Code of Conduct

Default Now what, the search for a new genre

My husband has never been a big wearer of fragrance, however, he owns several bottles that he's worn occasionally over the years. However, he's recently discovered/realized that he doesn't actually like any of those that he owns.

Polo Green is the first and I can't stand that one. I think it's an association from my past that I can't quite nail down. At any rate, that is out.

Obsession for Men (this has always been my favorite) but he's discovered that Amber really bothers him. So no more amber can be worn by him.

So I need to find something that he will like in a completely different genre.

Here's the trouble, he enjoys fresh, aquatic scents. I despise those. I also can't stand green frags. The trouble is that my favorite genre is Orientals which are dominated by Amber.

He did say that leather and woodsy seems like a good place to start.

Finally, he hates to spend $$ on most anything, in particular fragrance isn't something he even cares about. But I'd like him to have something to wear occasionally for dates and such.

So I'm looking for ideas of where to start.

Default Re: Now what, the search for a new genre

Try Fahrenheit. The Violet/orange combo will keep him in fresh arena grounds, while the leather makes things much more interesting.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

I also despise the chemical aquatics and "fresh" scents.

I'd consider looking into avant-garde stuff like CdG's Standard and EdP which are sort of brisk but also unusual. You might also want to consider Kinski which has a very bright, invigorating opening note with some interesting woody musks. I'd sample it first, but don't let some of the more reactionary reviews put you off.

You might also want to check out some vetivers such as Encre Noir, Sel de Vetiver, Puredistance Black etc.

If you're going to venture into vetivers, Givenchy Vetyver is an inexpensive way to see if this might be for him.

(3946)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Ah, another update needed. I don't much care for Vetiver, well, not a strong element. A supporting role is fine, but I haven't enjoyed those that are heavy in this area.

But I do love Puredistance Black, is that Vetiver heavy?
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    But I do love Puredistance Black, is that Vetiver heavy?
    It's definitely got vetiver running through it, but I think it's more tobacco than anything else.

I recommend Royal Oud by Creed (if you're not an oud fan, don't worry, it's barely there).

Basenotes Plus

I would recommend Hommage a l' Homme by Lalique, a pleasant fresh spicy violet/oud with average projection and decent longevity. Actually it's my scent of the day today and still love it as much as the first time I wore it. The glass bottle is cool too. A minor drawback might be the longevity problem for people with dry skin, if that the case then just spray more. It's a safe scent and can be boring for us Basenoters but very pleasant and compliment getters.

Basenotes Plus

Well I hate to say this, but you may want to either bring him to the Creed counter or go there yourself and bring him home some samples. Original Vetiver, Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, Millesime Imperial, Virgin Island Water, Original Santal and of course Aventus. These are all rather good safe scents that he may like, and best of all, they are all available from discounters.

Comme des Garcons 2 Man or ADG Essenza would both be great choices. IMO the Essenza version of ADG is a fresh acquatic, however, it's done really well...the additional notes really make this version much better than the original. Also, Comme des Garcons Incense Series is nice..possibly Zagorsk (cold incense/pine) or Ouarzazate (warm/spicy incense and woods.)
    Last edited by rynegne; 8th February 2014 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Well I hate to say this, but you may want to either bring him to the Creed counter or go there yourself and bring him home some samples. Original Vetiver, Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, Millesime Imperial, Virgin Island Water, Original Santal and of course Aventus. These are all rather good safe scents that he may like, and best of all, they are all available from discounters.
    You're making me laugh! But you may be exactly right.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

I strongly dislike aquatics too. The two aquatics I admire, though not quite love, are Le Labo Neroli and Malle Lys Mediterranee. Sadly, they definitely fall into the $$$$ category.

I love vetivers, as others have suggested, but vetiver does smell a touch green, so if you don't like green, that's out. Not much remains in fresh territory, citruses beeing too fleety. How about Lush Dirty? Minty, herbal, it has a vague beachy, but not aquatic, feel. It comes also as an inexpensive body spray. It's not a special occasion frag, but will work for everyday freshness.

