Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Default Re: Fragrance references in fiction books or films

This is more of a TV reference, and possibly only recognisable to UK viewers but there is a mention of fragrance in the recent BBC show The Detectorists. Andy and Sophie suspect Lance is off on the first date in about a decade, and decide to tail him into the supermarket.......

"She saw him in the supermarket buying all the materials required to make a romantic evening.""
    "Oh, God, he must have got the instructions off the internet."
    "I've got to wash my hands. What was he buying?"
    "Flowers, chocolates, aftershave"
    "What kind?"
    "Freesias, Ferrero Rocher, Fahrenheit."
    "Christ....".

A selection of various Chanel and Guerlain fragrances appears more or less in the background during a bathroom scene of the French film "Rive droite, rive gauche"
    Currently wearing: G. Bellini X-Bolt by Lidl

Netflix's newest series, The Crown. One of the episodes showed four fragrances. One Floris, one I couldn't make out, and two Penhaligon's.
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

In 2014 French comedy "Amour sur place ou a emporter" two broke and rather down on their luck, but otherwise likable male friends go to a supermarket and spray on some Brut directly from the deodorant bottle without buying it, before meeting their respective dates later that evening, stating that: "No woman can resist the smell of Brut".

What a bathroom! Dear God, talk about 'is 'alls were made of marble! And towels an inch thick! And bags of water steaming out of the taps! This is the life, I thought, and poured in half a bottle of Trumper's Essence of Lime before I immersed myself in the aromatic tub. But first of all I hung my petticoat over the keyhole so Mr Rosencreutz couldn't take a peek.
    Nights at the Circus, by Angela Carter.

Another, less known fragrance reference/sighting during "Scent of a woman" (1992): Pinaud Clubman and a few more classic, mostly inexpensive aftershaves are visible when Lt. Col. Frank Slade gets an old fashion straight razor shave in an upscale NY barbershop

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    In DBC Pierres book Lights out in Wonderland (set in the culinary world) the main character carries a bottle of Jicky with him , which he drinks from occasionally.

In Bone in the Throat by Anthony Bourdain, the main mobster lathers himself with Bijan For Men before going out.

Any others?

Or fragrances mentioned or spotted in films?
    Please forgive me in advance for vagueness, error and/or misspellings; I think the television show American Horror Story: Roanoke (sp?) had a funny line in episode nine... a remark one character made of another called 'Lee'..."she wears Shalimar".
    "You have been drinking," she said slowly.
    "Only Chanel No. 5., and kisses, and the pale glow of lovely legs, and the mocking invitation in deep blue eyes. Innocent things like that"
    ~ Raymond Chandler, The Little Sister
    Currently wearing: Kai by Kai

A comparatively rarer and also slightly off-topic reference I just noticed today while watching a documentary about Hollywood legends on the History Channel:

during the festivities of the marriage between Rita Hayworth and Aly Khan, reportedly an entire swimming pool of a villa in Southern France was filled with EDC instead of water, although the actual name/brand of the respective EDC is not mentioned
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 5th December 2016 at 09:49 PM.

I haven't seen this shared yet -- here's a site that's dedicated to identifying perfumes in movies! https://borntobeunicorn.wordpress.com/

I like how they pointed out the Guerlain montres' bottles in Danish Girl were not historically accurate as they were introduced in the 30s while the movie was set in the 20s.

A 4711 sighting in the 1978 French comedy "La Zizanie"

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

I'm re-reading Brave New World, Huxley's classic novel, and the following passage was lost on me when I read it as a teenager. I guarantee it must have been the first time I saw/heard the word "chypre":

"Eight different scents and eau-de-Cologne were laid on in little taps over the wash-basin. She turned on the third from the left, dabbed herself with chypre and, carrying her shoes and stockings in her hand, went out to see if one of the vibro-vacuum machines were free."
    Currently wearing: Eau de Campagne by Sisley

A bottle of Old Spice Original is seen during a bedroom scene of American sitcom series "The Middle" (2009-present), as the main and possibly only fragrance (or, rather aftershave, occasional dabbing scent) of Mike Heck, one of the main characters

If only Chypre really was available in the dystopian future. I'd stock up.
    Currently wearing: Passion by Annick Goutal

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by SenseOfTheAbsurd View Post
    If only Chypre really was available in the dystopian future. I'd stock up.
    One might even say that a future with real chypre is by default, in no way a dystopia
    Currently wearing: Eau de Campagne by Sisley

A quite descriptive quote from "American Psycho"- the novel, about 1980s fragrance habits:

"The fragrances of Xeryus and Tuscany and Armani and Obsession and Polo and Grey Flannel and even Antaeus mingle, wafting into each other, rising from the suits and into the air, forming their own mixture: a cold, sickening perfume"

I've been doing a bit of writing on the British TV show Shameless and there's a "virtual" tour that you can take of the set on the Channel 4 website. For the unfamiliar, the show's known for its problematic class stereotypes, and I couldn't help but notice this bottle Creed's Himalaya sitting on a dresser next to the matches and mask that one of the characters uses to commit arson. A loaded choice, it seems!

Shameless.jpg

Another cameo appearance of the iconic Old Spice (presumably Old Spice Original bottle) during a bathroom scene in the film "Hot Tub Time Machine" (2010)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8