Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New on BN - What do you suggest?

Hello all,

I'm peppermoon! I love big white florals and sweet/spicy orientals.

My favorite notes are:

Spring/summer: tea, ginger, honeysuckle, honey, grapefruit, orange blossom, peach, lemon verbena/lemon grass, rose, lavender, black currant, cedar

Fall/winter: Musk, almond, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, jasmine, pepper, honey, saffron, rose, lily, ginger, sandalwood, cider/tea/coffee, amber, woods, hazelnut

Least favorite: Patchouli in large doses (often turns to bug spray on my skin), powdery notes, civet, aquatic notes, cumin, tropical fruits, freesia, melon

The scent that I wear the most right now is Elie Saab edp. I'm a poor college student so I own very few bottles but have a lot of samples. Based on my description, what do you think I should try next?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New on BN - What do you suggest?

Have you tried Jour d'Hermes? Tea white floral, transparent and good for the summer.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Peppermoon, samples are awesome they keep you from getting stuck in a rut imo

From the notes you mentioned I have one that stands out, it's from 2009 and it's a nice clean daytime perfume. Ange Ou Demon Le Secret, topnotes: tea, lemon, cranberry Middle: jasmine, water lily, peony and Base: woodsy notes and patchouli. Don't be scared of the patchouli, I dislike it in all but the smallest doses and in this formulation it's quite tame. This is a good daily wear one, polite projection, and generally agreeable. It's also the only perfume I've worn I've ever been complimented on fwiw!

This is at Sephora, and they will decant a sample for you. There's a parfum concentration as well.

Good hunting for your next scent

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cacio, I've tried Jour d'Hermes and I liked it but it wasn't a WOW for me. It was a little too mellow on my skin.

Linsul, I like the notes, I'll have to check that out. I only really get wary of a scent if patchouli is one of the most present notes in a composition. I recently bought bottles of Tocca Cleopatra and L'Artisan Timbuktu, both of which contain "well behaved" patchouli.

Thanks for the suggestions, both of you!

Sounds like White Zagora by The Different Company might be something you might like based on the notes you like.

(3936)
    Last edited by hednic; 8th February 2014 at 07:38 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

I don't like too much patch either most of time! Perfumes you may want to check out are:

Beige by Chanel, I know there is a freesia note listed in this but I don't care for freesia much either, so, I don't believe this has a huge note of it. I get way more fragipani.

Jo Malone Grapefruit

Eau The Rouge Bvlgari

Un Zeste de Rose by Parfums de Rosine

Chanel Coco Edp

Hypnotic Poison

Love and Tears Kilian

Escale a Pondichery Dior

Botrytis

Songes Annick Goutal

Eau de Camille Annick Goutal

Dzing L'Artisan

Ange Ou Demon(original) has saffron

Safran Troublant L'Artisan
    Last edited by kalli; 8th February 2014 at 07:42 AM.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hednic, Thank you, I like the notes on that one.

Kalli, Thank you for the very detailed response. I have a mini of Jo Malone Grapefruit and I love it for summer, but I actually prefer Jo Loves Pomelo (which you should check out if you like JM Grapefruit). I've sniff-tested Coco edp and liked it, but I've never tested it on my skin. I have a sample of Hypnotic Poison and like it, I'm hoping to try the flankers sometime soon. I actually just tried Songes and fell in love with it. I sampled Dzing and it was oddly compelling, but ultimately a bit too animalic for me to wear. I had a small sample of Saffran Troublant and used it up quickly, I liked it very much and will probably purchase a bottle when I am older and can afford it. I have not tried the others you mentioned, but they look great.
    Last edited by peppermoon; 8th February 2014 at 07:16 PM.

No problem. I am not huge on grapefruit actually but did find the Jo Malone to be alright. Ya, Dzing was too animalic for me too. If you like honeysuckle, a cheaper one is Honeymania by The Body Shop.
    Last edited by kalli; 8th February 2014 at 07:55 PM.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

l think you would enjoy all three of these Estee Lauder Private Collection scents; Tuberose Gardenia, (my all-time favourite big white floral) Jasmin White Moss, (a crisp & elegant jasmine) & Amber Ylang Ylang (a warm & sweet oriental). These are slightly less expensive than most niche offerings, but still stand out from the mainstream in terms of quality.

For a beautiful, lemony-fresh honeysuckle, Annick Goutal's Le Chevrefeuille is hard to beat.

For grapefruit, seek out Arran Aromatics Just Grapefruit.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

+1 on teardrop's suggestions. Jasmine Full by Montale is one you should try too. Jasmine+ honeysuckle.

Post Thanks / Like

Gucci pour Homme II

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of these last perfumes that have been suggested, I have sniffed Tuberose Gardenia (love, could see myself having a bottle) and Montale Full (a little too whack-you-over-the-head-with-jasmine, but maybe that was just my sample.). I want to try the other Estee Lauder private lines as they look like they'd be up my alley, and I want to try other Montales as well, as the longeviity and projection were very good. The AG Chevrefeuille sounds perfect, and I'll have to check out Gucci pour Homme II sometime, I like the cinnamon/tea combo.

I agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Gucci pour Homme II

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Silver Mountain Water
    +1 GPH2
    Tea for Two
    Keiko Mecheri les Zazous
    Chergui
    Absolue pour le soir
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    Amouage Interlude Man
    Pure Distance M
    Creed Royal Oud
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Absolue Pour le Soir
    MDCI Chypre Palatin
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Ronia J Oud Assam
    Goti Smoke Essenze

Post Thanks / Like

Default New on BN - What do you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Gucci pour Homme II
    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I agree!
    As do I! This was the first frag that came to mind after reading your post.

ETA: Also check out Chergui and Burberry London!
    Last edited by caferacer; 13th February 2014 at 05:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Some additional suggestions: Voyage d'Hermes EDT and EDP, Dior Escale a Portofino, the various concentrations and flankers, as well as the initial Chanel No.19, also from Chanel: Cristalle, most of the Aqua Allegoria line by Guerlain and some of the classic Eau de Cologne creations by Acqua di Parma, Acqua di Genova dn Carthusia.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! You and I have similar tastes. You might want to have a look at my wardrobe.

Here are a few specifics I'd suggest trying. Many times just a decant is the best way to go. You don't need FUll Bottles of everything and the investment is smaller too.

Amouage Lyric woman or Ted Lapidus Rumba Passion which is similar, less spendy but slightly synthetic

Serge Lutens Fleurs d'oranger
    serge Lutens La fille de Berlin
    Jo Malone Saffron Cologne Intense
    Ginestet Botryti
    s this is great layered with Chergui
    Last edited by danieq; 14th February 2014 at 11:51 PM.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and definitely check out Keiko Mecheri Attar de Roses
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

other than the gph ii suggestion L'humaniste stood out in my mind as another option for you based on your criteria. Very nice scent too.

Please try Un Matin D'orage by Annick Goutal.. It's is a beautiful sweet and wet gardenia fragrance. Like Gardenias after a sun shower. If your skin likes it then it is a wonderful scent. I immediately thought of Annick Goutal when reading your post.