Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Your Favourite Discontinued Sleeper ???

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • ARPEGE POUR HOMME - Lanvin

4 7.55%
  • BY MAN - Dolce & Gabbana

8 15.09%
  • CASUAL FRIDAY - Escada

2 3.77%
  • DEEP FOREST - Bogner

1 1.89%
  • EBENE - Balmain

2 3.77%
  • FURYO - Jacques Bogart

1 1.89%
  • GFF UOMO - Gianfranco Ferre

1 1.89%
  • GENGIS KHAN - Marc de la Morandiere

7 13.21%
  • IL - Lancetti

0 0%
  • JOINT - Roccobarocco

1 1.89%
  • KIPLING - Weil

0 0%
  • LANCETTI UOMO

0 0%
  • L'UOMO - Trussardi

0 0%
  • MACASSAR - Rochas

5 9.43%
  • MONSIEUR GRES

1 1.89%
  • NINO CERUTTI

3 5.66%
  • NOBILE - Gucci

10 18.87%
  • PHILEAS - Nina Ricci

6 11.32%
  • THEOREMA UOMO - Fendi

1 1.89%
  • WHAT ABOUT ADAM - Joop!

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Discontinued Sleepers With Cult Status - Your Votes and Comments !

I have deliberately omitted certain highly popular discontinued fragrances such as Envy for Men, Gucci pour Homme, Patou pour Homme etc. - in order to give these lesser known fragrances a chance to compete against each other.
    If you feel there is a discontinued "sleeper" missing from the list please mention it and if possible include a description.
    Thanks for your help !
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Default Re: Discontinued Sleepers With Cult Status - Your Votes and Comments !

M7 is really the only one that matters to me. I went a little overboard on backups, but at least I'll never run out!

To answer your question though:

Davidoff Good Life and Armani Attitude

Lagerfeld Jako as well.

Charles Revson Braggi. From what I understand, Charles Revson was the founder of "Revlon", and Braggi was one of his earliest creations. Long discontinued, then revived with a reformulation not true to the original.

Cristobal Pour Homme

Basala by Shiseido (now seems to be commanding high prices)

(3915)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ultrared by Paco Rabanne
    It took me a year to find but now I have 2 bottles..
    My favorite fruity/floral..

Also Domenico Caraceni 1913 another great floral..

Last edited by easyfish; 7th February 2014 at 03:56 PM.

Sound Scents

From your list, I voted Nobile which is a truly excellent offering from Gucci (my favorite from the house, come to think of it) that costs an arm and a leg to acquire nowadays...

Mine that is not on the list is the great vintage version of Captain by Molyneux (frequently called Captain Molyneux). A mandatory sniff for anyone who enjoys well-implemented oak moss, as this one is *loaded* with it.
    Last edited by drseid; 7th February 2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacr (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Priv (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

A lot of basenoters like Carven pour Homme.

Nobile, but also Joint, What About Adam, Trussardi Uomo, Theorema Uomo are among my favorites. Additional suggestions: perhaps Davidoff Relax, Roccobarocco Jeans and Spazio Krizia among others.

Except for Furyo (which is a masterpiece), of which I own the vintage & the new version of Marc de la Morandiere's Genghis Khan, I am looking for pretty much all others from your list - my vote went to Macassar.

These are worth looking for as well - for any vintage lover...
    Guerlain Derby (eagle bottle version) & so many other Guerlain's...Can't list all here.
    Dior Jules (vintage - which I'm searching frantically for)
    Caron Tabac Blond (obviously everyone on basenotes is searching for this)
    Helmut Lang Cuiron (same as the above - everyone & their family looking for this)
    Versailles PH
    Snuff de Schiapparelli (original bottle with pipe on top)
    Monsieur de Givenchy Haute Concentration version.
    Lancome Balafre
    Drseid's mentioned this already - Captain Molyneux vintage version
    Nina Ricci Phileas & Signoricci 1 & 2
    Chanel Pour Monsieur vintage (which I'm lucky to own).
    Helmut Lang edp & edc (proud owner shortly - thx to hedonist222)
    YSL PH Haute Concentration.
    Eau Sauvage extreme (strictly the vintage version - not the new version)

My favorites that have been discontinued are Creed Royal English Leather and Creed Royal Scottish Lavender.

Also, Polo Modern Reserve...

while I have not tried many from your list, I like Gengis Khan - however, it isn't really discontinued, since I just bought a bottle 2 months ago from MDMs website. However, I guess that may be a temporary re-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

(3915)
    Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    A lot of basenoters like Carven pour Homme.
    All great ones. I'll add C&E Extract of Mysore Sandalwood and Creed's Bois de Santal, two of the best sandalwood scents I have encountered.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your favourites.
    Unfortunately I could only list a maximum of twenty fragrances, so a lot got left out. I wanted to add Background, Punjab, Balafre, Maxims pour Homme. Ocean Rain....and many others. I did think about splitting it into two polls, but then I would have had to do a third poll afterwards to select between the winners of the first two polls. All very complicated so I stuck to the ones I have listed. Please include one's not on the list. Keep them coming in...I will somehow try to count them as votes at the end of the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Thanks to everyone for sharing your favourites.
    Unfortunately I could only list a maximum of twenty fragrances, so a lot got left out. I wanted to add Background, Punjab, Balafre, Maxims pour Homme. Ocean Rain....and many others. I did think about splitting it into two polls, but then I would have had to do a third poll afterwards to select between the winners of the first two polls. All very complicated so I stuck to the ones I have listed. Please include one's not on the list. Keep them coming in...I will somehow try to count them as votes at the end of the poll.
    Yes, Background is another lovely one. Talking of Jil Sander, Man Absolute is another gem. Richard James EdT is an unusual spicy/floral/leather which deserves a listing too.

There are sellers holding out for ridiculous prices. $399 for a 100ml bottle of EdT? That's just nuts. But they keep relisting them hoping some wealthy impatient person will snap it up. There have been a few $239 examples sold as of late. In December I got a partially used 100ml EdT for $130 with a slightly chipped bottle, so better deals are out there. But back in October there were full 100ml bottles selling for $99. I've seen a number of discontinued fragrances experience a good 30~80% spike in resale prices over the past several months. Don't know why it's now (just as I developed a keen interest in them, as luck would have it).

L'Occitane Eau des 4 Voleurs is magnificent.
    Lalique Equus is pretty nice.

Balenciaga Pour Homme - Simply Amazing.
    +1 Carven Homme - Very nice indeed and reminds me of Floris Santal.
    +1 Jil Sander Absolute - Very beautiful Vanilla & Citrus ( Thanks for the sample Marais)

Givenchy Insense is not exactly a sleeper, but I prefer it to the ones in the poll (though I like Kipling as well)

cacio

Gucci Nobile, Rush, and PH1
    DG: By Man
    Polo: Crest
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Hi David,

Very nice thread!

From your list I voted Nobile (my wedding scent), and I own quite all of them.

But mine that is not on the list is this wonderful masterpiece,

Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men V.I.P. Special Reserve

Last edited by mdclx; 7th February 2014 at 06:52 PM.

Nobile gets my vote.

Another one I've discovered recently: That Man by Revlon. Great vintage fragrance, can be found online at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    There are sellers holding out for ridiculous prices. $399 for a 100ml bottle of EdT? That's just nuts. But they keep relisting them hoping some wealthy impatient person will snap it up. There have been a few $239 examples sold as of late. In December I got a partially used 100ml EdT for $130 with a slightly chipped bottle, so better deals are out there. But back in October there were full 100ml bottles selling for $99. I've seen a number of discontinued fragrances experience a good 30~80% spike in resale prices over the past several months. Don't know why it's now (just as I developed a keen interest in them, as luck would have it).
    I thought this one had been re-released a few years back ? The bottle looked completely different, but the fragrance seemed to be fairly true to the original. Perhaps it was given a different name, but I remember a sales assistant showing it to me.
    .....sorry I think I may have confused this fragrance with Feminite du Bois ?
    Last edited by david; 7th February 2014 at 09:48 PM.

Hai Karate!

Nobile is a long time favorite of mine. The prices are unbelievable these days.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Of the ones not yet mentioned, I'd like to add Ungaro I & II.

I only had to read as far down as By Man by Dolce & Gabbana. There's nothing else in the galaxy that touches it IMO.

There are many others I could not include. Amongst them Lanvin for Men.
    Thanks everyone for contributing.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Forgot to add
    Escada Pour Homme
    Escada Magnetism

Basenotes Plus

Hyssop by L'Occitane

Theorema Uomo among many fine scents listed and many more not included.

Gucci Nobile was an easy choice, however, with respect, I don't really think that Gucci Nobile qualifies as a "sleeper".
    Most Gucci bashing threads (of which there are many), make fond reference to Gucci Nobile, so it has never been forgotten.

Helmut Lang Cuiron was discontinued some time ago. It was a Basenotes darling for a long time thereafter.
    I've noticed very few references to Cuiron in recent times, so perhaps it now qualifies as a "sleeper"... but even this is questionable...

Basenotes Plus

Voted Gucci Nobile... I'm glad I have a big bottle of it in my collection.

Nino Cerruti (1979)

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    I only had to read as far down as By Man by Dolce & Gabbana. There's nothing else in the galaxy that touches it IMO.
    Yes BY from D&G. I loved that one. That was my favorite till the stopped making it. You can actually still buy it but the price has skyrocketed from the $80 I use to pay. I have seen it sold for as much as $700.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Michael ♌

Nice thread! Voted Macassar.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

L'Eau Bleue d'Issey Pour Homme. This has satisfied my rosemary cravings. It's really a unique fragrance that's not like anything I've smelled from a designer and can be found pretty cheap on the discount sites.

A lot of rosemary and cypress in the opening, maybe too much for some but the patchouli and wood really smooths out and grounds this fragrance on the dry down, I just love it! A lot of people say this is more of a green fragrance than bleu, but I definitely get the bleu vibe and there is sort of a 'wet' accord overall to my nose. I have a 150 ml bottle and will definitely buy a backup before this becomes hard to find. Awesome stuff.

BTW, I have the Eau Fraiche version as well which is similar with more of an aquatic, minty vibe and not nearly as herbal in the opening.

Unfortunately threads like this fuel ignoramus prices.

for swap/sale:

(3915)
    Hednic, I thought Gengis Khan was in your top 5 of all time though? I saw it listed above. I might be confusing your top 5 with someone else's.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Chiron and Blend 30 get my vote!

I do find it kind of odd that if Gucci Nobile is on the list, that vintage Hermes Bel Ami is left off... Because the current reformulation is easily obtained but the older one commands serious $$ if you buy it outright (not wait for bidding competition on low starting price auction).

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Well, yeah... assuming that sellers search around to see what's being said about a fragrance they're about to auction, as I've seen some place ridiculously astronomical starting prices for auctions/BIN. And then of course there's spreading awareness among newer fragrance aficionados. That's why I try to say as little as possible about certain fragrances that are in my top 5. Even if I've got a enough back-up bottles for doomsday, there's the COURTESY to others who have been well aware of them and are still trying to get a few back-ups as well. Then there's the kind of person who, when a highly sought after fragrance is brought up in topic chime in with "Yeah, it's terrific--best fragrance ever. You should own it if you're fortuitous to find it. I'm glad I've got a case in reserve that I bought before it became so sought after (i.e. got it cheap), so I'll never run out." <--Yeah, nice for you. Want a medal for it?
    Last edited by cytherian; 8th February 2014 at 04:34 PM.

MACASSAR - Rochas , NOBILE - Gucci , PHILEAS - Nina Ricci get my votes.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

From the list I choose Phileas , but the one I enjoy very much and it's not in your list is AD Plus by Alain Delon

Vintage Nicole Miller For Men. Was a definite keeper.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    Gucci Nobile was an easy choice, however, with respect, I don't really think that Gucci Nobile qualifies as a "sleeper".
    Most Gucci bashing threads (of which there are many), make fond reference to Gucci Nobile, so it has never been forgotten.

Helmut Lang Cuiron was discontinued some time ago. It was a Basenotes darling for a long time thereafter.
    I've noticed very few references to Cuiron in recent times, so perhaps it now qualifies as a "sleeper"... but even this is questionable...
    I agree with you totally !....perhaps I should have left Nobile off the list, and likewise By Man. I also agree with your views on Cuiron. It is difficult to find the line between sleeper cult and "cult" cult.
    Personally, I was in real doubt about Ebene fom Balmain. If anything I would have classed this perfume as the ultimate cult fragrance.....but I was the only one to vote !!! I think times change and with it, perfumes too. When I joined basenotes in 2006 (?)...Furyo was "the" cult frangrance. Today it is hardly mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    hedonist222, this is not my intention ! I am genuinely interested to see basenoters views on these fragrances. As you can see from my wardrobe I have none of these offered for sale or swap.

Well, yeah... assuming that sellers search around to see what's being said about a fragrance they're about to auction, as I've seen some place ridiculously astronomical starting prices for auctions/BIN. And then of course there's spreading awareness among newer fragrance aficionados. That's why I try to say as little as possible about certain fragrances that are in my top 5. Even if I've got a enough back-up bottles for doomsday, there's the COURTESY to others who have been well aware of them and are still trying to get a few back-ups as well. Then there's the kind of person who, when a highly sought after fragrance is brought up in topic chime in with "Yeah, it's terrific--best fragrance ever. You should own it if you're fortuitous to find it. I'm glad I've got a case in reserve that I bought before it became so sought after (i.e. got it cheap), so I'll never run out." <--Yeah, nice for you. Want a medal for it?
    Personally, I am shocked by your attitude...and greed !!! I would certainly not be one to brag about how many perfumes I bought before they became sought after. I am indebted to basenotes members for their help and advice regarding my particular taste in fragrances. Through their help I got to know many frgrances which are now my top fragrances. I could not have achieved this without their help. We should advise one another and not keep secrets.
    You are the sort of arrogant basenotes member we do not need.

Personally, I am shocked by your attitude...and greed !!! I would certainly not be one to brag about how many perfumes I bought before they became sought after. I am indebted to basenotes members for their help and advice regarding my particular taste in fragrances. Through their help I got to know many frgrances which are now my top fragrances. I could not have achieved this without their help. We should advise one another and not keep secrets.
    You are the sort of arrogant basenotes member we do not need.
    David, you totally got the wrong intention from my post. I wasn't point out you in particular for bragging about fragrances you have. I was just making a general statement about people who do. My greed? I don't hoard nor brag about owning fragrances. I buy enough for my own purposes.

David, you totally got the wrong intention from my post. I wasn't point out you in particular for bragging about fragrances you have. I was just making a general statement about people who do. My greed? I don't hoard nor brag about owning fragrances. I buy enough for my own purposes.
    I do apologise to you - I misunderstood your post. I think we should all help and advise each other and not keep secrets. This should be the spirit of basenotes. At the end of the day we are a very small number and our enthusiasm will not drive up prices that much. I truly believe this.

Thanks, I'm glad we made peace. I absolutely agree about helping and advising each other. I also think we should be humble about our collections as well. If someone does inquire about certain fragrance characteristics and it's a rare fragrance that matches, I am more than happy to share the information. But I also refrain from trumping up a fragrance more than it is due. I have seen some do that. "It's ultra rare and you'll probably never find it. I'm just glad I stocked up when I did." Maybe I've read too many of those.

This one still remains a favorite of mine.

nd.4195.jpg

Blog Entries

I do apologise to you - I misunderstood your post. I think we should all help and advise each other and not keep secrets. This should be the spirit of basenotes. At the end of the day we are a very small number and our enthusiasm will not drive up prices that much. I truly believe this.
    Thanks, I'm glad we made peace. I absolutely agree about helping and advising each other. I also think we should be humble about our collections as well. If someone does inquire about certain fragrance characteristics and it's a rare fragrance that matches, I am more than happy to share the information. But I also refrain from trumping up a fragrance more than it is due. I have seen some do that. "It's ultra rare and you'll probably never find it. I'm just glad I stocked up when I did." Maybe I've read too many of those.
    Agree with you both. We need to have a spirit of sharing true information about fragrances here. Not to bump up or deflate prices, but just so we know what's going on. I personally like to warn people when things look discontinued but are still floating around on the market. That way all my fellow BNers and BN lurkers can get out there and buy a fave before it goes away!!!

...and this, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Also, Polo Modern Reserve...

From the list, I'd say Arpege pH. But there are so many other discontinued gems with large followings, like Gucci Envy.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    From the list, I'd say Arpege pH. But there are so many other discontinued gems with large followings, like Gucci Envy.
    I deliberately omitted Gucci Envy, Gucci pour Homme and Patou pour Homme because they already had attained a huge cult status. I should have also left off By Man and Gucci Nobile, because they too have attained that sort of status.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Agree with you both. We need to have a spirit of sharing true information about fragrances here. Not to bump up or deflate prices, but just so we know what's going on. I personally like to warn people when things look discontinued but are still floating around on the market. That way all my fellow BNers and BN lurkers can get out there and buy a fave before it goes away!!!
    I am extremely grateful for any warning regarding discontinued fragrances.
    Thanks Red for your recent contributions to the discontinueds sticky. Much appreciated !!

Basenotes Plus

By Man is the only one I liked enough to purchase more than one back-up, so that easily gets the vote. Also own and enjoy Arpege and Deep Forest.

I am really astonished by this poll that Ebene from Balmain is not getting more votes, especially when you read the ecstatic reviews for it on all the perfume websites.

I am really astonished by this poll that Ebene from Balmain is not getting more votes, especially when you read the ecstatic reviews for it on all the perfume websites.
    The dilemma is that there are so many excellent ones on the list. It's tough to just pick one, but Ebene is indeed a great scent.

(4001)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.