Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rick Owens Fragrance (Francis Kurkdjian)

The following in an exert from a recent interview Francis Kurkdjian gave, where by he discussed a collaboration with designer Rick Owens, which has seemingly been in the works for years.

Hopefully this is something which will be released soon!

Francis Kurkdjian:

I recently read that you loved Rick Owens and that you worked for him.

For me, Rick Owens is the new Azzedine Alaïa. There is no one else like him. He has consistency, a vision, a rigor, and he makes no compromise. He has an extraordinary aesthetic sense. I work closely with him. Rick wanted a custom-made scent. So someone introduced me to him four years ago. He didn't have the same notoriety then.

He was not what he is today. So I met him, and I went to his headquarters, and we worked on the scent together. It's just the two of us. There is no one else during our meetings. We communicated by phone or email. Now we've just finished the two fragrances. The launch is planned for next year, if everything goes well. He really is uncompromising. I don't know anyone else like him.

Did he challenge you?

First he told me “I want it to be as popular as Angel.” I'm like an actor. I work for people. I try to interpret their visions. If I always did the same perfume, I'd be bored. So I looked at his inspirations, his models. I ask myself, Why do they walk this way? Why do they look like amazons? You know, there is a specific Rick Owens look. It's very sharp. When I go there, I'm sure people think I'm the deliveryman. I don't have the Rick Owens look, although I love what he does. I don't have the guts to wear his clothes.

Plus, Rick is super-elegant. He is the only designer who invites me to all his shows. Meeting Rick Owens is something I will never forget. I am more than proud he trusted me to create his fragrance. You know, I wasn't the best at my perfumery school. But then eventually something will be triggered in your mind, and then suddenly you'll get things. The important thing is motivation, and the love of the job. By dint of working, you can make it. But you need thus unremitting effort and this love of great work. You should also want to service your art.
    Rick Owens:

The scent idea is one I’ve been mulling over for a while. I like perfume. Scent is one of those mysteries of memory, allure and dreams that’s so tempting to harness, manipulate and possess. But perfume can be a big business that might take a label further than I’m willing to go right now. If it’s done with one of the larger fragrance companies, their distribution and promotion might be overly enthusiastic and a bit hard to restrain. Not that I need to lose sleep over it because no one’s asking me.

So I’m just producing it myself with a master perfumer in Paris whose work I’ve followed over the years. I have no deadline or boundaries and have gotten exactly what I want. It’s like sinking into a beautiful, dense, slightly unhealthy Gustave Moreau painting. Well, to me at least.

Although expect something a little off beat and challenging! Not sure if he's talking about the same scent, this may just be a quirky one off commission he's had made for his stores.

But first, this morning I have to go to my store in the Palais Royal to test the scent diffuser that’s been installed. I’ve had a personal scent made and want to have it fill the shops, but frankly, everyone hates it but me. It has Easter lily, civet, eucalyptus and a mothball-like pungency. I admit it might be a little challenging.
    Full interview with FK here.
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 5th February 2014 at 02:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rick Owens Fragrance (Francis Kurkdjian)

Thanks for the info. Hopefully this will be something good.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

it should be interesting to see how it plays out. Thanks for this.

(3831)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

I am sure the Rick Owen's fragrance will be polarizing just as Mcqueen's Kingdom was.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I've read that interview with Rick and even though I like his designs the idea of his personal fragrance (easter lily and civet) doesn't sound like something wearable...

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. Love Rick Owens. Wasn't more than a couple of days ago I was wondering if he and his wife wore perfume.

The launch date?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Temptation View Post
    The launch date?
    Was suppose to be last year, based on the exert from the interview I think it won't be released until they thinks it's perfect. I'd have to imagine that it will be sometime this year though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting this! Being a fan of Rick Owens and Francis Kurkdjian, I think this could be spectacular... and/or too weird to wear. Looking forward to finding out.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

I have no idea who Rick Owens is but if Francis Kurkdjian is creating a fragrance for his line then I'm all for it! It looks like they're really going all out with this fragrance and I can't wait to read some reviews and maybe blind buy it in the future if the price is affordable. I bet this will be one that will be discontinued quickly soon after release but will be highly sought after in the future.
    Last edited by Ronin; 5th February 2014 at 05:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I highly anticipate this release from among two of my favourite creators in their respective fields.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    I am sure the Rick Owen's fragrance will be polarizing just as Mcqueen's Kingdom was.
    I'm sure it definitely will be unique, but I'm not surprised that Owens chose Kurkjian. He's the best at identifying the brand that is on his brief and producing quality fragrances that hold true to his client's style (ie; JPG, Narciso Rodriguez and Hedi Slimane for Dior with Eau Noire).

Quote Originally Posted by mgrigoriev View Post
    I've read that interview with Rick and even though I like his designs the idea of his personal fragrance (easter lily and civet) doesn't sound like something wearable...
    The notes sure do seem intriguing, and I bet most would be surprised at how subdued it might be despite it strongly anticipated accords, considering his clothing design is usually stark and minimalist. Eau Noire would be a good example of strong notes in a simple composition, that could be used as a reference for this one.

His interior designing my be a source of inspiration and is usually based on marble, wood and taxidermy. Which might explain the introduction of civet in the fragrance, with the hope that Kurkjian can pull a new trick similar to the wet concrete accord in NR For Him, as a representation of cold marble.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I bet this will be one that will be discontinued quickly soon after release but will be highly sought after in the future.
    It depends on how it is marketed.

Considering his business practices and the time he has put on this project, I would think this may be a signature fragrance for his brand.

On the other hand, will he go the Cavin Klein route in producing a fragrance for the masses?

His clothing used to be "street couture" worn only by bourgois goths and Yamamoto affectionados, until Kanye West pushed it into the the hip hop realm, thus into the mainstream. If this venture is used for, and is successful at popularizing Owens to the masses (this consumer reaction is dependent on the price point below the niche market as Klein did), as other fragrances have for fashion designers in the past, then I would definitely see future release to be limited releases (with those having the exclusive price points).

It's all very exciting news indeed, thanks for the heads up Duke!
    Last edited by Arij; 5th February 2014 at 10:50 PM.

Having used some pairs of Rick Owens´ creations, I would say that his perfume will smell like Yatagan, M or Bel Ami.

It must be dark, leathery, dark woody, cold etc..

If he wants his creations to be as famous as Angel, then I will bet that the price will move in the mainstream..

I can't wait to get a whiff of this stuff. I am not afraid of wearing Rick Owens, nor will I have a problem wearing this. Like you Temptation, I hope it is dark, leathery, and woody.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

He's a very talented designer. Too bad his clothes don't fit me

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the packaging

Before reading this, I'd never heard of Rick Owens.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm all ears. Rick Owens is perhaps (one of) my favorite designers EVER.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here