Code of Conduct

Wink My take on the Hermes Un Jardin Series

Hermes Fragrance impressions

Un Jardin en Méditerranée - I like figs and I thought this would WOW me, but meh; well it smells like figs, very light; again diptyque has a better interpretation for figs

Un Jardin sur le Nil - is the hype fragrance, its starts with a strong fresh mangoes layered softly with leaves; on my skin it has grass vibe to it; I like this it floats on your skin and has cooling effect; if you grew up in the provinces surrounded by mango trees this will bring back memories

Un Jardin Après La Mousson – I like this the best; it is rather unique with an aquatic feel (not the cool water type), it has a melon smell hinted by spices; I can't explain it its a delicate scent but really every note is suspended on top of each other this is something I would recommend from the jardin series

Un Jardin Sur Le Toit – the sweetest of the bunch; initial sprays smells like over-ripe apples, lychee/longan to my nose mix with green scents; I don’t know but victoria secret also has this scent

Summary: Un jardin are indeed water color scents, fleeting to the highest degree, it is wearable but I don’t know if this justifies the price, its skin scent! The scent that projects the most is their sur le toit, and borders on the fruity candy, juvenile scent (Britney spears category)

this is from a newbie perspective:

The minimalist style in terms of composition that JCE was practicing on is really a hit or miss on the jardin series.

Strength: The notes and composition is very transparent and "floats" on your skin; it smells "natural"

Weakness (a lot): 1) the very nature of its transparency is very delicate that after 2-4 hours, the scent basically disappears or becomes skin scent; 2) the jardin series smells like home air fresheners 3) price for something you can find in the home fragrance section (I am not their target market) 4) scents remind me of baby colognes, yes it more polished but it has that similar vibe

Moreover, If I am looking for a natural/nature inspired, time capsule like effect on my fragrances, Diptyque, Annick Goutal (fanboy), Penhaligon's anthology series, and selections from floris does it better Also, compositions from TDC whom he co-founded have better interpretations of nature inspired/scenic/gardens/

(*also posted on fragna)

what do you think?

Default Re: My take on the Hermes Un Jardin Series

A very nice detailed analysis on this series. Personally happen to like all of them especially Un Jardin Sur Le Nil. Have to agree with you that longevity is a consistent problem with these even on my skin which doesn't soak up scent.

(3934)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Very good review, Un Jardin sur le Nil and Un Jardin Après La Mousson sound particularly good but for the "fleeting" and "transparent" qualities. Is it me, or are a lot of perfumes going the powerhouse/skin scent extremes? Granted it's been awhile since I checked but very few seem to choose middle ground.

I feel 2000 onward compositions are really focused on being non-offensive, discreet fragrances, that when you leave your house you can barely smell your fragrance. Also, it is the capitalist advantage that people reapply more often, the higher the usage, the more bottles you need to buy.

Unlike in the 80's where a spray or two will suffice for a whole day fragrant life.

My conspiracy theory on this of course, is there is a plan of creating a mindset of one world order, everyone should be a conformist as dictated by the One world order, lol One should not be a DEVIANT but a conformist haha
    Last edited by happyscent; 8th February 2014 at 06:08 AM.

I've always gotten great longevity and sillage out of Meditereanee. Great review!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

True, I may have been too harsh with Un Jardin en Méditerranée - respraying it now, it has the fig leaf, vegetal note together with the juicy fruit; hmmm a dry fig on my nose; but I feel it is too watered down? for a breathtaking and scenic Mediterranean garden

Out of the Jardin collection, Mediterranee wowed me the most. To me it is also the one in with the best projection and longetivity from that line. I am really looking forward to the spring and summer when I will put it to the test!

/JRV

I also found Un Jardin Après La Mousson to be the best, love the peppery phantom water melon.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Blog Entries

Nice reviews! It's pleasing to me to see Mousson getting some love. I think it's a truly masterful scent, but it's probably the least accessible of the group, too. Meditérranée is the easy lover of the bunch for most people, but I find it somewhat unsatisfying unless I layer it with a floral. TDC Jasmin de Nuit works well for that.

One thing to remember is that, if these scents are being found in the cheap seats, it's very likely because Ellena did it first, and everybody copied. Several times, I've found aspects of his latest scents copied or duplicated in BBW / C.O. Bigelow scents in under a year. Some of that is availability of new aroma chemicals, but I also think that a lot of it is perfumers recognizing new ways that other perfumers have used recent materials, and it's possible to jump on the bandwagon instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    I also found Un Jardin Après La Mousson to be the best, love the peppery phantom water melon.
    Great description!!!

Basenotes Plus

Of the four, I liked Un Jardin en Méditerranée the best and picked up a big bottle of it for spring and summer days. I prefer this one much better to Diptyque Philosykos, which is to me more raw green, more fig leaf than fig itself. It's funny the note pyramid for Un Jardin en Méditerranée does not list fig itself, just fig leaf, but I definitely get good whiffs of the fig fruit in this one. It's not overly sweet and syrupy, it's very light and fresh, like a slightly under ripe fig fruit cut in half.

I think I'll be picking up Un Jardin Après La Mousson next - that was my other summery choice. Went through the sample pretty fast so my specific note recollection is a little vague (should have written it down), but I do recall it was a strange yet intriguing combination of notes that all played so well together. I vaguely recall cardamon/ginger/pepper, yet overall it was sweeter than these ingredients would suggest.

Un Jardin Sur Le Nil would be my third choice - nice citrus/floral combination, with a small hint of incense, iris and cinnamon in the dry down.

Un Jardin Sur Le Toit is the only one I would skip (personally) altogether - it's just too sweet for my liking. I think this one may work better on a woman. I think this one is the least unisex of the four.

My favorite is Un Jardin en Méditerranée, though I must admit it is rather sheer (especially for the price). I have not been able to try Un Jardin Après La Mousson yet though, as none of the stores near me carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by peppermoon View Post
    My favorite is Un Jardin en Méditerranée, though I must admit it is rather sheer (especially for the price). I have not been able to try Un Jardin Après La Mousson yet though, as none of the stores near me carry it.
    Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    I think I'll be picking up Un Jardin Après La Mousson next - that was my other summery choice. Went through the sample pretty fast so my specific note recollection is a little vague (should have written it down), but I do recall it was a strange yet intriguing combination of notes that all played so well together. I vaguely recall cardamon/ginger/pepper, yet overall it was sweeter than these ingredients would suggest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    Yes, I do recommend you get apres la mousson I can't describe all the things I can smell on apres but out of all the four, this has the spark of brilliance on my nose. Aquatic/ozonic compositions get a bad reputation on basenotes but some perfumers are trying to recreate certain elements to this ingredient/appeal without making it cheap smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    It's pleasing to me to see Mousson getting some love. I think it's a truly masterful scent, but it's probably the least accessible of the group, too. Meditérranée is the easy lover of the bunch for most people, but I find it somewhat unsatisfying unless I layer it with a floral. TDC Jasmin de Nuit works well for that.
    Indeed apres la mousson is wonderfully done and I agree Mediterranee can easily be like; again I repeat it is too watered down for my taste. Mediterranean garden should smell bombastic not a watery figgy somewhat green fragrance.