Code of Conduct

Default French Lover vs. Spice and Wood

I know the connection between these two has been noted before elsewhere, as well as some of the disparities. That said, what I'm really interested in is opinions regarding projection and longevity.

I've tested both extensively for several days (which may be a factor) but can't decide particularly on French Lover / Bois d'Orage's projection and longevity - sometimes I sense it, other times it seems to all but disappear within half an hour.

Spice and Wood on the other hand is noted for its (likely by design) low, EdC like projection, although fairly good longevity, which I agree with. My personal issue is that I was new to this genre, fell in love with Spice and Wood so much via sample that I bought not one, but two flacons (ridiculous, I know) and have struggled to find a place in my collection for the scent ever since. Do I treat it like an incredibly well done eau de cologne, and chalk it up (kind of how I've reconciled my mind with Gucci Pour Homme II) or is there more to it?

When I found French Lover / BdO I thought I'd found - and may have - the frag to replace S&W's itch scratching w/r/t projection and longevity. But I can't tell if FL/BdO just mellows to a skin scent real fast (seen some discussion of this, but nothing definitive) or perhaps, what I'm hoping, pulls the same olfactory fatigue trick that Aventus does.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: French Lover vs. Spice and Wood

Both of them are high class scents,
    and both of them for me have average longevity,
    I will go for Spice and wood for the juice quantity
    and for the artistic bottle

I haven't sampled french lover, but want to. I own SW and for me, it has excellent longevity and sillage. I have even received complements on it. I feel that SW is there even when you think it isn't. Its very smooth and well blended.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Own both and get get longevity from both. Don't want to be without either,

(3753)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Own both and get get longevity from both. Don't want to be without either,

(3753)
    This!

Post Thanks / Like

I have not tried spice and wood, so I cannot compare. I must be hypersensitive to some molecule in BdO because after an exhilarating start (green, dark, mossy) it goes into this huge wood that's loud and lasts a long time, and certainly doesn't settle to a smooth skin scent. But as said, I'm probably not the right person to judge.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

really enjoy both scents (from top to bottom), but if I had to choose, I'd go with S&W by the slightest margin

I have had a bottle of French Lover for years but just never wear it. It's a bit austere and unfriendly for my tastes. Spice & Wood comes across as a more youthful and accessible scent.

french lover

Post Thanks / Like

I think of French Lover (Bois d'Orage) as a modernized old school masculine, a masculine with some chutzpah. Virile, has the same vibe as things like Jules (Dior) but not as dark, and easier to wear. FL can seem intensely red vegetal with the angelica overdose but that usually smooths out once you've smelled it a few times.

Sampling it you're better off using a light dose, preferably smelling the sillage rather than saturating the back of your hand and jamming it up your nose for hours. You won't need to because it's pretty aromatic. Either way, best to get a little distance from it in order to smell it at its best. Weird how some days it smells so red and green but other times much softer with a milder version of sweetness as in Musc Ravageur.

Main thing I remember about Spice and Wood is it was generic and dull. Felt the same about Royal Oud. Too sweet but it's a hair better.
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd February 2014 at 09:18 PM.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Spice and Wood was a real letdown when I sampled it last year - pleasant smelling, but boring and completely unoriginal. While Bois d'Orage is not one of my favorites from EdP, it easily is the one I would choose of the two and a worthy addition to anyone's wardrobe, IMO.
    Last edited by drseid; 3rd February 2014 at 11:38 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

I just recently bought French Lover. I get amazing longevity, and I never feel like it becomes a skin scent until the day is over.

Spice and Wood to me for some reason reminds me of aventus without the pineapple. It's a nice enough scent, but not interesting enough for me to get excited about.

I still feel like Royal Oud should have been called spice and wood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I have had a bottle of French Lover for years but just never wear it. It's a bit austere and unfriendly for my tastes. Spice & Wood comes across as a more youthful and accessible scent.
    Unfriendly - yeap, thats the right word for French Lover. I can sense it on me rather than smell. A disturbing mix of fresh black pepper, some smoke and a huge blast of musk, very oily.

Post Thanks / Like

I also tried FL recently and found it quite weak given that it is advertised as an EdP. On paper the notes look very appealing to me.

