Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 6 February, 2014.

Hi everyone - have a super day!

o.22007.jpg

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 6 February, 2014.

Opera this evening (Otello) and I just knew today of all days my meetings would run over. Thank goodness I had the presence of mind this morning grab a few essentials and wear a LBD that goes from office to opera with a quick change of heels, dab of perfume and swipe of red lipstick.

Really looking forward tonights production which features the Cape Town Chorus. The beauty of their collective voices is like a punch to the heart. In loads of Cuir de Russie vintage extrait. Take care everyone experiencing inclement weather, hoping Twolf is okay. Must dash, I’ll catch up with you all later.

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Vintage Mouchoir de Monsieur for today!
    Keep warm!

queen of the universe

Otello! Love it, played it. The bass section brings the bad news in Act IV—I have to love that!

Had a good conversation last night w/my bro, who reminded me to hang cool, do what I love, and stay out of the drama. My son is staying with my daughter, who, urged on by my feckless ex no doubt, is isolating my son from me. My antidote to all this was to pick up new sheet music just arrived from Amazon and work on a Piazzolla tango. Take that!

Up early, still in SOTN L'Heure Bleue, which by the way, is not a bad tango scent. Not wanting to waste Caron Acaciosa on middle-schoolers, SOTD will be loud and proud Amarige.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Oscar by Oscar de la Renta.
    Last edited by kalli; 6th February 2014 at 10:23 AM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. Enjoy your evening Xscent - I guarantee you will be the finest smelling person there

SotD is Bottega Veneta EDP.

Wolfie withdrawal symptoms intensifying .

Hello all. Lolita Lempicka original edp.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone. Shalimar is working its magic on this very cold but thankfully dry morning.

Wish you all a very good day.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Hello all,

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling Parfumerie Generale L'Eau Rare Matale 06 today
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Blog Entries

Hi all,

FrouFrou; your new frames look super-stylish, & you have beautiful hair!

Erin; glad to hear you had an enjoyable night out!

(((jujy)))

Yes, where *is* Wolfie, & Elizrj?

l'm experimenting today with layering Mona di Orio's Cuir with Memoirs of a Trespasser by lmaginary Authors. lt's quite successful, actually; the meaty smokiness of the former is tempered nicely by the boozy, woody vanilla of the latter, & gives it added depth. Nice!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Good afternoon everybody.

Milano Caffé in a sunny day, for a change.

((Jujy)) and eveyone in need
    Last edited by iodine; 6th February 2014 at 03:09 PM.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 6 February, 2014.

Parfum
    d' Habit
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

For those of you in the U.K., what is this lemon curd stuff I have just discovered? It is so yummy. Someone in the store was going on and on about how good it is, so, I got some. Imported from England. Seriously good stuff.

I am wondering about those two as well teardrop, as well as PerfumedLady and Whitefluffy.

I need to test more leather perfumes, hard to find one to really like so far. Cuir de Russie was close but ya, too much leather lol.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Good morning, everyone -

I'm off to see the wee ballerinas in Dior Addict ...a bit of a rich and decadent treat for so early in the day, but I couldn't resist. I might have gotten a bit overzealous with the spraying, though - Tony just said he could smell me comin' and goin'.

Y'all have a wonderful day!

kalli - lemon curd isn't just a UK thing. It's basically what goes into a lemon meringue pie. You can find a million recipes on the internet, but it's made with fresh lemon zest and juice, butter, eggs, and milk or cream - really simple and delicious. My mom and I recently made a *ton* of it with my dad's bumper crop of Meyer lemons ...some "seriously good stuff", you're right about that!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post

If I were to be stuck on the London Eye, I could think of worse persons to be with than Mme. Cotillard
    Aanyway, revisiting a sample of Cartier's L'Heure Mystérieuse today.
    Enjoy Verdi, Xscent.
    Best to all.

