Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Dior Cuir Cannage (2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Thanks hedonist! A redux 'Spanish leather' would be my thing! I will sniff it soon as a Dior Boutique is going to open in Vienna in April.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Holy shit!

Has it been released now I presume? Marks out of 10?
    Yes it's available.
    Cannot rate it as I'm only smelling from a drenched blotter.

Since I like those leathers I've mentioned above, I'm most likely going to like CC.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Sounds like it probably isn't a complete disaster anyway.
    Wow, where'd that come from.
    Why'd above think it'd be a distaste.
    Did I miss something?

The Dior prive has more successful perfumes than unsuccessful ones.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Yes it's available.
    Cannot rate it as I'm only smelling from a drenched blotter.

Since I like those leathers I've mentioned above, I'm most likely going to like CC.
    Spritz some on then from your decant )

Thanks for the info Hedonist it sounds fantastic and a must try for me. Will have to find out when it will become available in Oz.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

I sniffed this briefly on card this morning at Harrods.
    No samples and usual caveats apply in the case of first impressions.

To address Pluran's post, no, this is no IBQ nor rectified birch/cade monster. But then, it was never really going to be (sadly).

I got an orange blossom (/methyl anthranilate) dominated floral accord over a suede(rol)-like base. Possibly some iris in there, and a touch of amber to sweeten the deal.

Can't say much more without a proper sample, but there you go.

Wow, where'd that come from.
    Why'd above think it'd be a distaste.....
    Leathery perfume ingredients hit hard by IFRA regs in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post

To address Pluran's post, no, this is no IBQ nor rectified birch/cade monster. But then, it was never really going to be (sadly).

I got an orange blossom (/methyl anthranilate) dominated floral accord over a suede(rol)-like base. Possibly some iris in there, and a touch of amber to sweeten the deal.

Thanks gandhajala. Amusing to see all these people excited about every new release but I have my doubts about anything made today. Most of them aren't great and the great ones have all been reformulated into mediocrity.
    Last edited by pluran; 29th March 2014 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post

A little less excited now.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Spritz some on then from your decant )
    Very soon
    I'm still marinating in Oiro.

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Thanks for the info Hedonist it sounds fantastic and a must try for me. Will have to find out when it will become available in Oz.
    If you liked Leather Oud's boldness, you'll probably like this too.

for swap/sale:

Oh, and the SA said price increase is effective from 1st of April.

for swap/sale:

Thanks for the update Hedonist. Sounds like its going to be a good one.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Dior sales rep in Las Vegas told me a while back that it would be tested first in Middle Eastern markets prior to it being released in other parts of the world so glad to know it has finally appeared. Thanks Hedonist for your impressions. The excitement builds!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Dior sales rep in Las Vegas told me a while back that it would be tested first in Middle Eastern markets prior to it being released in other parts of the world so glad to know it has finally appeared. Thanks Hedonist for your impressions. The excitement builds!
    Makes sense since I heard it will be an exclusive to Harrods in the UK as well so I guess this will have limited distribution before being released worldwide.

Thanks for the pic and first impressions hedonist, sounds like a winner!

Basenotes Plus

Spoke with Dior in LV today, according to the gentleman I spoke with, it will not be available in the US till June, and will only be available from their Boutique and Bergdorf/Neiman's until September, when it will become a general release to the other Boutiques and other retailers offering Privee.

Can't understand why the other Boutiques would not have it, but this is what I have been told.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Spoke with Dior in LV today, according to the gentleman I spoke with, it will not be available in the US till June, and will only be available from their Boutique and Bergdorf/Neiman's until September, when it will become a general release to the other Boutiques and other retailers offering Privee.

Can't understand why the other Boutiques would not have it, but this is what I have been told.
    For some reason the Palazzo Dior boutique in Las Vegas always seems to get the new releases prior to the other ones. That was was the case with Oud Ispahan & more recently Gris Montaigne. Perhaps it has been designated by upper management as the showcase boutique in the US for new Dior launches.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

^^^^ Perhaps that's true, but what I don't get is the need to give any retailer the exclusive for three months.

Cuir Cannage opens with the rootiest iris (akin to Iris Silver Mist) & starkest leather note (akin to Peau d'Espagne or a matured Cuir de Russe).

for swap/sale:

Well, that does sound like a good combo to me, hedonist! Thanks!

Cuir Cannage opens with the rootiest iris (akin to Iris Silver Mist) & starkest leather note (akin to Peau d'Espagne or a matured Cuir de Russe).
    Could you elaborate some more. Thanks

That sounds interesting so far! Let us know how it develops. Hopefully it won't devolve into a lackluster base.

The leather note in Cuir de Russie is mostly gone. What's there now is more like high-pitched crisply burned wood. Hopefully this is better than that. I have faith in Demachy. If anyone knows how to work around the regulations, he does. Seems like a fairly big moment in perfumery. Just trying to put a positive spin on it. I'm not betting on it. Hopefully I'm wrong. :-)
    Last edited by pluran; 1st April 2014 at 07:20 AM.

Blog Entries

The leather note in Cuir de Russie is mostly gone. What's there now is more like high-pitched crisply burned wood. Hopefully this is better than that. I have faith in Demachy. Seems like a fairly big moment in perfumery. Just trying to put a positive spin on it. :-)
    I would love a leather that I can love. Chanel's modern one is nice, but it just doesn't appeal to me in any urgent way. It's an iffy one for me. Coach actually put out 3 stronger leather scents at the end of 2013, but they just misbehaved horribly for me as they dried down, so no dice. But I'm a sucker for Dior Vetiver, and if they can do for leather what they did for vetiver, then I may be a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I would love a leather that I can love. Chanel's modern one is nice, but it just doesn't appeal to me in any urgent way. It's an iffy one for me. Coach actually put out 3 stronger leather scents at the end of 2013, but they just misbehaved horribly for me as they dried down, so no dice. But I'm a sucker for Dior Vetiver, and if they can do for leather what they did for vetiver, then I may be a happy camper.
    The Chanel is seriously pale compared to what it was. Surprised they keep making it. I guess someone buys it. Dior seems to really want to make good fragrances. I figure it must be at least decent if hedonist likes it. We'll see. :-)

Re. the Chanel, I have several bottles of pre-Exclusif Cuir de Russie and Pluran's right, the current version is a very different animal. Gone is the rich, sandalwood base redolent of vintage no.5, together with the phenolic birch tar. I'm lucky in that I happen to like both.

As for the new Dior, I found the blotter in my coat pocket a couple of days later. I retract my initial suede impression, or rather, I'd say once the orange-blossom driven floral component recedes, the plushness does too. What remained (that I could smell) was in fact a much drier leather, with possibly some styrax. Difficult to tell, but I intend to go back to Harrods and try it again.
    Thanks for your continued impressions, Hedonist.

A little into it & the floral notes start becoming more prominent, as does a soft resinous note.
    The rose is a bit more prominent than the others.

The rooty iris/ start leather accord remain prominent, alongside the floral/resinous accord.

Projection is very strong - on par with Oud Ispahan & Leather Oud.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

The Chanel is seriously pale compared to what it was. Surprised they keep making it. I guess someone buys it. Dior seems to really want to make good fragrances. I figure it must be at least decent if hedonist likes it. We'll see. :-)
    Yes - the difference in the Chanel is rather jaw-dropping. I have a small sample of vintage - the whole thing is clearly defined, and every note is assertive and confident. Longevity is unreal. The modern stuff is - well - it's modern. It's soft, and fuzzy, like somebody left a bit of the old CdR under the pillow a week ago, and then sprayed it with some Allure Homme Blanche and some Chance yesterday. I will admit to being a male bimbo of the modern Chanels - I just love these modern, IFRA-tized fuzz-balls. So I guess there is SOMEBODY who likes it, but I can certainly see why fans of REAL leather are not impressed.

Blog Entries

Projection is very strong - on par with Oud Ispahan & Leather Oud.
    Wow - now that's good news.

Late to the party, but this anyone post this:

http://www.shortlist.com/grooming/di...n-unique-twist
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Late to the party, but this anyone post this:

http://www.shortlist.com/grooming/di...n-unique-twist
    "Leather with florals. It’s not a duo we often come across in the world of fragrance"

LOL. They flunk history of perfumery. Nice job researching, shortlist!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Why does the Middle East get the first crack at sampling all the right scents? They got Wood Mystique and the new Guerlain orientals.

Maybe they like rich spices compared to all the insipid aquatics of the Western market.

Thanks to Hedonist for the report. Still waiting to try the Cuir Cannage either way.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    "Leather with florals. It’s not a duo we often come across in the world of fragrance"

True. I am thinking of my adored PdE Cuir Ottoman (leather and iris), Cuir de Lancôme (leather and jasmine), and the wonderful Serge Lutens Sarrasins (leather and jasmine). Oh, and my Guerlain Dandy Arsene Lupin (leather and violet), and my Armani Prive Cuir Amethyste (leather and violet). I guess there is also my Bottega Venetta eau de parfum (leather and violet). What of Jolie Madame? (Violet and leather.) We need to keep in mind some writers just get press kits and are not geeks like many of us. We can overlook this oversight.
    Last edited by Primrose; 4th April 2014 at 04:05 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Late to the party - sounds interesting enough but this and a chat I'm having elsewhere have prompted me to drop by SMN tomorrow and reconsider grabbing a bottle of Peau d'Espagne while it's still cooking with gas.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post

The SA at Harrods today said that to me: "It's the first time leather has been combined with flowers." I guess it's part of the marketing materials, but they ought to know better. I kept my mouth shut!

My take is that it's really nice, but there's nothing sharp or bitter about it. I'll be frank: it smells to me VERY similar to Lutens's Cuir Mauresque and Prada's Cuir Ambre. It does have amazing projection: the spritz on my arm overtook my SOTD (Une Fleur de Cassie) and the generous blast of Oud Stars Zafar on my other arm. It's all I can smell now, about two and a half hours in. Looking forward to the even later stages.

Oh and by the way, they also told me that Mitzah's been discontinued. I'd been on the fence about that one, so I guess this decides for me.
    Last edited by Kagey; 12th April 2014 at 04:35 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    The SA at Harrods today said that to me: "It's the first time leather has been combined with flowers." I guess it's part of the marketing materials, but they ought to know better. I kept my mouth shut!

My take is that it's really nice, but there's nothing sharp or bitter about it. I'll be frank: it smells to me VERY similar to Lutens's Cuir Mauresque and Prada's Cuir Ambre. It does have amazing projection: the spritz on my arm overtook my SOTD (Une Fleur de Cassie) and the generous blast of Oud Stars Zafar on my other arm. It's all I can smell now, about two and a half hours in. Looking forward to the even later stages.

Oh and by the way, they also told me that Mitzah's been discontinued. I'd been on the fence about that one, so I guess this decides for me.
    Yes, same stark leather note from Cuir Mauresque as well.

for swap/sale:

I see the price increase has officially taken. Such a pity. I do think that many in the line are worth every penny though.

I cant wait to try it. I own both of the ouds from the collection and they by far some of most interesting takes on Oud I have owned. I hope they don't continue to increase the price of this amazing privee collection.

Just came back from testing it..well it does starts strong leathery like peau espagne or lonestar memories..but as it progress it smells like knize 10 with the leather is prominent and the floral is hiding at the back..if you like knize 10...well this should be bought..i may buy it though..since i love knize 10...

Just came back from testing it..well it does starts strong leathery like peau espagne or lonestar memories..but as it progress it smells like knize 10 with the leather is prominent and the floral is hiding at the back..if you like knize 10...well this should be bought..i may buy it though..since i love knize 10...

Hedonist, what are your current thoughts on this one? FBW? Also is it available at the Dubai airport duty free?

Hedonist, what are your current thoughts on this one? FBW? Also is it available at the Dubai airport duty free?
    Duke, I think it's definitely FBW if you like the genre leather. Then on top of that there's the delectable rooty iris opening.

I can say that if one loves LO & OI - they'll love CC.
    But not because they resemble each other from a notes perspective. No.
    Because they all share that bold flamboyant character.

for swap/sale:

I can say that if one loves LO & OI - they'll love CC.
    But not because they resemble each other from a notes perspective. No.
    Because they all share that bold flamboyant character.
    That's good to know. Thanks!

Definite buy for me.

Order online for U.S. delivery!! It's here!! The Web orders opened today!

Don't forget to check the box for free overnight delivery!!

http://www.dior.com/beauty/en_us/fra...r-cannage.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 9th May 2014 at 06:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Order online for US delivery!! It's here!! The Web orders opened today!

VERY cool! This sounds like a Dior Privee that will be hard to resist.

Sometimes I think that Dior does best on the exclusives which are the hardest to pull off - the well-worn standards like vetiver, oud or leather - where you really have to reach to make something memorable - and Dior just seems to rise to the occasion. The Dior Vetiver is just so awesome - one of my faves. I hope that this one impresses just as much. There is every indication that it will. Every comparison anybody has made, is to one standout fragrance or another.

Some eye candy for the folks:

Ready to shell out the dough!

Just bought mine minutes ago with complimentary UPS overnight shipping. That's a new one!

Blog Entries

Just bought mine minutes ago with complimentary UPS overnight shipping. That's a new one!
    Excellent! Looking forward to your report!

Thanks for the heads-up, Primrose!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Basenotes Junkie

I smelled it over the weekend at Harvey Nichols here in the UK. It was only sniffing a blotter, but it came of as very heavy to me, in the dirty sense like leather oud. I'll give it a fair shake sometime, but I'm on a lighter fragrances kick at the moment so it will have to wait a few months.

thanks
    rick

Hedonist, I adore iris and leather: PG Cuir d'Iris, Chanel No. 19, Chanel No. 19 Poudre, PdE Cuir Ottoman.

Oh, my. This must be a wonderful scent!

Order online for U.S. delivery!! It's here!! The Web orders opened today!

Have to thank you again for this heads up. Mine arrives on Monday!

I'm a leather freak and the missus loves floral...our bottle will be here on Tuesday.

Hedonist, I adore iris and leather: PG Cuir d'Iris, Chanel No. 19, Chanel No. 19 Poudre, PdE Cuir Ottoman.

Oh, my. This must be a wonderful scent!
    Rooty iris that actually sustains beyond the first five minutes & a stark leather note. Full bottle worthy.

for swap/sale:

For me it is nothing more than a good intro to niche leather.....nothing interesting. Hope the Prive collection gets more creative with their increasing prices.

Hednic did you get your bottle? What are your thoughts lol

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Hednic did you get your bottle? What are your thoughts lol
    Received it this morning. It's exactly as Hedonist describes above. Just love it!

hednic, I got mine, too! From first impressions, it is like Prada Cuir Ambre and SL Cuir Mauresque.

Likewise, it's less spicy than Cuir Mauresque and has more mixed florals.

As for the price point, IMO, the Cuir Cannage is the best value for the money in its larger sizes. As an EDP, unlike the Cuir Ambre, which is a parfum (30 ml), I can spray lavishly. I am sure it will have the nuclear Dior Privee sillage and longevity. The Cuir Mauresque usually comes in the export 50 ml, although I am sure it comes in the cloche bottle at the cloche bottle price.

I think I will be very happy with my new leather. I put this up there with my love for Cuir de Lancome (now fetching higher prices at discounters when it was once sold for $25.00USD after discontinuing), HdP 1889 Moulin Rouge and Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman.

I am still pondering a cloche bottle of SL Boxeuses, which is a leather in this category.

Received it this morning. It's exactly as Hedonist describes above. Just love it!
    clever answer lol.

As an aside, this is different on a blotter or facial tissue than skin.

On a blotter, the scent is very dry and leathery and more like Fahrenheit.

On skin, the florals really come out and the scent is more complex.

Basenotes Plus

I almost pulled the trigger on this one yesterday, but somehow I walked away from the computer and it didn't happen. I'm revisiting my basket today... one click away from the 8.4oz bottle...

So, from guys who bought this and have already tried this - worthy of a blind buy? How prominent is the "white flower" note? Would you say it's unisex, or leaning into more feminine territory? I'm very much OK with leather, but not overly fond of too much flowers. Comparatively speaking, how much more floral is it than Ambre Nuit - which is pretty floral on me, but the amber/pink pepper/citrus notes round it off to the point where I don't perceive the flowery notes as much. Comparisons to other feminine leathers is what made me pause, although loving the house of Dior and the Privée line in particular, I am almost willing to blind buy it "just because."

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post

So, from guys who bought this and have already tried this - worthy of a blind buy? How prominent is the "white flower" note? Would you say it's unisex, or leaning into more feminine territory?
    IMO yes. Overshadowed by the leather IMO. Definitely unisex IMO.

My jug (huge 8.4 oz. flacon) of Cuir Cannage arrived early this morning. I arranged to work from home today (surprise, surprise) so I have been wearing this fragrance for the past few hours. Here are my Initial informal thoughts and impressions as I sniff this fragrance:

- The opening is an "eye opener" and fills the room...absolutely loved it, although my wife isn't a fan of in-your-face openings. I am unfamiliar with Cuir de Russie, Leather Oud and PureDistance M, however I can say the opening was loud and proud. I guess the words "petroleum note, medicinal & stark" would be fairly accurate. To me, I would say the words medicinal and plasticy, and perhaps petroleum to a lesser extent.