However, S&W to my nose is one of the worst fragrances ever created. It gives me a headache and although spices and woods are some of my favourite notes, this reminds me nothing like it. Suppose S&W is what the first edition of Red Vetyver smelt like when it was still in a lab.
    Current UK sales

havnet tried FL, however Spice and wood was not a winner for me. Its airy, its got a "papery" feel to me. Not much spice and not much wood. At least not rich ones. I felt like longevity was terrible on me. Im talking like 2 hours tops. I could smell it on myself, but I didnt feel like it was projecting much. Nobody commented. I prefer royal oud over S and W.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably a toss up! I prefer Bois d' Orage. Smells better to me.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed Spice and Wood. To me it was indeed a sort of Aventus but with different materials. I found a lot of the same aspects that I truly adore in Aventus, so S&W is on my list. The only issue is the flacon size / price. It's a cool 710ish USD here in Norway. Not far off the official price but still just a whole lot of money for a fragrance, and I'm almost sure I'll never get to drain that beautiful flacon due to a decent collection of other fragrances.

But hey, have to have something to wish for when that job finally opens up and I start making decent money. And I'm heading straight for a sample of French Lover / Bois d' Orage. I'm gathering it's the same fragrance with a different name for different markets? I'll pop by my Malle supplier and check it out soon due to this thread. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Spice & wood by miles..

I really should have, in retrospect, emphasized that my question was primarily targeted at projection/sillage, not which scent you prefer - although I'm intrigued by and appreciate the commentary!

Interesting perspectives. For those of you who do enjoy one of them, do you have any suggestions on other fragrances in this general theme / genre? i.e., I dunno, peppered woods?

I agree on Royal Oud being a bit more aptly called 'Spice and Woods' than S&W itself. Big, big fan of that one; I've a tendency to go from S&W during the day to RO for the evening hours. Since buying FL/BdO I've been doing the same thing with it for the evening, as it strikes me as a 'danker,' 'dirtier,' kind of take on the idea.

To the people with headaches - wow. Bummer, sorry to hear. So interesting how we all react.

Jack, I recall you saying you (when you did wear it, at least) reserved FL/BdO for Fall only. I think I can dig on that. Would you consider S&W equally Fall/Spring appropriate (insofar as some of us care about such compartmentalizing, which for me is part of the fun...)?

Yes I found FL reminds me of a forest after the rain in the Fall but S&W is a lot fresher and not so conservative. I think it would suit both the Fall and Spring as though it is not as complex as FL it is more uplifting/youthful smelling.

Post Thanks / Like

i would say.... neither.... i own BdO, and steer away from creed in general. i will go by my general house assessments - malle is extremely artistic, but although i own a bunch, i never wear it... somehow i don't feel comfortable although i respect the house a lot. creed is in general a generic mess for me.
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

offsite splits: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=617

current top 5, random order: Xerjoff Zafar, Vero Onda, Chanel Coromandel, Indult Reve en Cuir, Ex-Idolo 33

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Post Thanks / Like

I own Spice and Wood and it has above average longevity and projection, especially for a Creed. I've only sampled French Lover (Bois d'Orage) on my arm and can only say that it smells very very similar to Spice and Wood. I know French Lover came out a few years before Spice and Wood, so I wonder if Creed got any inspiration from it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Bois d' Orage smells greener and a little more of the earth than Spice and Wood. Bois d' Orage is built around angelica root accented with galbanum and vetiver. Sometimes when I'm wearing it I think of it as a vetiver scent. Spice and Wood doesn't have either vetiver or galbanum. I think Spice and Wood is an excellent fragrance but it is different than Bois d' Orage. Some others that smell kind of similar to Bois d' Orage are Ramon Monegal Umbra, Yosh Sombre Negra and Hylands (DS & Durga) Pale Grey Mountain Small Black Lake. The only fragrance I recall smells similar to Spice and Wood is Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumerur, although it is not as somber as S&W.

Post Thanks / Like

They're both very good but I find Spice & Wood to be too toned down for my likes.
    I find French Lover to be just right between bold & daily use.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale: