Code of Conduct

Default What is the exact definition of "Vintage"?

I searched the net but nowhere I found the exact definition of vintage perfume? Everyone is giving his/her own definition. Your opinion will be highly appreciated.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: What is the exact definition of "Vintage"?

Overpriced earlier version of something that was reformulated and/or discontinued.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The original scent that was made years/decades ago..
    It is HTF in that formulation due to the IFRA/reformulation or being discontinued..
    Most likely it's very expensive..

Thank you both. Is there any time limit to be called vintage? Or it is only a discontinued perfume? If it is discontinued, then how people will find it? Is it still called vintage if it is reformulated?

Sent from my ZP950H using Tapatalk

In the late 1900's and early 2000's, vintage has become an adjective used as a powerful marketing tool to increase the implied value of an item and increase its profitability when sold. Too old to be considered modern, but not old enough to be considered antique and also what many others describe as a frag in its original form and year of launch which composition was not tampered with that it's no longer in production.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Original version!

To my mind it is the original un-reformulated fragrance; the version that appeared when the fragrance was launched. Price has nothing to do with it. And age has nothing to do with it. There are fragrances that were launched in the 90s and even later that have been reformulated.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Look at the Dior's..
    DHS launched in 2008 and reformulated in 2012..
    DHI has gone through 9 reformulations already!!

Original that is sought after many reformulations.

(3805)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    In the late 1900's and early 2000's, vintage has become an adjective used as a powerful marketing tool to increase the implied value of an item and increase its profitability when sold. Too old to be considered modern, but not old enough to be considered antique and also what many others describe as a frag in its original form and year of launch which composition was not tampered with that it's no longer in production.
    Thanks. If it is no longer in production, then how people are getting it? Is it stocked by stockpilors? Or the company has stocked it to sell it later on by much higher price?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Original that is sought after many reformulations.

(3805)
    Thanks hednic. If the original was so good that people are spending much more to get it then why they reformulated it? Or as usual a tactic to make the people fool?

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    +1...This
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Overpriced earlier version of something that was reformulated and/or discontinued.
    That's about it.

A fragrance that just came out last year could be vintage if it has just been reformulated.

Vintage doesn't necessarily mean old. Vintage doesn't necessarily mean better. Basically just means "previous" in the fragrance world.

Once something is discontinued/reformulated, the previous stock will still be available in stores / retailers / warehouses for a while, and that is what people scramble to get if they enjoyed it. Also, people selling their personal bottles on ebay or Basenotes provides options for a while.

Blog Entries

It's not necessarily expensive. It depends on who is selling it. It is the original, release version of a particular scent. Pre-re formulation. As to why things are re formulated, it is either to cheapen it or to conform to IFRA regulations or both. One thing is certain, perfumistas do NOT like changed juice and will usually move Heaven and Earth to get their preferred formula. This is a breech of trust between client and manufacturer. You pay for one product and get the old switcheroo. I think these things should be more actively regulated by a consumer organization. But, of course, that would be impossible to police.

Quote Originally Posted by apple2005 View Post
    Thanks. If it is no longer in production, then how people are getting it? Is it stocked by stockpilors? Or the company has stocked it to sell it later on by much higher price?
    Original formula with exact condiment and measurements are no longer in production but can be still available with different amount of such ingredients or add on or deduction on composition and there's those that for whatever reason are obsolete because low sales etc , can be had by a hoarder at time of announcement of discontinuation and found selling them on EBay.... yes their is hoarders that would hear this new Flash through the grape vine that a specific frag is gonna be discontinued or reformulated or whatever and then they hoard as much as they can and resell at higher value at a later day with extravagant margin of profits but I will have non of that and considered them opportunist that take advantage of other fellow fume heads but that's capitalism for you.
    Last edited by magnus611; 4th February 2014 at 07:03 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Vintage was originally just the year a wine was produced. For most items, after the term expanded, vintage is at least 50 years old, 100 for antique. Vintage clothing is just previously owned and worn. Vintage fragrances also eschew chronological time and the adjective just differentiates the first formulation from the reformulation. If there are multiple reformulations, calamity ensues. Some people will swear by vintage and vintage alone. Which doesn't make a lot of sense, since every fragrance is new at the same point in the product life cycle, so they are just forcing themselves to miss out for as many years as it takes to get a reformulation before they will test the original and then declare it spectacular.

In my opinion, at least the following criteria apply: often discontinued or at least infrequently, scarcely available and mostly before current fragrance regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    To my mind it is the original un-reformulated fragrance; the version that appeared when the fragrance was launched. Price has nothing to do with it. And age has nothing to do with it. There are fragrances that were launched in the 90s and even later that have been reformulated.
    Agree word for word David. Except I would add that for fragrances that are very old (Jicky, Joy, Fougere Royale and many, many others), it would imply a version from a few decades ago, e.g 60's or 70's. Example, I am due to receive a bottle of Jicky that dates from 1971 - I would definitely consider this to be vintage, even though Jicky was released in 1889.

Good point Paul; OK, the closest to the original formula that it is possible to get.
    Last edited by David Ruskin; 5th February 2014 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks to all for these valuable information. So vintage is anything in it's original formula not necessarily very old but hard to find. Is it correct?

Blog Entries

God point Paul; OK, the closest to the original formula that it is possible to get.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    Agree word for word David. Except I would add that for fragrances that are very old (Jicky, Joy, Fougere Royale and many, many others), it would imply a version from a few decades ago, e.g 60's or 70's. Example, I am due to receive a bottle of Jicky that dates from 1971 - I would definitely consider this to be vintage, even though Jicky was released in 1889.
    Good point Paul; OK, the closest to the original formula that it is possible to get.
    I am wondering though, for really old perfume compositions like Jicky, how do we know that the more recent batches (even from 70s) are actually close to the original formula?

Was it common to reformulate along the way according to the availability of ingredients in the past? Or was there already a notion of fidelity and quality control in the late 1800s and early 1900s?

Quote Originally Posted by Maque View Post
    I am wondering though, for really old perfume compositions like Jicky, how do we know that the more recent batches (even from 70s) are actually close to the original formula?

Was it common to reformulate along the way according to the availability of ingredients in the past? Or was there already a notion of fidelity and quality control in the late 1800s and early 1900s?
    Most of us would not know. There may be some people out there who would have smelt an older bottle, or maybe even own an older bottle. But such people would be few and far between. There is also a very good chance that a 60-100 year old bottle of fragrance would have gone off, possibly all through the fragrance, but almost certainly in the top notes. So even if you find a very old bottle of Jicky, how would you know if it smells "correct" ? Obviously, you wouldn't.

I think the IFRA started in 1973, so i assume that any bottles from that era or before would be as close to the original formula as you can get, and would in all likelihood contain the correct amount of oakmoss, citrus oils, aldehydes, jasmine, iris etc. as required (allowing of course for variations in natural materials etc).

For my part, I think that since most fragrances go through several formulations for whatever reason, I would say that the term vintage, for practical purposes, refers to a formulation that is no longer commercially available.

Whats vintage mean anymore?

It used to me said perfume had a single formulation change. Usually the change came a couple of decades later.

Hence vintage actually meaning what it infers, something from the past.

But some perfumes released within the decade have been reformulated already, are they vintage? No.

I think vintage should refer to the first formulation, then each subsequent reformulation be called "second reform, third reform" and so on.

Thats assuming its easy to even determine whether somethings been reformulated to begin with.

for swap/sale:

I would think about vintage to be anything from the 1980's or earlier, something from the 1920's or earlier i would say is antique.
    Find your favourite fragrance from "harveyprince" without a second thought!

Quote Originally Posted by harveyprince1 View Post
    I would think about vintage to be anything from the 1980's or earlier, something from the 1920's or earlier i would say is antique.
    What about perfumes released & discontinued the 90s?
    Or released in the 90s then adversely (as I'd we've ever seen any other reformulation type) reformulated in the 2000s ? something to ponder huh

for swap/sale: