Code of Conduct

Default Are the Tom Ford exclusives worth the money?

Hi again girls and guys!

I'm curious to know if the Tom Ford private collection fragrances are worth exploring. I'm a confirmed Dior, Mugler and an older classic YSL addict.

I walked past the TF counter today in search of Dior's Vetiver, which I got and am very happy for it. I have Dior's Leather Oud, and many of the others from the designer collection - Dune (parfum ), Dune Pour Homme, Poison, Hypnotic Poison EDT (older version) and Elixir, Addict EDP (original) and Homme Intense (vintage). Also used to have Midnight Poison (which I hear is about to be discontinued).

My YSL ones are M7 (very vintage ), Opium PH EDT and EDP, Opium EDP and EDT (older bottles), Nu EDP (vintage), Kouros (silver collar) and Rive Gauche EDT (vintage) and Intense.

The Muglers are Angel, Amen, Pure Havana, Bmen, Alien EDP and Intense, and Womanity.

Would the Tom Ford's exclusives be a worthwhile addition that I should consider? I have Black Orchid (which I ADORE) and used to have the Voile de Fleur. I'm particularly interested in Sahara Noir and Tobacco Vanille.

Comparing the price of TF 50ml's vs. the Dior exclusives, the Dior seems to be the better ones in terms of value for money... And Dior has always been quality for the money I paid - 5 sprays of Addict and the world keeps complimenting

Please share your views

Default Re: Are the Tom Ford exclusives worth the money?

You should smell them and decide for yourself. Personally I love the line.

Yes, No, maybe...the only way to really know is to sample and or test on your skin. We can give you resounding answers, but if it doesn't work on you or for your nose our opinions mean little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, check them out. Stop by the store and see if you can get some samples.

There should be a bunch of threads on this subject lurking around, alongside a ton of reviews of this line. I'm a little outside the norm here in that I find most of the recent releases to vacillate between sub-par and quite bad, but I'd strongly recommend a few of the older ones like Amber Absolute, Bois Marrocain, Purple Patchouli, Japon Noir and Moss Breches. All of those were unique, high quality, and innovative and should be available on eBay and whatnot.

With that said, the only ones from the past few years that I find worthwhile are Noir de Noir, Santal Blush, and Italian Cypress. The new Tobacco Oud was fairly solid, but aside from that, the line's been consistently mediocre at best. Sahara Noir isn't one of the private blends, but it's one of the best scents produced in recent years and absolutely worth checking out. And I'm in the minority with this, but Tobacco Vanille is the stuff of nightmares -- but then again, so's Black Orchid, so take that into consideration too

Have fun exploring as it's an extensive collection.

There are some good ones out there but they have also phased out some that I liked. From the regular line the Voile de Fleur was superb, as was Jasmine Musk from the private range.

As for value for money I personally think there are too many sweet deals not to ignore on eBay. TF seem to give out thousands of testers to their reps so if there's something you like, chances are they're online at a huge discount. I personally would never pay TF retail prices.

I'm a fan, but in my opinion, no. Few of them are worth what has become the extortionate retail price.

Not a fan of any but has been mentioned, try them out and judge them for yourself.

(3952)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Well speaking specifically of the discontinued releases, i don't think any are worth hunting down and paying the ridiculous prices i've seen.

Amber Absolute is probably the nicest, but its also the one that smells most similar to a bunch of other perfumes available by other houses, and Tom Ford even. Is it worth $250-300 for 50ML? In my opinion HELL no. I've collected the entire line, and i can tell you that if i ever run out, i won't be buying another. And that goes double for the others, although i do have an extra gallon sized refill bottle of bois rouge so i think that would be difficult lol.

I would just go to a store and see what you can buy today. There are many great perfumes i think you will connect with.

Thanks everyone for the responses!! Much food for thought

With the stuff I got in my wardrobe I'm just wondering would TF make a difference? I understand and appreciate the feedback about testing it for myself, which is what I usually do. The TF ones are a challenge though as it's not easily accessible...which is why I'm hoping to get some feedback from my trusted community
    Last edited by jellybean1973; 8th February 2014 at 10:12 PM.

I only dig oud wood , Plum japonais and TL from privee line, the rest are a pass and don't rock or heighten or peak my interest and as of buying the bottle a full price ofcourse not but have gotten 50mls via split at half msrp price , so at that price YES they're worth it.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean1973 View Post
    With the stuff I got in my wardrobe I'm just wondering would TF make a difference?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "make a difference" ...make a difference in what?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I glanced at your collection, and i'm not familiar with a good amount. You seem to be a big fan of the retro powerhouse scents from yesteryear, which i am not. So best i can say is of the ones i know, which is basically mid 80's to present, there are many Tom Ford perfumes that would fit in nicely.

Count me as a fan of the Tom Ford line. That being said I do not like all of them, some I think are beautiful but not for me. There are three I really like after testing them. The polarizing Tuscan Leather, Italian Cypress and Oud Wood. You may find you really like the line or you may discover they are not for you. The prevailing good advice on this thread is try them if you can. I understand now how hard it is to sample sometimes since I left NY. As for paying for price, there are usually splits going on for Tom Ford here from a bunch of very reputable people. Don't rush, sample.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

I think that TF is one of the few designers who does pay attention to perfumes, and the line overall is well thought and interesting. And yet, I think he simply gets too many things out, I cannot help but feel that many of the perfumes could have been much better had they gone through more editing, so to speak. There are many interesting ideas, but sometimes they feel short of a true masterpiece that would justify the sky high prices.

But some are indeed nice. Sahara Noir is certainly worth sampling. Our Middle Eastern BNers say that it smells exactly like burnt frankincense. Marvellous and quite unique.

cacio

I got samples of the tomford exclusive line and for me not worth the asking price. With the price they are asking, I am looking to better than designer mass market offering. What I am smelling from the line are slightly better smelling common mall fragrances priced 3X the retail price to get a satisfaction of exclusivity.

It is sad, a lot of designer houses are using the strategy of creed and bond no 9, create mass market fragrances that will appeal to everyone and price them 3X the common mall fragrance. Then people will think twice about what are they smelling since it is so EXPENSIVE. tsk tsk tsk

I think the line is absolutely worth investigating.

These are all excellent (and still not discontinued):
    Tobacco Vanille
    Noir de Noir
    Plum Japonais
    Rive d'Ombre
    Neroli Portofino
    Cafe Rose

You may not love everything, but it's very likely you will find a few things that captivate you.

In my opinion other than Oud wood and white suede others are all ok. Worth the price is something very objective.

The initial stuff, from around 2006 was good. Really solid stuff like Purple Patchouli (long gone now), Oud Wood & Tuscan Leather.

Then lots of poor ones followed by a few really good ones.

The whole Musk, Atelier d'Orient & Jardin Noir were barely ok but not FBW.
    But in between there were superb ones like Violet Blond, Santal Blush and Sahara Noir.

It feels like hes pumping mediocre to poor things out to maintain presence in the market but maintaining integrity with a few good ones here and there.

Its ok with me. If I find thats hes made a good one I'll buy, otherwise I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

But some are indeed nice. Sahara Noir is certainly worth sampling. Our Middle Eastern BNers say that it smells exactly like burnt frankincense. Marvellous and quite unique.

cacio
    Yes indeed.

for swap/sale:

I think they're a little overpriced, but I'm a huge fan of the Private Blend line. Some of my favorite fragrances. Amber Absolute, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir and Moss Breches are really nice. There are several more I enjoy too.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Amber Absolute is a classic..
    Japon Noir is wonderful..
    TV as well..
    As far as price it equals out as 1-2 sprays are enough to lasts throughout the majority of the day..
    Those are my 3 favs..
    I would stay away from TF Noir and a few others mentioned..

Tom Ford's are worth the money for me because they have a certain style that works well with my taste in fragrance. They also last 12 plus hours. Like others have said, if they suit you they are worth it.

Yet to find one I would pay money for. The line strikes me as almost cynically commercial - front loaded 'instant appeal' with not much to back them up.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Yet to find one I would pay money for. The line strikes me as almost cynically commercial - front loaded 'instant appeal' with not much to back them up.
    That's about it.

Haven't found one I can leave on my skin for more than two hours. Latest was Tuscan Leather. Horrible stuff. I can buy vintage Halston Z-14 for less than $20. It's a hundred times better than Italian Cypress. Tom Ford fragrances truly suck. Blatantly synthetic without the style of a Comme des Garcons, etc. As mr reasonable said, "cynically commercial".
    Last edited by pluran; 9th February 2014 at 05:45 AM.

"Worth the money" is very relative. To me, I do find them pretty expensive and for the ones I really enjoy, I would just partake in a split or get at a discount from ebay (from a very trusted seller). I wouldn't buy at retail.

I've been underwhelmed with the Private Blends of the past few years. The original Private Blends were great though: Oud Wood, Tobacco Vanille, Italian Cypress, Noir de Noir, Amber Absolute, Tuscan Leather, etc. They were more edgy, unique, and the house was willing to take risks. The recent Private Blends seem more "mainstream" and unoriginal.
    Last edited by CaliDude; 9th February 2014 at 06:21 AM.

They are worth the money you'd spend on a split.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...Ess-de-Cerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Whilst I own and enjoy several (TV/TL/Noir de Noir/Oud Wood), I'd say that whilst enjoyable, you're still paying the premium for the Tom Ford name, rather than the scent itself.

Overall I feel that the Private Blends are a great example of "luxury" which is more about the experience of paying a high price for a brand, and for the experience of "luxury," than for something that actually is rare, excellent, and substantial. In a word, they're a bit crass and pretentious (is it just me, or does truly understanding the Tom Ford brand involve doing a lot of cocaine and working in finance?). In any event, they're not all bad, though the good ones are overpriced.

The Exclusives fare a bit better. For what it's worth, Sahara Noir is the only Tom Ford I've actually bought to date. It's an exception to all the above; focused, well-executed, and of very high-quality materials. A great celebration of frankincense, and quite unpretentious in its straightforward excellence.

In a a word, no! My single most regretted purchase is a bottle of Plum Japonaise. A waste of over $200 for 50mL of a good scent that lacks staying power. I should have searched out a bottle of Bond's Andy Warhol instead which smells so similar that it seems Tom Ford copied it in every way except for staying power, and charged twice as much for his name. But, this one taught me a lesson. Never buy anything based on first impressions. If I could sell the bottle and not take a loss I would, but as it is every time I look at it I will remember to never buy anything until after testing it several times.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    In a a word, no! My single most regretted purchase is a bottle of Plum Japonaise. A waste of over $200 for 50mL of a good scent that lacks staying power. I should have searched out a bottle of Bond's Andy Warhol instead which smells so similar that it seems Tom Ford copied it in every way except for staying power, and charged twice as much for his name. But, this one taught me a lesson. Never buy anything based on first impressions. If I could sell the bottle and not take a loss I would, but as it is every time I look at it I will remember to never buy anything until after testing it several times.
    Crazy town! I get insane longevity from Plum Japonais! It's 12+ hours of projection, half of that it's projection VERY well. After 12 hours close to skin.

I love PJ

I suggest you sample Andy Warhol then if you can find it since it is now discontinued. I bet you would really love it!
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I suggest you sample Andy Warhol then if you can find it since it is now discontinued. I bet you would really love it!
    You talking about the face bottle? I have a bottle I bought not too long ago. I honestly don't find it to be a copy of PJ. It does have plum, but it's also got amped up vanilla that I wish it didn't. I prefer PJ by a long shot!

edit: maybe try just 1 or 2 sprays of PJ? Its pretty strong imo, so maybe you just don't smell it after a while.

I think Gold Leather by Atelier Cologne is better than both for a plum scent! With Serge Lutens Feminite Du Bois #2. Then PJ #3. I love plummy perfumes.
    Last edited by aphexacid; 9th February 2014 at 09:57 AM.

I am glad you enjoy the Plum Japonaise so much! I wish I shared your enthusiam for it because I liked it enough to buy a bottle too. Sadly, it is my only expensive bottle on my swap list. I deeply regret the purchase and feel it is redundant in my collection, way over priced and lacks longevity for me becoming a skin scent in about an hour or so. I am a plum junkie and like almost anything with plum. This one falls way behind Bond's Andy Warhol, Frank #2 and Montale's Dark Purple. I will do a side by side today and report my conclusions in a day. I need to do this again anyway since my last side by side was a few months ago, and before I decide with certainty to get rid of the Plum Japonais. Might consider trading it for another bottle of Sahara Noir before it becomes unavailable. Sahara Noir...now that one is an epic release. Perhaps the best Tom Ford has made in a very long time.

Edit:
    I did test these, Andy Warhol on my left arm and Plum Japonais on my right. And I must change my view of Plum Japonais. Both lasted a solid 12 hours. The top notes of each is very close to identical, mostly a delicious plum. In the middle there were differences but to my nose the differences were minimal. Andy was indeed sweeter with a lovely vanilla quite noticable with a touch of something that seemed like incense moderating the vanilla slightly. Plum Japonais had some vanilla too but seemed drier and more incensy. In the base the two again seemed again very similar. I can not judge the sillage of either because I was in a cloud of both scents. I do still feel that these two are very similar; some might call Plum Japonais a clone of Andy Warhol and I would not argue against that opinion. At the very least these two share the same DNA and may not be clones but are at very least siblings. I still prefer Andy Warhol to the Tom Ford. I like the slightly sweeter mid of Andy, and the price was better. Perhaps with price aside (and given that Andy Warhol is now discontinued) I could choose either one and be happy.
    Last edited by Akahina; 11th February 2014 at 02:58 AM. Reason: updated after testing.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Might consider trading it for another bottle of Sahara Noir before it becomes unavailable. Sahara Noir...now that one is an epic release. Perhaps the best Tom Ford has made in a very long time.
    You know, i still don't know what to think about this. I know deadidol and maybe someone else mentioned that they 'heard' its falling back to a middle east exclusive. I had 2 bottles already, and hearing that made me go buy a 3rd. However, i can't find even one SA tell me they've heard any news about it going away. In fact, they say its selling like crazy. when i bought my first 2 bottles, i had to go to 2 different stores because the first store only had the 1 i bought in stock. Thats kind of what made me believe in that it was going away, but then the next week, it was replenished. So i don't know. I say, if you like it, buy it! I'm definitely happy i have more than enough now.
    i heartily agree its the best recent TF. Next would be Oud Fleur.

The only Tom Ford private line I've tried so far is Noir de Noir. Given all the hype and good words it received then and still receives today, it turned out smelling like a shameless copy of Bond no 9's West Side. I reluctant to sample anything from the line since then, I guess 1st impression is key and I cannot say my 1st impression with Noir de Noir is anything positive

Based on my limited testing experiences so far, I'd say yes. There wasn't a single one to disappoint me in terms of longevity, notes, balance, smoothness combined with strength yet.

The TF Private Blends are way overpriced and you can find comparable alternatives for a much cheaper price.

The dry down of Italian Cypress is almost identical to Halston Z-14, especially the vintage version. So, $290 vs $15? A close substitute for Neroli Portofino is 4711. While 4711 has sillage and longevity issues and is more citrusy in the opening, there's a strong resemblance to Neroli Portofino and you can afford to buy 400 ml bottles of the 4711 that will last forever. A 400 ml bottle of 4711 can be had for $50 or less, where that same amount of Neroli Portofino would cost several hundred dollars.

As I disclaimer, I have owned Oud Wood and currently own Neroli Portofino. When I first started getting more interested in fragrances, I did buy Oud Wood at full retail. It's not a bad fragrance but I didn't wear it much and in retrospect, the fragrance doesn't deserve the price they're asking. $290 for a synthetic Oud blend? I could buy a 3ml vial of pure oud from Ensar or Agar oud for that. Anyway, I ended up selling the bottle that was about 80% full on Ebay for $175, so luckily, I ended up getting a good portion of my money back.

I'm a fan of fresh, clean scents and Neroli Portofino is an excellent scent to me but I refuse to pay full retail for it. A 50ml retail is $210. A couple of weeks ago, I was able to buy a 50ml that was 80-85% full off of Ebay for $88.(it's absolutely authentic) It was pricey but it was a good enough price where I was ok spending that for it. Still, I think it's overpriced in comparison to something like Mugler Cologne, which, in my opinion is probably the best Neroli scent on the market. I paid $89 for the 10.1 oz size of Mugler Cologne, retail.

As always, it's what you want. If you think it's worth spending the cash to pay retail for a TF private blend, by all means do so. You have one life to live, make yourself happy.
    Last edited by steve0580; 9th February 2014 at 05:10 PM.

Basenotes Plus

The line is worth investigating. It's one of a few lines I would probably collect most if not all scents. I don't have to love all their scents but that's just me.

Top Tip.

If you're in the UK...

Keep an eye on Kron's splits. I've had a bunch of TF stuff from him, and I'm very happy.

See here -

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/371...d-amp-Tom-Ford

If you're not going to wear it regularly just buy a small decant off ebay.

~5 ml will cost you abou $20-30 which is very affordable and with Tom Ford's private blend (they're all EDP) you only need one or two sprays and that will last you the whole day. So without wearing it every day, it will last you a few weeks probably. Long enough to judge whether you want to splurge on a bottle.

That being said there's no accounting for personal preference. Tom Ford especially seems to be one of those designers that people either love or hate with little room for in between.

THAT being said, whilst relatively new to the perfume game, i can say that some of his fragrances are some of the highest quality (to my nose). Compare Tobacco Vanille's vanilla to some other vanilla scents and you'll see the difference. Opinions on this vary, but that's my 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGee View Post
    ~5 ml will cost you abou $20-30
    Or you can just go down to your local dealer and ask for a sample. They're almost 5ML. It's free.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Or you can just go down to your local dealer and ask for a sample. They're almost 5ML. It's free.
    Seeing as he's in Cape Town and not The US, he might have a more similar experience to me, in that next to NOBODY stocks Tom Ford fragrances here. Those that do have a very limited range and can SOMETIMES get you others but only by special order and thus cannot give you a free sample.

You Americans don't know how lucky you have it :P

Great line. I have tried a few of them. The only one I own is Neroli Portifino. Great for spring and summer.

Basenotes Plus

I also think it's a great line. Check it out - you just might find something you really like.

You may also find another similar fragrance that may cost less.

IMO, they are all well made. I personally dont think that they are worth the price however. The only one that continues to capture my attention is Noir de Noir. By comparison this one has alot more going for it than the others that I have tried: Italian Cypress, Oud Wood, Neroli Portofino, Tobacco Vanille, Amber Absolute, and Tuscan Leather. Keep in mind though, that they were designed to be layered with one another. For that reason, for me at least, the price is too much as I always feel like something is missing when I wear them that keeps them from being outstanding(with the exception of NdN
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Xerjoff Casamorati 1888
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal
    Bruckner Aoud 1
    Naomi Goodsir Or du Soreil
    Chanel bois des Iles

Like many expensive things, they are worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

I personally love most of the TF Private Blends that I've had the chance to get my nose on. Depending on which scent, there is a limit of how much I would spend on it depending on how much I personally like it. For instance, Creed GIT and Tuscan Leather, I don't plan on ever being without either of these two scents, so maybe I'm willing to pay a premium for how great the scent is to "me".
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

Okay - a specific one to think about, given it's one of the most popular here on BN - talking retail prices.

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille 100ml is USD 290
    Mona di Orio Vanille 100ml is USD 230
    Guerlain Shalimar Ode a la Vanille 50ml is just inside USD 100, so let's say 100ml is around USD 190.

They are different, of course, but obviously vanilla is a key player in all three, so if you can . . . take the time to compare them and just focus on the vanilla and how it works for you over a few hours, how it feels, and then see how you think the Tom Ford pricing stacks up against the Guerlain and the Mona di Orio.

Mr. Reasonable, you are so reasonable!
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

nah.

Ultimately this is a fun discovery thing for me and the only way I learn, and more importantly GET DA GOOD S***, is looking at stuff in some sort of context. In terms of groupthink Tom Ford has sort become the new Creed and that's all fine but I think if anyone really wants an answer to the question posed that goes beyond herd instinct or some sort of defensive posturing then do a bit of serious exploring. Without an informed sense of context any opinion is coming from a pretty narrow place - that's why we're fortunate to still have a few reviewers on BN who can offer insight, rather than just personal likes and dislikes IMO.

Look at the 'favourite /best' leather, oud, vetiver, citrus etc. threads and see if TF (or whatever brand you're thinking of buying) features, sort of thing. Some friends have talking about a new one, Sahara Noir (?) recently and I'm keen to check it out. As mentioned above I tend to find TF stuff a bit front loaded, 'instant appeal', but you never know until you try something and can see how it stacks up against others in the genre.

Not a fan of Tobacco Vanille...it just doesn't do it for me. Personally I'll go against the grain here and say Tobacco Oud with the addition of a little vanilla is how TV should smell. Especially considering I got zero oud frome Tobacco Our but instead a very nice aged tobacco leaf that didn't really come out in TV for me.

TFPB is a good line, but all of them are overpriced IMO.
    They are mostly based on classic scents like Halston, M7 etc.

I donīt think they are innovativ. Having said that, they are soulless and lack the character.

Basenotes Plus

I don't have a lot of experience in the fragrance world, but I have fairly refined aesthetic sensibilities and I know what I like.

After spending hours in various shops, ordering dozens of samples from Luckyscent and the Perfumed Court, and doing lots of lurking on here (damn you, basenotes)....I actually like several of the TF Private Blends.

Yes, I am sure some of the older ones are probably better. Yes, I am sure that there are some more obscure niche makers that make something a little better and possibly less expensive.

I have purchased Plum Japonais and Santal Blush, and am considering Tobacco Vanille and Rive D'Amber as well. It has little to do with price or fashion. My nose appreciates these scents. And I also have a fondness for my sexy SA at Nordstroms. Perhaps that helps :-)

As much as I love trawling the forum and reading everyone's opinions (and I am very grateful for all the knowledge I have picked up here) at the end of the day you have to follow your own nose.....

Basenotes Junkie

I'm a TFPB addict in general. If I had to pick one line to wear the rest of my life it would probably be that (though Tauer is close). Value for money? If you can't get the same scent elsewhere or cheaper then you have to pay the man his money. I've sampled most all of them in one form or another (either multiple times wearing it out of the store, sample bottles, or full bottles). I have full bottles of Tuscan leather and Neroli portofino, my wife has Plum Japonaise (and I share it). TL and PJ are well worth it for me. NP was a gift and while I love it, I would have to do some other cologne sampling for the value for money aspect. There are lots of inexpensive colognes to make up for their lack of longevity (which NP doesn't have an issue with).

Others that I love but haven't pulled the trigger on a full bottle are Italian Cypress and Tobacco Vanille. I like Oud wood and Amber absolute but there are other, clsoe enough fragrances which have the bits of those fragrances that I like for cheaper or better. Noir de noir is similar but it doesn't trip my whistle as much as the others. About the only one I've tried but didn't like at all was white suede and it has been discontinued.

I have yet to try sahara noir or Tobacco Oud.

thanks
    rick

Quote Originally Posted by Casts_by_fly View Post
    I'm a TFPB addict in general. If I had to pick one line to wear the rest of my life it would probably be that (though Tauer is close). Value for money? If you can't get the same scent elsewhere or cheaper then you have to pay the man his money. I've sampled most all of them in one form or another (either multiple times wearing it out of the store, sample bottles, or full bottles). I have full bottles of Tuscan leather and Neroli portofino, my wife has Plum Japonaise (and I share it). TL and PJ are well worth it for me. NP was a gift and while I love it, I would have to do some other cologne sampling for the value for money aspect. There are lots of inexpensive colognes to make up for their lack of longevity (which NP doesn't have an issue with).

Others that I love but haven't pulled the trigger on a full bottle are Italian Cypress and Tobacco Vanille. I like Oud wood and Amber absolute but there are other, clsoe enough fragrances which have the bits of those fragrances that I like for cheaper or better. Noir de noir is similar but it doesn't trip my whistle as much as the others. About the only one I've tried but didn't like at all was white suede and it has been discontinued.

I have yet to try sahara noir or Tobacco Oud.

thanks
    rick
    1. Don't try Tobacco Oud. 2. Sahara Noir is great.

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post

As much as I love trawling the forum and reading everyone's opinions (and I am very grateful for all the knowledge I have picked up here) at the end of the day you have to follow your own nose.....
    I commend you the advice statement.

Some way along the road, a lot of perfumistas got caught up on latest hype that promoters are promoting.

It's imperative to learn to distinguish which part of a review is factual (naming notes for example) & which part is simply the reviewer's opinion (recognized by the praise or criticism following the factual bit).

for swap/sale:

I agree that lately TF has been having a hard time replicating its earlier success (Tobacco Vanille, Noir De Noir, Tuscan Leather etc.) since it seems they are taking a turn in a new direction. They have been been managing to releases to some good ones lately too (many I have yet to try) so it seems like the problem has been inconsistency.

I love many of his scents and would never be without a few and would pay the full price if I couldn't find a bottle for a lower price (it's possible, just have to look) but many are completely redundant and could never justify paying for them (Cafe Rose was a disaster IMO). Completely up to the individual whether they think the price is worth the juice. I'm quite upset though of his price hikes lately, they've been getting ridiculous.

On another note, it's a shame he has axed some of his obscure and unique scent like Moss Breeches among others since I heard they really were great stuff and its becoming difficult for others like myself to find and try them before they become impossible to find.

Funny you say that, I much prefer Tobacco Oud to Sahara Noir, although I find them somewhat similar in the dry-down as they both give a slightly resinous/semi-sweet vibe. It's the opening that kills Sahara Noir for me, it dries down nice enough. However, Sahara Noir doesn't have a very long life on my skin to consider looking past the first 1/2 hour to 1 hour for the harsh opening to subside into a decent frankincense.

I really like the dried tobacco aspect of Tobacco Oud, although there isn't a detectable oud note to my nose (I get a light cedar.) Tobacco Oud feels like a humidor with the addition of a faint vanilla sweetness at the dry down.

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    1. Don't try Tobacco Oud. 2. Sahara Noir is great.

I'm pondering the same question with Enigma by Roja Dove

I really like it and want it so ultimately I'm going to have to lay the lucre down

So, I suppose if it is going to make you happy -- it's worth it