Code of Conduct

Question Next "classic" fragrance to try?

Hi,
    I'm relatively new to fragrance collecting, but I've found that I'm partial to classic, aromatic-type fragrances. One of my favorite scents has been YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme. Last week, I blind-bought Pour Un Homme de Caron, and I absolutely love it. On the other hand, I really dislike YSL Pour Homme, which I also blind-bought. I enjoy it on rare occasions, but something about the opening is usually a put off to me. Zino by Davidoff is another that I enjoy sometimes, but don't find myself wearing too often. I am going to buy Egoiste next, but I'm not sure where to go from there.

I was hoping for some recommendations on what to smell next (after Egoiste). Here are a few that I'm considering:
    • The Third Man (Caron)
    • Guerlain Habit Rouge
    • Guerlain Vetiver
    • Guerlain Heritage
    • Azzaro for Men

Any input would be appreciated. Also, feel free to recommend some that I haven't listed. Thanks!

Default Re: Next "classic" fragrance to try?

Looks like your choices are well researched and you'll find lots to like. Maybe add:
    Dior Eau Sauvage

I would consider adding Dior Fahrenheit to your list.

From the list: especially Habit Rouge, Heritage and Azzaro PH, Other possible choices to test: Chanel pour Monsieur, Boucheron pour Homme, Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur, Aramis Tuscany, Creed GIT and REL:

Guerlain Heritage and Vetiver are in the ballpark of Rive Gauche. Habit Rouge is not, my guess is it will not be for you. But no harm in sampling!

I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    I would consider adding Dior Fahrenheit to your list.

For aromatic fougeres, certainly you should be fine with Troisieme homme (slightly floral, with a touch of citrus and licorice, and barbershop musks). Others that come to mind include Tuscany uomo and the reformulated Kouros (in vintage, this was an animalic powerhouse, but now it has lost a lot of the animalics). Krizia uomo is another herbal aromatic, I don't know if it's still in production but can be found pretty cheaply.

And since you like Caron pour un homme (ie vanilla and lavender) I also second Guerlain Jicky or Mouchoir de Monsieur (they are relatively similar). The top of Jicky is very close to the grandfather of all fougeres, Fougere Royale, now sadly discontinued (the perfume currently called fougere royale does not smell like the original one).

cacio

Banned
    Blog Entries

YSL Jazz
    Dunhill 34

Derby by Guerlain

(3815)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

You're right on the mark with trying Heritage, Azzaro pour Homme, Third Man, and Zino. Also check out Coriolan if you can track it down (it tends to go for great prices), and maybe Balenciaga pour Homme, which is pretty easy to nab on eBay right now.

Thanks for the responses. My list just grew quite a bit. I'll be ordering some samples soon .

FWIW, you might want to take a look at Bogue Profumo. It's a new line that plays on vintage aromatic concepts, and his blending and materials are superb. He's one of the most fascinating and talented of the guerrilla perfumers, and certainly someone to keep your eye on.