Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Saturday, 8 February, 2014.

Hi everyone - have a lovely day!

Psychedelique - Jovoy.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Saturday, 8 February, 2014.

'Morning all!
    Tabac by AbdesSalaam Attar in a foggy day

Enjoy your weekend!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

No rain !

It's a warm showery "winter's" day.

Réminiscence - Patchouli

for me today.

Hello all. PG Tonkamonde.
    DONNA

Hello all, enjoy your weekend!

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Saturday, 8 February, 2014.

VIVARA

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone, Shalimar continues to hold me in thrall.

Wish you all a great day.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Blecch, stomach virus (or maybe food poisoning?) kept me up most of the night.
    Talkin' to Ralph on the Big White Phone.

Now I'm sipping ginger tea, then back to sleep a bit more. Later, on when I'm less queazy, I'll spray on some Demeter Gingerale.

There's a new idea: matching your scent to your tea!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Talkin' to Ralph on the Big White Phone. ...
    Eek, hope you feel better soon Roses.
    I'm sampling this and that today. Tonight I'm at the ballet (mixed bill of Ashton / McMillan / McGregor) and will wear Habit Rouge extrait (thanks again for the sample, L.!).

Have a great weekend, all.

Ignis by Omar Sharif

(3938)
    Last edited by hednic; 8th February 2014 at 01:24 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

30 Roses, oh no! You need more spoiling!
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Hello everyone -

I'm in magnificent rosy clouds of Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie this morning ...aahhh.

Y'all have a fantastic day!

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post
    Evangeline, sounds like it should be a very interesting production! Enjoy your evening with Tony. You mentioned three perfumes I have not tried yet but are on the test list. I always love hearing your thoughts on perfumes - you have such a way with your descriptions.
    Thanks! It was very interesting, indeed - we both enjoyed it, probably a bit too much, hehe. Yes, you definitely need to get your hands on some Chamade, at the very least, and the current stuff is still phenomenally gorgeous, I'm so pleased to say. I'd certainly recommend Nahema too, but it's not quite as easy to source. Thanks again, for the nice compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Talkin' to Ralph on the Big White Phone.
    Lol, and oh no! I sure hope you feel better soon, 30R.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    ...Tonight I'm at the ballet (mixed bill of Ashton / McMillan / McGregor) and will wear Habit Rouge extrait (thanks again for the sample, L.!)
    Oh, I know about these pieces - Tetractys sounds especially interesting! You have a marvelous time and I'll look forward to your report.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 8th February 2014 at 02:08 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Roses oh no! Feel better soon.

Enjoy the ballet G

Last minute invite to the opera tonight, Otello again? Yes please! The lady sitting next to me asked if the tenor playing Cassio was my husband. I wish! To be able to listen to a voice like that every night would be amazing.

Loads of Cuir de Russie vintage extrait again tonight.

Have lovely weekend everyone.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Doing a ''Hedonist'':
    DSCF7009.jpg
    It's definitely foggy here. In Dutch ''highrises'' are called ''cloud scratchers'', but these aren't scratching anymore, they have drowned!
    So in view of the weather I'm wearing ''Knowing'' by Estee Lauder
    Last edited by FrouFrou; 8th February 2014 at 02:13 PM.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Why is my photo so small? Does anybody know?
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Smelling especially *gorgeous* FrouFrou - Knowing is a real stunner.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Thank you Evangeline, I can't believe I didn't get this earlier.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

^^ Me, neither! We share a love of deeply herbal, mossy chypres (L'Arte di Gucci, La Perla, etc.,) and that's another perfect example, and one that should have been in your collection all along. You should definitely get a lot of wear out of it.

Where is that froufrou?

30R, oh no! Hope you feel better soon.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

Feel better soon, 30Roses! Ginger sounds like good medicine to me.

Encens Flamboyant for work on this very windy, showery day.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Evangeline... I know... I am deeply ashamed... I do look for your reviews, because when you like something, I know I will probably like it too!
    I am really starting to understand that it has to be dark, bitter, deep, and chypre.
    Otherwise I might like it, I might admire it, but it doesn't touch me to the depths of my soul. So I should not be tempted to buy something which isn't dark and chypre-ish.
    It also seems I am doomed to vintage...
    Yesterday I kept sniffing my own wrist, wearing the Balmain the Balmain. Now I keep doing it, with the knowing, when a fragrance is really good I constantly have a wrist close to my nose.....

