Code of Conduct

Default Eau Savage vs Pour Monsieur in terms of longevity

Hi ,

Was wondering how Eau Savage compares to Pour Monsieur in terms of longevity , I love Pour Monsieur but the longevity is abysmal so I was wondering whether Eau Savage may be a worthy substitute (i know they are not the same but they are in a similar ballpark) thanks

Default Re: Eau Savage vs Pour Monsieur in terms of longevity

Much of a muchness I think. On me I recall ES having better longevity, though very close to the skin after 3-4 hours whereas PM just disappears completely. PM is nicer though.

Have you considered PM concentree? It is certainly not identical but IMO is not as different as many consider it to be and it has very good longevity.

Others to consider could be Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (though there is a prominent pine note also) or Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa. I believe the Guerlain EdCs are also good, but not tried them personally.

thanks , i will check out the pmc it sounds like what i am looking for

I get very good longevity from Eau Sauvage . I get better longevity from the Pour Monsieur Concentree than I do from the regular Pour Monsieur.

(3833)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Both ES and CPM last on me 3-4 hrs depending on application.
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

To my nose, Pour Monsieur slightly outperforms Eau Sauvage (assuming the EDT version of both) in terms of longevity.

I find Eau Sauvage to be a marvellous 'everyday' fragrance. Works best for me when applied reasonably liberally and 'topped-up' when necessary. Large bottles are available for those who want to use it a lot - e.g. 1000ml for around £200, which is a big saving on the price per ml relative to the 100ml bottle which comes in at around £60. Dior also do a good range of bath / body products for Eau Sauvage, which again is nice if you want to make it a 'signature'.

In answer to the original question, I think Eau Sauvage and Pour Monsieur have similar 'longevity' of around 3-4 hours before re-application is required.

I would say they are equal.

PM has better longevity than ES. Es is very weak on my skin.

Basenotes Junkie

Longevity for me is better with contemporary Eau Sauvage than vintage Pour Monsieur.

I get better longevity with Eau Sauvage.

Pour Monsieur lingers all day. And you should be trying Sagamore (Lancome).

New Eau Sauvage smells pretty good but it's far more linear than it was.

I cannot detect oakmoss by wearing new Eau Sauvage.

It is all about the citrus smell.

The new Eau Sauvage lasts less than 2 hours on my skin. Pity that such a great perfume doesn´t last long enough .

I do a lot better longevity wise with Eau Sauvage than with Pour Monsieur.

I can get a whole day out of ES lingering close to the skin and even better if sprayed on cloths but PM is gone at the 4-5 hour mark, barely perceptible on my skin. Both of my bottles are from the early 2000's.

Eau Sauvage could be a great substitute to Pour Monsieur.

Have you sampled Eau Sauvage Extrême ? It has all the Eau Sauvage DNA, much better performance, and it is much closer in smell IMO to the original than Pour monsieur Concentrée to its original version.

After using many many bottles of Eau Sauvage , I am using as substitute Mugler Cologne. Have you tried it ?
    Last edited by LJD; 6th February 2014 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    I do a lot better longevity wise with Eau Sauvage than with Pour Monsieur.
    This is why I think BODY CHEMISTRY plays a much larger role than many of us realize.

I have tried Pour Monsiur (Concentree) before, and got decent longevity out of it. Nothing to really get excited and write home about, but satisfactory. The 4 or 5 times I've worn it, I would say it was somewhere around the 4 hour range before it was nearly impossible to pick up any longer (which, for me...is actually pretty decent and is acceptable for many/most fragrances)

I tried Eau Sauvage tonight....and got an outstanding first half hour. Simply brilliant. The smell of Eau Sauvage for that half hour was better than Pour Monsieur (which I like a lot). Problem is, after that first half hour, it was reduced to a skin scent that was gone after an hour...hour and a half, maybe.

So....this is something that will vary from person to person....but Eau Sauvage doesn't last on me for squat. Which is a real shame, because based off of the first 5 to 10 minutes, I was ready to pull out the wallet and buy a bottle. This is a prime example of how I never buy off of first impressions, and always sample, sample, sample with as many wearings as possible. I'll definitely give Eau Sauvage another try, but based off of tonight, I'll be shocked if there is any real noticeable difference in longevity.

Pour Monsieur has longer on my skin but both of the fragrances are skin scents.

Pour Monsieur boxes used to contain a little pamphlet that described it as ".....a virile chypre that becomes part a of you rather than surrounding you like a halo". I don't know the last formulation but the fragrance used to last a long time, it was durable and fairly resinous, contained a lot of oakmoss, labdanum, probably a drop or two of something animalic. It became part of me but it was also obvious to me and those around me all day that I was wearing it.
    Last edited by pluran; 7th February 2014 at 04:53 AM.