Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oc8EZcvGG8

Default Re: Fragrance references in fiction books or films

References to fragrance are everywhere but I never was consciously looking for them before. In every book I've read since joining BN there's been a mention. In fact, the last book I read called The Last Secret of the Temple by Paul Sussman, part of the plot rested on one of the main characters remembering the scent of a men's cologne. In the book Angelology, which I read around December, one of the main characters wore Shalimar (part of the book flashed back to the 40's)

I'm currently reading The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker and I'll be surprised if there isn't a mention of some type of fragrance.
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis

Great Throbbing Member

I came across two appearances of Brut in Seinfeld season 6. In The Face Painter, George splashes it on his face. In another episode, it was Cosmo (it might have been in The Fusilli Jerry but my memory is hazy as I fell asleep toward the end, if you'll pardon the pun).
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence

I nicked this from the other (unmentionable) website

'I remember Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby saying that she was wearing Detchema'

It's by Revillon

In John Grisham's The Pelican Brief, Darby Shaw remembers the Grey Flannel her father used when she smells her boyfriend's cologne.

In Robert Ludlum's The Prometheus Deception, Bryson uses Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet to reinforce the image of a midlevel civil servant as he attempts to enter the Parliament building without raising suspicion.

Dunno if this has been mentioned yet but Workaholics mention Cool Water in the latest episode, Adam was rubbing his body all over a co-worker (who was wearing it) so that he could smell like it as well (you'd have to see it). Also, Always Sunny in Philadelphia have mentioned Drakkar Noir in several episodes.

After having just watched an episode of the French TV series "Clash" (2012), just noticed a brief cameo of a Eau d'Orange Verte bottle (for some reason, this particular fragrance bottle seems to increasingly popular and/or frequently sighted in both fictional and nonfictional broadcasts as of lately, even in non/fragrance commercials).

The scene/moment of this fragrance sighting: one of the male characters was preparing for spending an evening- although for work-related reasons- at the Paris opera.
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

In an episode of Miami Vice, Sonny Crockett puts on some Patou Pour Homme.

Rebecca buys a big bottle of Samsara in Confessions of a Shopaholic.
    In her bottled up is a woman peppery as curry,
    a yam of a woman of butter and brass,
    compounded of acid and sweet like a pineapple,
    like a handgrenade set to explode,
    like goldenrod ready to bloom.

—from "The Woman in the Ordinary" by Marge Piercy

The 1996 comedy "The Associate", starring Whoopi Goldberg in the lead role, has a quite extensive scene shot in the restroom of the restaurant within a fancy NY hotel (presumably the Plaza) with lots of fragrance bottles, sprays and other masculine toiletries by classic, barbershops-style brands like Brut and Pinaud Clubman lined up on and above the washstands.

Basenotes Plus

Polly in the Cazalet Chronicles wears Cuir de Russie. Calypso in The Camomile Lawn wears Mitsouko. And when Linda goes to help in the refugee camp in Pursuit of Love, one of the breezy young men in charge says: 'What delicious scent you have, Après L'Ondée? I thought so.'
    Currently wearing: Sycomore (new) by Chanel

In the French Film "The son of the other" (2012) an Amarige bottle is quite visible at some point during a bedroom scene

Fk now I really want to try the Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme of American Psycho...

Watching a nearly forgotten and extremely obscure film from my country, released in 1967, was surprised to see that the iconic "hundstooth bottle" of Miss Dior was present on many more dressing tables than expected

In a Dutch TV movie "Jongens" at about 8 minutes in, two guys go into a fragrance shop looking to buy a gift for one of the boy's father and there is a large shelf filled with Maurer & Wirtz Tabac.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

In 1987 US movie "Someone to watch over me" with 80th stars Mimi Rogers and Tom Berenger, a scene on Rogers film set bedroom
    is shown a large number of Penhaligon's fragrance flacons.

Basenotes Plus

IIn the British TV drama series Mr. Selfridge three sales counters are shown.
    All three abundantly stocked each with flacons of Penhaligon's, 4711 Original Eau de Cologne
    and different Guerlain fragrances.

Not sure if it has been already mentioned, but "the bone collector" portrayed by Jeffrey Deaver wears Brut.

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Niche, vintage & discontinued stuff - Creed Royal English Leather in!> Sale thread & Swap thread

In the film adaptation of the Beigbeder novel "99 francs" the main character humorously (and deliberately anachronistic/quirky) describes his superior, one of the most successful, influential and highest paid French (fictional) advertising executives in the following way:

"His favorite clothing brand was Hugo Boss, favorite fragrance brand: Hugo Boss, favorite poet: Hugo Boss"
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 11th December 2015 at 01:43 PM.

Jean Rhys, Good Morning, Midnight (1939).
    About a Parisian shop where the narrator worked:
    "There was a very strong smell of scent. I would pretend that I could recognise the various scents. Today it's L'Heure Bleue; yesterday it was Nuits de Chine ​(sic.)...".

In one scene of the novel "Modern Style" (1984) by Irene Frain- also one of my favorite novels incidentally- set in Belle Epoque Paris, one supporting character (possibly minor spoilers) engages in some dangerous, risky behavior by trying to overdose on a bottle of Guerlain, unfortunately not specified more precisely, while spending the evening in a luxury restaurant.

Since it was more of "cry for help" rather than any seriously self-harming behavior, the respective character survives quite effortlessly and with no major health concerns.

In the Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, one of the characters wear Varon Dandy to impress a woman he has fallen for.
    Striving still to Truth unknown
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

Quote Originally Posted by 勝美! View Post
    At the Lucien Lelong counter, it seems--Indescret and his standard EdT bottles.

In the 1899 novel "The promised land" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Promised_Land) written by the 1924 Nobel Prize laureate for literature W. Reymont, one of the supporting characters is described to wear a fragrance consisting of "ambergris and violettes de Perse mixed with roses", so strong, that the smell filled up an entire luxuriously and exotically decorated late 1800s style boudoir.

Interestingly, the main character, an ambitious, but also rather dandified, rakish and womanizing young engineer of aristocratic origins, with a lifelong dream to become an industry tycoon, despises and avoids perfume, so whenever his fiancee senses a slight trace of perfume on him, her usual suspicions about him are largely confirmed.

I recently re-watched the 1969 James Bond film, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, adapted from the 1963 book. One of my favorites, I always remember that Tracy, who becomes Bond’s wife, is described as wearing Ode: “But the girl reached up a swift hand that smelt of Guerlain's Ode and put it across his lips. "I said 'no conversation'. Take off those clothes. Make love to me.” Later in the book, he notes that a parka she has been wearing still smells of Ode.
    This makes perfect sense to me, as Tracy is a modern, stylish, jet-setting woman and at the time of the book’s publication, Ode, which was launched in 1955, was still a new offering from the Guerlain stable: their latest scent until the launch of Chant d’Aromes in 1962, by which time the book was already written (Fleming wrote it while in Jamaica for the filming of “Dr. No,” which was released in 1962).
    What I hadn’t remembered is that in the film of OHMSS, Tracy’s signature scent is changed to L’Heure Bleue—Bond even comments that it might be a little “heavy.” So why, I wonder, would the writers, Richard Maibaum (screenplay) and Simon Raven (additional dialogue), change her scent from a current, modern perfume—actually noted by the author--to a well-known classic from 1912, created decades before Tracy was even born? In 1969, L’Heure Bleue would have been a famous name and well known to movie-goers, but then, so would Ode have been, at least compared to its obscurity in today’s public awareness. If they had wanted to update the scent to reflect the 1969 film release date, why go with an older perfume? And one that might be too “heavy” (matronly?) for the young and beautiful Tracy? That said, I can totally see a young Diana Rigg wearing L’Heaure Blue, but that is beside the point….

In the very little known Moroccan short film "Houkak" (2014) managed to sight a few assorted Yves Rocher cosmetics and fragrances during an accordingly brief bathroom seen, however given their extremely minimal appearance, did not manage to identify them more closely nor use/activate the still button of my TV just in time

From John le Carré's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy:

p.24 'As Martindale drew closer, Smiley caught the odour of one of Trumper's most sensitive creations'.

p.206 'It wasn't his coat she wanted to kiss. Yielding to it, Guillam inhaled the joint pleasures of Je Reviens​ and a high concentration of inexpensive sherry'.

Even if it may have been posted here before, in one of the two recent biopics about Yves Saint Laurent, the film details, among other plot lines, the comparatively difficult and lengthy initial struggle to introduce the fragrance Opium on the American market, via a pharmaceutical and cosmetics company with very staunch and rigid principles as sole distributor