Kalli, it's the view of downtown Dallas.
    Well, view.... It's where the view usually is.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

((30R)) Sorry for the distress. Good excuse for a hearty pampering though.

Hey, remember the fruity-flora category? I'd almost forgotten it. I'm gobbling up the black currant, plum, peach, jasmine and vanilla notes of Chopard Mira Bai.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling Lacoste pour Homme this morning
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Hi everyone, and happy weekend!

(((30Roses))) poor thing, rest and feel better soon!

Opera two nights in a row? Lucky girl, Xscent!

Froufrou, I need a bottle of that myself. You smell gorgeous!

Ordered my Valentines present to myself last night, a big bottle of No. 19 EDP. I figure nobody else is going to spoil me this year, so I took it upon myself.

Have been to the gym this morning and just want to curl up on the couch with Rocky and eat junk food and watch a movie. Unfortunately the house really needs cleaning...and I'm dieting...so I'll be eating grapes and carrots and cleaning house in Bel Respiro.

autochrome by Mervyn O'Gorman, c. 1912.

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Cuir Ottoman today. I came downstairs and Hubby says "Wow, your perfume is STRONG." Oh really? Whatevah ...

I'm sipping on Chai Latte, made with my Christmas present, the Keurig. It's surprisingly good ... I'm not a coffee drinker but I'm sure using the Keurig for hot tea a lot this winter. I've not been much of a hot tea drinker either ... but I'm learning. You can even use the Keurig to make hot water for traditional tea bags which I like a lot. (And a special thank you here to kalli for a great sampler kit of tea bags AND a lovely blue tea cup! I getting tons of use from it!)

30 Roses, how unfair to get sick on your birthday!

Happy weekend everyone ... go Jayhawks!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I am wearing Cuir de Russie by Chanel in honor of the Olympics. It goes well with my very worn out burgundy leather jacket too. Love it!

Basenotes Plus

Hi everybody….I've been spending a lot of hours working and I've begun a whole new chapter in my life. I have lost 9 pounds in the last 3 weeks & feel better than I ever have.
    We also had the terrible gastro intestinal flu at work but I escaped getting sick. I think my healthier lifestyle played a key roll in that.

As far as perfume goes, I have been craving sweet scents & jasmine. Today I'm wearing Carthusia Gelsomini, a beautiful soft jasmine.

Love you guys!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Blog Entries

Erin; good for you for spoiling yourself! And who cares if the house gets cleaned or not? Junk food & a movie sound much more fun than dieting & housework. l'm sure Rocky would agree!

Winter Woods this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

ComDiva, loved your story yesterday. Now I must go in search of Serge Lutens Chergui.

Kumquat, love that toy boat. What a wonderful find.

Hednic, I never knew Omar Sharif had a perfume. Must also go find a sample of Ignis for hubby.

Read on Fragrantica this morning that Ralph Lauren is introducing yet another Romance something or other scent. Realized I could not remember what the first Romance was like so decided I will be wearing it today. It also seems appropriate since RL designed the outfits for the U.S. Olympic Team. Hope I still like it.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

El Attarine SL

Hello all! I'm in Iris D'Argent today. I'm finally getting a feel for what Iris is, I believe! I like this one. Why do I have such expensive tastes!?

30Roses, I do hope you get to feeling better soon. I've been feeling nauseated the last few days, it is dreary!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Jicky
    Enjoy the rest of the day!
    I hope you feel better soon, 30Roses and danieq.

Hi, everyone! Happy belated birthday, 30 Roses!!!

And sorry to hear you're under the weather - Clearly you need more birthday cake.

RHM, good for you with the healthier lifestyle!!! I think you look great under every circumstance, but I wish my weight loss efforts were going as successfully as yours. I'll keep at it!

In honor of the Olympics, I'm testing Le Labo Benjoin 19, exclusive to Russia, apparently based on the heat of love in Anna Karenina. It's lovely, though I am continually annoyed with Le Labo for their marketing tactics (partly because they work... sigh), and the exhorbitant price tags.I love Benjoin 19, but can't see myself ponying up for a bottle. Yet.

Benjoin 19 notes: Benzoin, olibanum, amber, cedar, and musks.
    Last edited by ComDiva; 8th February 2014 at 07:17 PM.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Guerlain Flora Nymphea, doesn't last very long on the skin though.

Erink, enjoy your Chanel!

Shades I watched a part of a Jayhawks game the other day, not into basketball much but I did watch a little..
    Last edited by kalli; 8th February 2014 at 07:42 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

SotD - Frapin 1270 by Frapin (from a sample)

Hello. I love reading Basenotes, so I thought I might join in. Of course, it feels a little like I'm crashing a party.

Over the last three months I've been mostly sampling a lot of new and new-to-me scents. Today, I felt the need for a rest, and for something comfortable and familiar. So today I'm wearing Chanel No. 5.

As much as I enjoy trying new things, the old standby really feels great, too.

danieq, hurray!!! I was wondering when you would take on iris. So glad to see you enjoying it! To celebrate your revelation, I have joined you in Iris d'Argent for my SOTE. Great choice - it is one of my favorites.

Big news in my family today: my little brother has gotten engaged! He proposed to his beloved this afternoon in a very romantic way and has gotten her a freakin' gorgeous rock. I have so many mixed emotions about it. Happiness (a muted sort of happiness), sadness, weirdness, envy,confusion. I've haven't met his fiancé yet. It just feels so strange...and I'm having a hard time not internalizing it and feeling like a depressing weirdo divorced spinster loser sister. I'm hoping it will all be easier once I meet her and see how happy they are.

Editing to welcome Mocha! You smell divine! Good smelling folks are always welcome in this party.
    Last edited by ErinK; 8th February 2014 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    Hello. I love reading Basenotes, so I thought I might join in. Of course, it feels a little like I'm crashing a party.

Over the last three months I've been mostly sampling a lot of new and new-to-me scents. Today, I felt the need for a rest, and for something comfortable and familiar. So today I'm wearing Chanel No. 5.

As much as I enjoy trying new things, the old standby really feels great, too.
    Welcome, Mocha - hope you enjoy being here

Blog Entries

Welcome to the party, Mocha!

(((Erin))) your time will come, just keep on spoiling yourself for now.

Mocha, the more souls the more fun!

ErinK, I found my dreamrabbit later on in life, but so worth it!
    Anyway, there's always cats...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FrouFrou; 8th February 2014 at 09:39 PM.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Hey y'all -

I'm in more roses for the remains of the day, but these are deep and dark and herbal and sultry, and *totally* the type FrouFrou would like; they're coming from Ungaro Diva, vintage 80s edp.

Have a great evening!

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    Evangeline... I know... I am deeply ashamed... I do look for your reviews, because when you like something, I know I will probably like it too!
    I am really starting to understand that it has to be dark, bitter, deep, and chypre.
    Otherwise I might like it, I might admire it, but it doesn't touch me to the depths of my soul. So I should not be tempted to buy something which isn't dark and chypre-ish.
    It also seems I am doomed to vintage...
    No need to be ashamed, Frou - I'm completely honored! Besides, if we can't get tips from one another what's the the point of hangin' out around here? I totally get where you're coming from - a good chypre can move me like nothing else, and unfortunately, vintage chypres are the *best*, period. ("Dreamrabbit" ...so freakin' cute. )

...my little brother has gotten engaged!...I have so many mixed emotions about it. Happiness (a muted sort of happiness), sadness, weirdness, envy,confusion. I've haven't met his fiancé yet. It just feels so strange...and I'm having a hard time not internalizing it and feeling like a depressing weirdo divorced spinster loser sister. I'm hoping it will all be easier once I meet her and see how happy they are.
    I think as long as happiness is in there somewhere, all those emotions are perfectly fine and valid - it's big, exciting news, the sort that tends to change things, forever. But don't let it make you feel bad about yourself - as teardrop said, your time *will* come. I suppose I felt much the same way when my brother announced his engagement (many years ago) ...but I already knew her, so I didn't feel too bad about being totally *bummed* while simultaneously being happy for him, lol (you can't like everyone ..and at least *I* don't have to live with her!) I was so sorry, btw, to read about your breakup. It felt that it was too late to mention it once I was back from our vacation, otherwise I would have said something earlier. Sending belated but hopefully still comforting hugs to (((you))), sweetie.

Welcome to basenotes, Mocha - I hope you stick around and have lots of fun with us.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 8th February 2014 at 10:02 PM. Reason: misc tweaks

Thank all of y'all for humoring my self-indulgent moping! Thank you for the sweet reminder, teardrop, and FrouFrou , LMAO at the cats! Perfect. When I first posted my little bit of news, I included a bit at the end like "I'll be OK - after all, I live in a country where I can vote and buy perfume and have cats...lots of cats..." but I deleted it cause I didn't want y'all to think I had gone totally over the edge. You read my mind! Evangeline, thank you for empathizing with me; it makes me feel better to know these feelings might be normal and don't mean I'm necessarily a wicked witch.

Evangeline, Diva sounds great. I'm going to have to seek out a bit. That's a great bottle, too.

Iris d'Argent was the right choice for my evening. The iris is comforting but strong and confident at the same time. It is quite fortifying.

Anyone else sort of nerdily excited about watching figure skating tonight?
    Last edited by ErinK; 8th February 2014 at 10:47 PM.

Thank all of y'all for humoring my self-indulgent moping! Thank you for the sweet reminder, teardrop, and FrouFrou , LMAO at the cats! Perfect. When I first posted my little bit of news, I included a bit at the end like "I'll be OK - after all, I live in a country where I can vote and buy perfume and have cats...lots of cats..." but I deleted it cause I didn't want y'all to think I had gone totally over the edge. You read my mind! Evangeline, thank you for empathizing with me; it makes me feel better to know these feelings might be normal and don't mean I'm necessarily a wicked witch.

Evangeline, Diva sounds great. I'm going to have to seek out a bit. That's a great bottle, too.

Iris d'Argent was the right choice for my evening. The iris is comforting but strong and confident at the same time. It is quite fortifying.

Anyone else sort of nerdily excited about watching figure skating tonight?
    Welcome Mocha! You smell wonderful No.5 is one of my favourites.

Frou Frou so adorable cats and ‘dreamrabbit’.

RHM well done! Smelling wonderful in jasmine too.

Danieq and ComDiva you know I’m going to be enabling you from afar.

ErinK No.19 is a beautiful choice, you make a awesome Valentines. We feel what we feel it’s not right or wrong it just is. Be kind to yourself, treat yourself well and know there are people who do think the world of you. Oh and a YES to the figure skating.

Lots of Eau de Cologne need a fresh citrus hit for a big run this morning.

Yes to the figureskating!

Yes... Diva has been looming over me. Actually I just found out that THE first Neiman Marcus, their very first store, is almost next door to me and I ahven't even been there! I plan to dress up decenly tomorrow and go and have a look, especially at the perfume counter Diva... will be on the list!

Xscent, ''dreamrabbit'' is PG Wodehouse!
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    Yes to the figureskating!

Yes... Diva has been looming over me. Actually I just found out that THE first Neiman Marcus, their very first store, is almost next door to me and I ahven't even been there! I plan to dress up decenly tomorrow and go and have a look, especially at the perfume counter Diva... will be on the list!

Xscent, ''dreamrabbit'' is PG Wodehouse!
    Frou Frou is it from The Code of the Woosters? I think I have some of his work somewhere in my library (currently in about a dozen or more moving boxes as the shelves are taking forever to fit!). I think I'm also doomed to seek vintage. Nothing quite compares. Hoping Wasser works some more magic, we may still have hope there.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hugs all around!

RHM, you inspire me.

I'm just sipping tea and eating Jello, but am on the mend. I've been looking at recorded Olympics and am also looking forward to watching the skating in a little while. Daughter enjoys the snowboarding.

I think it's in lots of his books, especially the Wooster books I think.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Purple Label by RL

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling B Never Too Busy To B Beautiful Ladyboy tonight.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell