Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Monday, 3 February, 2014.

Hi everyone - have a great day!

Deep Purple - Pell Wall.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Monday, 3 February, 2014.

Morning All,

Habit Rouge (EdT) to kick off the working week. I actually smelt this on a waiter Friday night and dang!, it smelt great.
    Jon - I hope you had a pleasant getaway.

Best to all.

Teardrop Opardu and Guerlinade are wonderful for a heady lilac hit. ErinK congratulations on that lovely vintage Arpege, it’s a stunner. Frou Frou what a mischievous and adorable pup you have there. Being reliant on glasses I feel your pain especially the cost and hassle involved in getting a new pair.

I think I’ve spent less than a week at home this year with all the travel and really looking forward to sleeping in my own comfy bed. Needed something to shake me out of holiday mode so going with a trio of Guerlain. I guess February is as good a month as any to start doing some work.

Vetiver for the morning yoga and run, L’heure Bleue for the office and vintage Mitsouko this evening. Preparing for a long night reviewing a few hundred of pages of legislation. Thinking Captain Pinot Noir may need to come to my rescue soon.

Have a wonderful Monday everyone.
    Last edited by Xscent; 3rd February 2014 at 09:54 AM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Blog Entries

Morning all!

Thanks Xscent for the tip!

Wearing Cinema on this grey, windy day.

Have a good week, everyone.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Monday, 3 February, 2014.

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Morning all! At last, after weeks of being unable to work or drive, due to various
    breakages (toe, leg and then collar bone), I am now off to work as a supply teacher for the first time since
    early October! Just hope I can remember what to do!!
    Smelling good in Comme UneEvidence by Yves Rocher - that always perks me up
    with it's slightly tart, rhubarby beginning.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Le Sportif by G. Nejman

(3757)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone, Shalimar for me. Wish you all a great start to your week.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Hello all,
    +

Hi, gang -

Kewart, welcome back to work! Glad to see you're on your feet again (literally) and smelling divine.

Needed something to go with my cobalt blue suede blazer this morning, and found myself reaching for Balmain's Jolie Madame. It feels surprisingly balanced given everything that's in there, and the leather is prominent from the get-go. I feel very nicely coordinated.

Jolie Madame notes: Artemisia, coriander, gardenia, neroli, bergamot, petitgrain, cloves, tuberose, narcissus, orris root, jasmine, rose, orange blossom, violet leaf, lilac, leather, patchouli, musk, coconut, civet, oakmoss, vetiver, cedar and tobacco.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

queen of the universe

dear kewart—best of luck! (note to self: do NOT say "break a leg!")

Continuing to think spring, groundhog nothwithstanding, in Weil deWeil.

I'm finding that the three days in a row I devote to any new-to-me fragrance is also useful for appreciating those I already have, especially when there is a shift of genre—spicy winter orientals and chypres to this famously bitter green chypre. I wonder which of my fragrances is the—wait for it—black chypre—so sorry! No, I'm not! (;
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling Kenzo Power this morning
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Good afternoon from rainy-as-usual Milan !
    Etro Patchouly for me.

"Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon !. Glad you are firing on all cylinders again, Kewart

SotD is Arquiste L'Etrog.

Many thanks, G - a good time was had by all
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 3rd February 2014 at 12:33 PM.

Layered a couple samples, Back to Black and Nectarine Blossom and Honey. Good stuff, wouldn't mind an fb of either really. Back is good for that sweet honey(though I am sure there are cheaper ones out there) and the Jo is good for that more floral, honey scent.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Calsified vibes for Kewart, dear.

IT'S MONDAY!
    CHANEL BEL RESPIRO AND THIS WILL HELP:
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

hello all. Caron Pour Un Homme
    DONNA

Ambre Russe

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

School is closed-- an unexpected snow day. What was supposed to be a "light dusting" is now an expected 4-8" of wet snow, with more to come Wednesday and again next Monday.

Daughter has been wanting to make pots of tea and watch the A&E version of Pride & Prejudice again, so I guess that is what we'll be doing today, between shoveling episodes.

SotD is Demeter Gingerale.

Good morning, good smelling people.

Neil Morris Posh this morning. And some lingering Henna smell. There was fog out the windows at work and it was like someone had taken an eraser and erased the world. Very odd feeling to look out and just see blankness!

Funny and slightly on topic - you know how a waiter will open a bottle of wine and let you smell it before pouring? The other day in the coffee shop the barista put the teabags in a cup then handed me the cup - I was confused until I realized he wanted me to smell it. Cracked me up but it certainly did smell very good, it was so funny because it was both sweet and pretentious at the same time.

Congratulations on your recovery, Kewart. It must be a relief to be back up and around!

Hello everyone,

It's Eau Duelle by Diptyque today. Weather is low 60s and cloudy. We were hoping for rain but the drought continues in California. Have a good day!

Good morning everyone!

Well, thanks to Foustie figuring out the problem, I can now once again post on my work computer! Cello, I wonder if you have been having the same issue - check out Foustie's post in the bug forum.

30 Roses, tea and Pride and Prejudice sounds like a fantastic way to spend a snow day!!!

Also, cello, I am thinking of you today, as my SOTD is Iris Poudre.

Photo: Autochrome, c. 1910.

Blog Entries

MDCI- Une Coeur En Mai

Encore Noire by Lalique

Mitsouko EdP today.

Kalli, I see the Honey bug has truly bitten you. Enjoy! It's a lovey experience, though some think it smells of pee more than anything, I've yet to experience that particular aspect. I had a sample of Back to Black which I accidentally dumped all over my table, need to try again.
    Last edited by danieq; 3rd February 2014 at 03:40 PM.

Marilyn Miglin Pheromone

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Mitsouko EdP today.

Kalli, I see the Honey bug has truly bitten you. Enjoy! It's a lovey experience, though some think it smells of pee more than anything, I've yet to experience that particular aspect. I had a sample of Back to Black which I accidentally dumped all over my table, need to try again.
    Ya, I have always liked the honey , I don't get pee either..except Miel de Bois was too animalic and no offense to anyone, but it smelled just like this ferret I had with me for a few weeks. I have posted that before..but uncanny how it seemed to have smelled like that cute, but pesky little brat. I was glad when the owner picked that darn thing up..he thought his food bowl was the best place to poop..what a brat. Or on the floor..ferret poop is really hard to clean and it can leave stains on the floor. I'd clean his cage cause he'd poop on his food, he'd get out and then poop on my floor. Poopy, little brats they are. Miel doesn't smell like his poop though, more like his fur.
    Last edited by kalli; 3rd February 2014 at 05:58 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I am going to shop for glasses and am wearing La Perla, but if we leave late I might switch to Balmain de Balmain.

30 Roses, Problem is my glasses are so expensive, just imagine how many perfumes I could buy... Otherwise I would love a back-up pair, I am seriously considering a backup pair of prescription sunglasses though. Especially here in sunny Dallas they would really come in handy, in the Netherlands it would have been a bit extravagant.
    Do you have netflix? They have the 1981 Pride and Prejudice series which I love, it is very true to the book. Although mr Darcy is really too stiff, I find everybody else so human. The 1990's which I also love, is overdoing it a bit.

X-scent, Thanks, the Horrible Hound is not sorry. I could make a long list of the other stuff he has destroyed... Enjoy your own bed!

jujy45, I always tend to wear a fragrance about three days in a row, unless something earth shattering happens.

Jon, what a gorgeous photo! The altar of scent!
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Plus

SotE - En Passant.

Mmm, Jon, don't you smell lovely!! Trying to imagine En Passant on a man...I would imagine it's a warm and snuggly comfort scent on a man...mmm!

Kalli, you just cracked me UP with your ferret story. My cousin used to be obsessed with ferrets and I don't remember the poo smell, but man, I remember that thing reeking of urine. (Speaking of animalic scents, I think Onda could be the scent of a ripe ferret....)

