Code of Conduct

Default Obscure vs marketing Gurus

By obscure I do not mean lower end or low quality,

I mean it is not known to the masses.

So, which houses do you think, if given

the right marketing and the same hype like

other big houses ( Creed, Bond no 9 to name a few)

Would become very popular?

My vote would go for Le Labo, but they need to change their bottling scheme,

not everyone cares for a fresh blended and customized label.

Default Re: Obscure vs marketing Gurus

LM Parfums
    Memo
    Eutopie
    Les Liquides Imaginaires

(3755)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Perfums de Marley
    Kerosene

Le labo is becoming quite well known already. Although they are pretty good. I have heard of some of these.
    If you want obscure? Here:
    www.nothingperfume.com
    Click on the center symbol.
    Tucked away in a forrested section of the city of Winnipeg, Canada is a perfumer named Michael. He works with oils and has some standard creations, and he also creates individualized perfumes and colognes. All oils. I have traveled here, and you feel like you are entering a witches house. I was there in the summer when the city didnt have the reputation of being colder then the planet Mars (-51??) In the summer it was quite nice, and the perfumer there was quite interesting. I bought a bottle called "pure sex" I believe. And I love the Ambergris. If you are looking for something different. Try him.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Michael ♌

(I swear its not me at all)

Michael ♌

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    LM Parfums
    Memo
    Eutopie
    Les Liquides Imaginaires

(3755)
    I have not tried LM Parfums & Les Liquides Imaginaires
    I agree about MEMO & Eutopie

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Perfums de Marley
    Kerosene
    I see that PdM have already started to appear more in 2013 and for a good reason

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMuscle View Post
    Le labo is becoming quite well known already. Although they are pretty good. I have heard of some of these.
    If you want obscure? Here:
    www.nothingperfume.com
    Click on the center symbol.
    Tucked away in a forrested section of the city of Winnipeg, Canada is a perfumer named Michael. He works with oils and has some standard creations, and he also creates individualized perfumes and colognes. All oils. I have traveled here, and you feel like you are entering a witches house. I was there in the summer when the city didnt have the reputation of being colder then the planet Mars (-51??) In the summer it was quite nice, and the perfumer there was quite interesting. I bought a bottle called "pure sex" I believe. And I love the Ambergris. If you are looking for something different. Try him.

Thanks for bringing this to the light, I wonder what is this "beyond sex"!
    They have been around since 1993, so they must have been doing pretty well
    to survive till now

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMuscle View Post
    (I swear its not me at all)

hhh, I was about to point this out since you are both Mikes!

I realized that Le Labo has a store in NYC. What are their 3 best frags? I may check them out.

And how does Creed and Bond No 9 market their frags? I know Creed attaches Celebrities to their brand. Also, I'm sure they do events. But I never see these aforesaid houses marketing through traditional methods (magazine ads/outdoor signage/Department store sprayers/etc).

Banned
    Blog Entries

Sonoma Scent Studios
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    I realized that Le Labo has a store in NYC. What are their 3 best frags? I may check them out.

And how does Creed and Bond No 9 market their frags? I know Creed attaches Celebrities to their brand. Also, I'm sure they do events. But I never see these aforesaid houses marketing through traditional methods (magazine ads/outdoor signage/Department store sprayers/etc).
    You should definitely check Rose 31

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Sonoma Scent Studios
    Odin
    Have never tried Sonoma Scent Studios, I will put it in my radar

Random fact:

Le Labo supplied the toilettries of the Park Hyatt (I think it was this one; it's the one across from World Wildlife Fund HQs) when I stayed there in Washington DC a couple years ago. Bergamote 22 soap, shampoo, conditioner, body gel, etc. So I think they are making good money as the house brand for some more upscale hotels.

Point being Le Labo isn't as obscure as some might think.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Random fact:

Le Labo supplied the toilettries of the Park Hyatt (I think it was this one; it's the one across from World Wildlife Fund HQs) when I stayed there in Washington DC a couple years ago. Bergamote 22 soap, shampoo, conditioner, body gel, etc. So I think they are making good money as the house brand for some more upscale hotels.

Point being Le Labo isn't as obscure as some might think.
    Very interesting

Lol Rose 31 huh. Ive heard what that one supposedly smells like

Michael ♌

+1 for Kerosene because of the bottle design.

I think L'Artisan is rather obscure but with the right push could really change the industry. They've got a huge catalogue, great styles, sexy packaging, and reasonable prices. Yes, there's a loyal fanbase but it's not 'popular' stuff.

maybe also Atelier. I know they just go into Sephora so I'm curious how that pans out. I think they're light wearing/scented EdC's and huge bottles so good bang for buck, both of which the general public should like.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I think L'Artisan is rather obscure but with the right push could really change the industry. They've got a huge catalogue, great styles, sexy packaging, and reasonable prices. Yes, there's a loyal fanbase but it's not 'popular' stuff.

maybe also Atelier. I know they just go into Sephora so I'm curious how that pans out. I think they're light wearing/scented EdC's and huge bottles so good bang for buck, both of which the general public should like.
    Could not agree more, especially with stuff like Timbuktu, down right amazing.

I like quite a lot of l'Artisan perfumes, and I'm deeply in love with a few from Parfums de Nicolai too.

I'm not sure that I'd actually want PdN to become mainstream though, because I like knowing that others walking towards me aren't going to be wearing a scent as beautiful as mine.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Perhaps some of the less generic, less best-selling designer houses could have an extra boost of popularity (with or without releasing exclusive lines, provided they haven't already released "near niche" lines yet).

Quote Originally Posted by salim96 View Post

hhh, I was about to point this out since you are both Mikes!
    Thank you yes, Something different. I do enjoy Le Labo tho. Pure Distance is another good one.

Michael ♌

There are so many interesting niche frags around.

Michael ♌

Creed is supposedly the oldest perfume house around. Since King Louis apparently. I love them but would classify all those as commercial now. Hmm some good niche. Let me check my cabinet

Michael ♌

Blood Concept. I really like my new COACH 1 2 and 3 frags with their new note of baseball glove leather. (Im assuming synthetic note) technically unisex but smells masculine to me. Most women probably dont want to smell like baseball gloves.
    Okay Tom of finland from Libre dorange
    Im trying ro figure out this name

Michael ♌

Slumberhouse

Michael ♌

Barkhane

Michael ♌

Winter Redwood Backpacker’s Cologne

Michael ♌

Hard leather lm parfums, or Dueto Golden Boy

Michael ♌

Im on the oud bandwagon so virtually anything there interests me. Montale. Acqua di parma (okay now we're getting back into commercial territory again)
    Um, Carthusia if you are looking for cologne made from monks.
    I love Baldessarini, Hugo Bosses high end Austrian brand, the one called Ambre. It smells like leather apple rum, altho it does last long.

Michael ♌

Its to the point now I only order online or purchase in specialty stores. Mainstream stores dont interest me snymore altho im very curious to smell the new Orange Fendi Aqua for men

Michael ♌

@MikeMuscle - we may edit posts to add info.

^ yes, editing would be great.

I can't think of any niche house that would blow up on sheer marketing. The major factor would still be price.

Not many people are willing to pay $100+ for a perfume.

Le Labo is quite well known, esp in my country. As are tom ford private blends, amouages, and definitely creeds. Its only the price that's keeping these niche as of yet.

L'Artisan is probably the single most well known niche house that isn't very high end. They don't really need to do much except perhaps concentrate on their better perfumes. Atelier Cologne is now stocked at Sephora in addition to the regular perfumeries and department stores, that's near the edge of niche now.

Parfums de Nicolai definitely need a profile. MDCI need a website with text alignment. Tauer is right where he should be.

Those are all the ones I can think of atm.

It depends on what's meant by "blow up." I think Slumberhouse would be one that could definitely increase revenues dramatically if it were marketed outside of word of mouth marketing on boards like this. However, due to the small lineup of fragrances and limited man power (one guy operating everything) I believe it would take more than than just marketing for this to happen. I'm not sure someone like Josh or Laurie at Sonoma Scent Studios could handle such an increase in demand without hiring help and changing the dynamic of the businesses as a whole.

Also, it does depend on how these fragrances would be marketed and to what customer profile. The average consumer is definitely not interested in the obscure or odd fragrance creations and would find some of the fragrances we basenoters love...repulsive. Can you imagine Black Afgano behind the Macys counter? Tom Ford has done it best with his mainstream "niche" esque fragrances, however, he's pissed off a decent amount of the fragrance community with recent sub-par releases. It's a real balancing act to be honest...
    Last edited by rynegne; 7th February 2014 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    It depends on what's meant by "blow up." I think Slumberhouse would be one that could definitely increase revenues dramatically if it were marketed outside of word of mouth marketing on boards like this. However, due to the small lineup of fragrances and limited man power (one guy operating everything) I believe it would take more than than just marketing for this to happen. I'm not sure someone like Josh or Laurie at Sonoma Scent Studios could handle such an increase in demand without hiring help and changing the dynamic of the businesses as a whole.
    It would also take the aspiration to "blow up"—something that not every creative wants. In fact, in some cases, mechanisms have been set in motion specifically to prevent lines from "blowing up"—even in light of offers to do so.

I have some close friends that use to work for a popular luxe brand that designed paradoxical marketing campaigns. They do a balancing act. For example on one side they might mass market the hell out of a mens cologne, and let that be the only one for a while. And then create L'exclusif's and never market them at all. Sometimes even luxury brands create products and TRY NOT to sell them. Afterall thats what keeps the integrity of their brand. But then how do you make money?
    You sell diamond rings to arabs etc. Its a strange world. You sell, but you also keep the exclusivity so you dont sell too much. A paradox. You sell and you try not to sell at the same time. You create the need and then place it out of reach. I like some big brands for sure but i also like niche brands. There is something to be said for perfumes or products that are good enough to be popular but stay small. Even though I am skeptical and think that all of them will sell out eventually, theres a part of me that hopes they dont.

Michael ♌