Code of Conduct

Question Made some blind buys. Rate my haul. (New to base notes)

I've been investing a bit more money into my wardrobe lately (20, in college) so I figured I'd make a similar investment in my fragrances for the remainder of winter and the upcoming spring & summer seasons. I did a fair amount of research and decided on purchasing these 5.

Givenchy Insensé Ultramarine
    Versus Blue Jeans
    YSL Body Kouros
    Vera Wang for Men
    Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

While this investment may seem overzealous, I only had one cologne previously (D&G The One, which I LOVE) and I'm nearly out. I'll probably eventually buy some more of that, because it's a great fragrance for me, despite it's weak longevity.

Basically, I'd like some feedback on my blind purchases. The only one that has arrived so far is the Givenchy IU. It's pretty good, I'd give it somewhere between a 7 & 8, for now. Excited to see what surprises the other fragrances bring. What do you guys think of my purchases?

Default Re: Made some blind buys. Rate my haul. (New to base notes)

Ot of 10:

Givenchy Insensé Ultramarine - 7
    YSL Body Kouros - 7
    Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier - 7

(3851)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Body Kouros has since been reformulated and in a new bottle. It's not bad but nothing amazing. It can be used as a refresher fragrance. Fleur du Male on the other hand is a beauty and my scent of the day today. Not everyone understands Fleur du Male, just look at all the negative reviews on it! Be careful with Fleur du Male, it's potent and has crazy sillage! Overspray it and you may hate it but with a few sprays the first time around and you may see its beauty. The others I haven't tried so can't speak about them.
    Last edited by Ronin; 5th February 2014 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Ot of 10:

Givenchy Insensé Ultramarine - 7
    YSL Body Kouros - 7
    Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier - 7

(3851)
    Just so I can get an idea of the scale here, have you ever tried D&G's The One? What would you rate that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Body Kouros has since been reformulated and in a new bottle. It's not bad but nothing amazing. It can be used as a refresher fragrance. Fleur du Male on the other hand is a beauty and my scent of the day today. Not everyone understands Fleur du Male, just look at all the negative reviews on it! Be careful with Fleur du Male, it's potent and has crazy sillage! Overspray it and you may hate it but with a few sprays the first time around and you may see its beauty. The others I haven't tried so can't speak about them.
    I really can't wait to smell it and try it out when spring comes..I think it'll compliment my wardrobe wonderfully.

Would you mind stating where you purchased these fragrances? There are many sellers out there that sell fakes and I've even gotten some bad bottles from legitimate sources like Fragrancenet. I've gotten some bad bottles from Amazon themselves but they always refunded my money but most of the stuff will arrive perfect. Beauty Encounter is another site I highly recommend.

Would you mind stating where you purchased these fragrances? There are many sellers out there that sell fakes and I've even gotten some bad bottles from legitimate sources like Fragrancenet. I've gotten some bad bottles from Amazon themselves but they always refunded my money but most of the stuff will arrive perfect. Beauty Encounter is another site I highly recommend.
    All from Amazon. I get 95% of everything I buy from Amazon, it seems, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JKE View Post
    All from Amazon. I get 95% of everything I buy from Amazon, it seems, lol.
    So "shipped and sold by Amazon.com"? There are many different sellers on Amazon and you really can't trust all of them. I bought a 4.2 oz. bottle of Fleur du Male from Amazon so I can vouch it's good stuff. I also recommend Gaultier 2 on there for $45 for a 4 oz. bottle. Not bad considering it's discontinued just like Fleur du Male.

So "shipped and sold by Amazon.com"? There are many different sellers on Amazon and you really can't trust all of them. I bought a 4.2 oz. bottle of Fleur du Male from Amazon so I can vouch it's good stuff. I also recommend Gaultier 2 on there for $45 for a 4 oz. bottle. Not bad considering it's discontinued just like Fleur du Male.
    Yep, I'm always weary of online shams so I made sure either a) amazon was the seller or b) there were plenty of favorable reviews. 4 out of the 5 I bought were sold directly from Amazon.

Yep, I'm always weary of online shams so I made sure either a) amazon was the seller or b) there were plenty of favorable reviews. 4 out of the 5 I bought were sold directly from Amazon.
    Which seller was the fifth one from if you don't mind me asking?

Which seller was the fifth one from if you don't mind me asking?
    AllFragrancesOnline. In hindsight, I actually could've bought the Vera Wang for Men from Amazon but I overlooked the Amazon listing. Hoping it's legitimate still, but either way, it's probably the fragrance that I'm least excited about.

Don't let people on this forum try and persuade you that blind-buying is a good idea. It most certainly is not!

AllFragrancesOnline. In hindsight, I actually could've bought the Vera Wang for Men from Amazon but I overlooked the Amazon listing. Hoping it's legitimate still, but either way, it's probably the fragrance that I'm least excited about.
    I've never heard of AllFragrancesOnline. If anything I'm sure you can press them and demand a refund if it is fake. Maybe you can post some pictures of it if you have doubts on here and people will assist you whether it is genuine or not. Amazon themselves and Beauty Encounter are my go-to places and Parfum1 is recommended highly too and I've bought from them once with good results but their prices tend to be a tad higher than Amazon or Beauty Encounter. From personal experience I don't recommend Fragrancenet.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Don't let people on this forum try and persuade you that blind-buying is a good idea. It most certainly is not!
    I'll post my impressions of each of the fragrances within the next couple days when they arrive. Hopefully this blind buy pays off! Living in a college town, it's not as easy to find quality products in town.

Congratulations, especially for Insense. A light, casual aquatic fragrance that smells different in terms of quality and finesse.

Let us know what you think of Givenchy Insensé Ultramarine. This one seems interesting.

Nice catch. Welcome aboard.

Vera Wang for Men
    Don't see this scent being suitable for college. It has a very mature feel (30+) and best for formal events. I haven't worn it for a while, just find it boring.

Let us know what you think of Givenchy Insensé Ultramarine. This one seems interesting.
    That's the lone one that has arrived so far. I really like it. When I first smelled it/tested it on my skin, I wasn't a huge fan, but I got more used to it and the smell that came out after an hour or so was really wonderful. I've been wearing it around the house because it smells so good and I can't leave the house because of the snow!

That's the lone one that has arrived so far. I really like it. When I first smelled it/tested it on my skin, I wasn't a huge fan, but I got more used to it and the smell that came out after an hour or so was really wonderful. I've been wearing it around the house because it smells so good and I can't leave the house because of the snow!
    Good to hear! If that Vera Wang is not genuine be sure to press the seller in refunding your money!

Good to hear! If that Vera Wang is not genuine be sure to press the seller in refunding your money!
    You can be sure that I will! Thanks for the heads up

Banned
    Blog Entries

I recently sold the Givenchy..
    Nice scent with poor longevity- Curve Appeal is in the same class but better..
    I don't have FDM but the other 3 are good additions..

Vera Wang is a solid less known scent but it gets compliments
    Body Kouros and Blue Jeans are classics and great for your age group..

4, 5= no good
    6, 7 = ok
    8 = quite nice
    9 = good
    10 = excellent

Givenchy Insensé Ultramarine 6
    Versus Blue Jeans 8
    YSL Body Kouros 7
    Vera Wang for Men -
    Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier 4
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Blog Entries

Rating the ones I've tried:

Versace Blue Jeans - 7/10
    Vera Wang for Men - 7.5/10
    YSL Body Kouros - 6.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by döfä91 View Post
    4, 5= no good
    6, 7 = ok
    8 = quite nice
    9 = good
    10 = excellent

Givenchy Insensé Ultramarine 6
    Versus Blue Jeans 8
    YSL Body Kouros 7
    Vera Wang for Men -
    Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier 4
    Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier 10!

