Code of Conduct

Default Recent Trip to Saks

Stopped by Saks on the way home from work yesterday, here's a few things that happened:

1) I bought Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford. I think it's great. Love the way it develops. So much discussion over this one and how it's hard to pull off or you have to be a certain type of guy to wear it and I don't think it's any of that. It's pretty easy to wear, and as long as you're not dressed like a slob I think anyone who likes the way it smells should be able to pull it off no problem. You should probably be at least 21 though. I gotta give credit to remik for his excellent reviews and advice regarding this one.

2) Its resemblance to cocaine is uncanny. It smells exactly like coke in the opening. Especially on a test strip. Ford must have known this and had a couple laughs about it. If you're a recovering addict, stay away from this. You will relapse.

3) Experience with the SA was nice. Although she first brought me over to the Gucci section, I was impressed when the first Gucci she recommended was actually Gucci Pour Homme 2. I immediately liked her. I talked to her a little bit about Gucci Pour Homme 1 and once she realized I knew my stuff she said, "Okay, well you obviously know what you're doing so I'll let you walk around by yourself and if you need anything just ask. I don't want to smother you." Really? That was a first!

4) Green Irish Tweed….Where have you been all my life? I think every bottle of GIT I've ever tried has been a fake or messed up, because I've never liked it or found it anything more than average. I bought a bottle on eBay a while ago that I never liked. I had a small decant of it that didn't impress either. But the GIT I tested in the store yesterday was amazing. I've had it on a test strip in my house and can't stop smelling it. The smell has held for over 12 hours and stays fresh. I think I'll be going back for a bottle…yes, an expensive full retail bottle…but I'm tired of worrying about fakes and shitty stock. This was the first time I've ever smelled GIT and it reflected all the glowing praise I've read so many times before.

5) I talked to the SA about counterfeits. She said they're getting so good at them that people buy them, take the real one out of the box, replace it with a counterfeit, and then return it. She said this happens most often with Bond No. 9. Interesting, because out of all bottles it seems like those would be some of the hardest to fake.

6) I tested Pasha Noire by Cartier. Luckily, I had enough sense to let it sit on the strip for a few hours before making a final judgment, because the opening is actually really nice. It opens with a fresh, sweet amber that's a tiny bit spicy and seems to have a cool, clean, almost minty/green quality. It's fresh, but somehow feels like a night out type of frag. The SA really liked it, and I was considering it, however it gets pretty boring in the dry down. After about an hour it fades into a kind of generic, anonymous, "mall" scent with an unremarkable amber/woody/whatever base. Not bad though, and I didn't find it to be a La Nuit knock off or anything--not very similar at all. I like it a lot more than the original Pasha.

7) Also tested Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford. Nice…though I'm not sure if it's worth the price. Obviously smoother and brighter than Mugler Cologne, but overall similar in style. So I do think it's better than those to which it's often compared (such as 4711), but $175 better, I'm not so sure. I think I could live without it.

Default Re: Recent Trip to Saks

Very nice description - I feel like I was there. Congratulations on your Tuscan Leather purchase. I've been dying to re-sniff the Tom Fords so I think I'll do that.

Seemed like you had a very fruitful visit to Saks and came away with a winner for yourself. Congrats!

(3944)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Very nice description - I feel like I was there. Congratulations on your Tuscan Leather purchase. I've been dying to re-sniff the Tom Fords so I think I'll do that.
    Thanks. I really like the way Saks has their Tom Fords set up. They have every available Private Blend lined up as 50 ml testers in a coffret on the counter with a ton of test strips in the middle. It's very easy to test them without having to bother an SA every time you want to try something and you're pretty much left alone to do as you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Seemed like you had a very fruitful visit to Saks and came away with a winner for yourself. Congrats!

(3944)
    Fruitful, but man is that place dangerous…

So much temptation in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Fruitful, but man is that place dangerous…

So much temptation in one place.
    Amen to that.

Tuscan Leather did not work for me, but glad you like it.