With leather and woods you have to be careful because they often accompany themselves to ambers. How about Chanel Egoiste? (the regular one, not platinum) It will certainly satisfy your orientalistic tendencies, being an offspring of Bois des Isles. I don't detect too much amber, more smooth woods, but it risks going into dangerous territory.for him. but worth trying.

I also second the idea of some incenses, if they don't have ambers. CDG2 man is both incensy and fresh, so it may work.

cacio

Well, if he is looking to keep the price down, perhaps John Varvatos for Men, or John Varvatos Vintage. I think those are both excellent, and avoid almost all the pitfalls mentioned (no vetiver, aqcuatic notes, amber, etc). Also, Vince Camuto for Men is an option.

Ease him in with cedarwood.

I'd have said sandalwood but its too fragrant.

Cedarwood balances aromatic & woody/masculine just right.

for swap/sale:

Perhaps Acqua di Parma Colonia? Not inexpensive though.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Aigner Black- Which is basically Armani Code with a soft leather drydown- $40 for 4.2 oz

Woody - DSquared Rocky Mountain is around the same price..

Chopard Noble Vetiver
    Very fresh vetiver good for spring and summer; also inexpensive.
    And the bottle is an work of art...

Last edited by Daianmixx; 9th February 2014 at 07:12 AM.

Everlast Original 1910 has clear leather and wood, no amber, and is nothing like Polo. Decent quality ingredients and it's really inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Well, if he is looking to keep the price down, perhaps John Varvatos for Men, or John Varvatos Vintage. I think those are both excellent, and avoid almost all the pitfalls mentioned (no vetiver, aqcuatic notes, amber, etc). Also, Vince Camuto for Men is an option.
    +1. These are some solid choices.

Regards,

TC
    The Colognnoisseur
    Omaha, NE
    USA

Seconding especially ADP Colonia, Noble Vetiver and Creed GIT. A few other possible suggestions: Mugler Cologne, Acca Kappa Cedro, YSL Live Jazz, Zara Cedarwood, Cartier Roadster and Guerlain Homme Eau Boisee.

What about Penhaligans Sartorial? Its a nice metallic lavender upfront which is very fresh and adds a soft leather later on. The price is good and the performance is even better. The metallic note may put him off though.

How about getting him a sample of Bleu de Chanel from Sephora or Nordstrom? It has some "fresh" qualities but regardless of the name it's not an aquatic by any means. It also checks the woods box, so it might work for both of you.

YSL Rive gauche pour homme (in the can version) is what he needs.

Clean? Check.
    Safe? Check.
    Classy? Check.
    Inexpensive? Check.
    Manly and badass? Check.

It is not "fresh" but it is clean in a sort of barbasol / updated version of an old school shaving scent way.

A less challenging take on the fougere genre than Penhaligon's Sartorial, which is also great.

Others you might try are those that "seem" like aquatics to some noses at first but really aren't such as:

Bleu de Chanel
    and the recent Dior homme eau for men

Another recommendation for Fahrenheit and Comme des Garcons 2 Man -- both great, distinctive, but pretty easy to like. I'll also add the wonderful Dior Homme (the original EDT), which is a classy and very amiable combination of lavender, iris, light leather, and cacao.

Wow, you all are a real wealth of ideas! thanks, lots to try here!

Mr. Blass by Bill Blass. Not expensive , but not cheap in terms of quality. Leather, woods. Mans scent. No need for 10 sprays. A bottle will last a a lifetime , with some leftover for the grand kids to enjoy. Buy it.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

What about Carbone D Balmain?

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    But I'd like him to have something to wear occasionally for dates and such.
    I am impressed that you allow your husband to go on dates. If only more people were as broad-minded.

Blog Entries

How do you feel about gourmands? Parfumerie Generale- Aomassai, Frapin-1270 ​are a couple to try.

Or what about a sexy iris? MPG- Iris Bleu Gris is so lovely.
    Last edited by kumquat; 11th February 2014 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo Lapin X View Post
    I am impressed that you allow your husband to go on dates. If only more people were as broad-minded.
    Nice......lol