Code of Conduct

Default Samples and things

My first samples are arriving and it's been a mixed bag on a few fronts. From House of Matriarch I ordered 3.3ml atomizers of Blackbird and Coco Blanc, and they messed up the order. I got a 3.3ml of Bohemian Black (smells nice but haven't tried) and 4 1ml samples of Forbidden, Woo, Epiphany, and Coco Blanc. The 4 pack smells like an incense counter right now, they've seriously melded and need some time apart.

I emailed about the mix up, but is there an etiquette to this? I'm leaving the samples alone until I hear from them, but are perfumes typically exchangeable? Some websites say no, but not sure if that's regulatory or just policy. If I'm stuck with what I have I'd like to get to testing basically. I REALLY despise dauber caps though, I always order an atomizer whenever possible.

Also my mens cologne coffret from Creed came. I know, it's stupid to pay for decants, but the Creed rep at the Neiman's closest to me is either flaky or has her own bizarro-world schedule. Driving far for nothing wasn't an option and on the phone I was told only she can do it. They're for my husband but I'll put some on if I like them but I'm a little underwhelmed as of now.

It's freezing and snowy though, maybe once they get to room temperature they'll have more character and substance, as of now it's kind of a watery barely-scent that I'm getting. Also: more dauber caps ><

SLUMBERHOUSE & SSS are next, I'm excited for those 2!

Default Re: Samples and things

If you were not contacted about an alteration to your purchase it should be possible to return them.

This happened to me when an item was out of stock (different vendor to yours) and I didn't bother complaining as it was only one sample in an order of quite a number.

Awesome, thank you I'll leave them pristine for the next person then!

Hope that you end up with what you actually purchased

Banned
    Blog Entries

They should not even take them back..
    Since they messed up you should be able to keep em and they should send yours as well..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    They should not even take them back..
    Since they messed up you should be able to keep em and they should send yours as well..
    l agree!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I agree too, but am also open to sending them back when it comes to an indie house. An established mainstream brand not so much! I got an email today from them saying to keep them, they were very gracious and accommodating. I get to try Bohemian Black now, goodie!

All's well that ends well, pic of email response from HOM. Great service, quick resolution, and MORE samples!

HOM.jpg
    Last edited by Linsul; 6th February 2014 at 07:05 PM.

Blog Entries

That's great news Linsul, & good to see such decent customer service!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Linsul View Post
    I agree too, but am also open to sending them back when it comes to an indie house. An established mainstream brand not so much! I got an email today from them saying to keep them, they were very gracious and accommodating. I get to try Bohemian Black now, goodie!

All's well that ends well, pic of email response from HOM. Great service, quick resolution, and MORE samples!

HOM.jpg

Great! I've only tried their Blackbird, which is awesome, IMO! Let us know your reaction to Bohemian Black and any others your have!

That was very nice of them. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Great! I've only tried their Blackbird, which is awesome, IMO! Let us know your reaction to Bohemian Black and any others your have!
    Looking forward to that one arriving, I think I made a cartoon worthy exaggerated sad face when I saw the 3.3ml was Bohemian Black rather than Blackbird!

I tried Coco Blanc first, and I'm a newbie at this so forgive me, but here's my thoughts! When I uncapped the sample it smelled SHARPLY of alcohol, like a sterilization ready smell. I was scared by that a little but it was totally okay about a minute after application on skin. I dabbed and rubbed my wrists together for this. It's strange, but this one seems like a backwards developer, what I'd ordinarily associate with basenote status was immediately apparent with no argument from the other notes. Spicy and woody, subtle powder effect (noticeable, but subtle) with a subtle creamy vanilla and an underlying sweetness that revealed itself as coconut after about 10 minutes. The coconut and vanilla usurp the wood slowly over time (45min-1hr) for dominance. 2 hours later I understood the gourmand label for Coco Blanc. It's not a cupcake batter gourmand, this is subtle chai spice, dry chocolate shavings, and raw, dry slivers of coconut. There's no "moisture" to it if that makes sense. The creamy aspect almost comes off as a cozy texture of scent rather than liquid richness. Gives it more weight and showcases the subtler gourmand aspects perfectly. The powder aspect fades with time as the gourmand aspects show up to play which I'm thankful for.

The dry down really is unisex imo due to the lack of cloying sweetness and the yummy spice + woody notes. Creamy fades with the dry down to a very polite light musk. If you don't mind a bit of powder at the start I think a man could wear this happily, traditionally "manly" notes are present enough to make it ok if you're on the fence I think. To me this is easily unisex.

It lasted for 4 hours nicely and then I had to reapply, it does sit rather close to the skin on me though and this is one I'd like to project! Upon reapplication I did notice the coconut more immediately. I do lift my wrist to get a whif, I wish it projected more is my only drawback.
    Last edited by Linsul; 6th February 2014 at 10:19 PM.

I got an email today from them saying to keep them, they were very gracious and accommodating.
    They made the right decision. Glad it worked out for you!

(3895)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

SLUMBERHOUSE & SSS are next, I'm excited for those 2!
    You won't be disappointed. I know you'll be getting the sample set of all four from Slumberhouse, but what did you choose from SSS?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    They made the right decision. Glad it worked out for you!

(3895)
    I had a shipping confirmation a couple of hours after the email, very prompt. Going to write them back today and gush thankfulness all over their inbox. Love for Coco Blanc and Epiphany too.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    You won't be disappointed. I know you'll be getting the sample set of all four from Slumberhouse, but what did you choose from SSS?
    I'm very excited about Slumberhouse, their scent profiles for 3 are totally linked to great memories. From SSS: Jour Ensoleillé, Velvet Rose (I LOVE Bergamot and Rose together!), and Fig Tree.

I also tried HoM Epiphany last night. I put it on before going to bed so not the full experience, but I LOVE the opening. Smoke and Lavender, I can't fully describe it. Not incense or campfire smoke, and not a super herbal lavender. Hidcote is on the description and I'm pretty sure that's a culinary variety. It's not super sweet either. Like fresh lavender buds still on the plant. The smoke blends with it very very well, it was a bad one to put on before bed because it was so interesting.

I need Coco Blanc, I really like Epiphany but will need to try it again. I couldn't smell it on me when I woke up at all though so that's worrisome for longevity.

Matriarch's great -- and I knew they'd make good. I'm a huge fan of Blackbird myself, and really appreciate everything that Christi is doing -- even if it's not all to my taste.

One thing to note that you seem to be discovering: they seem to respond differently to different people, but these don't wear like powerhouse scents. Because of the materials she's using (lots of naturals and unusual extractions), some appear much lighter than others and it seems as though they vanish quite fast. That's not always the case, My experience with Blackbird is that you get much of the initial blast (leather, castoreum, seaweed) upfront for the first hour or so, then it dips way down to a quiet level. However, it's very heat-reactive scent and any kind of activity will awaken the musks in pretty crazy ways (I've accidentally foghorned my gym a couple of times now).

Slumberhouse and SSS are a little different in that they lean more on synthetics as structure to their naturals, so you get more of a traditional perfume experience (except in the smell). Blackbird's fantastic, and Christi's a perfumer to keep your eye on alongside Laurie Erickson, Josh Lobb, Antonio Gardoni, Angelo Orazio etc. There are many folks doing very cool things right now to subvert the norm / chart the path ahead.
    Last edited by deadidol; 7th February 2014 at 06:13 PM.

Good for Matriarch!

I wouldn't be so worried if it didn't last overnight, but truth be told, Epiphany was pretty much gone within an hour. I don't need my scents to last forever, but I would've liked this one to have had more time to develop and unfold in greater detail.

Blackbird is an amazing one - hope to hear your thoughts on it soon! Slumberhouse too.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Matriarch's great -- and I knew they'd make good. I'm a huge fan of Blackbird myself, and really appreciate everything that Christi is doing -- even if it's not all to my taste.

One thing to note that you seem to be discovering: they seem to respond differently to different people, but these don't wear like powerhouse scents. Because of the materials she's using (lots of naturals and unusual extractions), some appear much lighter than others and it seems as though they vanish quite fast. That's not always the case, My experience with Blackbird is that you get much of the initial blast (leather, castoreum, seaweed) upfront for the first hour or so, then it dips way down to a quiet level. However, it's very heat-reactive scent and any kind of activity will awaken the musks in pretty crazy ways (I've accidentally foghorned my gym a couple of times now).

Slumberhouse and SSS are a little different in that they lean more on synthetics as structure to their naturals, so you get more of a traditional perfume experience (except in the smell). Blackbird's fantastic, and Christi's a perfumer to keep your eye on alongside Laurie Erickson, Josh Lobb, Antonio Gardoni, Angelo Orazio etc. There are many folks doing very cool things right now to subvert the norm / chart the path ahead.
    Thank you for your HoM insight, I agree with you fully and think I like indie/naturals more than mainstream. My initial "whine" upon coming here was that my perfumes all smell like generic cosmetic counter "noise." Just stopped wearing perfume for years and let the bottles sit. I branched out VERY recently and started layering L'Ombre Dans L'Eau and Philosykos and was happy. Simple, soft, and linear are great in my book as long as they're interesting, and HoM has some winners. Coco Blanc grew on me throughout the day yesterday, it's a must have though as you say they're their own animal being naturals.

I'm not ruling out synthetics fully but I am avoiding the infamous "counter" for now. SSS and Slumberhouse seem really interesting composition wise, and that's the experience I want for now. Really looking forward to them!

Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    Good for Matriarch!

I wouldn't be so worried if it didn't last overnight, but truth be told, Epiphany was pretty much gone within an hour. I don't need my scents to last forever, but I would've liked this one to have had more time to develop and unfold in greater detail.

Blackbird is an amazing one - hope to hear your thoughts on it soon! Slumberhouse too.
    I'll try Epiphany again later, good to know she's a fleeting experience. I'll do it when I'm at home and can reapply liberally, I do think it's a great scent and will enjoy while it lasts!

Blackbird will be here Monday according to tracking, after reading everyones thoughts here I am really excited to get it! I agree that even though they may not all be to my taste it's a worthwhile experience. Will do my best not to foghorn the gym, good lookin out On that note, Bohemian Black: not my taste, but not offensive in the least. I don't think I'm in the incense camp, and I don't get limoncello or the other notes on my skin. Maybe other people will though! There's a lot going on with Bohemian Black but on me it's coming across as straight incense.

My initial "whine" upon coming here was that my perfumes all smell like generic cosmetic counter "noise." Just stopped wearing perfume for years and let the bottles sit.
    This was exactly my experience. For some reason, I thought that what was sold in department stores / sephora constituted the world of fragrance. It was all (and still is) totally uninspiring to me, and so I avoided perfumery for a long time, with the occasional lapse into hippie style oils now and again. Learning that there was an actual world of artistry and a veritable subculture akin to other subcultures that I've been drawn to throughout my life, was incredibly affirming. I still find mass-produced, over the counter stuff to be highly offensive, but that's why such alternatives exist.

I got about a 3rd through my fragrance wardrobe and stopped just because they aren't worth mentioning. Starting over in the artistry and subculture direction

I was going to offer to pass on the 3.3ml Bohemian Black for others to try since it's lovely but not for me but then I got that omnipotent mom feeling. The one when you were a kid and offer to split a treat with a sibling by breaking it in half yourself, keeping the slightly bigger half. Then you notice your mom had been watching through the window the whole time. You know you kept the bigger half, and she does too, but since you offered unbidden she just looks at you disapprovingly and lets it go.

So I'll pass them on all together if anyone wants to try out some House of Matriarch. It was mine by mistake so I'll spread the love to whoever responds here first and lives in the continental us. I'll be done sampling the last 2 by Monday I believe.

Very cool of you. The only one I have is Blackbird so consider my hand up. No guilt, tho. Do what works for you.

Very cool of you. The only one I have is Blackbird so consider my hand up. No guilt, tho. Do what works for you.
    If you're continental US then you got it! Just pm an addy to send it to, I'll get to the post office Monday, very latest Tuesday. I hope you love them, gotta post what you think!

If you're continental US then you got it! Just pm an addy to send it to, I'll get to the post office Monday, very latest Tuesday. I hope you love them, gotta post what you think!
    Certainly will! Would you like to sample either of these -- LUSH, RANI J?

Certainly will! Would you like to sample either of these -- LUSH, RANI J?
    Sure! I'm in total sample mode right now, so I'll leave which one up to you and have it be a surprise

Just a reminder to arrange any swaps, etc., in future by private message, via the Marketplace or the Giveaway threads as there is a constant issue with soliciting which is easier to discourage if we all stick to the rules.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by lpp; 9th February 2014 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Just a reminder to arrange any swaps, etc., in future by private message, via the Marketplace or the Giveaway threads as there is a constant issue with soliciting which is easier to discourage if we all stick to the rules.
    Thank you.
    My apologies, won't happen again!

No worries, Linsul

Linsul, welcome!! How exciting that you are getting into sampling and figuring out what you love, don't love, etc.

I would disagree that it's stupid to pay for decants. I don't mind one bit paying for samples, because even if I don't love the scent, I am learning from it, getting reference points, and so on, which gives value to the expense that I believe is worth paying for. As for large decants, in my opinion, they're a great way to stretch one's perfume budget. Just starting out, I personally advise for purchasing decants and not full bottles, because once you find one fragrance you love, you will soon find 10 more, and unless you're super rich (maybe you are - I'm not) it will get real expensive, real fast. The more samples and decants you acquire, the longer it will take you to drain each one, so by buying decants you can stretch the budget and get multiple scents for the price as one full bottle. *Please forgive me if I misunderstood your statement that it's stupid to pay for decants.*
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    No worries, Linsul
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post
    Linsul, welcome!! How exciting that you are getting into sampling and figuring out what you love, don't love, etc.

I would disagree that it's stupid to pay for decants. I don't mind one bit paying for samples, because even if I don't love the scent, I am learning from it, getting reference points, and so on, which gives value to the expense that I believe is worth paying for. As for large decants, in my opinion, they're a great way to stretch one's perfume budget. Just starting out, I personally advise for purchasing decants and not full bottles, because once you find one fragrance you love, you will soon find 10 more, and unless you're super rich (maybe you are - I'm not) it will get real expensive, real fast. The more samples and decants you acquire, the longer it will take you to drain each one, so by buying decants you can stretch the budget and get multiple scents for the price as one full bottle. *Please forgive me if I misunderstood your statement that it's stupid to pay for decants.*
    Thanks I'm pretty excited too, my poor husband is confused though because of some of the unisex ones. I'm trying to explain the rules of "If you like it, wear it!" but he's firmly old school still. I tried on his Creed Imperial Millesime and LOVED it. I wore it to a party in honor of a gymnastics meet so I figured some precision in scent would be fitting. He liked it on me, and when I told him what it was he was totally confused LOL!

I totally am for paying for samples, I worded that clumsily with no back story. Specifically I meant Creed samples because I've gotten them before. Well, before the reps schedule changed to one that doesn't fit mine at all! I wouldn't typically buy what I can go in person and get at a counter, when I told a friend I'd bought the Creed coffret he almost spit out his drink to laugh at me so it was on the brain. I'm with you though, I like the smaller sizes so I can try more and they are worth it for dollar and scent stretching! I just amended my SSS sample order to include more as a matter of fact. I'm becoming an addict I think.

Also, big moment for me. Was complimented on Imperial Millesime by this lightsaber electric violin player last night. That makes 37489467467865 scents worn and 2 compliments total. I'm gonna get the hang of this scent selection thing I can feel it! Then again, I was trying to read what his instrument/weapon said on the handle, he was likely trying to hide a trade secret.
    WClassic.jpg