Code of Conduct

Default Eva Kant-for Men and Women Oh yes she can deliver

Well this year Santa was very nice to me. I have been gifted a bottle of Eva Kant from O'Driu. After wearing it(living in it) for a while I thought I would put my thoughts out there.

The most important thing to note of the top is this a Unisex fragrance. It can be easily worn by men or women.

The packaging is cheeky, arriving in a black Bakelite can with a yellow bottom. The bottle is nestled comfortably in a black bakelite holder and a cap reminiscent of a severe pulled back hairstyle. Its a lovely presentation, all done with a smile and nod to the early sixties. (And, there is a comic book included, yup thats right.)

The fragrance is an hommage to Eva Kant. The eternal partner-in-crime of the anti-hero Diabolik. Its been 50 years since we first met these two.

To celebrate the nose Angelo Pregroni of O'Driu has created this wonderful fragrance for all to enjoy.
    The note pyramid and drydown represent the true nature of the character.

The "cool" initial impression one would get meeting the glacial beauty is reflected in the initial cold blast of grapefruit. This highly realistic citrus shot is somewhat moderated by a beautiful lavender note that follows. As the grapefruit slowly fades, the spicier aspects of the scent are revealed and mingle with the lavender. A slight floral note of magnolia accompanies the ginger and cardamom.

As you approach the final aspects of the scent the warm resinous notes combined with the benzoin and vanilla develop. For me the effect is almost "narcotic". I couldn't stop smelling myself.

I will tell you I have received a few compliments I wasn't expecting. Two male friends asked me what it was and where they could get it. After I told them they frowned, and said thanks.

By the numbers:
    Overall-9/10
    Presentation-9/10
    longevity-for me its around 8 hours
    projection-is modest but completely sufficient
    uniqueness-a big 9.5/10(its O'Driu)

To conclude, this is another superb fragrance from this house. They have risen to the top of the niche perfume market(IMHO) in short order. I have not tried the whole line but everything I have worn has been well crafted and thought out. The nose knows what hes doing.

So what do you think?

Thank you for reading this.

Rex
    Last edited by trex57; 2nd February 2014 at 11:23 PM.

Default Re: Eva Kant-for Men and Women Oh yes she can deliver

Thank you for the in-depth review, Steve.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the review Trex57. This sounds very good.

Thanks for posting - I too have fallen in love with this one but am not so sure it's actually grapefruit....could it be chinotto?
    Plus bitter orange maybe - it's so nice that I'm waiting for some EO's...
    The same note is present although less prominent in Maria Candide's Exultat.

Whatever it is, it's a current favourite
    Last edited by lpp; 3rd February 2014 at 08:35 AM.

Glad to see some love for this stuff. Eva Kant should be seriously preserved from becoming an hidden gem. Tremendous.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Glad to see some love for this stuff. Eva Kant should be seriously preserved from becoming an hidden gem. Tremendous.
    Completely agree. BTW, I am thankful that you brought this house to the attention of myself and all BNers.

Cheers Rex

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Two male friends asked me what it was and where they could get it. After I told them they frowned, and said thanks.
    Worth reading your review just for this! LOL This is surely why so many became BNers - to discover such a thing!!!

I don't know exactly why but I was very underwhelmed with this one.

Perhaps because I tried Peety a couple of minutes before it or I had higher expectations.

Anyways, at least one more proper test is in order before a final write off.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I don't know exactly why but I was very underwhelmed with this one.

Perhaps because I tried Peety a couple of minutes before it or I had higher expectations.

Anyways, at least one more proper test is in order before a final write off.

I can certainly understand why this occured. I enjoy both Peety and Eva. Peety, to me, is "heavier" in its nature. If you try one then the other in short order you could be underwhelmed by Eva.

Thanks for reading the review.

Rex

Great review! This may well be the best part:

Two male friends asked me what it was and where they could get it. After I told them they frowned, and said thanks.
    I like Eva Kant very much indeed too (thank you, lpp!) It's practically a comfort scent for me, and so different from Pregoni's handling of the classic O'driu line. It has been compared with Fate Woman, but I like Eva Kant much more - more facets, structurally more interesting, and very importantly, more space to breathe. And the fact that it's much drier.

Glad that you're enjoying Eva Kant, rowan - the line is new to me but this one has made me determined to explore further!

I can certainly understand why this occured. I enjoy both Peety and Eva. Peety, to me, is "heavier" in its nature. If you try one then the other in short order you could be underwhelmed by Eva.

Thanks for reading the review.

Rex
    I didn't mean underwhelmed comparing intensity/strength. I meant from a composition perspective.

I do not judge perfumes by how strong out how long they last.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Institution

I was not aware this one was lavender prominent, interesting.

Would anyone compare this to Kiki by Vero Profumo, another sort of gourmand-lavender.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Would anyone compare this to Kiki by Vero Profumo, another sort of gourmand-lavender.
    I don't find them similar. I love both to bits but if I were to describe them in a nutshell, I'd say Vero's is more merely focused on lavender and enriched with caramel notes whereas Eva Kant is probably more complex and played all around juxtapositions and subtle stridencies but, most of all, Eva Kant is drier…a lot drier...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It isn't actually lavender-prominent, at least not to me. The lavender in Eva Kant rides high above the skin and ghosts in and out as it pleases. I used to think it was residue from something else I was wearing, but I'm pretty sure it's from the EK now.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks guys
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Is it possible that Eva Kant has been overlooked due to discussions around the customisation aspects of Peety?

I have yet to sample Peety but was very impressed by the intrinsic 'stylishness' of Eva Kant - the composition has been handled with an elegance and balance that seems unusual given the nature of the ingredients.

It certainly seems a very appropriate scent for Eva Kant and very wearable.

eva_mostra_cinquantanni.jpg
    Last edited by lpp; 6th February 2014 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Is it possible that Eva Kant has been overlooked due to discussions around the customisation aspects of Peety?

I have yet to sample Peety but was very impressed by the intrinsic 'stylishness' of Eva Kant - the composition has been handled with an elegance and balance that seems unusual given the nature of the ingredients.

Yes, I think your right on the money with that.

Regards Rex

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post

COMPLETELY agree.

Wearing this today, just got a sample to test. TERRIFIC fragrance!
    Last edited by Colin Maillard; 8th May 2014 at 01:54 PM.
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Jil Sander - Man
    Comme des Garçons - Black
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascèse
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Yay
    I bought a back-up bottle!