Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances that ruined a complete genre for you.

Please share your thoughts.

Default Re: Fragrances that ruined a complete genre for you.

Aramis - wouldn't say it ruined the woody-chypre genre for me but gave me pause for a time many years ago and kept me away from this group for a while. I'm fine with this group today though.

(3863)
    Last edited by hednic; 5th February 2014 at 09:38 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I would never judge a entire genre by a few scents so for me their are none.

Fortunately I have never had that experience.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

I have smelled some really bad fragrances, but it wouldn't impact how I view other fragrances in the same category.

Is "Barbershop" scent a genre? For whatever reasons, I have not clicked to the barbershop scents yet.

I've never been a huge vetiver fan, and when I bought encre noire, I nearly swore off vetiver completely. It got over it after some time though.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I've never been a huge vetiver fan, and when I bought encre noire, I nearly swore off vetiver completely. It got over it after some time though.
    Encre Noire did the same to me but now after a few years I am planning on getting a bottle of vintage Guerlain Vetiver. Another one that comes to mind is Caron Pour un Homme, I couldn't handle the edible lavender (if such a thing exists) smell on my skin although on paper it smelled fantastic.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Leather
    Kouros
    Rien

I can tolerate some leather's but majority are too repulsing IMO that I have tried..

The use of fruity notes in the majority of ladies perfumes nowadays.
    I've found fruity based perfumes that are portrayed differently.

for swap/sale:

Same, I can tolerate hints of leather. But Carner Barcelona Cuirs was when I really realized wow...definitely can't handle big blast of leather. Lovely scent, just not something I could wear same thing with Chanel Cuir de Russie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Leather
    Kouros
    Rien

I can tolerate some leather's but majority are too repulsing IMO that I have tried..

I can't seem to wrap my head around aquatics in general. I am open to discovering one that I like but I don't hold out much hope. Nautica Voyage and Bulgari Aqua (and flankers) are just atrocious to my nose and are the reason I recoil at any bottle containing blue juice.

Kenzo Air kind of ruined vetiver for me. The combination with the anise smelled like burning hair or something, I didn't touch a vetiver fragrance for at least a year after, this was a long time ago, when I didn't really knew what vetiver smelled like. Then I stumbled onto Guerlain's Vetiver, (which, mind you, if you wanna know what real vetiver smells like, this is about as pure as you're gonna get) and I realized that vetiver is an amazing green and often soapy smell, that's wonderful, unique, and masculine.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Can't say it has happened to me.

Never really happened to me. I just smell as much as I can get my nose on. Plus, the genres are so muddled its hard to guess which genre a fragrance is actually in.

Can't say this has happened as such, but Tobacco Vanille made me wary of scents with vanilla...

Iso E Super fragrances; I really can't stand this synthetic-toxic fume and I really don't understand a massive use in perfumery like these days (maybe is cheap?)... I mean, this stuff doesn't smell nice even per se!!...quite the opposite, this artificial pseudosmooth-electric-cedar-peppery accord makes me feel so bad sometimes... I think there are similarities with kryptonite...

Anyway, pure example of this: Encre Noire by Lalique. Sorry but I don't really get the hype about this, and I love vetiver scents...but this?? This is a pretty but poor linear accord very - and I mean very - similar to Adolfo Domínguez Vetiver - only a bit darker and a bit muskier at the end - plus a heavy dose (46% I think) of Iso e Super, what gives you the umconfortable feeling that some kind of electric current passes through scent from head to toe, inducing headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Is "Barbershop" scent a genre? For whatever reasons, I have not clicked to the barbershop scents yet.
    Im with you on this.

Oh and whatever genre Kouros is in, i want nothing to do with it..

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo View Post
    Iso E Super fragrances; I really can't stand this synthetic-toxic fume and I really don't understand a massive use in perfumery like these days (maybe is cheap?)... I mean, this stuff doesn't smell nice even per se!!...quite the opposite, this artificial pseudosmooth-electric-cedar-peppery accord makes me feel so bad sometimes... I think there are similarities with kryptonite...

Anyway, pure example of this: Encre Noire by Lalique. Sorry but I don't really get the hype about this, and I love vetiver scents...but this?? This is a pretty but poor linear accord very - and I mean very - similar to Adolfo Domínguez Vetiver - only a bit darker and a bit muskier at the end - plus a heavy dose (46% I think) of Iso e Super, what gives you the umconfortable feeling that some kind of electric current passes through scent from head to toe, inducing headaches.
    Do you feel the same about Terre d'Hermes?

I quite like the smell of iso e super, even in it's purest form (Molecule 01).

I feel the same with Terre D'Hermes, but at low scale compared to Encre Noire which is is pure poison to me! lol

I think this is not only about smell but how yourself reacts; I mean, I don't like Terre D'Hermes but I can stand it and wear (I like parfum version better). But another scents like Encre Noire, Molecule, somme Comme Des Garçons stuff, etc are vile to me. There is something "lurking around" which smells so synthetic and ugly, with this toxic-chemical vibe... its just too much for me. Maybe I am too sensitive to this aromachemical...
    Last edited by Rodolfo; 6th February 2014 at 02:39 PM.

I see what you mean! All those scents are very heavy on iso e super. CdG seem to use it in everything! I think a lot of fragrances use this chemical, we'd probably be surprised how many. In small amounts, it can be very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    I can't seem to wrap my head around aquatics in general. I am open to discovering one that I like but I don't hold out much hope. Nautica Voyage and Bulgari Aqua (and flankers) are just atrocious to my nose and are the reason I recoil at any bottle containing blue juice.
    I had the same experience with Nautica Voyage.

One of the GFT ruined all fougeres for me.
    "As perfume doth remain In the folds where it hath lain, So the thought of you, remaining Deeply folded in my brain, Will not leave me: all things leave me: You remain."

-Arthur Symons

For quite a long time, was reluctant about gourmands, because I only knew Amen, Le Male, Joop Homme and Sculpture by Nikos. While some of the aforementioned are still ok and didn't completely ruin my interest for this fragrance category, it took far more and more diverse gourmand scents to really get to enjoy and thoroughly sample, purchase and wear them.