It is so interesting how we are each drawn to different scents. I love honey (as in, it's like one of my favorite things in the whole entire world) but I don't want to smell like it. My reaction when I tried Back to Black was, "Honey...but if I can't dump it on a biscuit and stuff it in my mouth, what's the point?"

Have you tried Beige, erink? It's less biscuity sweet and more floral. Lol, the pee was just as bad! Nothin like ferret pee!

Kalli, yes, I really like Beige as a matter of fact. I know Beige has honey notes/accord, but I never think of it as a honey scent because I get mostly frangipani from it.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post
    Kalli, yes, I really like Beige as a matter of fact. I know Beige has honey notes/accord, but I never think of it as a honey scent because I get mostly frangipani from it.
    I guess I could have looked at your wardrobe, derp. lol. I usually don't like freesia, I must not get hit over the head with it in that scent.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

FrouFrou, Sunglasses sound like good idea!
    I don't think I've seen a 1981 version. I'll have to look for it! The more, the merrier.
    We do love the one with Colin Firth, though.

Having cleared most of the snow (it's still coming down), now I'm in Provence Santé Verbena.

Basenotes Institution

gandhajala - I think Habit Rouge smells so good, when I smell it on someone. I work around lot's of French people (co-workers & customers) so I catch a whiff of it ever so often. One of my work buddies wears it & he's a smoker and I swear sometimes the combination of the two smells fantastic! It has a somewhat more radiant texture here in the S. Florida humidity. Which is why I gravitate mostly towards the EdC.
    xscent - I can't imagine traveling that much. I love my own bed.
    kewart - congratulations on your healthy return!
    easyfish - the combination of Michael Kors & Angel sounds nuclear! Enjoy
    Jon Rodgers - I remember shopping with Redneck Perfumisto & his wife in Barney's and they bought a bottle of L'Etrog. It smelled good on both of them. It always makes me think of that fun afternoon.
    30 Roses - your daughter sounds like an Anglophile, like me. Lovely afternoon!
    Robin-in-FL - I have NEVER heard of a waiter asking me to sniff a tea bag. HIlarious.

I have heard Monsieur Guerlain say this before, about my SOTD - that it acts sometimes as a 'reset button' for my nose. I find that when I wear it (it's such a solid, classic, serious scent) that I'm able to go back to sampling the other, much more complex and modern scents, in my wardrobe. Today, it was vintage EdT

Vetiver by Guerlain

I have sampled and owned many other vetiver scents, smelled real vetiver roots, even owned various vetiver scented bath products and yet this scent continues to be my Favorite Vetiver. I am almost out of the vintage EdT so I think when I go to replace it, I might get some of the next formulation (the one they already reformulated yet another time, in the silver capped glass rectangular bottle) the one in the ribbed bottle. I still own vintage EdC, so both have their merits. And I have Shower Gel in my shower, of course.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 3rd February 2014 at 07:23 PM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Erin, those autochrome photos are utterly charming, do keep posting them!

Jon, l love that lilac with butterfly pic, too.

Wearing vintage Magie Noir this evening, but l think this juice has turned...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain tonight
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

happy is the bleu heart<3

This was a busy and very long day at work ... just now getting home after 12+ hours. I wore L'Instant today, first time in a long time. I love the honey note in this ... kalli, have you tried L'Instant? It is a little powdery, maybe too powdery for you though.

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Hmm, I think I have at the store but it was a very quick sniff, will have to try it again, shades.

Sampling Gucci by Gucci..too much patchouli covering up the honey. I don't like too much patch most of the time, it just overpowers over everything. Also, sampling Rose Jam..which first got a meh, then a lovely lemon has popped up..very nice. Lastly, I sampled Snowcake, which, on me, is a weak juice..reminds me of a candle that came out of some light, sugar water. I get a smidge of violet..and something else but can't pinpoint it atm.