- The leather is prominent and...well, it has a unique scent (to my nose). First, CC is nothing like Tuscan Leather or Golden boy; nor is it anything like Midnight in Paris, CH Men or many light leather fragrances. The feeling I get is of a cleaner/plasticy type leather...perhaps morphed with a new leather baseball glove that had been polished with neatsfoot oil and saddle soap, and left to dry in a cabinet with twine wrapped-around the glove with a weathered leather-covered baseball in the webbing. Okay, I know I used the words clean and pasticy, but this leather also has a dirty quality to it. Go figure!

- To me the 'white floral' is equally prominent in this fragrance; it shares top-billing with the leather. My somewhat dolt-like nose does detect a whisper of orange blossom and juniper, but I cannot pinpoint jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose or iris; The term "White florals" pretty much sums up my impression of the how the floral notes are blended to support and compliment the leather.

- Someone asked if the florals were as prominent in CC as in Ambre Nuit. Let me take a stab at this one since I have both fragrances. IMO, both are equally floral but in a different way. Ambre Nuit has a very subtle rose note (honestly, I don't feel that Ambre Nuit is a Rose fragrance). However, to me rose tends to make a fragrance a bit more floral and feminine IMO (that's just me because I identify rose scents with my grandmother). In the case of Cuir Cannage...much like with the leather note, I too feel the florals also feel a bit dirtied by a faint smokey birch note and feel earthy. I envision a forest of birch trees are ablaze next to nearby field of freshly blooming flowers, and the birch smoke has drifted into the field and coated the flowers with it's smokiness. Shortly afterwards, it starts to rain; there is cloudburst and the force of the raindrops kicks-up earth and mud onto the already smoke-drenched flowers bud. Minutes later the sun is shining and that's how I can best describe the white floral smell I'm detecting. In other words, white florals that are somewhat muted by an faint smell of earthy and smokey birch.

- I suppose I get that medicinal leather vibe that I describe as a new leather baseball glove polished with neatsfoot oil and saddle soap, and wrapped in twine...with a slightly dirty quality to it; also white florals that were gently kissed with a hint of birch smoke and dirty earth; the leather and floral are equally matched and, in my opinion, compete for dominance in this fragrance. For the past few hours I have been sniffing my wrist. One second I get CC leather, the next I get smoky floral, and the next second the leather is in one nostril while the smoky floral occupies the other. Then both are engaged in battle--in a very pleasing way--in my sinus cavity because they are fighting for my love and affection. One could say they are in a battle--all the way to the death of this fragrance--and I'm the big winner! I love both scents and I love the fact they are waging war for my attention. Is is truly an epic battle between leather and floral but, in the end, will Leather win the war or will white floral be victorious? Or will they both go down together. Let's just say we've got ourselves Leather Carnage! (Lol)

- Right now I'm almost 4-hours into the drydown and I'm loving it. It has been a leather-floral battle since 5-minute into this fragrance when the opening was a bomb, of sorts. It's too early to accurately judge longevity and projection, but I would be shocked if I didn't get at least 8 hours out of this fragrance. The opening few minutes are beastly and the projection is certainly above average. My impression is that CC appears to be pushing out 3-6 feet during the first 4-hours on my skin but it is difficult to gauge since I'm working home alone today. This fragrance has a heavy quality to it so I suspect it will leave a nice scent trail...but that's just my initial impression.

- As with Ambre Nuit, Cuir Cannage is also a unisex fragrance. In my opion, Ambre Nuit is slight more feminne (due to the rose note) and Cuir Cannage is slight more masculine (due to the opening and dirty qualities)...however, both can be easily worn by men and women. I sprayed myself with 4-blasts since I'm at home today. Ummm...let's just say that I would never go with 4-sprays if I were in the office. Men should go light on the trigger (1-2 sprays) while women can pull-off 2-4 sprays. Again, this is merely my opinion as I feel men who spray too much will cross-over that smelling good/masculine/sexy border and come across as smelling chickly.

- I love this fragrance and feel that it will get its fair-share of compliment. Moreover, I would love to smell this fragrance on the missus too. Finally, since I started writing this post I am now detecting a touch more smokey birch, which I freaking love, and strangely an amber vibe? The rest of the drydown should be very interesting. Anyway, these are my random thoughts and I'm not editing them since I have to get back to work.
    Last edited by riffjim4069; 13th May 2014 at 07:07 PM.