Code of Conduct

Default What factors determine the ideal season(s) for a fragrance?

As a fragrance newb I was wondering if there's a science behind categorizing fragrances according to seasons. Is it purely opinion? I like looking up fragrances on that parfumo site as it breaks down opinions using pie charts(visual minded-related), but how are these opinions formed? I was really surprised that Terre D'hermes is often recommended as a spring/summer fragrance, I would have thought it's something to be reserved for fall/winter. I can see aquatics associated with spring, but I don't really understand how TDH can be used in spring as I thought of it as a strong fragrance.

I can understand the logic of avoiding stronger fragrances in hot weather, as it can be overbearing. However is this also a cultural thing? What about hot countries that use incense in hot temperatures?

Is there a way to get away with fragrances in the summer that are traditionally associated with fall/winter? Obviously you would apply less, but where would you spray to minimize sillage? stomach and avoid pulse points?

In another thread I mentioned how I really dug Bentley Intense for Men and asked what would be a sort of summer substitute, and Gucci Pour Homme II was recommended. As a logical guy, help me distinguish the similarities between both fragrances, yet what makes one suitable for summer, and the other for winter?

Apologies if this should be in the "just starting out" forum. Just realized that. Mods feel free to move it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by bonose; 4th February 2014 at 09:06 PM.

Default Re: What factors determine the ideal season(s) for a fragrance?

You can just sort them on a light to heavy progression, for hot to cold weather. Somehow confining heavy frags to cold weather months makes some innate sense to me; can't say why. [on the other hand, confine lighter scents like colognes to only the hot months is too restrictive for me. I like some of the lighter juices year round. Cologne in winter helps break the monotony of winter for me.

Another approach is to sort by natural seasonal smells. Greens in spring. Aquatics and marines in summer. Spicy things and evergreen around the holidays.
    Last edited by james1051; 4th February 2014 at 09:59 PM.

The season opinions are based on people's personal experiences with a fragrance. I woudn't really worry too much about over analyzing it because it all comes to personal preferences.

For example, if i find Dior Homme Intense to be too cloying on a hot summer day, then that might lead me to probably " not recommend it" for summer. But that was still based on my personal experience, and you on the other hand might find it perfectly wearable on a hot summer day.

I wouldn't really over analyze it, just wear and judge for yourself.
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 4th February 2014 at 10:08 PM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

I agree with tdwctdwc. Wear and judge for yourself.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's your opinion..
    No wrong's or right's..

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    The season opinions are based on people's personal experiences with a fragrance. I wouldn't really worry too much about over analyzing it because it all comes to personal preferences.
    Happen to agree with this.

(3814)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Kouros on a hot summer day in the gym all day long baby! All day long!

It's a matter of taste and preferences, really. Ever notice how your tastes in food and drinks change through the seasons? I'm a beer drinker, and by that, I mean real beer - not that silly watered down Bud/Coors/Miller junk. In the winter, heavier beers like porters and stouts are so tasty. In the summer though, they're usually too heavy. Too rich. IPAs and ESBs are so much better in the summer. Frangrances are like that for me as well. In the fall and winter, I crave heavier, spicy scents. Darker. In the spring and summer, I crave lighter, fresher scents, especially during the day. There are exceptions, of course.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

They are generally classified by the cool/hot weather which usually determines what category a fragrance falls into. Of course you should smell and decide like already said, but heavy cool weather fragrances don't usually go well on a hot summer day.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    It's a matter of taste and preferences, really. Ever notice how your tastes in food and drinks change through the seasons? I'm a beer drinker, and by that, I mean real beer - not that silly watered down Bud/Coors/Miller junk. In the winter, heavier beers like porters and stouts are so tasty. In the summer though, they're usually too heavy. Too rich. IPAs and ESBs are so much better in the summer. Frangrances are like that for me as well. In the fall and winter, I crave heavier, spicy scents. Darker. In the spring and summer, I crave lighter, fresher scents, especially during the day. There are exceptions, of course.
    Fantastic analogy. Couldn't have said it better myself.
    A nice vetiver and a sauv blanc on the patio when it's balls hot.
    A spicy tobacco, leather, tonka, amber, with a nice cabernet when it's balls cold.

for most people: purely cultural conventions (aka leafy-green for spring, gourmand for winter)

for me: i'll wear anything any season, but i'll keep in mind the projection vs. the temperature

Some time ago, used to be quite careful to wear lighter scents during warmer weather and heavier notes for colder weather. Nowadays wearing pretty much anything I like anytime I like, almost irrespective of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by bonose View Post
    I can understand the logic of avoiding stronger fragrances in hot weather, as it can be overbearing. However is this also a cultural thing? What about hot countries that use incense in hot temperatures?

Is there a way to get away with fragrances in the summer that are traditionally associated with fall/winter? Obviously you would apply less, but where would you spray to minimize sillage? stomach and avoid pulse points?
    Ok. How extreme the seasons are definitely matters. Especially summers. See, I can pull of a summer frag like Adg or AHS easily in winters but would dread to apply even a single spray of A*men or GPH in summer when the mercury hovers above 35 degrees centigrade (where i live). You can somehow pull off "winter frags" like Code, Dior homme and such ( which are not too heavy and cloying), but even they would be difficult to manage if the conditions get humid and muggy.

Hot countries do use incense. I am from India and we use a lot of incense at home but it is something that burns away in a few minutes leaving the fragrance lingering for a few minutes more before dissipating into thin air. It doesn't develop as time passes and definitely doesn't get cloying! (well, a strong incense in a stuffy room may make you sick :P)

So there you have it. If you are talking mild European summers, you can surely pull off most of the "winter frags" if applied sparingly and vice versa.

I wonder if one can pull off Bvlgari aqva in Russian winters

Following up on the comment above... another factor, at least for me, is how dry the fragrance is. Royal Oud is a very dry fragrance, and I find that it's easy to wear in the summer since summers aren't humid at all where I live. It's a dry heat. But I wouldn't wear Royal Oud in the summer if summers were humid. Yuck.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam