Code of Conduct

Default Youngest perfumista?

My 3-year old son has been showing an increasing interest in my perfumes lately. He's clearly a gourmand sort of guy as he was very complimentary ("really nice") about Angel when I wore it for the first time in years the other day (in fact this might have been my first ever unsolicited fragrance compliment). And also said, "I like your perfume, mama" recently when I was wearing Jicky (that's my boy).

I have to say, this is A LOT more than I ever get from my husband.

Today, when a bottle of Lolita Lempicka arrived in the post, my little boy announced that it was the perfume he is going to wear when he is "a grown-up". He asked for a spray on himself, and although I have said in the past that perfumes are for grown-ups only, I thought, "why not?" and gave him a little squirt. He first gave very careful consideration to the placement of the spray (outer forearm) and spent the next hour giving his arm a little sniff every few minutes. His verdict? "Mmmm, yummy". Eat your heart out, Luca Turin.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Youngest perfumista?

Ha ha!! We should put your 3-year old with my 4-year old labrador retriever!! He seems to enjoy many of my fragrances as well. Always, and I mean always, after I spray something on, he comes up and wants to sniff. Some scents he "just" likes and walks away after a sniff or two, others he would like to stay there for couple minutes and sniff my arm over and over. He seems to be enjoying himself, exploring the various scents. Kind of crazy, I know, but... what can you do other than share the love of fragrances with your best bud?

My kind of guy! You've obviously done a stellar job raising him.

Who said that young children can't appreciate a nice smelling fragrance! I see a future fragrance enthusiast in the making.

(3889)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

What's Next?
    Teach him how to cook mommy breakfast!! LOL
    Kids are so cute at that age..

Great story! My two year old daughter is also very much into scents of all sorts. Not only my fragrances, she also wants to also smell the coffee I'm drinking. I have loads of different beans; I'm waiting for the day she learns to discern between them. After that, off to Grasse,

But really, this is quite interesting. I've always had an acute sense of smell and I've always been interested in scents. My mother always tells me stories how I noticed when they tried to eat candies without us kids knowing or whatever. Another example: she used Bocage deodorant when I was very young, when she bought it again two years ago after decades between, I noticed it right away. Could it be genetic in some way, like musicality is?

Interesting thoughts, Johnny_Ludlow - we're products of environment & heredity

Does anyone still collect fragrant petals with their children?
    It's a fun pastime & children often love either drying the petals or trying to make 'flower waters' (or potions!).

p.s. - It's not a great idea to collect petals from outside one's own garden...
    Last edited by lpp; 7th February 2014 at 09:25 AM.

Wow , His nose is gonna be so expanded and experienced by his adulthood , future Jean Claude Ellena in the making....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Why what happened lpp

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Why what happened lpp

Haha - fortunately nothing, hedonist - it's illegal to pick 'wild' flowers over here so the warning was an afterthought to the post in case hordes of people went & denuded the countryside of flowers

Makes sense.

for swap/sale:

I started spraying one spray for my niece & nephew when they were 6 & 4.5 respectively (this was 1.5 yrs back); they have already decided that they will have a collection when they hit 16; even made plans on how to share the wardrobe etc (with me).

And true to the saying "kids say the darnest things" - I asked how they will buy so many - reply comes from my niece "Mama (uncle in my native tongue) - we are kids, we don't go to office or have money or credit card - amma (mother) will buy all of these when my 16th B'Day comes"!!!

As for preferences, my niece loves simple EDC's - her fav so far is Astier de Villatte's Eau Fugace.

Nephew likes the Montale's, Creed's & Maitre Parfumeur stuff - only b'coz I store them separately in another wardrobe.

My 3 year old daughter asks for some of my oud/attar/perfume on her whenever she smells something off me
    She has yet to experience her first spritz but keeps asking. I'm hesitant/cautious because of the chemicals involved.

I rub the back of her hand with mine (I usually apply there). She's even had pure oud oils

And yes, I do count her compliments as valid (don't get any otherwise!).

Quote Originally Posted by cashmerecardi View Post
    My 3-year old son has been showing an increasing interest in my perfumes lately. He's clearly a gourmand sort of guy as he was very complimentary ("really nice") about Angel when I wore it for the first time in years the other day (in fact this might have been my first ever unsolicited fragrance compliment). And also said, "I like your perfume, mama" recently when I was wearing Jicky (that's my boy).

I have to say, this is A LOT more than I ever get from my husband.

Today, when a bottle of Lolita Lempicka arrived in the post, my little boy announced that it was the perfume he is going to wear when he is "a grown-up". He asked for a spray on himself, and although I have said in the past that perfumes are for grown-ups only, I thought, "why not?" and gave him a little squirt. He first gave very careful consideration to the placement of the spray (outer forearm) and spent the next hour giving his arm a little sniff every few minutes. His verdict? "Mmmm, yummy". Eat your heart out, Luca Turin.
    I think I have your son beat, I am afraid. When I was an infant, too young to even walk I am told, I dumped a bottle of my mother's Chanel No. 5 on myself. I ended up covered in hives and had to be taken to the emergency room. My mother caught me holding the bottle to my nose and sniffing. Must have been those aldehydes!

Children are naturally drawn to things that are enjoyable.

As you can see, that childhood experience did nothing to teach me a lesson! I would just say let your child enjoy perfume, but just under supervision. You may indeed have a future perfumisto.
    Last edited by Primrose; 7th February 2014 at 05:10 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I think I have your son beat, I am afraid. When I was an infant, too young to even walk I am told, I dumped a bottle of my mother's Chanel No. 5 on myself. I ended up covered in hives and had to be taken to the emergency room. My mother caught me holding the bottle to my nose and sniffing. Must have been those aldehydes!

As you can see, that childhood experience did nothing to teach me a lesson! I would just say let your child enjoy perfume, but just under supervision. You may indeed have a future perfumisto.
    I always enjoy when you recollect that story.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post

I always enjoy when you recollect that story.

for swap/sale:

That's a great story! Your 3-year-old is very sophisticated. It must be in his genes

My favorite perfume story with my daughter is when she was 5 years old, and we were browsing at Sephora. Of all of the many perfumes we sprayed on cards, she chose Chanel 5. Fast-forward a few years, she is not much into perfume herself (she and her friends care more about dragons and Pokémon), but we discuss the samples I test at home. She even makes her own "perfume" using the rosemary and thyme bushes in the garden.