Code of Conduct

Default What is the signature men's fragrance of our time (that isn't shit)?

I would define the signature scent of the era of my youth, in the '90s, as being l'Eau d'Issey pour Homme.

For the past decade or so until today, I'd say Terre d'Hermès or Dior Homme.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What is the signature men's fragrance of our time (that isn't shit)?

Aventus - Frag heads
    Polo Black - Average Joe
    Armani Code - Average Joe

Default Re: What is the signature men's fragrance of our time (that isn't shit)?

I'd have to vote Acqua Di Gio as the scent for the average joe.
    I help my dad with plumbing, heating & air conditioning when I'm not in class and I would say 70% of bathrooms have ADG in them and no other fragrances.
    "All the best perfumes in history have something that smells like garbage in them; that's what keeps drawing you back."

+1 for Aventus

+1 AdG for "mainstream"

Well, keeping your parenthetical caveat in mind, I'd also go with Terre d'Hermes or Dior Homme. I smell more of the former out and about, but I suspect Dior Homme may be more commonly worn outside of the US.

I would also say Acqua Di Gio for the mainstream, alot of guy's and gal's know of this one.

Basenotes Plus

Those who mentioned ADG are spot on. I don't see a niche like Aventus as good as it is, being in that category because designers sell so many more bottles than niche.

A toss up between Aventus or AdG

(3789)
    Last edited by hednic; 4th February 2014 at 02:50 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

I better get a bottle of Adventus
    All set with AdG..
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ― Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    +1 for Aventus

+1 AdG for "mainstream"
    Agree with this emphatically. Closest thing to signatures for me are spice and wood, aventus, derby, fahrenheit.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Dior Homme

I doubt many people outside of Basenotes actually know about Aventus. AdG may be a little more commonplace in comparison
    Chic is all about humor. Which means chic is about intelligence. And there has to be oddness-- most luxury is conformist, and chic cannot be. Chic must be polite and not incommode others, but within that it can be as weird as it wants.” - LT

Tie between ADG and JpG le male

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

most people outside of BN do not know what Creed is..

1 Million.

Le Male, the most disgusting fragrance on earth
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Fume heads: tobacco vanille

general populace: ADG or 1 million
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    Sir, thread starter said that isn't $&?? But that is good or not bad per se!
    Last edited by magnus611; 4th February 2014 at 12:45 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I believe the honor for most disgusting frag goes to the Gucci Guilty series.

That said, I would have to say Acqua di Gio or Bleu de Chanel for designer frags that don't suck from our time. Both may be overworn, but both are quality fragrances. Niche? As many have said, probably Aventus.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

............misread the OP.

I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ph8 View Post
    Tie between ADG and JpG le male

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=MFfan310;3062164]I believe the honor for most disgusting frag goes to the Gucci Guilty series.

LOL! I would not call the Guilty series disgusting, but FB worthy? Never!
    "All the best perfumes in history have something that smells like garbage in them; that's what keeps drawing you back."

I love seeing all the hate online for Gucci Guilty but it's many stores best selling fragrance

Most likely, the aforementioned ones in this thread (including, but not limited too), thus TDH, perhaps also TDH Parfum, Aventus, DHI etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    +1 for Aventus

+1 AdG for "mainstream"
    I'd agree with this.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I would say Axe (because its stupidly popular)...but I guess it would fall under the shit category...
    Well enjoying what you're wearing is crucial, it is of the utmost importance to wear something that others like as well.

I think everyone's answer would depend upon the OP's definition of s**t.

Sound Scents

Terre d'Hermès since it was released. Before that probably something like Cool Water or Acqua di Giò
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Nevermind.
    Last edited by Flatbush Ave; 4th February 2014 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    I think everyone's answer would depend upon the OP's definition of s**t.
    I suppose you're right.

Let's say the signature fragrance of our time (that isn't shit) is something that a basenoter of impeccable taste might wear. Something that is neither vulgar and omnipresent (One Million, Le Mâle) nor niche and recherché (Ormonde Man, Invasion Barbare) but which is somewhat popular. Something that speaks to the present zeitgeist in fragrance history.
    Last edited by St-Just; 4th February 2014 at 10:59 PM.

Here in Europe it seems to be Terre d'Hermes.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Armani Code

DHI it is then
    Well enjoying what you're wearing is crucial, it is of the utmost importance to wear something that others like as well.

Aqua di Gio was signature for early 2000's and Aventus is the one for later 2000's - 2012.

Aventusvis just overhyped on this board, even in Fragrantica they barely acknowledge it. Whereas ADG is truly iconic

As a most popular scent right now I would say 1 million.

As a signature scent of our time (that means scent that characterize current era) - also 1 million = greed & money, thats what rules our world.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    As a most popular scent right now I would say 1 million.

As a signature scent of our time (that means scent that characterize current era) - also 1 million = greed & money, thats what rules our world.
    Ironically, this is less the case in the US than Europe. I don't think I've ever smelled 1 Million in NY. Men seem to still be fixated on Acqua di Giò and Le Mâle, like it's 1999.

I do think they're all a bit shit, though.
    Last edited by St-Just; 6th February 2014 at 10:32 AM.

This question is ridiculous as another mans shit is another mans gold... And yes no one 's heard of Creed outside this forum

One Million... literally smell it everywhere. I like it also.

For Fragrance.neters it's Aventus. Will always be my collection.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Dior Homme Eau in 5 years.
    ADG and Armani Code now.