Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Fragrance references in fiction books or films

In another French film classics, the 1945 melodrama "Falbalas" by Jacques Becker, it is suggested that the main character, a successful and workaholic fashion designer disinfects or perhaps freshens up between fittings by means of an oversized bottle of Chanel No. 5, in its iconic usual rectangular shape, poured directly over his hands. Some additional trivia: according to the opening credits, the outfits were actually designed by Rochas.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 19th July 2014 at 02:10 PM.

In the 2008 movie Made of Honor, Hannah (Michelle Monaghan) first meets Tom (Patrick Dempsey), when Tom wearing a "Bill" Clinton mask, attempts to sneak into the dorm bed with "Monica".

[Tom] It's time for a little action. Monica... It's Bill. I've got some dictation for you, Monica.

I've got a big secret for you, Baby. How did you get up here so soon?

Monica...

[Hanna sprays Tom]

[Tom] Oh my eyes!. I can't see!

[Hanna] Who let you in!?

[Tom] What happened... Where's Monica? What happened to Monica?

[Hanna] How did you get in here? - She told me where the key was.

[Tom] I can't see. - Did she say it was ok to dry-hump her roommate?

She said, you would be in the library cause you were a geek...

[Hanna] I am not a geek!. God!

[Tom] My God. What was that, mace?

[Hanna] "Eternity", by Calvin Klein.

My Husband was watching this kitchy psychothriller called the Hand that Rocks the Cradle, in which the woman who is posing as a nanny in order to steal her employers Husband and Children for herself, wears her employers signature scent to seduce the Husband, and gets called out by the employers best friend for wearing her signature scent. The perfume was Dior Poison, my Husband thought it was hilarious because that is my signature scent.

The Office

Michael Scott: No! Don't throw that away! That's my Drakkar Noir.
    Ryan: No, this says "Rite Aid Night Swept."
    Michael Scott: It's a perfect smell-alike. I'm not paying for the label.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Mr Selfridge, a few Guerlain montre bottles on Mrs Selfridges dressing table. For spilt second in the opening sequence a shot of Guerlain bottles on the fragrance counter.
    One of the attendants (Kitty), makes her wooing reporter buy L'Heure Bleue for her to get out of the doghouse.

in Wes Anderson's "The Grand Budapest Hotel" M. Gustave- Ralph Fiennes- can't live without his (fictional) signature scent Air de Panache.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Scent of woman: Caron Fleurs de Rocaille.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    finally, a more humorous reference in the more contemporary sitcom "Mike and Molly"- when Molly Flynn and her sister Victoria remember their late father, they remark that he owned such immense quantities of Old Spice (which apparently he didn't enjoy so much) that he even "used it to light up the barbecue"
    Lol, in that same show (which I love), I recall Vince Moranto naming Drakkar Noir while speaking to Molly:

I just wanted to stop by and give these flowers to your mother. I’ll make sure she gets them. I got a friend in Little Armenia who gives me a deal. That’s why they smell like grilled lamb and Drakkar Noir.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    in Wes Anderson's "The Grand Budapest Hotel" M. Gustave- Ralph Fiennes- can't live without his (fictional) signature scent Air de Panache.
    One of my beloved references within the film, of which also includes Willem Dafoe's trenchcoat!

Fortunately or not, this fragrance is not so "fictional" anymore (but non-commercialized), the nose behind it is Mark Buxton.

"a blend that includes aldehyde top notes, which, Cloutier laughingly admits, traditionally appeal to the older women who are Gustave H.’s most beloved guests."

Top: basil, bergamot, mandarin orange, petitgrain and green apple.
    Middle: jasmine sambac and rose.
    Base: amber, castoreum, cedar, oakmoss, patchouli and musk.

I should probably mention that L'Heure Bleue was the favourite perfume of the 20th Century female author Jean Rhys. She mentions it in a few of her books. For example in Quartet it appears in both the book and the film version, and in the novel Good Morning, Midnight it is also mentioned.

