Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Unsuperintended Member

Default Re: Fragrance references in fiction books or films

Watching a re-run of British classic serial 'Never the Twain', I think I glimpsed a bottle of Mandate in Oliver's bathroom. 'Ringo!'

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Screenshot from American Psycho.
    I remember seeing a bottle of Kouros in the movie too (suitable choice? not sure)

In 2007's American Gangster, Denzel Washington's character has a dressing table made for his mother from memory, on it stands a bottle of Shalimar (extrait or parfum, not spray)

Unsuperintended Member

Glimpsed a bottle of M&S Woodspice on 'Cash in the Attic'.

Quote Originally Posted by Arij View Post
    One of my beloved references within the film, of which also includes Willem Dafoe's trenchcoat!

Fortunately or not, this fragrance is not so "fictional" anymore (but non-commercialized), the nose behind it is Mark Buxton.

"a blend that includes aldehyde top notes, which, Cloutier laughingly admits, traditionally appeal to the older women who are Gustave H.’s most beloved guests."

Top: basil, bergamot, mandarin orange, petitgrain and green apple.
    Middle: jasmine sambac and rose.
    Base: amber, castoreum, cedar, oakmoss, patchouli and musk.
    I wish I could get my hands on this.
    Current top 5:
    1) MDCI Invasion Barbare
    2) Imaginary Authors The Cobra and The Canary
    3) Guerlain Vetiver
    4) Parfums de Nicolai: New York
    5) A*Men: Pure Havane

SALES THREAD!
    SWAP THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Hannibal Lecter - '... sometimes you wear L'Air du Temps - but not today' to Clarice in Silence of the Lambs.
    Everyone remembers this one however the one that sticks in my mind is the references to the balms and ointments from the Santa Maria Novella in Mason Verger's house. Then later in the book there is an extremely descriptive passage where Harris/Lecter describes walking into the Farmacia di Santa Maria Novella on Via della Scala Florence.

Having been there myself I can tell you that the description hits the nail on the head

Dr. Hannibal Lecter came in early from the noisome street to the Farmacia di Santa Maria Novella, one of the best smelling places on Earth. He stood for some minutes with his head back and eyes closed, taking in the aromas of the great soaps and lotions and creams, and of the ingredients in the workrooms. The porter was accustomed to him, and the clerks, normally given to a certain amount of hauteur, had great respect for him. The purchases of the courteous Dr. Fell (Lecter) over his months in Florence would not have totalled more than one hundred thousand lire, but the fragrances and essences were chosen and combined with a sensibility startling and gratifying to these scent merchants, who lived by the nose.

In was to preserve this pleasure that Dr. Lecter had not altered his own nose with rhinoplasty other than external collagen injections. For him the air was painted with scents as distinct and as vivid as colours, and he could layer and feather them as though painting wet-on-wet. Here there as nothing of jail. Here the air was music. Here were pale tears of frankincense awaiting extraction, yellow bergamot, sandalwood, cinnamon and mimosa in concert, over the sustaining ground notes of genuine ambergris, civet, castor from the beaver, and essence of the musk deer,

Dr. Lecter sometimes entertained the illusion that he could smell with his hands, his arms and cheeks, that odour suffused him. That he could smell with his face and his heart.

For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

Sons of Anarchy.

The characters Gemma Teller and Tara Knowles was discussing strategies to bring an item to jail for a jailed member to remind him of his "old lady". Gemma suggested a perfume that this said member liked. Came in a blue bottle called Blue Roses or Blue something, smelled of semen and patchouli. LOL Any idea what that might be?
    Current top 5:
    1) MDCI Invasion Barbare
    2) Imaginary Authors The Cobra and The Canary
    3) Guerlain Vetiver
    4) Parfums de Nicolai: New York
    5) A*Men: Pure Havane

SALES THREAD!
    SWAP THREAD

L'Artisan Parfumeur / Les amours imaginaires (Heartbeats) by Xavier Dolan

In a completely obscure Belgian short film named "Eliot" (2013), a brief sighting of Guerlain Vetiver and 4711 in an equally brief bathroom scene appears.

I'm glancing through a copy of "The Swiss Family Robinson" that my niece had taken out of the library tonight and I come across a page describing the civet cat, its relation to perfume, and a pretty detailed account of the civet extraction process. The whole page involved a dinner convo about musk.

And last week I was watching Colors, when Sean Penn who plays a cop nabs this gangbanger and says, "Man you stink! What are you wearing? Eau de Doo Dah Day?"
    Last edited by Buysblind; 13th October 2014 at 04:17 AM.

l'eau d'issey & drakkar noir in "the limey"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Unsuperintended Member

A vintage bottle of Hai Karate went for £20 on Dickinson's Real Deal earlier. Now that's what I call a real deal!

Patrick Bateman in American Psycho (the book) states on more than one occasion that one of his friends "reeks of Xeryus".

I think Paco Rabanne gets a mention too but can't fully remember.
    Last edited by Q. R. Crumm; 24th October 2014 at 11:10 AM.

The denouement to Asghar Farhadi's Le Passé (The Past) hinges on perfume - I've probably said too much already for those who haven't seen it but want to...

Unsuperintended Member

Watching the 1958 Hammer film 'Dracula' - Dr Van Helsing advises Mina's maid to apply eau de cologne to her fevered brow, to relieve her vampiric ague.

Former My Chemical Romance lead singer Gerard Way's new solo album "Hesitant Alien" has a track called "Drugstore Perfume".

The bad news: There are no other fragrance references on this track.
    The good news: It still is a great song.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    2) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    3) Back to Black - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

It's not visible in the earlier screenshot from American Psycho, but there is a bottle of Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui on the upper shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by p1trick View Post
    l'eau d'issey & drakkar noir in "the limey"
    "The Limey"! How I loved that movie. Terence Stamp stalking Peter Fonda, seeking revenge for his daughter's death. Thanks for the reminder!

"You say you'll give !e anything to make my life a feast.
    But you don't give !e anything, not even Arpège, you beast..."

Eartha Kitt, "Champagne Taste"

Quote Originally Posted by TheAntagonist View Post
    I wish I could get my hands on this.
    I smelled l'air de Panache at the David Mallett salon in Paris earlier this year. I LOVED IT. So disappointed to find out that it wasn't for sale

Breakfast at Tiffany's

perfumes.jpg

While uncertain whether commercials can be seen as fiction, saw a bottle of Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes (never named, but easily recognizable due to the iconic shape of the green flask) in a recent German commercial for bathroom furniture by IKEA.

Unsure as to how a Hermes fragrance can match the rather utilitarian, stark and no-frills brand image of IKEA, but the marketers behind this must have their strategies.

Unsuperintended Member

Spotted a bottle of Charlie on our Sandra's dresser, on a re-run of The Liver Birds.

Re-watching the 2011 film adaptation of "In Search of Lost Time", a glimpse of the iconic "bee bottle" by Guerlain can be seen in the main character's/narrator's bathroom.
    The historical accuracy is remarkable, since in Proust's age Guerlain was not only established as one of the major fragrance purveyors of Parisian high society, but also the famous bee bottle already existed.

Donnie Darko's bathroom cabinet has Old Spice in it...
    "I have to return some videotapes"

Hello Kaern and all,

I love this topic!

Liliana Cavani's film The Night Porter, 1973-ish, (NSFW) featuring Charlotte Rampling and Dirk Borgarde, has a scene that goes something like:

Kurt (I think? I don't recall the character's name):...And that perfume she wallows in is muck! Look, it may be some fancy brand but it makes me vomit. Really!
    Max:..Well, at least she doesn't smell of fried food like you do; or, uh, 'mouthwash'.
    Kurt:...I don't smell of mouthwash. I'm dripping with Helena Rubenstein's 'Eau de Cologne for Men.' For men of distinction!
    Max:...Bah!
    Last edited by panope7734; 21st November 2014 at 03:35 AM.
    Happy 2015!

Welcome, panope7734!

I wouldn't have thought that anybody wearing Helena Rubenstein would be in a position to criticize someone else's perfume choice, even back in 1973. I guess that was the joke.

Thank you for your welcome, Zilpha!

LOL I do think that was part of the joke.

Warmest regards!

P.
    Happy 2015!

In the film"Julie & Julia" (2009) you can spot a bottle of Guerlain's Heritage.
    In the movie "Swim Fan" (2002) theres a bottle of L'instant de Guerlain standing on a dressing table

Nice ones Glamis! Welcome to Basenotes.

