Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 48 of 48
  1. #1

    Default Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    I know there are a few dated threads about this but some info was not confirmed that im looking for. With my collection growing and not too many places to store my bottles besides a little plastic file cabinet type drawer, i need a secure place to place my children so that they stay strong and healthy for a long time. Wine cooler or mini fridge? Some say to get a mini fridge without a freezer. Id prefer a wine cooler just because it looks aesthetically appealing to the eye atleast for me. I could settle for a mini fridge also. My budget is not a penny over 200 because i have seen that wine coolers can get pricey. Some people say they dont turn on their fridge and just keep bottles in there because it is dark and the fridge always maintains a certain temperature inside when its off. I find that debatable. The reason i worrry is because my room has a bipolar climate. It gets extremely cold in the winter and extremely hot in the summer. Summer I dont have to worry as much because i have the ac running all the time and its an ice box. When the heat goes on in my room it gets very hot and the temperature fluctuates a bit much or i am just too paranoid that it does. Key questions- Wine cooler or min fridge? Best place or website to get one for a decent price? Leave the cooling systems off or on and if i were to keep it on, what temperature would be the best? I have somewhere in the 40-50 range of bottles and it will get bigger as time goes on. Although i just want to get all my niche and vintage sealed bottles in the fridge and others i keep in my plastic cabinet out of light.

  2. #2
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,149

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    I use a wine cooler. The better ones cost more but you can get some in your price range and they do usually have a warranty. Keep your receipt and documentation! I had one go out in 8 months with a 1 year warrenty. It was replaced and have had no problems with the second unit. I keep the temperature in the 52-54°f range.

    Many basenoters wil poo-poo the need. I ignore them and suggest that if you want the insurance of a wine cooler that the investment is worth it. Those that don't want the insurance of keeping their fragrances at a consistant low temperature should just not buy a cooler.

    Check in local "big box" stores and watch for sales.
    Last edited by Akahina; 6th February 2014 at 12:20 AM.
    My Favorites

    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense



    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.


    The IFRA can bite me!

  3. #3
    Basenotes Plus
    CapriDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sai Gon, Vietnam
    Posts
    3,048

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I use a wine cooler. The better ones cost more but you can get some in your price range and they do usually have a warranty. Keep your receipt and documentation! I had one go out in 8 months with a 1 year warrenty. It was replaced and have had no problems with the second unit. I keep the temperature in the 52-54°f range.

    Many basenoters wil poo-poo the need. I ignore them and suggest that if you want the insurance of a wine cooler that the investment is worth it. Those that don't want the insurance of keeping their fragrances at a consistant low temperature should just not buy a cooler.

    Check in local "big box" stores and watch for sales.
    How many bottles fit in your cooler? I understand it does vary but just like to have a rough idea.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    How big do u need. I have two mini ones from lowes...50 each. Got a spice rack ladder and have no problems. I set mine at 57f. ..it's cool enough for me. I also got privacy fil for the glass. My bedroom has black light blocking curtains. They run quiet...cool well. Hold enough for me. I have a cabinet under them for lower cost fragrances. I only keep my niche and expensive stuff in cooler.








  5. #5
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,149

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    How many bottles fit in your cooler? I understand it does vary but just like to have a rough idea.
    I have not counted! The shelves for wine do not work for fragrances. I searched and searched for some basket type platic containers that would fit inside without giving up space and I have packed them full.
    My Favorites

    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense



    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.


    The IFRA can bite me!

  6. #6
    Basenotes Plus
    PalmBeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,912

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I have not counted! The shelves for wine do not work for fragrances. I searched and searched for some basket type platic containers that would fit inside without giving up space and I have packed them full.
    For the reason you noted, I went with a beverage cooler. It maintains a steady 53*, which is perfect.

    Like you, I have never bothered to count, but let's just say, it holds quite a few bottles and decants.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    those are pefect! i want black ones like those! If only i can find the same design but a bigger size.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Check out some of the coolers in the thread where people show off their wardrobes.

    A few really nice ones in there!

  9. #9
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    79,764

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Of the two choices I'd choose a wine cooler. Looks better IMO. As far as temperature goes, I keep my vault where my fragrances are kept at 58F year round.

    (3865)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Great suggestions... I should probably buy one soon.

    The osmotheque also keeps their stuff at 12C, which is int the range everybody here is keeping theirs.

    cacio

  11. #11
    Basenotes Plus
    CapriDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sai Gon, Vietnam
    Posts
    3,048

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I have not counted! The shelves for wine do not work for fragrances. I searched and searched for some basket type platic containers that would fit inside without giving up space and I have packed them full.
    Thank you! I probably need to shop for one.

  12. #12
    Dependent chili_willi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    1,725

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    If you're going to display them at all then go with the wine cooler. I use a mini fridge but it is for storage purposes only as it is in the guest room which serves as my catch-all room. The fridge does ok but it has a tendency to vibrate the bottles around which is annoying, and isn't as roomy as it seemed when I first bought it (accumulating stuff will do that).

  13. #13

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    I found a few at the lowes website that i might go see at my local store. Problem is that they all look like they have the curved wine racks. Any ideas or suggestions to find shelves or some plexiglass parts to create shelves suitable to store bottles?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Wine coolers were problematic when I was looking because they A)didn't have proper shelves,(as you've noticed) and B) I couldn't find one under $2000 that held the amount of bottles that I wanted it to and C) had glass doors that were exposed to light.

    I ended up with a Sanyo half sized refrigerator that holds about 300 bottles. It does not have a freezer section and it requires no attention. The shelving is perfect for many bottles. It has a silver door and is black all around otherwise. It looks great in the bedroom, runs quietly and has served me greatly. The temp on the highest setting is about 46F which has never caused me any issues.

    Eric
    Last edited by evogel; 6th February 2014 at 10:25 AM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by PonyBoy View Post
    I found a few at the lowes website that i might go see at my local store. Problem is that they all look like they have the curved wine racks. Any ideas or suggestions to find shelves or some plexiglass parts to create shelves suitable to store bottles?
    EDIT: By the way, I counted and can fit ~ 30 bottles in my coolers between the 2. I could even fit more if I made a small plexiglass shelf for the front top part. Would allow me 3-4 more bottles per cooler...so...anywhere between 35-40 total. Thats quite a bit for two tiny coolers.

    if you measure the width of the metal racks that are in there, you can have home depot cut you some plexiglass/acrylic shelves. The problem with that is you will be blocking your bottles with the ones in front. Thats why I went to the container store and found the stepped spice/can food stands that are like staircased...and I can pull stuff from the back w/o taking a bunch of bottles out of the way. And I can see what all I have. if you get a bigger wine cooler, you can have plexi shelves made and get the spice staircase things and make a U with them (like 3 spice stairs per shelf...one on each side and one in the back.

    This way you can maximize the use of your space and still have access w/o dragging a bunch of bottles out eveytime you want to get one out of the back.

    A recommendation to you is...get a thermoelectric one if you plan on keeping it in your room. Compressor ones can get loud due to vibration...same with a small fridge.

    The ones I have are super quiet...they dont bother me at all in my bedroom. No problem falling asleep with them running.

    Lowes did have a bigger thermo electric like mine. Its a frigidaire dual zone. I liked it and almost bought it (200 bucks), but the reason I didnt is because the 2 zones are werent adjustable. Its a tower though and pretty narrow.

    As for the windows/glass on wine coolers...you can buy Gila Privacy Film in black...it blocks 99% of light (but you can still slightly see through it with the lights on in your cooler)...and get darker curtains for your room and keep your doors closed during the day. that way the room is already dark...and the film will keep any light out while still allowing you to see whats in your cooler w/o opening it.
    Last edited by str8gahbidge; 6th February 2014 at 02:47 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    I could use a cooler myself. Need something to hold quite a few bottles.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Hey im looking at the dual tower cooler you were talking about and top and bottom are adjustable for 179.99. My only concern is that if i remove the plate that splits the zones apart to fit more bottles, would that cause the whole cooler to become colder because of two fans generating a temperature?

  18. #18
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,149

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    The thermostates ahould work and prevent too low of a temperature. But one unit might do most of the work. I would personally leave the shelf in. You could have a cooler zone for citrus based scents.
    My Favorites

    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense



    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.


    The IFRA can bite me!

  19. #19

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Problem is I barely have any citrus bases frags haha. Majority are gourmands and oriental spicy etc. I went and bought it but now im a little skeptical because without the middle shelf it really makes it ideal for a lot of my frags to fit in. Now im a little stumped

  20. #20

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Also the even though the cooler is one that makes less noise it still may bother me when I sleep. I am one of those people that can't deal with any noises while trying to sleep. Do you and everyone else think it would be ok if I shut off the cooler over night and turn it on when I wake up. Basically shut off during sleep hours. No longer than 8 hours usually, sometimes less. Keep it at lets say 57 degrees like Hednic. They are always in my room and im pretty sure my room is warmer than that.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    I'm going to be turning a spare bedroom into a walk-in closet in the summer time. It gets real hot in the spare bedroom during the summer months so I'm going to need a wine cooler. I'll be looking for one that holds about 30 bottles, have 20 bottles right now but I don't ever see myself owning more than 30 bottles anytime soon. I'm going to replace the wire rack with plexiglass shelves. I have a couple of coolers I like right now but I'm always open to suggestions.

  22. #22
    Basenotes Plus
    PalmBeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,912

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Don't understand why people will get a Wine cooler, then spend more money replacing the shelves with plexiglass when you can purchase a beverage cooler that generally comes with tempered glass shelves. The temp range on a beverage cooler is a little different, but both the Wine Cooler and Beverage Cooler can be set at an optimum of 53-55*

  23. #23

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Don't understand why people will get a Wine cooler, then spend more money replacing the shelves with plexiglass when you can purchase a beverage cooler that generally comes with tempered glass shelves. The temp range on a beverage cooler is a little different, but both the Wine Cooler and Beverage Cooler can be set at an optimum of 53-55*


    I'm open to a beverage cooler if it looks good. I want one that'll hold a min of 20 bottles and maybe a max of 30 bottles.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Yeah, if you really feel the need for such a device then I'd just get one of those cheapo mini fridges at a big box store. I got mine at a garage sale for $20. Of course I use mine for something really valuable, my beer, but hey, to each their own.

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

  25. #25

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    I think wine coolers or beverage coolers will both work well. Since most wine coolers have a scalloped racks, it might be hard to store them upright. However, they do have a digital temperature display if you want optimal temperature. Beverage coolers will be easier to set them down because of the flat surface, but you might want to get a thermometer for a more accurate temperature.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by jnhkkm View Post
    I think wine coolers or beverage coolers will both work well. Since most wine coolers have a scalloped racks, it might be hard to store them upright. However, they do have a digital temperature display if you want optimal temperature. Beverage coolers will be easier to set them down because of the flat surface, but you might want to get a thermometer for a more accurate temperature.
    You can find wine-coolers with wooden shelves too. That's easier to store fragrances.

  27. #27
    Basenotes Plus
    PalmBeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,912

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    You can find wine-coolers with wooden shelves too. That's easier to store fragrances.
    The problem I found with wooden shelves, if the slats are not extremely close, small or thinning bottles will fall through. I have a beverage cooled, since they have tempered glass shelves.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    The problem I found with wooden shelves, if the slats are not extremely close, small or thinning bottles will fall through. I have a beverage cooled, since they have tempered glass shelves.
    True.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    So what I'm taking from this conversation is that colognes are preserved better in cooler temps,but is it really a necessity??????

  30. #30

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    How come department stores/sephora, etc don't keep all their fragrances in a cooled area? My guess is because it's not necessary if they're stored right. Though I can totally understand some people wanting to go the extra mile to have peace of mind. I've never had a problem with any fragrance going bad in my room, as long as it's dark/low light most of the time aNd a consistent temp of 65* degrees, they have been fine. ( and that's just from having a couple bottles opened on my dresser for years)

  31. #31

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchem85 View Post
    How come department stores/sephora, etc don't keep all their fragrances in a cooled area? My guess is because it's not necessary if they're stored right. Though I can totally understand some people wanting to go the extra mile to have peace of mind. I've never had a problem with any fragrance going bad in my room, as long as it's dark/low light most of the time aNd a consistent temp of 65* degrees, they have been fine. ( and that's just from having a couple bottles opened on my dresser for years)
    Department stores like Sephora are all temperatured controlled. I want a cooler because my new walk-in closet (spare bedroom) gets very hot in the summer time, upwards of 90+ during the day time when I'm not home. Department store's temp are never 90+. I'd never turn on the AC to cool down a room when I'm not in it. Right now I have my fragrances in my closet in a dark corner. I'd like to start having my fragrances stored on a dresser or in a glass display to show it off. I'm looking for a beverage/wine cooler because it has a glass dooor with glass shelves. Not looking for a mini fridge because of the door.

  32. #32

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Most people's houses are temp controlled too. It's not like when you walk into sephora, or NM, it's frigid like a fridge or wine cooler.

    If it gives you piece of mind, it's well worth it. I just don't see it being necessary for the most part.. Unless you live in a climate where temps fluctuate and you have no way to control your environment.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by just-visiting View Post
    Department stores like Sephora are all temperatured controlled. I want a cooler because my new walk-in closet (spare bedroom) gets very hot in the summer time, upwards of 90+ during the day time when I'm not home. Department store's temp are never 90+. I'd never turn on the AC to cool down a room when I'm not in it. Right now I have my fragrances in my closet in a dark corner. I'd like to start having my fragrances stored on a dresser or in a glass display to show it off. I'm looking for a beverage/wine cooler because it has a glass dooor with glass shelves. Not looking for a mini fridge because of the door.
    See, that's where we differ. I have central-air for a reason. My house never gets above 70*, but most of the time stays around 65-68*. I have blacked-out shades so the sun didn't really affect my bedroom.

    Of course, everyone situation is different. If you know that's the only way to keep your fragrances at a constant temp, then a cooler or mini fridge might be a good idea. I don't think it's right or wrong either way.

  34. #34

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchem85 View Post
    See, that's where we differ. I have central-air for a reason. My house never gets above 70*, but most of the time stays around 65-68*. I have blacked-out shades so the sun didn't really affect my bedroom.

    Of course, everyone situation is different. If you know that's the only way to keep your fragrances at a constant temp, then a cooler or mini fridge might be a good idea. I don't think it's right or wrong either way.
    Even if I had central air the AC would not be running or cooling down my house when I'm not home.

  35. #35

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by just-visiting View Post
    Even if I had central air the AC would not be running or cooling down my house when I'm not home.
    And that's your personal decision, and that's fine. I have two dogs and other things in my house that are temp sensitive so I prefer to keep my house under 70* constantly. The weather hasn't gotten hot yet, so it hasn't been necessary too much(the a/c) but mid summer when the temps reach the mid 90's and up, I definitely keep it running. Part of my energy system is solar, so I'm able to reduce costs and put less strain on the grid than even those who only run the a/c part time.

    However, In your case, I can understand the need to want a wine cooler/fridge.

  36. #36

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchem85 View Post
    And that's your personal decision, and that's fine. I have two dogs and other things in my house that are temp sensitive so I prefer to keep my house under 70* constantly. The weather hasn't gotten hot yet, so it hasn't been necessary too much(the a/c) but mid summer when the temps reach the mid 90's and up, I definitely keep it running. Part of my energy system is solar, so I'm able to reduce costs and put less strain on the grid than even those who only run the a/c part time.

    However, In your case, I can understand the need to want a wine cooler/fridge.
    I respect your decision to have your whole house temperature controlled properly if you have your pets inside your house during the day. I have no pets or have anyone home during the day.

  37. #37

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Word of warning here. One basenotes member completely ruined two bottles of fragrance by storing them in a cooler.I can't remember his name, but it was mentioned in a thread about Eau Sauvage pure perfume, (which should be easy to find).
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  38. #38

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Word of warning here. One basenotes member completely ruined two bottles of fragrance by storing them in a cooler.I can't remember his name, but it was mentioned in a thread about Eau Sauvage pure perfume, (which should be easy to find).
    That's why one should prefer a wine cooler instead of a (beverage) fridge.

  39. #39

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    That's why one should prefer a wine cooler instead of a (beverage) fridge.
    Both fridges and wine coolers reduce the temperature of fluids, thus, (in the case of this basenotes member) ruined two perfectly good bottles of cologne.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  40. #40

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Both fridges and wine coolers reduce the temperature of fluids, thus, (in the case of this basenotes member) ruined two perfectly good bottles of cologne.
    I tought you were talking about the BN with the "frozen" Serge Lutens. I don't see that happen in a wine cooler set on a constant temperature of 18° celcius.

    In official stores the Malles are conserved in a climate controlled closet so I guess that will be for their best as they are yet to be sold.

  41. #41

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Hey everyone checking in. Is it bad if my bottles are starting to get frosty and damp in my wine cooler? More so the ones in the back. The temperature has been maintained and monitored by a thermometer and stays at 57 degrees Fahrenheit. My cooler is becoming a bit more crowded because of my collection growing and some sealed fragrances in boxes.

  42. #42

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    There shouldn't be any ice at 57 F.
    Frost isn't good...

  43. #43

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    hmm any ideas? Sorry i should have elaborated a bit more. Not exactly ice, more like when windows get fogged up in a car and you wipe it away or the frost lol. As i wipe the bottle there is some moisture. Any ideas? Only thing i could come up with is being a bit over crowded in there?

  44. #44

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Maybe what you are experiencing is condensation in the refrigerator which could happen if warm air is getting in somehow. You might want to check the door for leaks.

  45. #45

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    As socalwoman was saying, if this happens in the refrigerator, it means there's warm and humid air somehow getting in, which is not good. If this happens when you open the door and the warm and humid air in the room gets in, it's likely likely just regular condensation on a cold surface, which need not be a problem (apart from the fact that your room is likely very humid).

    I don't know what is the ideal humidity level for perfume conservation. I think excessive humidity is not good.

    cacio

  46. #46
    Basenotes Plus
    PalmBeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,912

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Yup, as mentioned above, sounds like an air leak. Warm air is getting in there somehow.

  47. #47

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Thank you all for responding. I was thinking that before. In my opinion a cooler was a must due to the fact that my room is always around 80 degrees according to the dual thermostat meter i have. I keep a little white remote control looking thing that sits on the cooler shelves (rotate once in a while to see if certain areas are getting cooler or warmer air). It is currently 56 degrees in the cooler and 79 degrees fahrenheit in my room. The kitchen stove is literally 5 feet away from my room door when opened haha. I just opened my cooler in the past few hours just to peep and no frosting has been occurring. My xbox 360 generates a significant amount of heat and its on pretty often as i game online lol. My laptop has also been getting very hot lately and the fan has been working loudly for long periods of time so it could be going bad. I think i opened my cooler a couple times and i was rotating some fragrances to the back that i wont be wearing much in the upcoming warm seasons. So maybe the air got inside that way. It was open for about 2 or 3 minutes at most. By the way i have a few frags in boxes sitting on my dresser that are always kept in the boxes simply because i am running out of room. Do you think they could be suffering in my 80 degree room although they are in the boxes? For example i keep a 2013 reformulated dhi on the shelf and i have my opened and sealed box of vintage dhi safe in the cooler. Vintage DHI are my babies =D.

  48. #48
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Best wine cooler or mini fridge for fragrance storage?

    Depending on the age and condition of your refrigerator, it may or may not be very efficient at "self-defrosting", which is what pretty much all modern refrigerators do to minimize moisture, frost, condensation, etc. Basically they dehumidify to keep condensation and/or ice from building up. The more you open a refrigerator or freezer, the more moisture enters and condenses, and the more the fridge has to work to remove it.

    I use an older fridge that is self-defrosting, but I still tend to avoid opening it, and to keep my entry times short, to minimize generating condensation that it has to remove. I typically keep my vintage, my "rarities", my sensitive stuff, and my long-term bottles (like backups) in the fridge. I also try to do a seasonal rotation, so that fall and winter frags go in during the spring while spring and summer frags come out, and vice versa in the fall.

    Light is worse than heat. I would worry about direct sunlight, not about a mere 80 degrees. Boxes are good - drawers and boxes even better. I tend to worry less about stuff that is going to be used up in the next few years.

    Most important is to warm up stuff slowly after you pull it out. I tend to leave fragrances in the box, and let them warm up in the box after taking them out of the fridge. That seems to minimize condensation.

    Fridges are good, but unnecessary. Bottles do really well in dark drawers. For most folks, that's good enough. But I do have some things that I want to be "Osmotheque" about!
    * * * *

Similar Threads

  1. Most shallow wine-fridge or mini-fridge
    By DULLAH in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10th February 2012, 09:27 AM
  2. Mini fridge for fragrance
    By sfmacintosh in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th November 2011, 01:59 PM
  3. Scent cooler/fridge
    By Alicka61 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 5th February 2008, 06:56 PM
  4. Scent cooler/fridge
    By Alicka61 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th February 2008, 02:13 AM
  5. Suggestions for a cooler/fridge
    By MrCoffee in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 1st March 2007, 11:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •