Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Dior Cuir Cannage (2014)

Very nice assessment of this new fragrance
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Very nice assessment of this new fragrance
    Thanks! Six and one-half hours in and this fragrance has settled down a bit. However, it is not a skin scent as I can detect it from more than six-inches from my face. I feel comfortable in saying this fragrance has excellent longevity (8+ hours) on my skin but it is not a beast, which I feel is perfect. At this point on my skin, Cuir Cannage is 40% leather, 40% floral and 20% sweeter (less smoky) woody/earthiness. My wife just came home and she said it was a really nice snuggle scent. So there you go! I think most people will enjoy this one...however, try before you buy...or find yourself a wife and daughter who steal borrow the all fragrances you don't use. (Lol)

Quote Originally Posted by riffjim4069 View Post
    Thanks! Six and one-half hours in and this fragrance has settled down a bit. However, it is not a skin scent as I can detect it from more than six-inches from my face. I feel comfortable in saying this fragrance has excellent longevity (8+ hours) on my skin but it is not a beast, which I feel is perfect. At this point on my skin, Cuir Cannage is 40% leather, 40% floral and 20% sweeter (less smoky) woody/earthiness. My wife just came home and she said it was a really nice snuggle scent. So there you go! I think most people will enjoy this one...however, try before you buy...or find yourself a wife and daughter who steal borrow the all fragrances you don't use. (Lol)
    Thanks for your amazing review , my worry was it would be like Tuscan Leather ( which I detest) but this will be safe blind buy for me.

Blog Entries

A am intrigued by the mentions of petroleum! Sounds like something that a Fahrenheit lover could love!

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Thanks for your amazing review , my worry was it would be like Tuscan Leather ( which I detest) but this will be safe blind buy for me.
    Tuscan Leather is one of my favorites, but this one is certainly very different and rates a try. Still, I would never recommend a blind-buy...even though I do it from time-to-time.

I've never tried Chanel Cuir de Russie...can someone tell me how these two fragrances compare?

I can give it a small shot: To me, Cuir de Russie (we mean the Chanel one, right?) is much heavier on the iris and the leather is buttery - it gets slightly dirty-hair animalic but never bitter or petroleum-like. Cuir Cannage definitely has the iris, like hedonist mentioned, but the orange blossom and other white flowers (I get jasmine) are very prominent alongside the iris. And the leather does that petroleum thing a la Knize Ten. It softens down after a while but never completely goes away.

I haven't tried them side by side, but to my relatively unsophisticated nose this smells so much like Cuir Mauresque I'm not sure I could tell them apart in a blind smell test. I want to say that CC is a slightly lighter version; CM is very dense and CC feels like CM that has had some air and light whipped into it.

There's also something in Cuir Cannage that reminds me of Rien by ELdO. Not a smell so much as the sensation of a slight dry or chalky rasp at the back of the throat - I've noticed it in other fragrances and have described it as the orange-flavored children's aspirin. Oddly, I don't see that as a bad thing; I just don't know how to describe it well.

I wore CC yesterday and can still smell it quite strongly on my arms this morning. I'm not sure how strongly it projects, but it certainly lasts for ages.

I need to get a sample of this to try. I'm wearing Leather Oud today and to me it is the best out of the line.

Would anyone compare Cuir Cannage to Parfum d' Empire Cuir Ottoman? On me Cuir Ottoman is smooth leather with iris and jasmine mostly.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    I need to get a sample of this to try. I'm wearing Leather Oud today and to me it is the best out of the line.

Would anyone compare Cuir Cannage to Parfum d' Empire Cuir Ottoman? On me Cuir Ottoman is smooth leather with iris and jasmine mostly.
    CO is like Tuscan Leather Cuiron. Suede leathers.

CC is like Cuir de Russe & Peau d'espagne.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    CO is like Tuscan Leather Cuiron. Suede leathers.

CC is like Cuir de Russe & Peau d'espagne.
    Thank you. I just sampled Cuir de Russie last night and really enjoyed the leather note. It sort of reminds me of the birch/smokey notes in Le Labo Patchouli 24.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    Thank you. I just sampled Cuir de Russie last night and really enjoyed the leather note. It sort of reminds me of the birch/smokey notes in Le Labo Patchouli 24.
    I agree the Chanel Cuir de Russie is smoky with the iris, but the Le Labo Patchcouli 24 is a smoke/leather and patchouli H-bomb. There are no florals in Patchouli 24, On the other hand, the Cuir Cannage is closer in spirit to the Cuir de Lancome, which is a smoky leather with a pronounced jasmine. You might want to try the Cuir de Lancome at some point.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I can give it a small shot: To me, Cuir de Russie (we mean the Chanel one, right?)...I wore CC yesterday and can still smell it quite strongly on my arms this morning. I'm not sure how strongly it projects, but it certainly lasts for ages.
    Thanks for the info! I'm not sure Chanel Cuir de Russie is bottle-worthy (to me) but it's definitely a try. In fact, I should probably try swapping 30ml of Cuir Cannage for Cuir de Russie. Finally, I washed CC off of my skin after 8-1/2 hours and it was still a noticeable skin scent...even after having a good sweat at the gym. I don't think many will have an issue with longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I can give it a small shot: To me, Cuir de Russie (we mean the Chanel one, right?) is much heavier on the iris and the leather is buttery - it gets slightly dirty-hair animalic but never bitter or petroleum-like. Cuir Cannage definitely has the iris, like hedonist mentioned, but the orange blossom and other white flowers (I get jasmine) are very prominent alongside the iris. And the leather does that petroleum thing a la Knize Ten. It softens down after a while but never completely goes away.

I haven't tried them side by side, but to my relatively unsophisticated nose this smells so much like Cuir Mauresque I'm not sure I could tell them apart in a blind smell test. I want to say that CC is a slightly lighter version; CM is very dense and CC feels like CM that has had some air and light whipped into it.

There's also something in Cuir Cannage that reminds me of Rien by ELdO. Not a smell so much as the sensation of a slight dry or chalky rasp at the back of the throat - I've noticed it in other fragrances and have described it as the orange-flavored children's aspirin. Oddly, I don't see that as a bad thing; I just don't know how to describe it well.

I wore CC yesterday and can still smell it quite strongly on my arms this morning. I'm not sure how strongly it projects, but it certainly lasts for ages.
    All of what I have samples of the Dior Privee line have excellent longevity and projection. The :Leather Oud and Oud Ispahan can outlast a shower, and its very hard to wash off if you want to switch to another scent.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Anyone else get their mitts on Cuir Cannage...thoughts? I noticed our bottle of Cuir de Russie just arrived at the house (Birthday Present) so I'll get to compare CC and CdR this evening.

I have only worn Cuir Cannage once so far, but my first impression is that it most closely resembles Knize Ten, but is also very similar to Cuir Mauresque as Kagey mentioned. It is less like Chanel Cuir de Russie than the notes list might suggest; CCdR is smoother, sweeter, more floral while this is more sharp and citric.

The drydown was something else again, I need to wear it again before attempting to characterize it, but it distinguished itself from the others mentioned.

This is a rich fragrance with moderate sillage and great longevity on my skin. If you like the leather genre, this is a worthy addition even if you have all the others, IMO.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Okay, I have been sitting here with Cuir de Russie on my left arm and Cuir Cannage on the right for the past 4+ hours. These fragrances are miles apart IMO; both are nice, but very different. If you want a mental image from the male perspective, with CdR I envision Ben Cartwright (Bonanza) sitting atop a clean leather saddle strapped to a tan horse---along with a mild horse hide smell---while trotting through a field of flowers; whereas CC reminds me of someone riding a Harley, complete with leather saddlebags and a little road grime, while wearing weathered leather chaps. The image I have in mind is of Tommy Chong warming-up his Harley (from the movie Cheech & Chong's Next Movie) while spewing oily exhaust upon the neighbor's flower bed. There you go!

My wife is not crazy about CC or CdR, but she prefers CdR, which has a smooth buttery feel to it. Meanwhile, I go nuts over CC while CdR is merely okay. Moreover, after 4+ hours on my skin CC is going strong while CdR is a very soft skin scent - been that way for at least an hour.

Anyway, I love Cuir Cannange! We'll give Cuir de Russie a few more tries but I'm thinking it's going back to Chanel. We shall see. Our flacon of Coromandel also arrived and this stuff rocks (wife and I both love it)! C'est la vie!

My mental image of Cuir de Russie: (a little too clean and spiffy for me)
    http://db3.stb.s-msn.com/i/1D/F235CB...9AB61BE1A8.jpg

My mental images of Cuir Cannage: (I like how this fragrance rolls)
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-u7TEh2IFm4...Movie+1980.jpg
    PLUS
    http://thumbs.anyclip.com/togpjnaDh/tmb_973_480.jpg
    Last edited by riffjim4069; 22nd May 2014 at 02:14 AM.

I am also reminded of Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger, which is now discontinued.

Orange blossom and jasmine with leather.
    Last edited by Primrose; 31st May 2014 at 07:07 AM.

Cool - Cuir d'Oranger is a favourite of mine . . . I have back-ups! Hoping Cuir Cannage turns up here over the next week or two, 'due any day'.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

This should immediately be put into the small pile of hardcore birch-tar leathers. Like others have said, right off the bat it is very similar to Cuir Mauresque/ Royal English Leather/ Knize 10, but with a big dose of iris added. Im not familiar with the other frags mentioned but if they are birchtar heavy then im sure the comparisons are apt.

Cuir Mauresque is very syrupy and heavy for several hours but it seems that the white florals make CC much lighter after a few minutes.
    I will be wearing this all day today to see how it does.

Seems like we have another big winner from the Privee line.
    Last edited by heperd; 30th May 2014 at 07:38 PM.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by riffjim4069 View Post
    Okay, I have been sitting here with Cuir de Russie on my left arm and Cuir Cannage on the right for the past 4+ hours. These fragrances are miles apart IMO; both are nice, but very different. If you want a mental image from the male perspective, with CdR I envision Ben Cartwright (Bonanza) sitting atop a clean leather saddle strapped to a tan horse---along with a mild horse hide smell---while trotting through a field of flowers; whereas CC reminds me of someone riding a Harley, complete with leather saddlebags and a little road grime, while wearing weathered leather chaps. The image I have in mind is of Tommy Chong warming-up his Harley (from the movie Cheech & Chong's Next Movie) while spewing oily exhaust upon the neighbor's flower bed. There you go!

My wife is not crazy about CC or CdR, but she prefers CdR, which has a smooth buttery feel to it. Meanwhile, I go nuts over CC while CdR is merely okay. Moreover, after 4+ hours on my skin CC is going strong while CdR is a very soft skin scent - been that way for at least an hour.

Anyway, I love Cuir Cannange! We'll give Cuir de Russie a few more tries but I'm thinking it's going back to Chanel. We shall see. Our flacon of Coromandel also arrived and this stuff rocks (wife and I both love it)! C'est la vie!

My mental image of Cuir de Russie: (a little too clean and spiffy for me)
    http://db3.stb.s-msn.com/i/1D/F235CB...9AB61BE1A8.jpg

My mental images of Cuir Cannage: (I like how this fragrance rolls)
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-u7TEh2IFm4...Movie+1980.jpg
    PLUS
    http://thumbs.anyclip.com/togpjnaDh/tmb_973_480.jpg
    For a real "horse note," try Les Heures de Cartier IV L'Heure Fougueuse. This is a wonderful scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    For a real "horse note," try Les Heures de Cartier IV L'Heure Fougueuse. This is a wonderful scent.
    Thanks...

Tried it yesterday, skin and paper, and very impressed.

For the first few hours it has a moist and quite luxe / glam mood - very 'dressed' - which then slips into a very grown-up, warm Guerlainade style backend.

It recalls moments of Iris Ganache, the backend of Voyages Olfactif Shanghai and perhaps Cuir Mauresque. Essentially a floral woods leather style but taken to the max in terms of luxury without being gaudy. In fact the mood is a little noir, it has a sombre beauty.

BUT that's just a first impression - will definitely be trying this some more. Quality work, very seductive and, mercifully, it seems to be made for adults who appreciate quiet depth over 'look at me' noise.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

I don't have a lot of experience with leather fragrances but I really like this one. The cleanest leather fragrance I have encountered this far. Moderate sill age with above average longevity on skin and tenacious longevity on clothing.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Blog Entries

Many thanks to Primrose for sending me a care package with a sample of this! I'm still trying to figure this thing out. I have to say, I was *surprised* by my initial sniffing of it, even though I could not really figure out why I was surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    This should immediately be put into the small pile of hardcore birch-tar leathers. Like others have said, right off the bat it is very similar to Cuir Mauresque/ Royal English Leather/ Knize 10, but with a big dose of iris added. Im not familiar with the other frags mentioned but if they are birchtar heavy then im sure the comparisons are apt.

Cuir Mauresque is very syrupy and heavy for several hours but it seems that the white florals make CC much lighter after a few minutes.
    I will be wearing this all day today to see how it does.

Seems like we have another big winner from the Privee line.
    The iris would explain a lot about this fragrance, as well as the white florals. There is a "strong" (hard to find the proper word) diffuseness, lightness and brightness to it, despite being very smoky. Interesting stuff for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Tried it yesterday, skin and paper, and very impressed.

For the first few hours it has a moist and quite luxe / glam mood - very 'dressed' - which then slips into a very grown-up, warm Guerlainade style backend.

It recalls moments of Iris Ganache, the backend of Voyages Olfactif Shanghai and perhaps Cuir Mauresque. Essentially a floral woods leather style but taken to the max in terms of luxury without being gaudy. In fact the mood is a little noir, it has a sombre beauty.

BUT that's just a first impression - will definitely be trying this some more. Quality work, very seductive and, mercifully, it seems to be made for adults who appreciate quiet depth over 'look at me' noise.
    Great descriptions. It's almost "brightly sombre". I had not noticed the similarity to Shanghai, but now that you mention it - yes! And I agree - it's a very adult fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    I don't have a lot of experience with leather fragrances but I really like this one. The cleanest leather fragrance I have encountered this far. Moderate sill age with above average longevity on skin and tenacious longevity on clothing.
    Yes - I agree - very clean, despite the omnipresent leather notes. It really holds up well - that leather note stays with it long into the drydown. I like the clean part. Dirty leathers are interesting, but it's nice to have some that are not so dirty.

The longevity really is phenomenal. And it holds its form, too - clearly the result of a lot of work.

What struck me about the fragrance is that it's very soft, fuzzy and diffuse, like so many modern fragrances (to some extent the result of IFRA, I think), but it really takes advantage of that, and runs with it, rather than running away from it. Probably the iris, as heperd pointed out.

Interesting blurb here: http://www.shortlist.com/grooming/di...n-unique-twist

Originally inspired by the idea of smelling the insides of a leather bag, Cuir Cannage audaciously fuses rose, jasmine and iris top notes with contrasting manly, robust base notes of leather to create a unique, sensual woody experience.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Spoke with Dior in LV today, according to the gentleman I spoke with, it will not be available in the US till June, and will only be available from their Boutique and Bergdorf/Neiman's until September, when it will become a general release to the other Boutiques and other retailers offering Privee.

Can't understand why the other Boutiques would not have it, but this is what I have been told.
    On Saturday, I popped into Dior on 57th and the SA said it will be available here in NYC on July 1.

I got in on a split of this and can't wait to try it, it sounds like my sort of scent. By the way has anyone had any thoughts about the name? Leather "cane work" (or as far as I can tell something like the weaving that is done on the back of chairs)? Is this because the leather has this sort of rough and yet elegant texture that fits together like the cane weaving of chairs?! Sorry, just curious since I found the name rather striking.

Basenotes Plus

I guess the translation can go in couple directions... Cannage translates to "caning", which is a form of a corporal punishment in which someone is beaten with a cane, typically one made from rattan. Although this term can also be used to refer to the practice of weaving rushes and other materials together to make seats and backs for chairs, I suspect that's not what Dior had in mind here. I suspect it's sort of a playful way of "punishment by leather" if you will. Or, perhaps "leather treatment" (or "treated leather"?)... as this fragrance is inspired by the scent of inside of a leather bag with its combination of flower and leather accords. Sort of Dior's take on the leather bag insides, which Hermes "invented" with Eau d'Hermes release in the 1950's. What's old, is new again.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    I guess the translation can go in couple directions... Cannage translates to "caning", which is a form of a corporal punishment in which someone is beaten with a cane, typically one made from rattan. Although this term can also be used to refer to the practice of weaving rushes and other materials together to make seats and backs for chairs, I suspect that's not what Dior had in mind here. I suspect it's sort of a playful way of "punishment by leather" if you will. Or, perhaps "leather treatment" (or "treated leather"?)... as this fragrance is inspired by the scent of inside of a leather bag with its combination of flower and leather accords. Sort of Dior's take on the leather bag insides, which Hermes "invented" with Eau d'Hermes release in the 1950's. What's old, is new again.
    Wow, seriously!? I couldn't find that definition in my French dictionary, that's super interesting! Thanks for the info.

Dior's website makes it clear that the name refers to a woman's leather handbag and the contents within, including lipstick, makeup, and tobacco. Cuir cannage is often used in reference to leather bags that have a woven or embossed design that mimics the woven structure of cannage.

The "Cannage" is in reference to the stunning cane patterns famously used on the Lady Dior handbags hence the perfume's scent being described as the "inside of a leather handbag" I love the House of Dior & its vibrant history.

the-lady-dior-cannage-bag.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    I got in on a split of this and can't wait to try it, it sounds like my sort of scent. By the way has anyone had any thoughts about the name? Leather "cane work" (or as far as I can tell something like the weaving that is done on the back of chairs)? Is this because the leather has this sort of rough and yet elegant texture that fits together like the cane weaving of chairs?! Sorry, just curious since I found the name rather striking.
    Last edited by BoyChanel; 24th June 2014 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyChanel View Post
    The "Cannage" is in reference to the stunning cane patterns famously used on the Lady Dior handbags hence the perfume's scent being described as the "inside of a leather handbag" I love the House of Dior & its vibrant history.

Exactly.

Like Bottega Veneta's intrecciato.

for swap/sale:

Thanks for this information,this really makes sense--as do the other suggestions too, by the way, why not have a bit of ambiguity and associations in a name?!

Dior, like Chanel & other iconic houses, seeks inspiration from their rich history for fragrance products. I think Dior assumes consumers of this line may be familiar with some of the house & designer's history: Mitzah was Dior's close friend, advisor ,& muse, Granville for Dior's hometown, Milly-la-Forêt is where Dior would go to seek refuge from Paris after a couture presentation, & New Look was created to evoke the revolutionary ultra-feminine debut collection on February 12,1947. There's so much glamour in La Collection Priveé and, as someone who truly admires Christian Dior, it's such an honor to wear these perfumes knowing there's rich history contained within them . So, to answer concisely, the names are all about history at Dior
    Thanks for this information,this really makes sense--as do the other suggestions too, by the way, why not have a bit of ambiguity and associations in a name?!
    Last edited by BoyChanel; 24th June 2014 at 09:51 PM.

Dior, like Chanel & other iconic houses, seeks inspiration from their rich history for fragrance products. I think Dior assumes consumers of this line may be familiar with some of the house & designer's history: Mitzah was Dior's close friend, advisor ,& muse, Granville for Dior's hometown, Milly-la-Forêt is where Dior would go to seek refuge from Paris after a couture presentation, & New Look was created to evoke the revolutionary ultra-feminine debut collection on February 12,1947. There's so much glamour in La Collection Priveé and, as someone who truly admires Christian Dior, it's such an honor to wear these perfumes knowing there's rich history contained within them so, to answer concisely, the names are all about history at Dior
    Thanks again for your post, this really does throw a lot of light on the Collection privée...

My pleasure, doll x The collection has amazing character now, doesn't it?
    Thanks again for your post, this really does throw a lot of light on the Collection privée...

I tried it the other day. Very soft leather/suede scent reminiscent of the leather in SMN Espagne or the type of leather used in Knize 10 without the petro note. I couldn't smell anything more.

Very airy very soft for a leather scent. Wearable but zero originality and rather fleeting.

I would definitely go with Heeley Plene Fleur over this if that is what I was looking for.

Just tried this one today, very nice, but a bit redundant if you own Knize Ten. It opens with an interesting juxtaposed contrast of icy cool and warm, in that it mixes the somber iris of Iris Silver Mist, with the mid phase of Knize Ten, before winding down to what is basically Knize Ten, which has been smoothed out with some supporting spice and that occasionally annoying wet-cardboard carnation note.
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 23rd July 2014 at 10:28 AM.

I haven't even tried it. It's so hard to believe that a great fragrance can still be made that I've lost most of my motivation to even try the new ones. They're mostly disappointing and I'm not expecting much, but I'll try it soon enough. Looking forward to it. Whatever it is, it has to be better than the faintly ridiculous tripe from houses like Slumberhouse. If any of those things are great fragrances then I’m on the next rocket to Mars.
    Last edited by pluran; 23rd July 2014 at 12:31 PM.

pluran on Mars - joking

Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Maybe someday, lpp. I'll take you with me. :-)
    Last edited by pluran; 23rd July 2014 at 12:44 PM.

I've done a couple of drivebys, just a spritz, and I enjoyed it actually - enough to go back and maybe grab one. Dior don't have samples which doesn't help, but it's the only relatively new thing sitting on a counter that has stuck in my mind for months and months.
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Maybe someday, lpp. I'll take you with me. :-)

Yes please , pluran - it may well be cooler up there than the U.K.right now

(sorry for derailing the thread a bit).
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php