Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default What are you not feeling anymore??

The whole cherry tobacco theme is becoming lame to me..
    I really did not feel the need to have Chergui and Pure Havane so I swapped PH..
    What theme/frag are you guys not feeling and/or looking to get rid of..

2 more would be the lame JPG offering's of
    Kokorico and Le Bleu..
    Both are pathetic IMO..

Default Re: What are you not feeling anymore??

Yeah, I never had a thing for (cherry/Tob vibe)TV or any of does but Chergui to me is beautiful irregardless if I didn't love it enough to get a FB but this stuff is wonderful is just not my thing...the soapy frags like PAPH & PAPHI were at one time a desired scent but as of 6 months ago , my desire for it fell flat and sold them but nevertheless a worthy scent just not ringing my bell to an ethereal level...that's all.
    Last edited by magnus611; 3rd February 2014 at 04:42 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Encre Noir.Ready to swap ASAP. Just got tired of it. When I had samples, I loved it. Ever since I got a ful bottle, I don't care much for it.

Some of the fragrances in my "used to own" wardrobe section. Most of them quite popular during the late 90s, not so much today.

Heavy ISO E SUPER doses.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Tonka in EVERYTHING. yawn.

Oud this, Oud that, is it just a phase or are we going to see Vetiver Oud or Acqua Di Oud.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Oud this, Oud that, is it just a phase or are we going to see Vetiver Oud or Acqua Di Oud.
    I see your oud and raise you; Incense. It is also everywhere and in everything along with tonka and oud.

Tuberose if I had to ditch a theme, which i wouldn't.

(3779)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Overdoses of synthetic musk.

I feel like everyone gets extra upset about lack of longevity in fragrances these days and one of the easiest solutions is to overdose on synthetic musk for increased sillage, longevity and oomph.

Dont get me wrong, I like some musk to round out the fragrance, but too much musk just annoys me throughout the day - it's like a heavy bass line on repeat for 24 hours.

I prefer fragrances that evolve and then die within 24 hours to those modern heavy hitters that last and last and last...

Vetiver frags in general

And Terre d'Hermes

I go through phases with Vetiver.

And TdH just doesn't thrill me like it used to.
    We're just friends now.

Bond No 9 New Haarlem...first 12-15 minutes is crack, then it takes a fast nose dive into a synthetic mess. Had to scrub it off last weekend.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Navyy8 View Post
    Bond No 9 New Haarlem...first 12-15 minutes is crack, then it takes a fast nose dive into a synthetic mess. Had to scrub it off last weekend.
    It's not the greatest fragrance, but I really enjoy it in the cooler months. Very warming and comforting scent.

Basenotes Junkie

Yeah, Oud-everything. Followed closely by Vetiver-everything. Like Oud as a note, love Vetiver as a note. But really, 2 or 3 good variations of each is probably enough.

Color me a sucker for continuing to buy them though

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Tonka in EVERYTHING. yawn.
    This. Next will be tonka di gio, cool tonka, and Atonkus lol
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I know it's sacrilege but I'm tired of patchouli being a sort of universal ingredient. It's an iffy note on my skin, and it either goes bug spray or nice warm note. Also I agree about the oud, I'm ready for that trend to die down.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Vetiver frags in general

And Terre d'Hermes

We're just friends now.
    I agree about Terre d'Hermes. I bought the hype years ago and bought a bottle and wore it often. Recently I bought a 50 ml bottle and sprayed it on myself and almost immediately got tired of it. It didn't bring too many pleasant memories and it's just not as wonderful to me as it once was since I now have tested out so many more fragrances that hold my attention much better than Terre d'Hermes.

TDH doesn't seem to have that flinty, mineral quality to it in the EDT that I seem to remember. I'll have to retest it.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

All these musty dusty wet dog hair oud type fragrances. I want to smell alive at least

Tom Ford's line. I used to adore this house, but anymore it feels overstuffed and overpriced. Too many new releases of questionable quality, and too many price hikes. I don't even bother sampling most of the releases they put out anymore.

You spray too much.

Oud & Rose, Oud & Pepper, oud,oud and oud.

Royal oud I am def. not liking as much as before, PH I am noticing has a little too much cherry. Will probably get TV next winter to replace it.

Overly sweet stuff, got rid of Mugler Pure Havane and Pure Malt...way too much for me.

Basenotes Junkie

Encre noire ...good heavens... Was it good at one point? Yikes . Takes artificial to a new level. That's what I get for owning and loving Dior vetiver, and Sycomore...then buying EN ..

Like others, I owned Pure Havane, now I own Chergui .

Very tired of incense in everything
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior Privee, Chanel Exclusif, Creed, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, MOLECULE 01
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Agree on EN vs. those two...they're incredible. And good choice on Chergui, wonderful stuff. Can't say that I'm tired of incense :-) don't think I'll ever be either!

Quote Originally Posted by willyb View Post
    That's what I get for owning and loving Dior vetiver, and Sycomore...then buying EN ..

Like others, I owned Pure Havane, now I own Chergui .

Very tired of incense in everything

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    This. Next will be tonka di gio, cool tonka, and Atonkus lol
    LMAO at Atonkus!!!!!!

Givenchy Pi.

Loved it at one point. Now I merely like it.

"Oud", or what passes for it in recent commercial releases.

A good friend here sent me some 'everyday' ouds that he and his family use a few years back, just when the whole 'oud thing' was breaking in western perfumery. Having got to know these and then also trying some quite pricey ouds and mukhallats in Malaysia, I think I got a reasonably good intro to what oud is actually about. I appreciate it, solo or blended with rose etc., and I have enough basic understanding to appreciate the evolution and some of the subtleties. I'm a total novice, of course, and in the end, oud or oud based compositions are 'not something I would reach for' that often, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

That said, I'm grateful I got a crash course in the real deal because the deluge of stuff coming out from the western houses seems to have quite a synthetic edge to it - the same narrow scent profile and abrasive quality you get from a lot of the cheaper 'cedar' notes listed in quite a few 'masculines'. Compared to the real oils most of the stuff I have tried seems a bit shrill, ham-fisted, verging on embarassing. It's a 'new smell' for many western noses, but there's little, if any, real depth or space and no sense of development. I don't doubt there are a few good ones out there because friends who grew up with the stuff have commented favourably on the occasional release, but most of it seems pretty charmless to me.

I can appreciate that taking oud into the alcohol based western notion of perfumery and using it as either a lead player or part of the ensemble is going to be qualitively different from the attar approach, but given the cost for quality oud, not mention the scarcity of the stuff, it seems pretty obvious that either cheaper stuff is going to be used or, far more likely, a synthetic approximation. Where's the fun in that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    Tom Ford's line. I used to adore this house, but anymore it feels overstuffed and overpriced.
    This is true for me. When I first joined basenotes and discovered the Tom Ford house I loved it now it just seems very plain jane. I have recently swapped or sold all of my Tom Fords with the exception of 2: one that I currently have up for swap and the second being Noir de Noir. I just love the stuff. Another house that is boring me is the Mugler house. I really enjoyed some of the offerings from the house until about 3 months ago.I ended up selling PH and PM to a friend. While I am typing this there seems to be a trend. It seems to be that houses that are pumping out releases and flankers seem to be the ones that people are starting to get bored with. Just a thought....
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    Amouage Interlude Man
    Pure Distance M
    Creed Royal Oud
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Absolue Pour le Soir
    MDCI Chypre Palatin
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Ronia J Oud Assam
    Goti Smoke Essenze

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Vetiver frags in general

And Terre d'Hermes

We're just friends now.
    What he said ..

For me, Gucci Pour Homme I. Before I found forums like Basenotes or considered ebay I was scouring Sephoras left and right for it, as I have had a bottle since high school that is slowly dying. Now that I have enough backup bottles of it to last a while, I find it a little simplistic. Still one of my faves, but no longer a grail scent.