Ok, 9.5 because there's no such thing as a perfect fragrance but I just adore this stuff in today's weak sillage and weak strength world of mainstream designer fragrances. I will accept Fleur du Male's rating anywhere from 6-10 but anything below a 6 suggests it's a failure of a fragrance and I refuse to accept that!
    Last edited by Ronin; 5th February 2014 at 03:29 PM.

Coming from someone who is also new to the fragrance world, I must say that you have a pretty good start. Not fantastic, but not bad. I will agree that blind buying such a big haul like that can be risky early on, but once you get more familiar with which notes you like most, blind buying does not become as big of a hassle.

Good luck and congratulations!
    "All the best perfumes in history have something that smells like garbage in them; that's what keeps drawing you back."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    I recently sold the Givenchy..
    Nice scent with poor longevity- Curve Appeal is in the same class but better..
    I don't have FDM but the other 3 are good additions..

Vera Wang is a solid less known scent but it gets compliments
    Body Kouros and Blue Jeans are classics and great for your age group..
    This is what I read...especially Blue Jeans, should be perfect for the hotter days in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by expressway View Post
    Coming from someone who is also new to the fragrance world, I must say that you have a pretty good start. Not fantastic, but not bad. I will agree that blind buying such a big haul like that can be risky early on, but once you get more familiar with which notes you like most, blind buying does not become as big of a hassle.

Good luck and congratulations!
    Thank you for the welcome! Which fragrances did you grab right off the bat?

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier 10!

Ok, 9.5 because there's no such thing as a perfect fragrance but I just adore this stuff in today's weak sillage and weak strength world of mainstream designer fragrances. I will accept Fleur du Male's rating anywhere from 6-10 but anything below a 6 suggests it's a failure of a fragrance and I refuse to accept that!
    Can't stand ANY Gaultier fragrance. Even the bottles i find vulgar. That's why i gave it 4. Still i respect your opinion and your liking it.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by döfä91 View Post
    Can't stand ANY Gaultier fragrance. Even the bottles i find vulgar. That's why i gave it 4. Still i respect your opinion and your liking it.
    Yeah, I mean, fragrances aren't to be taken seriously and one person's trash is another person's treasure. I can definitely see why some people would be put off by Fleur du Male for the same reasons why some would love it. Fleur du Male and Gaultier 2 are the only offerings from the house that I own and love and that also happen to be discontinued which makes me cherish them even more.
    Last edited by Ronin; 5th February 2014 at 04:19 PM.

You will enjoy Fleur du Male.

All of your scents are enjoyable.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    You will enjoy Fleur du Male.

All of your scents are enjoyable.
    I think Fleur du Male may be one of those fragrances that women enjoy more so on average than men. If you want to catch the attention of women then Fleur du Male is definitely a worth candidate in that respect.

Own and like
    Givenchy Insensé Ultramarine (has been ages since I've worn this one though)
    YSL Body Kouros

Owned and liked for a while then sold it as too much vanilla and the overall vibe didn't suit me anymore (apart from the stinky part).
    Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier.
    Still have the Cologne version which is quite nice for summer.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 5th February 2014 at 04:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Yes, I don't think I've seen many encouraging blind buys, though.
    It would be much better for your bank balance and your overall satisfaction if you sampled first and purchased later.

They are all in the 7-9 range IMO - My faves of the batch? - Body Kouros and Blue Jeans, strictly on personal prefernce - ya did good.

This is SO true. In my opinion, the wisest thing to do is tons of sampling. I bought a sample of Vera Wang and I'm glad I did because, for me, it was totally a pass. Your picks don't really appeal to me, but that's irrelevant since I'm not the one wearing 'em. All that matters is what you think of them. If they smell great to you, enjoy!

P.S. Welcome to basenotes!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Just so I can get an idea of the scale here, have you ever tried D&G's The One? What would you rate that?
    Yes, but personally not fond of this at all. Perhaps a 3 and that would be generous for me.

(3862)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Ok, I got Vera Wang for Men, Versus Blue Jeans, and YSL Body Kouros today. I'll speak on Vera Wang & the Blue Jeans for now, because I wore each today and can speak on the initial smell and dry down of each.