How do you know what cocaine smells like? Hmmmmm...

J/k! Congrats on your purchase BB!! It's refreshing to hear a positive SA experience.

Enjoy...one of my favorites.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    How do you know what cocaine smells like? Hmmmmm...

J/k! Congrats on your purchase BB!! It's refreshing to hear a positive SA experience.

It was refreshing to have one!

I have a hard time walking out of Saks without damaging my credit card a little too. Glad you picked up some good stuff though! I still have not pulled the trigger on TL, but may pick this one up sooner or later.

I agree with your Creed experience. I bet opinions would be much more consistent if there were no such thing as a grey market for fragrances.

Thank you for sharing this. Tuscan Leather is unique and very enjoyable.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have had a decant of TL for months and have not used it..
    It will be my SOTD hopefully tomorrow..
    Congrats on your purchase..

Blog Entries

Nice report!!!

Yes - real GIT is amazing stuff. Glad you got to smell it.

Interesting about the fake Bonds coming back. What that tells me is that the "loud" bottles are not getting a close look from people. Small defects don't stand out, and the counterfeiters have gravitated to them.

Saks has great SAs. Indistinguishable from people on here, to be quite frank. They know their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I have a hard time walking out of Saks without damaging my credit card a little too. Glad you picked up some good stuff though! I still have not pulled the trigger on TL, but may pick this one up sooner or later.

I agree with your Creed experience. I bet opinions would be much more consistent if there were no such thing as a grey market for fragrances.
    Yeah, the gray market's definitely losing its appeal to me. Especially since I'm making less purchases and want to make sure I get the best quality I can when I do buy stuff. This experience with GIT was a real eye-opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    I have had a decant of TL for months and have not used it..
    It will be my SOTD hopefully tomorrow..
    Congrats on your purchase..
    Thanks, Tony. I think you'll like Tuscan Leather. You seem to have pretty diverse tastes and I haven't come across anything that smells like this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Nice report!!!

Yes - real GIT is amazing stuff. Glad you got to smell it.

Interesting about the fake Bonds coming back. What that tells me is that the "loud" bottles are not getting a close look from people. Small defects don't stand out, and the counterfeiters have gravitated to them.

Saks has great SAs. Indistinguishable from people on here, to be quite frank. They know their stuff.

That makes sense. It's like the immediate impression reflects the real thing so as long as its got that wacky shape and whatever artistic design happens to be on the bottle why bother inspecting the finer details like the construction of the atomizer and cap.

I want that Huddler feature back where you can just reply to multiple people in one post. This just feels greedy.

2) Its resemblance to cocaine is uncanny. It smells exactly like coke in the opening. Especially on a test strip. Ford must have known this and had a couple laughs about it. If you're a recovering addict, stay away from this. You will relapse.
    Yes, it absolutely smells like cocaine. Identical. I had an SA actually say that the Private Blends all remind Tom Ford of some point/place in his life, and this one is from his 'younger party days' lol.

Basenotes Junkie

Fabulous write up Dave, had me chuckling in a few places! Thumbs up pal! Looks like I will be going to my local Saks soon..
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior Privee, Chanel Exclusif, Creed, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, MOLECULE 01
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Basenotes Plus

1) I bought Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford. I think it's great. Love the way it develops. So much discussion over this one and how it's hard to pull off or you have to be a certain type of guy to wear it and I don't think it's any of that. It's pretty easy to wear, and as long as you're not dressed like a slob I think anyone who likes the way it smells should be able to pull it off no problem. You should probably be at least 21 though. I gotta give credit to remik for his excellent reviews and advice regarding this one.

Congrats on your purchase, and you're welcome! :-) (thanks for your PM the other day, BTW)

I can honestly say I've never done any drugs before, but if TL does smell "exactly like coke" - that is crazy dangerous comparison, LOL!!! I'll try to stick to just TL and not venture into that other way of getting my olfactory fix. ;-) But at least now I know if I ever come across, let's say, flour, on a counter or a mirror, neatly cut into lines, I'll be able to tell if it's the real thing or not. (and if it's not, I'll blame it on batch inconsistencies)

Tuscan Leather and Green Irish Tweed. Two of my favorites. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Sounds like a great experience. I'll be hitting Saks on Wednesday with the fiancÚ. I promised myself I would give By Kilian another chance, and try out the D&G Velvet line.

Odd about the GIT. I've honestly never smelled any difference in any Creed I've regardless of year or place purchased. I don't have much experience in the way of the grey market stuff except for my brother in laws Originap Veriver and Royal Oud he bought off Fragrancenet. They smell identical to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by willyb View Post
    Fabulous write up Dave, had me chuckling in a few places! Thumbs up pal! Looks like I will be going to my local Saks soon..

Lol…thanks Willy. It's a lot of fun there, I think you'll have a good time.

Anyway….UPDATE:

I went back today to pick up a bottle of Green Irish Tweed.

This time I was helped by a different SA, also really cool.

I asked him if he had any samples of Neroli Sauvage or Erolfa and I got hooked up! The SA proceeded to fill what looks like a 20 ml decant with Erolfa and then a smaller 3 ml decant with Neroli Sauvage.

I think Erolfa smells great (I had never tried it before), and we were talking about how it's kind of underrated considering the others that receive so much attention. He also recommended blending it with GIT (even after saying, "Now I know we're NEVER supposed to do this, but this combination really works), and it actually smelled pretty good. I'm going to try it out at some point to see how they blend on skin.

Anyway, it was cool. The SA was a huge Creed fan, and it's refreshing to talk to people behind a fragrance counter that are excited about what they're selling. It makes the entire experience much more appealing.

And except for telling me that Oud originally came from baby whale placentas, the guy really knew his stuff.

Basenotes Plus

And except for telling me that Oud originally came from baby whale placentas, the guy really knew his stuff.
    Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!! That's too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!! That's too funny.

It was hard to keep from laughing.

I kind of bit my lower lip.

Congrats on the TL. Good choice BB.

4) Green Irish Tweed….Where have you been all my life? I think every bottle of GIT I've ever tried has been a fake or messed up, because I've never liked it or found it anything more than average. I bought a bottle on eBay a while ago that I never liked. I had a small decant of it that didn't impress either. But the GIT I tested in the store yesterday was amazing. I've had it on a test strip in my house and can't stop smelling it. The smell has held for over 12 hours and stays fresh. I think I'll be going back for a bottle…yes, an expensive full retail bottle…but I'm tired of worrying about fakes and shitty stock. This was the first time I've ever smelled GIT and it reflected all the glowing praise I've read so many times before.

Some don't realize that their cheapness precludes them from enjoying great fragrances.
    Last edited by Flatbush Ave; 13th February 2014 at 03:31 AM.

Great choice on the Tuscan leather. Never heard the cocaine reference, but next time I go to Sak's I'll have to do a line or two. Always have great experiences there when either buying or just sampling. My local Sak's is attached to a mall which when you look out the exit of Sak's you can see a Hermes, Tiffany, and Rolex. One of these days I'll make enough money to buy a leather keychain from the Hermes store. I'd have to sell my car to afford the wallet.

Saks has closed down in Tampa, FL....Kinda sucks...The only one we have near central Florida now is in Orlando...
    Looking for Byredo Pulp -

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Saks has closed down in Tampa, FL....Kinda sucks...The only one we have near central Florida now is in Orlando...
    Come down my way. There's one at the Waterside shop in Naples and Bell Tower in Fort Myers.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Come down my way. There's one at the Waterside shop in Naples and Bell Tower in Fort Myers.
    Cool ! I've been down there few times....Love that area...My family usually takes our Summer Vacation down there near San Pedro Island...
    Looking for Byredo Pulp -

Sounds like you had a great experience! I love Saks and have always had nothing but outstanding customer service in the fragrance department in the Phoenix store.