Oh, I have never seen it for sale here before but I was thinking it tasted like pie filling. Dior Addict, heard it's being discontinued? I think there was a thread on the male threads.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    If I were to be stuck on the London Eye, I could think of worse persons to be with than Mme. Cotillard
    Oh, so could I, g! I have *such* a crush on her.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Oh, I have never seen it for sale here before but I was thinking it tasted like pie filling. Dior Addict, heard it's being discontinued? I think there was a thread on the male threads.
    You can find it for sale in many specialty/gourmet stores, but it's really best to make it yourself, and it's quite easy, too.

I don't know anything about Addict being discontinued, though I'm not too worried about it - I'm quite sure I have enough!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 6th February 2014 at 12:55 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Lightning post (with hugs to Jujy and anyone else who could use one!), and back to work in Les Nereides Oriental Lumpur. Fortunately the curry note is supporting rather than front and center, so I don't smell like take-out.

Oriental Lumpur notes: Saffron, curry, nutmeg, sandalwood, vanilla, patchouli.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Blog Entries

Kalli, have you tried Cuir Ottoman? lt's leather with a cuddly, sweet & powdery aspect. MdO's Cuir is way too much meaty leather for me on its own; no sweetness whatsoever.

As for lemon curd; it's delish on toast, but *never* try to make a lemon meringue pie with store-bought curd. l tried it once when l was very young, & the curd just melted & leaked out everywhere!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Teardrop, thank ou!

Balmain de Balmain extrait for me today.

Yes, I believe Dior Addict is discontinued. As is Balmain de Balmain. There is a sticky on the general forum.
    I am raking in my savings to buy back-ups
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    For those of you in the U.K., what is this lemon curd stuff I have just discovered? It is so yummy. Someone in the store was going on and on about how good it is, so, I got some. Imported from England. Seriously good stuff.

I am wondering about those two as well teardrop, as well as PerfumedLady and Whitefluffy.

I need to test more leather perfumes, hard to find one to really like so far. Cuir de Russie was close but ya, too much leather lol.
    Kalli, Lemon Curd is easy to make, you don't need to import it from England... I have a funny story about that, actually. Had a party for youngest daughter's birthday last year, and made a remarkably successful homemade cake (from ingredients!) buttermilk vanilla cake with whipped cream and lemon curd filling and buttercream frosting. A dad at the party was appreciating the cake and asked what was the filling, I said "whipped cream and lemon curd" and he gave me a very penetrating stare and said "You made that lemon curd?" very sternly. I said "yes" and he said "Good." like I'd passed some kind of test. It cracked me up, but I think he was bothered by the spectre of a homemade cake being ruined somehow by storebought lemon curd.

Anyway, it's easy to make. Lime curd is great too.

Reglisse Noire for today

O Pour Homme by Lancome

(3874)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I did buy here, the way it sounded, it was like I made a purchase directly from the U.K. lol

Teardrop, nope never tried that one.

Robin, lol! Looks like you passed the test.

Rocky Mountain Wood

Kalli, try A Fleur de Peche by KM. Very nice, soft floral leather. Definitely softer the CdR.

lemon curd = delish!

Off to shower so no scent yet.

Good morning!

Robin
    , that is hilarious!! And that cake sounds absolutely phenomenal. Can you share the source of the recipe? I have never made lemon curd before but it sounds like something I'd like to try. And I love baking, so this cake sounds like something I must try!

(((jujy))) Good for you for doing your best to keep your spirits up.

Seriously, Xscent, could you be any more glam? LBD, red lipstick, heels, and naughty Chanel...rawr! It's so much fun living vicariously through you.

I just got back from a doctor's appointment. I was sitting in the waiting room and this obnoxious man was hassling the receptionist about them not taking American Express and being a general pain in the you-know-where, and this very dissheveled, sweet looking man with a freezer size ziploc bag full of pills (who had had to small talk with the jerk before he was called to the receptionist) made eye contact with me and I rolled my eyes and gave him a conspiratorial grin; he just shook his head and said, "It takes all kinds to make the world go round," and then gave me a knowing grin and eye roll. There's just something about sharing little moments like that with strangers that is so delightful.

In Chanel Beige.

Photo by Mervyn O'Gorman, his daughter Christina, 1913.

Home, kicked off the heels and happy to be catching up with you fragrant bunch

((Jujy)) play on and let the Beast be your therapy. The Act III finale was something to behold, the effect of multiple vocals parts over full chorus over active orchestra was electric.

Jon smelling mighty fine yourself, I must remember to wear Bottega Veneta more often.

The darling ((ErinK)) your sweet words following Quarry’s sweet post had me a little teary. Glad you enjoyed your night out, now do it more often please. Also saw your post on wedding day scent thread, whoever wins your heart will have found one of the best. People come and go and then there will be the one you simply can’t let go.

Thanks G this Verdi is definitely more Wagneresque than Rig, Trav and Trov.

Saminlondon I couldn’t imagine anyone not being nice to you. Glad to hear it’s a rare occurrence and that you have it sussed.

Frou Frou oh la la! LOVE the glasses and the fiery locks (I have tortoiseshell too!). You could rock any scent with those on, very well chosen and thank you for the kind words yesterday (hugs).

Kalli lemon curd + vanilla ice-cream = yumminess and +1 on lime curd too. Have you tried the more ‘polite’ leathers? Some that come to mind are Kelly Calèche (citrusy/ suede leather), Cuir Lancōme (Floral/soft leather), Bottega Veneta (patch/soft suede) or Daim Blond (fruity/spicy/smooth suede).

((ExtremeK)) hoping a week of restful sleep will come eventually. Bois des Îles works terrifically as a sheet scent, I would be getting no sleep if it was M . As for Paris I’ll be that annoying voice that harps on at you until you book your ticket.

Quarry LOL reengineer bras. Oh the humanity! The things we have to go through to support our ‘girls’.

Mike Ding, Ding, Ding! Sounds like you found a winner. Did the date end midnight the next day perhaps? Bravo for getting back out there, my heart is doing a happy dance for you.

One day I’m going to be able to sit through an opera without tears. Verdi’s score and Boito’s libretto weaves powerful magic. More vintage Cuir de Russie for bed tonight, even if sleep eludes me my nose will be in a state of unconscious bliss.

Last edited by Xscent; 6th February 2014 at 02:51 PM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Hello-

It's going to be a Dior Addict day!

Xscent, I have Bottega Veneta, lol, I guess I should resniff it, I don't remember getting too much leather from it. Haven't tried the others.

Alright, I'm fresh and settled on PHI: Une Rose de Kandehar for today.

Mmmm, lemon curd

I'm wearing Galimar by Galimard today. Lovely spicy warmth to go with a cold dank day here.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Basenotes Institution

Thanks everyone for the cute comments on my 'date'. We spoke a whole bunch yesterday (via text messages) and I will most likely see him again this weekend. I'm still getting to know him, which I look forward to doing. In the meantime, it's nice to get the attention. Oh, and one of his favorite scents is The Dreamer by Gianni Versace.

FrouFrou - LOVE the glasses. I have always wanted to own Prada frames. Glad to hear they will be ready quicker than you'd expected.
    Larimar - is vintage MdM a bit different than the 'new' juice I own? What kind of bottle did it come in?
    jujy54 - listen to your brother. Self care is the best antidote to family drama. ((bear hugs))
    I have always wanted to taste lemon curd, and now I think I will buy some next time I see it. I am a sucker for tart/sweet tastes. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water.

I applied a little too much of my sample of:

Kere by Slumberhouse

This morning, at the copier, one of my co-workers (a recent transplant from Paris, France) asked me 'what is that smell!?'. It was me. I wasn't sure if he liked the smell or not, but (like many Slumberhouse scents) it's impossible NOT to smell it.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Twolf, wishing you well!

Xscent, Very clever of you to dress versatile, and I hop you will have a great evening! I love opera.

Mike, Thank you! They happened to be the nicest frames, I think they will be comfortable as well. They also had a very cool Bulgari frame. It does sound as if I am going after ''brands'' but I'm not, I just want a cool frame, and with my coca-bottle lenses there's no use in trying to be subtle about the glasses, they will be noticed.

It suddenly got cold here in Dallas and it's snowing!
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Erin, I am sorry, I bake pretty much like I cook, kamikaze style without a recipe...Basically any vanilla cake recipe, if you substitute buttermilk for the milk, will come out more tender and tasty; the problem I've run into is that they are often too delicate to live, can't be stacked up to make a birthday sort of cake, even if not splitting them. This one, I put an extra egg white or 2 (since the yolks went into the curd) and this stiffened it a wee bit.

I'm a proponent of buttermilk in all sorts of baked goods, LOL, not sure why it works like that but it is magical. And it's self-perpetuating, the culture in storebought buttermilk is sturdy enough that when it gets low, you can just fill the bottle with regular lowfat or skim milk and leave it out overnight, in the morning it will be all buttermilk.

Sorry so off topic! Lemon curd smells amazing

Too womanly for me but it is relaxing.

Oh, a 'what's that smell?' comment huh? That could be good or bad, depending on how it was said. Did you mention it was your perfume, Mike?

Robin, thanks for the buttermilk tip. I only tried to bake a cake from total scratch once, lol, there was a reason it was only once, LOL.
    Last edited by kalli; 6th February 2014 at 04:24 PM.

Blog Entries

​Mazzolari-
    Fleurs D'Oranger
    ​Jasmine, Orange Blossom, White Musk
    Last edited by kumquat; 6th February 2014 at 04:31 PM.

I like lemoncurd too. I will try the buttermilk-in-baked-goods! I can't abide the taste of it to drink, but I will definitely try it. I make almost all my food from scratch.
    I don't think that talking about food is that very far off topic; food and scent are related.
    I discovered these great sherbets, made by somebody local and sold at the Central Market, all from natural flavors, and they are amazing! I keep thinking ''this is something to give to basenoters'', lavender sherbet, Chamomile, lemon verbena, ginger and lime! Like eating frozen perfume almost.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Well, it seems there are building-wide heating issues of the type that spring up when it gets near or below freezing in the south, so all ballet classes have been cancelled for the day. I went for a long run instead, and am now luxuriating in rich, velvety roses, thanks to your tip, ExtremeK, about Laurie's reworked Vintage Rose ...which I can't ever remember the name of so I'm babbling and procrasti ...Rose Volupté, that's it! I'm in Sonoma Scent Studio's opulent Rose Volupté for the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    I discovered these great sherbets, made by somebody local and sold at the Central Market, all from natural flavors, and they are amazing! I keep thinking ''this is something to give to basenoters'', lavender sherbet, Chamomile, lemon verbena, ginger and lime! Like eating frozen perfume almost.
    These sherbets sound incredible, FrouFrou. I make French macarons with flower and herbal essences, and I even modeled one after Guerlain Insolence, with violet and raspberry - sooo tasty, and perfumey! You're right - it's like eating beautiful, delicious perfume. I also love flavoring cocktails with flowers; rose, lavender and orange blossoms are some of my favorites ...and it's hard to beat lemonade infused with French lavender in the summer!

eta - lemon curd is also a very classic macaron filling, and it's *especially* good with a delicate rose-flavored shell.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 6th February 2014 at 05:12 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Joining the lemon curd loveathon - toast it is for me too, teardrop. The best way

FrouFrou, the new glasses suit you perfectly and I imagine many women would give their right arm for such a stunning head of hair.

Erin, echoing Xscent's sentiments - you'll be a special catch when Mr Right arrives. Remember, the best things in life are worth waiting for.

SotE - Geir.

Pleased to hear things went well, Mike. Keep us posted !.

image.jpg

Mike, this is my vintage bottle - a huge 200 ml splash. Yes, it's a bit different, but not much. Judging the topnotes is tricky with a vintage, but the older has a more manly vibe initially (I can't name the note, but it's in Heritage, too). Both are very quiet, the older more longlived, but both need a generous application.

Mouchoir de Monsieur, the new stuff, ce soir!

Sorry, it's this iOS thing of pics being upside down!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Greetings on what has apparently become Lemon Curd Thursday.
    L'Heure Bleue under my red plaid, flannel shirt today.
    Hardly recognized you in the Prada specs and red locks, Frou. Always stylish whatever you wear.
    Hugs to all.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Evening All,

I played around with costus and castoreum earlier and now I smell quite filthy.
    Larimar - you smell incredible today (as every day). I really ought to wear MdM more often.

The screenshot on the right is from the film version of Süskind's Perfume novel.
    Best to all.

Joined the estimable Larimar in Mouchoir de Monsieur today. Golly, the new stuff is filthy. Love it!

Xscent - I'm pleased to hear that Otello hit the spot. I much prefer late Verdi to all the middling rum-ti-tum stuff (Falstaff is my favourite). The more Wagnerian, the better, as far as I'm concerned

queen of the universe

FrouFrou, yes on the glasses. The frames compliment your hair and complexion.

Robin-inFL, I seldom use recipes myself. I love improvising.

double post - this can be deleted...
    Last edited by ErinK; 6th February 2014 at 08:06 PM.

g, I have never read the novel, but don't even get me started on the movie. I had a first date, years ago, who took me to Blockbuster and invited me to pick out the movie rental. He had never seen Perfume and so that's what we rented based on my gushing recommendation. Unfortunately, I think he may have been a wee little bit disturbed by the movie and he never called me again, hehe. I guess, Robin, Perfume is my test. If you don't call me ever again after we watch it on a date, you fail.

(((Jon))) and (((Xscent))) for your sweet little compliments. Thank you for the encouragement and Xscent I should say the same thing right back at you, to the 100th power!

Mike, I literally laughed out loud at your story of your coworker's question about the smell and it being you. So funny!
    Last edited by ErinK; 6th February 2014 at 08:07 PM.

Mike, you should ahve said ''Merveilleux n'est pas?''

Evangeline, I drip some rose water over them lavender sherbet: merveilleuse!

I thought ''Perfume'' (the movie) was very sad. Yeah great that he could make that magic perfume, but those poor girls.. They had a life, and hopes and a future, and he destroyed them. And whoever made the movie didn't care about them. (typical for movies) But nothing is worth those deaths.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Institution

kalli, ErinK and Frou Frou - No, I did not say anything to him. These French, they're not sensitive about their comments about things they do not like. If I'd told him it was me he might've insulted me. I just walked away (probably trailing the scent LOL). On another note, one of my co-worker buddies walked into my office & immediately said 'it smells like maple syrup here!'. I said 'it's me'. He made a silly face. So I said 'F*ck you'. And then he shut up.
    Larimar - thanks. Yes, I'm familiar with that bottle, I have seen them use it for Habit Rouge and Imperiale also. How lovely. That 'note' that you smell also in Heritage, I wonder if it's sandalwood?

I personally loved the novel (and movie) 'Perfume', especially the score and cinematography in the film, which was quite well done. Remember, on BN, when that movie came out and some perfumers made a box-set where they re-created the scents from the movie. For like a crazy amount of $. I think one of the perfumers was Christophe Laudmiel.

Went home for lunch, came back to the office doused in:

Splash Forte by IUNX

My decant is almost gone. Ack!!! I can't afford more of this. LOL
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

I was the recipient of a (somewhat rare) scent compliment from my husband today while wearing Mazzolari-Fleurs D'Oranger. He asked about it twice! Really digging it.

Congratulations! My husband is very stingy with compliments about my perfumes..
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

happy is the bleu heart<3

I'm wearing Gucci Eau de Parfum (the brown juice) today .... mmmmm secksay!

Note to self: check out lemon curd! Sounds yummy.

FrouFrou, LOVE the new glasses! I need new ones and can't decide what I want.

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling YSL L'Homme tonight
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Fancy that, I am sampling MdM this evening as well. It's very interesting indeed!

Shades of bleu, the hubby made photo's of me wearing different frames and I had my friends vote, majority vote, including the hubby were for the Prada!

My SotE ''Knowing'' Estee Lauder. New purchase from Ebay!
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

So after reading this thread, I went and looked up the movie, 'Perfume'. I watched it. I am now, officially creeped out. I should have known better! Not my kind of movie. The concept would have been cool sans all the murdering.

queen of the universe

To bed once again in L'Heure Bleue EdP.