Blog Entries

I too would like to find a bottle of "Grand Budapest Hotel".
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

In The Family Man Cage seems to sniff Dana's English Leather to take him back to olden days.

Just re-screened season one of The Sopranos

Jimmy: You think I got enough cologne on?
    Christopher: You smell like Paco Rabanne crawled up your ass and died.

In "The Best Years of Our Lives" (1946) there's a great perfume scene. Fred -- honored bombadier in the war, but back home now, and has to take a low-paying job at a drugstore counter -- tries selling perfume. A very central-casting middle-age woman comes in:

Woman: "l've seen advertisements about this: 'Night of Bliss.' ls it all that they say it is?"
    Fred: "Uh, what do they say it is? [looks at label] 'Haunting, provocative, languorous.' Oh yes, l'm sure it's all of those."

Woman: "Ooh, 'Seduction'. How much is that?"
    Fred: "lt's quite expensive. lt's $16.50. But it's a good, safe bet."
    Woman: "Just what do you mean by that?"
    Fred: "Well, l mean it's . . . it's a perfume that fits any mood."
    Woman: "Oh! All right, l'll take it."

Don't know how it comes across in writing, but on the screen it's very funny.

More Sopranos, this time from Season 2

Carmela: Did you hear about Ralphie Ritaldo... the brazilian he keeps on the side...she had a baby
    Tony: And Christopher is in the hospital and this is on your mind now!?
    Carmela: Maybe it has to do with the CK one stinking up your shirt last Wednesday night
    Tony: Oh its over! Months ago!
    Carmela: Yeah, right

Too funny!

In the novel Comes A Horseman by Robert Liparulo, protagonist Brady Moore gives himself a spray of Lagerfeld Photo.

In "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", Mac wears Drakkar Noir. At one point Charlie applies about a dozen sprays to himself after sneaking into Mac's apartment.

Guerlain gets some air time in season 6 (episodes 7 "Luxury Lounge" and 11 "Cold Stones") of The Sopranos.

At about 49 minutes into "Luxury Lounge", Tony takes a bee bottle out of a solid white box. He fiddles with the stopper but doesn't smell the juice. The bottle was part of Christopher's haul after rolling Lauren Bacall and making off with her swag bag. Similar looking to this one, but I don't know which it was they used...
    guerlain-golden-bee-bottle.jpg

At about 51 minutes into "Cold Stones", Carmella admires Guerlain's Paris storefront, specifically focusing in on the sculpted face amid flowers looking down from the arch over the main entrance.
    guerlain storefront iii.jpgguerlain storefront ii.jpgguerlain storefront.jpg
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

In John Fowles' 1963 novel The Collector, Miranda dolls herself up in 'oceans of Mitsouko'.

'Malibu. More movie stars. More pink and blue bathtubs. More tufted beds. More Chanel No. 5. More Lincoln Continentals and Cadillacs. More wind-blown hair and sunglasses and pseudo-refined voices and waterfront morals.' - Raymond Chandler, 'The Little Sister', 1948.
    Last edited by panope7734; 4th January 2015 at 07:49 PM. Reason: To add date of publishment. Thanks much!
    Happy 2015!

In the 1966 French comedy classic "La Grande Vadrouille" (aka "The great stroll"), at some point the biggest box-office hit among French comedies and even now among the most popular French comedies and films in general, the two main characters, played by comedic geniuses Louis de Funes and Bourvil, each receive a complimentary bottle of 4711 from the owner of the small provincial hotel where they have to stay over night.

Blog Entries

'The Story of G.I. Joe' movie- 1945,
    Based on journalist Ernie Pyle story of WWII
    One soldier carries a bottle of perfume and smells it to remind him of his girl.
    On Christmas he finally wears some on his own neck.
    The other soldiers smell it (they're in a cave, dugout) but they rather enjoy it and don't say anything.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/articl...f-G-I-Joe.html
    Last edited by kumquat; 19th January 2015 at 03:38 PM.

Too many to mention from American Horror Story series but here are a few...

American Horror Story: Season 2: Episode 1

American Horror Story: Season 3: Episode 5 - Tocca

American Horror Story: Season 4: Episode 6 - Venetian Romance (fictional)

Castle of the eponymous TV series confesses he has a soft spot for Fracas on a woman. The whole episode 13 of 4th series revolves around a fictional celebuscent.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen