Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Central Florida. 44 years old, de-clawed teddy bear who is as comfortable in a tie-dye as an oxford

Default Re: Fragrance references in fiction books or films

References to fragrance are everywhere but I never was consciously looking for them before. In every book I've read since joining BN there's been a mention. In fact, the last book I read called The Last Secret of the Temple by Paul Sussman, part of the plot rested on one of the main characters remembering the scent of a men's cologne. In the book Angelology, which I read around December, one of the main characters wore Shalimar (part of the book flashed back to the 40's)

I'm currently reading The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker and I'll be surprised if there isn't a mention of some type of fragrance.
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis

Unsuperintended Member

I came across two appearances of Brut in Seinfeld season 6. In The Face Painter, George splashes it on his face. In another episode, it was Cosmo (it might have been in The Fusilli Jerry but my memory is hazy as I fell asleep toward the end, if you'll pardon the pun).
    He boiled for our sins.

I nicked this from the other (unmentionable) website

'I remember Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby saying that she was wearing Detchema'

It's by Revillon

In John Grisham's The Pelican Brief, Darby Shaw remembers the Grey Flannel her father used when she smells her boyfriend's cologne.

In Robert Ludlum's The Prometheus Deception, Bryson uses Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet to reinforce the image of a midlevel civil servant as he attempts to enter the Parliament building without raising suspicion.

Dunno if this has been mentioned yet but Workaholics mention Cool Water in the latest episode, Adam was rubbing his body all over a co-worker (who was wearing it) so that he could smell like it as well (you'd have to see it). Also, Always Sunny in Philadelphia have mentioned Drakkar Noir in several episodes.

After having just watched an episode of the French TV series "Clash" (2012), just noticed a brief cameo of a Eau d'Orange Verte bottle (for some reason, this particular fragrance bottle seems to increasingly popular and/or frequently sighted in both fictional and nonfictional broadcasts as of lately, even in non/fragrance commercials).

The scene/moment of this fragrance sighting: one of the male characters was preparing for spending an evening- although for work-related reasons- at the Paris opera.