Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Are We Being Too Easy..

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    For me, only 10% of the stuff out there is worthy of a good review and 5% is Full Bottle Worthy.
    You have 7 reviews. All 7 are positive.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I'd put it at 3% and .3%.
    I see you have 17 reviews. 16 are positive.

I deleted all three hundred or so of my reviews several years ago. Grant apparently wanted to leave a few random reviews up there. I edited a few and added one that was made in 1985. My reviews are totally random. I write very few of them. Most of them are within the community.

As far as my reviews, percentages of good fragrances being made now or whenever, etc: hell, I don't even know what the you're talking about. Doesn't really matter. I see perfume as anything but mechanical, statistical. etc. That stuff, this thread and those like it are as far from what I actually care about as a hawk from the moon.
    Last edited by pluran; 8th February 2014 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Do you feel this is accurate or the fragrance industry is just that good?
    60% of fragrances are Good?
    Is that too high-too low or about right?
    I have wrote over 400 reviews and will post my numbers soon..
    I think the vast majority of fragrances are good. Most are great, and more are excellent than we admit. A fragrance may not appeal to me, but just because I don't like a scent or just because you don't like a scent, that does not mean the scent is bad. It just means I don't like it, or you don't like it. Someone else probably loves it.

The real question here is, what inspires someone to write a review? I usually only bother if a scent thrills me, or if it repulses me. I rarely spend time writing reviews for anything - be it a scent, a piece of tech, a restaurant, or whatever else - just for the heck of it.
    I have a 100ml Gucci Pour Homme 2003 that I'll swap for Reflection Man or De Bachmakov. PM me if interested.

I actually only write perfumes that I like (not on basenotes). So it tends to be positive. I do not see myself spending time analyzing or giving impressions of fragrances that I am not interested, I see it as a waste of time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I think the vast majority of fragrances are good. Most are great, and more are excellent than we admit. A fragrance may not appeal to me, but just because I don't like a scent or just because you don't like a scent, that does not mean the scent is bad. It just means I don't like it, or you don't like it. Someone else probably loves it.

The real question here is, what inspires someone to write a review? I usually only bother if a scent thrills me, or if it repulses me. I rarely spend time writing reviews for anything - be it a scent, a piece of tech, a restaurant, or whatever else - just for the heck of it.
    I tend to agree with this. Fragrances are created, and reach the level of being sold, because they are concoctions that smell good to a significant number of people. But not all.

If I'm in a rush, I may say I like a fragrance, but give me time to elaborate, and I'll give my history with the fragrance. My opinion of a fragrance isn't something upon which I need to reflect or update. It's a series of events and impressions as it weaves in and out of my life. I hated Tokyo by Kenzo because it was weak, unimpressive, and ridiculous. I loved it because it was odd, bizarrely strong in the drydown, and unlike anything else. I respected it enough to buy one last bottle when it went away, so I would never forget it. Do I like it? Do I hate it? I have no clue. My feelings for a fragrance vary by the hour. Should I average by the day, or try to compute the area under the curve? Next to the truth of what it makes me feel, anything I can say about a fragrance is a lie.

I think that may actually be what I love about fragrance. It resists our efforts to turn it into less than it really is.

I love fragrances that make me remember them. The ones that leave an impression of some kind. That's what makes me want to write a review!

Basenotes Plus

Let me give you a researcher's perspective. The problem here seems to be with a lack of potential variability in the scale. When one has a scale with only three options to select, there is very little room do differentiate the actual nuances of responses. In other words, qualitative descriptors that we would normally use to assess quality, such as "one of the best" "excellent" "good" or "slightly better than average" are lumped together within one category. So, one way around the problem would be to create a scale with more variance, such as a five option scale; the descriptors could be debated, but it could be 5-outstanding, 4, very good, 3, good, 2, average, 1, poor, 0, extremely poor. Again, those can be played with, but what we see here in terms of the distribution of scores is common with three point scales.

Basenotes Plus

An interesting idea, RichNTacoma- although it would still be subject to members rating random products as 'outstanding', etc., possibly fairly often.

As others have mentioned - there are some reviewers whose preferences may often coincide with one's own and their reviews will always be sought, along with those who provide the most objective assessments.

Personally, when researching products, there are questions that may occur to me and reading a selection of the reviews here, whilst skipping or scanning others, usually provides sufficient info. to decide whether to sample and form my own opinion.
    The words are more important to me than any rating system could be - whether they are giving an overall impression or a more technical appraisal.

For example - if a number of people mention a particular issue that might detract from a product, it may make sampling less urgent!

I don't think that fragrance can be 'graded' any more than music as the reasons for favouring one piece over another for most of us are so incredibly personal and there is such a huge spectrum to consider.
    Last edited by lpp; 8th February 2014 at 09:24 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RichNTacoma View Post
    Let me give you a researcher's perspective. The problem here seems to be with a lack of potential variability in the scale. When one has a scale with only three options to select, there is very little room do differentiate the actual nuances of responses. In other words, qualitative descriptors that we would normally use to assess quality, such as "one of the best" "excellent" "good" or "slightly better than average" are lumped together within one category. So, one way around the problem would be to create a scale with more variance, such as a five option scale; the descriptors could be debated, but it could be 5-outstanding, 4, very good, 3, good, 2, average, 1, poor, 0, extremely poor. Again, those can be played with, but what we see here in terms of the distribution of scores is common with three point scales.
    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    An interesting idea, RichNTacoma- although it would still be subject to members rating random products as 'outstanding', etc., possibly fairly often.

As others have mentioned - there are some reviewers whose preferences may often coincide with one's own and their reviews will always be sought, along with those who provide the most objective assessments.

Personally, when researching products, there are questions that may occur to me and reading a selection of the reviews here, whilst skipping or scanning others, usually provides sufficient info. to decide whether to sample and form my own opinion.
    The words are more important to me than any rating system could be - whether they are giving an overall impression or a more technical appraisal.

For example - if a number of people mention a particular issue that might detract from a product, it may make sampling less urgent!

I don't think that fragrance can be 'graded' any more than music as the reasons for favouring one piece over another for most of us are so incredibly personal and there is such a huge spectrum to consider.
    Definitely - the words are the most useful to me, too. They are what I actually use to help me decide.

But I also have to say, I do like a 5-point scale. I would wager that most of us here think that way, too ("It's a 5-star scent.") We could probably map our 3-value system to 5-star with some minor tinkering.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post

I think a 1 - 10 scale would be much more useful.
    Agreed - or even 1 - 100. having done a few reviews a 'thumbs up' could apply to a range of frags from 55 -100.
    When considering the vast array of fragrances more stratification would be useful otherwise we simply lump together masterpieces with pleasant efforts.

Blog Entries

I actually prefer the pass/fail system. Should I add this to my collection or not?
    Currently wearing: White Flowers by Creed

Banned
    Blog Entries

Out of curiousity I checked out my numbers

435- Total Reviews
    236 Positive - 54%
    102 Neutral -24%
    97 Negative - 22 %

Very much in line with Basenotes Total Reviews..

Blog Entries

I'm not sure what the difference is between a review that gives a 5-7 out of 10 and a neutral. Still a big question as to whether it is FB worthy.

I like a 1-5 scale, it would be nice. I agree kumquat, it will be too confusing for 1-10 what happens to all scores that will scatter on the middle, 5,6,7, it can get confusing without a statistical graph and graphical representation where most of the scores skew in an assumed bell curve.

Now, regarding full bottle worthy. I feel casual people who will read a review from basenotes, are not thinking of getting decants when buying fragrances, so I think when you put a review as positive that is a recommendation to get the full bottle.

The only scale I've ever found that works for me is Buy, Try, Pass. Numerical scales are all the same. 1 to 5. 1 to 10. 1 to 100. How do I know what a 4, or an 85, really mean to you versus what it means to me? On the other hand "I liked it enough to buy it" has an easy meaning to understand. In a perfect world, reviews here would have an icon to show that the reviewer bought the scent.
    I have a 100ml Gucci Pour Homme 2003 that I'll swap for Reflection Man or De Bachmakov. PM me if interested.

I think you need to keep your purchase decisions separate from a review/rating of a fragrance. If you have a 7-figure income, something that is nice May be a "buy". If you have to rummage through garbage bins to find cans to return for a source of income, you may be a little less trigger happy for a $250 bottle of something. Review the scent, not your finances.

Also, 1-5 is silly when you then have people saying 4.5 / 5. If 1-5 isn't granular enough, use a scale that fits the needs. 1-2-3 sure doesn't,

Clinique Happy and Creed Spice and Wood would both get a thumbs-up from me. But they are by no means equal. Any system that does not allow greater distinction between "good" and "masterpiece" is significantly flawed.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I think that stats on Basenotes can give false impressions as others have said. Some reviewers only write posts about fragrances they like
    This is me. I'd never write a review about a fragrance I didn't like. I only review fragrances I own and I don't buy stuff I don't like. I think people go overboard with their critique of a fragrance it's more about the house or the price than the actual fragrance. So IMO members aren't too easy, if anything they're too harsh. 85% of the stuff out there is pleasant smelling. Would I wear 85% of the fragrances out? Of course not, but that doesn't mean they're "vile" and "disgusting" like some reviewers state.
    Currently wearing: Santal Impérial by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I actually prefer the pass/fail system. Should I add this to my collection or not?
    Just because one rates a fragrance as excellent doesn't mean that they want to add a full bottle the their collection. What I personally choose to wear can differ from what I think is a quality fragrance. For example, Chanel No. 5 (IMO) is an excellent fragrance but I do not want to wear it. A small decant (or sample) is enough for me--a full bottle is not necessary . Personal taste can be separated (to an extent) from the assessment of the composition.
    Currently wearing: Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gmstrack View Post
    Just because one rates a fragrance as excellent doesn't mean that they want to add a full bottle the their collection. What I personally choose to wear can differ from what I think is a quality fragrance. For example, Chanel No. 5 (IMO) is an excellent fragrance but I do not want to wear it. A small decant (or sample) is enough for me--a full bottle is not necessary . Personal taste can be separated (to an extent) from the assessment of the composition.
    Of course you don't HAVE to get a full bottle. It's just that a yeah/nay system with a neutral for those who are undecided works well for me, personally. I don't feel there would be anything to be gained by splicing the decision quotient into tinier pieces. That's all I'm saying.

As far as the reviews being too soft, I could pull up loads that are negative regarding some of my personal favorites. I haven't noticed any bias at all. Some like some things, and some really don't.
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th February 2014 at 06:35 PM.

It may have been mentioned before on this thread, but still repeating it since it largely sums up my opinion: perhaps it has to d with the fact that this community is made up largely or almost entirely by fragrance enthusiasts, thus it is highly likely that

a) they are more favorable to fragrances in general
    b) they first tend to review the favorites or, at any rate, the fragrances that they are passionate or at least interested about, thus higher likeliness of more generous ratings.

Of course you don't HAVE to get a full bottle. It's just that a yeah/nay system with a neutral for those who are undecided works well for me, personally. I don't feel there would be anything to be gained by splicing the decision quotient into tinier pieces. That's all I'm saying.
    Fair enough--I prefer the sliding scale, but you do make a good point when you question whether or not it is actually superior to the YES/NO/MAYBE system. I wonder if there is any published material on the subject.
    Currently wearing: Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

Like others have mentioned, I rate fragrances from 1 to 10. Being FBW is another story. There are a lot of fragrances I may give a 7 or 8, but doesn't mean I would purchase a full bottle of that fragrance. It's all a matter of taste and opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Like others have mentioned, I rate fragrances from 1 to 10. Being FBW is another story. There are a lot of fragrances I may give a 7 or 8, but doesn't mean I would purchase a full bottle of that fragrance. It's all a matter of taste and opinion.
    So that's a definite maybe. I would still like to hear you discus your opinion about the notes you perceive and their progression. And I also see the need for more accurate and inclusive NOTE information on ALL scents in the directory. That's where I see a need for improvement. I think it would be fine if you want to add your personal grade of a 7-8 out of 10 in your review. I just don't see why we'd want to change the system that's currently in place. I for one, like to glance and see the three colors showing me right away which reviews are which.

I do this on some of my reviews. All depends on the fragrance. Some fragrances are more interesting than others to discuss notes and their progression. Others are not IMO. I totally agree with you about system that is used now with the colors showing the amount of thumbs up, neutral and thumbs down ratings.
    So that's a definite maybe. I would still like to hear you discus your opinion about the notes you perceive and their progression. And I also see the need for more accurate and inclusive NOTE information on ALL scents in the directory. That's where I see a need for improvement. I think it would be fine if you want to add your personal grade of a 7-8 out of 10 in your review. I just don't see why we'd want to change the system that's currently in place. I for one, like to glance and see the three colors showing me right away which reviews are which.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 10th February 2014 at 03:20 PM.

In my humble opinion all reviews, whether long stories about notes and progression or point / scale ratings, are more a reflection of the reviewer and his/her tastes. I find it most helpful to read as many reviews on a scent I'm considering to test/buy. With most, common themes arise.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri