Code of Conduct

Default Most non-linear/transforming/dynamic fragrances

I love how some of my favorite fragrances change, evolve and sometimes even seem to dance as I'm wearing them. I'm thinking about Jicky's transformation from tingling lavender civet to radiant floating vanilla, or how bandit starts off scary studded leather but ends up warm smokey nutmeg.

What are the most dynamic and changing fragrances you've smelled, the most dramatic evolution from top to base?

Default Re: Most non-linear/transforming/dynamic fragrances

Interesting question. For a mens frag I would put forward Tauer's LDDM which has a wonderful convoluted drydown. The final destination is the same but you always seem to arrive via a slightly different route.

Look forward to more

Le Temps d'une Fête by Parfums de Nicolaï starts out as a bright green aldehydic floral and transforms into sweet sandalwood. I noticed a similar development with Chanel No. 5; high pitched flowers subside to expose a lush, woody base.

For me, it would probably be Siecle.

(3740)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi is a real rollercoaster ride aswell

Banned
    Blog Entries

Some of the By Kilian Oud range

A Men

Surprisingly, I find Penhaligons English Fern to be very dynamic.

Indeed, vintage Guerlains were famous for their cinematographic evolution. Eg Chamade, from happy green floral to oily, sandalwoody drydown.

I don't get that big transformation in Bandit, but the perfume has changed over time in the base. To remain in Cellier's territory, Vent vert has the sharpest green opening, but then follows into a beautiful serene jasmine rosy floral.

(and since I *have* to talk again about the osmotheque, the mouilettes there allowed one to follow the evolution of these classics in slow motion, on paper it takes days to go from top to base).

cacio

Memoir Man has a very dynamic development to me, from creamy, minty absinthe to dusky, smoldering incense and woods. I also think of Tubereuse Criminelle of course, which moves from menthol-wintergreen craziness to a polite and beautiful floral. I'd also nominate 34 Boulevard St. Germain, which, though I haven't worn it myself, seems to traverse though more fragrance moments than any other scent I've experienced.

For me: MFK Absolue pour le soir, it starts animalic and turns into a rich honey labdanum--a dramatic evolution in my opinion!

34 Boulevard Saint Germain

for swap/sale:

To my nose: Creed BDP.

Lonestar Memories. Starting with that infamous barbecue in a parking lot, hot asphalt, gasoline, burning rubber and smoked meat, moving into a thick, cut-it-with-a-knife amber, and then turning surreally into sarsaparilla.

+1 for Memoir Man; the green angular opening, the frankincense heart and the gentleman's library ending.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Picking up on Cacio's remark regarding vintage Guerlains, I'll cast a vote for Djedi.
    A kind BNer once sent me a teeny-tiny sample and I remember remarking at the time just what a shape-shifter it was. I can hardly image what the perfume must have smelt like fresh from the factory.

One that comes to mind is Annick Goutal Les Nuits d'Hadrien.

I'll third Diptyque 34 Boulevard St. Germain and add Chanel Bois des Iles. Most woody floral fragrances transform quite a bit, at least of the few I've tried. Most start out very strong in the florals and develop into really wonderfully rich sweet woods with floral in the background.

Iquitos
    Cuir Ottoman

Not everyone's cup of tea but Divin Enfant by ELdO is pretty amazing -- Orange Blossom and Rose which gradually transforms into a screamimg leather and sweet tobacco.

The original L'Homme by Versace was an ever changing masterpiece.

Guerlain Habit Rouge EdC is very dynamic and thoroughly enjoyable in every phase.
    Tauer's Lonestar Memories also covers a lot of very interesting territory in a single wearing.