Vera Wang for Men - I'm a fan...I wasn't sold off the initial spray, but as I let it dry and settle, I really couldn't stop sniffing myself. Definitely a tad bit more formal than my other purchases that I've tried (Givenchy Insensé Ultramarine & Blue Jeans). I'd rate it around a 7/10

Versus Blue Jeans - WOW. I'm in love. Love the packaging, love the smell. Will be my signature for Spring/Summer. Can't wait to wear it out. Reminds me of lemons and vanilla coke. Really a great fragrance. 8/10 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Yes, but personally not fond of this at all. Perhaps a 3 and that would be generous for me.

(3862)
    Same here. I'd rather wear Jacomo Silver than D&G The One.
    Better, costs less.
    For Sale - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 8/20

Top 5
    ----------------------------------
    Kiton - Men
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Midnight In Paris EDP
    Guerlain - Homme L'eau Boisee
    Comme des Garcons - Wonderwood
    Gucci - Pour Homme 2003

Ok, I got Vera Wang for Men, Versus Blue Jeans, and YSL Body Kouros today. I'll speak on Vera Wang & the Blue Jeans for now, because I wore each today and can speak on the initial smell and dry down of each.

Vera Wang for Men - I'm a fan...I wasn't sold off the initial spray, but as I let it dry and settle, I really couldn't stop sniffing myself. Definitely a tad bit more formal than my other purchases that I've tried (Givenchy Insensé Ultramarine & Blue Jeans). I'd rate it around a 7/10

Versus Blue Jeans - WOW. I'm in love. Love the packaging, love the smell. Will be my signature for Spring/Summer. Can't wait to wear it out. Reminds me of lemons and vanilla coke. Really a great fragrance. 8/10 for me.
    Good to hear you received an authentic Vera Wang for Men fragrance from the other seller.

Good to hear you received an authentic Vera Wang for Men fragrance from the other seller.
    Yeah i think they usually like to fake the more expensive designers like dior and chanel.

Basenotes Junkie

OP, as per your original request, rating this haul a C. No world-beaters in this one, but Body Kouros and Fleur de Male are decent. Others are forgettable to poor, IMO. So, it's a mixed bag.

I've done worse, myself, you should feel pretty good about it overall.

Our opinions count for nought. What matters is whether you like them, which is why blind buying can be so risky, although that can be part of the fun.
    I've never smelled any of those and none of them even interest me, so what value will you get from a post that says "No, those are carp and not even worth testing" if you find you actually quite like some of them? Besides, you've already purchased them, so are you really just looking for some reassurance/validation of your choices to assuage your fears?

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Our opinions count for nought. What matters is whether you like them, which is why blind buying can be so risky, although that can be part of the fun.
    I've never smelled any of those and none of them even interest me, so what value will you get from a post that says "No, those are carp and not even worth testing" if you find you actually quite like some of them? Besides, you've already purchased them, so are you really just looking for some reassurance/validation of your choices to assuage your fears?
    Actually, yes. I know it's all preference and chemistry, but I figured I could at least glean a bit of insight from you all, considering many of you have been collecting/smelling for years! I was just asking to see what you all thought.

That being said, now that I've received each of the bottles, I wouldn't rate any of them below 7. Very happy.

Actually, yes. I know it's all preference and chemistry, but I figured I could at least glean a bit of insight from you all, considering many of you have been collecting/smelling for years! I was just asking to see what you all thought.

That being said, now that I've received each of the bottles, I wouldn't rate any of them below 7. Very happy.
    That's a great result
    I'm glad your research paid off.

I love Versace Blue Jeans! Smells so damn fresh.

I loved YSL's Body Kouros... till the bottle fell onto carpet from my bookshelf and broke. I never replaced it. Probably never will. YSL apparently uses cheap bottles and I paid the price for being rather careless when it fell off the said bookshelf. A shame. It's a damn nice scent.