Coincidentally, her biography is titled "The Blue Hour"

I caught a fragrance reference in Orange is the New Black the other day.....Piper says to Nikki after a discussion about their Mothers "you don't know what my sh*t" smells like"...sh*t being a reference to family drama.......to which Nikki leans in, sniffs her, and replies "you sh*t smells like Shalimar....must have rubbed off when she hugged ya". My Husband was like "isn't that the one in the fancy bottle that you love so much"

DowntnS2-10.jpg

They don't mention it, but they do show Mrs Crawley receiving some Guerlain perfume for Christmas in Season 2, episode 10 of Downton Abbey.

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    The Office

Michael Scott: No! Don't throw that away! That's my Drakkar Noir.
    Ryan: No, this says "Rite Aid Night Swept."
    Michael Scott: It's a perfect smell-alike. I'm not paying for the label.
    If you look closely, it's actually an empty bottle of Mugler Cologne that's being used as the prop. Which does NOT smell like Drakkar Noir.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

From Maxim Jakubowski's Ekaterina And The Night:

He can smell her perfume. An ever so fleeting touch of Anaïs Anaïs tempered with a darker note that softens the floral peaks of the fragrance, no doubt an intrinsic odour of her skin, a smell unique to her.

In the first of The Outlander series of books Cross stitch the heroine brushes L'Heure Bleu into her hair.
    DONNA

In Mad Men, Joan Holloway, when asked, says she wears Shalimar.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Spike Lee remake of Oldboy- Aramis

In City of Angels (1998), whilst poking around Meg Ryan's apartment, Nicholas Cage spritzes himself in the eyes with Bulgari Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyMeszaros View Post
    In Mad Men, Joan Holloway, when asked, says she wears Shalimar.
    I love how Jim Cutler has a nose for perfume in that show too. He at one point asks Ted's Secretary if she's wearing Shalimar, and correctly IDs Peggy as wearing Chanel No. 5 before she leaves for a date (looking good, I may add).

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    DowntnS2-10.jpg

They don't mention it, but they do show Mrs Crawley receiving some Guerlain perfume for Christmas in Season 2, episode 10 of Downton Abbey.
    That's Mitsouko pure parfum, I can tell by the maroon on the box! I know because I stalk the vintage stuff on eBay and I am always outbid because the price is higher than I want to pay
    “There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Carine Roitfeld admits in her documentary Mademoiselle C to wearing Opium layered with Fleur d'oranger (unspecified).

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Sherlock series 3 " His Last Vow" Claire de la Lune. Has a cool bottle, but is sadly fake.

Re: Lust, Caution by Ang Lee
    Great movie, rather overshadowed by the stunning success of "Brokeback Mountain" the year previous to its release. It's about political espionage in Japanese-occupied Shanghai. Male lead is Tony Leung, who we get to see every inch (and I mean every.inch) of in the bedroom scenes.

Anyway, perfume! Fairly early on in the movie, a young woman sits in a Western-style cafe. She's been chosen by the radical cadre from her college to infiltrate the opposition by seducing its leader. She pulls out a perfume bottle from her purse. It looked like a half ounce extrait bottle to me. She removes the stopper and applies the fragrance to her neck. I've never been able to identify the perfume, but it did its visual duty in anchoring the scene as one of anticipation and desire. Lust and caution, indeed.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 17th July 2014 at 05:03 PM.

In 'Lord of the Rings', Ugluk, captain of the band of Uruk-Hai orcs which captured Merry & Pippin, is seen to be carrying a bottle of Aramis in his leatherette washbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    In 'Lord of the Rings', Ugluk, captain of the band of Uruk-Hai orcs which captured Merry & Pippin, is seen to be carrying a bottle of Aramis in his leatherette washbag.

I've posted this so often, and I posted it in the Friday synch today. Sorry if I'm boring you...

In the film Hannibal, Clarice catches Hannibal the cannibal because of fragrance!!

Hannibal sends Clarice a letter. Clarice realises that the letter is fragranced. They gather a panel of noses who analyse it and track the fragrance to only a few places in the world. It's a really terrific scene for any fragrance lover. They identify "Kentucky Lavender" and ambergris. The clue takes us to Florence where Hannibal is seen on camera in the Santa Maria Novella shop in Via della Scala. Also in the film, the Police Inspectors beautiful wife, Allegra Pazzi has Santa Maria Novella fragrance on her dresser.

BTW the Friday synch today is about fragrances associated with TV programmes and Film. There are some great posts. Fell free to pop over. It's on the female forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post

I've posted this so often, and I posted it in the Friday synch today. Sorry if I'm boring you...

In the film Hannibal, Clarice catches Hannibal the cannibal because of fragrance!!

Hannibal sends Clarice a letter. Clarice realises that the letter is fragranced. They gather a panel of noses who analyse it and track the fragrance to only a few places in the world. It's a really terrific scene for any fragrance lover. They identify "Kentucky Lavender" and ambergris. The clue takes us to Florence where Hannibal is seen on camera in the Santa Maria Novella shop in Via della Scala. Also in the film, the Police Inspectors beautiful wife, Allegra Pazzi has Santa Maria Novella fragrance on her dresser.

BTW the Friday synch today is about fragrances associated with TV programmes and Film. There are some great posts. Fell free to pop over. It's on the female forum.
    I have pretty thoroughly researched this and have come to the conclusion that if you want to smell like Hannibal Lecter, Creed's Bois du Portugal is probably as close as you can get. It's the only fragrance I could find that features ambergris and lavender that would have been out and available in Europe when he sent his letter.

Basenotes Member

In the Stephen King short story "Umney's Last Case," one of the main characters--specifically the author who switches places with Umney--wears Aramis.

Quote Originally Posted by du57in View Post
    I have pretty thoroughly researched this and have come to the conclusion that if you want to smell like Hannibal Lecter, Creed's Bois du Portugal is probably as close as you can get. It's the only fragrance I could find that features ambergris and lavender that would have been out and available in Europe when he sent his letter.
    Very clever! I think that the letter is actually fragranced with scented hand creme. The panel of noses decide that it is a bespoke fragrance and that there is Ambergris in it and that you would only get real ambergris in a few places in the world, one being the Officina Profumo Farmaceutica Santa Maria Novella in Florence. This was really exciting for me because I have been there! They watch the shop's CCTV camera's and voila !! There is Hannibal sniffing fragrance from a mouillette. There is much artistic license, I'm sure, but it is a great plot twist for us, and you get to see Ridley Scotts beautiful hommage to Florence. Watch it!!

A brief scene in the French film "La Fille du RER" aka "The girl in the train" (2009) directed by Andre Techine includes the "cameo" of a rather oversized bottle of Chanel pour Monsieur, displayed rather in the background (thus almost impossible to establish whether it is the regular or the concentrated version).

Big Bang Theory - Season 1 Episode 3, The Fuzzy Boots Corollary, around 13 minutes in...

Leonard:
    “How do I look?”
    Sheldon:
    “Could you be more specific?”
    Leonard:
    “Can you tell I’m perspiring a little?”
    Sheldon:
    “Naw, the dark crescent shape patterns under your arms conceal it nicely.”
    “What time is your date?”
    Leonard:
    “6:30”
    Sheldon:
    “Perfect, that gives you 2 hours and 15 minutes for that dense molecular cloud of Aramis to dissipate.”
    Leonard:
    "Is it too much?"
    Sheldon:
    "Not if you’re a rugby team."
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Basenotes Member

Another Stephen King reference:
    In It, while flying on the Concorde from England to Maine, Bill Denbrough notices the man next to him is wearing Ted Lapidus cologne, but that the smell of sweat is still noticeable.

Watching "The Simpsons", just noticed that grandpa Abe Simpson was wearing Old Spice, humorously referred to as "Old Old Spice" (but the iconic bottle was still depicted quite accurately).

Bringing the nerdery: In the X-Men mini series "Phoenix: Endsong", Emma Frost sais that she preferes Dior over Chanel.