Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Today's Purchases -- February 2014

Kumquat, what a great deal! I only have a mini and a half-ounce parfum in the travel bottle.

How lovely Kumquat! And your kitty looks just like my George.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Blog Entries

Thanks ,Danieq, yes, that's Ray. Another of our shelter cats. We have 3.

Cedrat Boise and Roses Vanille by Mancera

Picked up a 50ml bottle of Bois Farine for only $30 shipped!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Kumquat, congratulations on the Guerlainade! I'm crossing my fingers that it reaches you without incident As for Mazzolari Vetyver, I really like it a lot! I've been impressed with Mazzolari generally, but Vetyver is really nice -- not excessively smoky or earthy, just a bit of green/moss and a hit of smokiness but somehow tied into and eau de cologne-type fragrance, maybe sort of like a Hermes, but richer. I'm going to get a decant of this to wear as the weather grows warmer.

Everyone has had such wonderful purchases this month -- lots of amazing vintage finds, too! Great job, folks!

In addition to the samples I reported above, I'm treating myself to some full bottles that have been on my wish list for a while:

CdG Zagorsk, Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine, Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere, Heeley Ophelia, Houbigant Oranger en Fleurs, Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver, Prada Infusion d'Iris EDP, and back-up bottles of Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille and A La Nuit.

Whew! Perhaps I should spread my FB purchases more evenly throughout the year

Blog Entries

Wow, ExtremeK, that's quite a shopping list! I hope you've got a nice refund coming from Uncle Sam! Thanks for your good wishes for my perfume. :-) I'm happy you liked the Vetyver. ​I found it to be quite floral, for a Vetiver scent. Charming and greenish/golden. A real find, IMO.

My back up bottle of Iris Ganache arrived this morning and I have a bottle of Cuir Beluga on its way .

Lunch and shopping with my sister and ended up with four more to add to the collection

Arquiste Fleur de Louis, L’Artisan Skin on Skin, Costume National So Nude and Penhaligon’s Sartorial.

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Nice going xscent.

I looove Sartorial. Should've stocked up when they were mistakenly selling the 100ml for $55!

Do you get the lipstick vibe from Skin on Skin?

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Nice going xscent.

I looove Sartorial. Should've stocked up when they were mistakenly selling the 100ml for $55!

Do you get the lipstick vibe from Skin on Skin?
    Thanks Hedonist, a get a touch of lipstick from the iris in Skin on Skin but the main player on my skin the awesome whiskey/saffron/leather combination. A back up or three would have been in order at $55! I did get the Sartorial at good price and I'm still very tempted to go back for second bottle.

Wow, y'all have really made some hauls this month!! ExtremeK, I am putting Heeley Ophelia on my test-list just for the name alone. (The Band's song "Ophelia" is one of my favorites ever.)

Here is the little cutie I have on its way: a vintage mini Diorissimo new in box.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Blog Entries

'Miss Balmain'
    an Ebay find for $35. Some are gouging for these. Don't pay huge money for them. They are tiny.
    Attached Images Attached Images

kumquat, I have never sniffed Miss Balmain but it is on the list! That pink box is soo cute. And I love when you post pics and we can see your kitty (that's Ray, isn't it?) in the background.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Blog Entries

ErinK, I hope you can find one of these on Ebay. Set your search and see if a good one comes up. I've seen them as low as $9!

LOL, yes, that's Ray and my husband's knees.

Mini of Boucheron pour femme, from an amazon seller Also the "squees" from ZOMG arrived, I wanted more of the Wrestling Tigers and got a few others to try.

Back up bottle of Houbigant's (not Dana's) Demi-jour.

I ordered my set of five samples from Parfums MDCI. Not only do they make wonderful perfume, but the owner Claude Marchal is just a delight. He cares not only about his fragrances but about his customers.

Well, since it looks like my Shocking de Schiaparelli is lost at the PO of origin (the seller told me this is the third time! I think there may be a perfume high-jacker, she sells other stuff but the fumes keep disappearing!), I decided to order another bottle that I found for a reasonable price. Hopefully, this one will arrive. The good thing, this one is still sealed in its original box!

Blog Entries

Here is my unopened Guerlinade! Safe and sound from Europe!

And opened!
    Last edited by kumquat; 22nd February 2014 at 04:44 PM.

Basenotes Plus

You are all so chique!
    Guerlinade, Shocking de Schiaparelli....
    I am just back from TJ Maxx and finally brought a bottle of Tea Rose by Perfumer's workshop. 10 dollars.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Thanks to Jon, I picked up a sample of Grossmith Golden Chypre.

Thanks to Evangeline and ErinK's love of all things green (+magnolia!!), I added samples of Vero Profumo Mito EDP and Mito Voile d'Extrait.

And last, but not least, thanks to cello, I finished with a sample of Parfumerie Generale Querelle.

You all are a bunch of enablers -- and I love you to pieces for it! And Xscent's the worst of the lot! I keep eyeing that 60ml bottle of Puredistance M ….

^^ Oh good - be sure to report back on your experiences there, especially with Mito. I have a sample of it and don't remember getting anything like magnolia, though it was amazingly, *surreally* green and fresh, crisp and sharp, almost like Vent Vert it was so green ...actually, I think it reminded me of a greener Private Collection, which is already pretty green to start ....so I guess you could say that my overall impression of Mito was one of greeeeeeeeen, but I'd love to have an excuse to dig it out and sniff for that magnolia again, if you think it's in there. Magnolia is *so* difficult to recreate, and nobody ever seems to agree on what it smells like, and it doesn't help that there are so many species and cultivars and they all smell different, but you really should like Mito if green is what you're after, whether or not you get the elusive magnolia.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Kumquat, is anything written on the scroll it comes with? I have seen that with Guerlainaide bottles and have wondered what that's all about.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Kumquat, is anything written on the scroll it comes with? I have seen that with Guerlainaide bottles and have wondered what that's all about.
    I don't know. I was afraid to open it. I'll see if I can without spoiling it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Thanks to Jon, I picked up a sample of Grossmith Golden Chypre.

Thanks to Evangeline and ErinK's love of all things green (+magnolia!!), I added samples of Vero Profumo Mito EDP and Mito Voile d'Extrait.

And last, but not least, thanks to cello, I finished with a sample of Parfumerie Generale Querelle.

You all are a bunch of enablers -- and I love you to pieces for it! And Xscent's the worst of the lot! I keep eyeing that 60ml bottle of Puredistance M ….
    Yep that’s me, enabler extraordinaire. I come from a long and distinguished line of enablers and it’s a talent I intend on developing into an art form. I’m wondering if Eva Kant might be one for your gourmand lovin’ nose? I’ll be picking up my 60ml ‘big girl’ bottle of M in NY. Vero is a line that needs further investigating on my part, wondering on the skank factor of Onda

Nice TF Jon

Blog Entries

Here is the scroll from the Guerlinade-
    image.jpg

A note from Jacques Guerlain about his devotion to the art of perfume.
    Last edited by kumquat; 24th February 2014 at 03:17 PM.

Xscent, you are more woman than me so I am sure you can pull off Onda. I probably won't want to sit next to you that day, though. I admire Vero Kern's artistry....just, wow, Onda, what a scent. My hat goes off to anyone who enjoys this. Also I would say that you already *have* turned enabling into an art form, and I won't blame you for it one bit!

ExtremeK, you got some nice treats there! I haven't smelled any of them.

And Frou, Tea Rose is wonderful. You can't do better for 10 bucks.

At least the bottle's cool if it's past it

$_12.JPG

Ipp, congrats my sister just bought this one and I think it's lovely, much more my style than Gin Fizz.

Thanks, Xscent - it will be interesting comparing it to the sample of the new version - which was the main reason for buying it.
    Gin Fizz is a little too vague for me as well!

Purchased last week and just arrived - another one removed from the missing list

IMG_2041.jpg

Lalique White
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    Sanoma Samples ( Winter Woods and Fig Tree)

Well done, sjg3839.

When my Vikt arrived earlier from Indiescents it was accompanied by samples of SSS Winter Woods & Incense Pure, Tauer's LDDM plus Pleasant Promenade by S.Poncet - just need clear sinuses now!

LOl....Those guys at Sanoma know how to make great scents. Quality fragrances at decent prices. They havent's seen the last of me
    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Well done, sjg3839.

When my Vikt arrived earlier from Indiescents it was accompanied by samples of SSS Winter Woods & Incense Pure, Tauer's LDDM plus Pleasant Promenade by S.Poncet - just need clear sinuses now!

I can't wait to try them, sjg3839

At least the bottle's cool if it's past it

$_12.JPG
    What a great purchase lpp. Well said about the bottle.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Xscent, you certainly need to try Onda. It's quite something. I haven't decided for myself if I could wear it but I do like it. I'd say it's very indolic and that's where the skank comes from. Well, if I'm remembering the right scent that is.

Thanks, Betsy

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Xscent, you certainly need to try Onda. It's quite something. I haven't decided for myself if I could wear it but I do like it. I'd say it's very indolic and that's where the skank comes from. Well, if I'm remembering the right scent that is.
    Danie and ErinK I will get it on it, lets see how it works on my skank taming skin. I might just order the whole line to sample.

Purchased last week and just arrived - another one removed from the missing list

IMG_2041.jpg
    Congrats lpp! Linfedele Haiku is one of my favourites (and also among most attainable) of the classic O'driùs.
    Would be interesting to hear what you think of the SSS samples - Winter Woods in particular is a rather nice warm amber.

And I can only encourage anyone who's interested in exploring Vero Profumo - they are all very imaginatively and tightly composed. I've had my samples for just a few days, and Kiki and Onda are already firm favourites. There is space on my shelf for Mito as well.

Thanks, rowan - it's good to finally have this one and the presentation is excellent quality
    Packing out the bottles with a little sacking bag is a very smart option too.

Incense Pure is the first sample on out of that batch, but since I already have Sahara Noir (admittedly less complex), it may not be an imminent purchase but time will tell - it's certainly beautifully done!

The Vero Profumo ones sound great too - looks like this is going to be an expensive time....

I ordered A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue last night.

Blog Entries

Just ordered a backup of Aperçu. ​I can't believe how good this one is. How is it possible this is still available?

Just received my Majora EDP. It does not disappointment. It's got that earthiness I love. The tops are my favorites tuberose and jasmine along with the sandlewood and vanilla dry down.

Since it's discontinued I must go order more at once. Just don't understand why this did not sell.

Mayotte is suppose to be the same but it is much more expensive and there have been some substitutions in the ingredients.

Just love these earthy deep perfumes.

Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Thanks to Evangeline, I was reminded I have never smelled Iris Ganache. I know this is one I will never own in FB, so let's just get that out of the way. They can be found on ebay for a bit less than $400 and The Perfumed Court is attempting to sell 75 ml in box for - wait for it - $899.25. As if eight hundred ninety-nine dollars just wasn't *quite* enough.

So I settled on a couple 4 ml "manufacturer mini tube," whatever that is, in my most expensive per-ml perfume purchase to date. At the time I ordered them they said they had 10 left. Naturally, I am half expecting them to email me back and say they are out of stock.

I've been on quite a buying spree this month, finding great deals on some goodies from my wish list.

Ormonde Jayne Tolu
    Vero Mito
    Neela Vermeire Trayee
    Neela Vermeire Ashoka
    Apres L'Ondee (back-up bottle)

Feast this month = famine next month!

Ending the month purchasing Serge Lutens Arabie and Amouage Reflection Man.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Okay --Update time .
    The Moschino Couture arrived safely . I like the scent -on me- it smells sort of cardemom/floral tea-ish .Quite pleasant .(ErinK we may need to talk swap if you still don't want yours.) Since my bottle is only half full I figure that the topnotes may have shifted a tad but I like it .

Bought a bottle of Strenesse by Gabriele Strele Nose is Maurice Roucel . I seem to get a sweet almond /heliotrope and other florals and vanilla. This seems a good bit lighter than Hypnotic Poison which I see it compared to . Personally I see it as closer to Silk Way or Barbara Bui minus the insence.

Went out discounter/thrifting yesterday and again a bit today and got a bit of a haul to report.
    At Ross I got a Burberry Brit edt rollerball for $7.
    At a thrift store 4 vintage Avons : Somewhere (in a bottle shaped like a butter churn) and Trailing Arbetus (the re-issue ----which was in 1978 for a 1919? scent ! So this bottle is about a year older than I am! Smells related to Chanel#5) Also bought 2 Avon milk glass small unlabeled perfumes just because they smell good . Someone was going to bring more in today so I'll probably go check back tomorrow as I said I would.

At Tj Maxx I got a Shower gel for Les Notes de Lanvin Vetiver Blanche.$2
    Today at Marshalls!!!!!! : Les Notes de Lanvin Oud &Rose 1.7 oz edt and 1 each of shampoo,conditioner and shower gel( 3.4 oz )for $2 each .
    also got the Orange Ambre edt (the edt were $13 each) .This was a lemming as some people on the MUA board were talking about it .
    Fragrance Omnivore

Arquiste Aleksandr and Cira Trudon Ernesto which is actually a room spray but a stunning chypre and about the strength of an EdT.

Should mention these were gifts.

Nectar of Nature Senteur du Jardin
    Tesori d'Oriente Aegyptus

Hooray, Xscent! I think you will enjoy the Aleksandr I'm waiting with baited breath for my samples of Mito to arrive. And while in SF, I picked up a 50ml bottle of En Passant at Barneys. Luuuuuuurrrve! Polar vortex be gone!!!!

Today I bought my mom a vintage bottle of Christalle by Chanel. Not sure when it is from (hopefully it is legit), but it is her favorite fragrance.

Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Aw, that was nice of you

And these lovelies just arrived on my doorstep! All vintage new in box!

joy.jpg

Hermes Eau d'Hermes
    Patou Joy
    Cartier Panthere

That looks like a big bottle of Joy, no?
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

It's actually just 60ml, but the bottle is large, not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Hooray, Xscent! I think you will enjoy the Aleksandr I'm waiting with baited breath for my samples of Mito to arrive. And while in SF, I picked up a 50ml bottle of En Passant at Barneys. Luuuuuuurrrve! Polar vortex be gone!!!!
    Ooohh I have a sample of En Passat, must break it out for a sniff!

Congratulation on the new treasures everyone.

joy.jpg

Hermes Eau d'Hermes
    Patou Joy
    Cartier Panthere
    What great finds, danieq! You're pulling at my heartstrings with these. Panthere EDT was one of my first "real" perfumes. My bottle had sleek black panthers crawling up the sides & the scent was quite intoxicating. Joy was my Mom's signature scent & will always bring back my dearest scent memories. Happy spritzing. You smell fabulous!!

joy.jpg

Hermes Eau d'Hermes
    Patou Joy
    Cartier Panthere
    Excellent haul! I love vintage perfume shopping!