Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: something new

Lightbulb something new

Hi guys,

First of all... let's start with saying that I don't have the best nose/smell, so if my description of what I smell doesn't sound familiar, I apologize in advance.

My question is... I would like to find a new and nice fragrance for myself.

The 2 fragrances I like very much are:

1) Boss Bottled.
    I like this fragrance for many years, because to me it is a nice, sweet (but not too sweet) and elegant/classy fragrance. I also feel it is a (excuse me for the weird description) "thick", "woolly" fragrance. I truly wonder if anyone understands what I mean by that :-/ But I hope someone does.

2) Boucheron, Jaipur Homme (EdP).
    I found this one last year. What I like about this fragrance is that it is a bit spicy. While Boss Bottled to me smells as 1 fragrance, Jaipur Homme has more "layers" to it. Some tones in the background and one "sharp" sort of spicy smell that really stands out. What I like about this fragrance is that I can always smell it on myself (although that sounds quite awkard when I write it like this). This sharp smell is pleasant to my nose, and I enjoy it when I smell it.

If I would describe the difference between Boss Bottled and Jaipur Homme, then I would say the first one is kind of "decent" and classy... or maybe "romantic", while the second one is, though elegant, more "bold" and "daring".

So, what I am looking for is a new fragrance which has a bit of both. I would like to find a fragrance with the warm and classy, romantic smell of Boss Bottled, combined with some more daring spicy notes (which stand out) as can be found in Jaipur Homme.

I truly have no idea if such a fragrance would exist, but I would really like to hear your suggestions.

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

Default Re: something new

Eau des Baux
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Gucci Pour Homme II, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Eau des Baux
    +1
    I would even say Burberry London

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slightly different direction but - Fahrenheit Absolute might add a new dimension to what you are looking for

Emir by Micallef perhaps

(3961)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Spicebomb for sure

Thanks for the replies so far! More than I could hope for!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Spicebomb for sure
    I tried a sample once. Though I quite liked it, I found it too sweet for my taste. Too much candy-like....

More suggestions (or approvals of the fragrances mentioned above) are very welcome. Thanks!!!

Good choice with Boss Bottled, BTW. Other good choices IMO would include:
    Burberry London
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    L'Occitane Eav des Bavx
    Paco Rabanne 1 Million
    Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb
    YSL La'Nuit

Regards,

TC
    Last edited by The Colognnoisseur; 9th February 2014 at 09:55 AM.
    The Colognnoisseur
    Omaha, NE
    USA

Thanks Colognnoisseur. The Spicebomb and 1 Million like you suggested, to me smell too much like candy. That's not what I like. YSL La Nuit i've tried once, but eventually I ended up not liking it.

So I've heard these 3 mentioned more than once:
    Burberry London
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Eau des Baux

So these 3 fragrances should fit my description... warm, elegant, classy with a spice daring touch?
    Does one of these 3 fragrances stand out in terms of quality? Or are they all equal?

I hope I find a store where I can sample them. Probably not all fragrances will be available in the stores where I live, so more suggestions are still welcome. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnifferMan View Post
    Thanks Colognnoisseur. The Spicebomb and 1 Million like you suggested, to me smell too much like candy. That's not what I like. YSL La Nuit i've tried once, but eventually I ended up not liking it.

So I've heard these 3 mentioned more than once:
    Burberry London
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Eau des Baux

So these 3 fragrances should fit my description... warm, elegant, classy with a spice daring touch?
    Does one of these 3 fragrances stand out in terms of quality? Or are they all equal?

I hope I find a store where I can sample them. Probably not all fragrances will be available in the stores where I live, so more suggestions are still welcome. Thanks!!
    I own all three and while I'd consider all to of them to be warm, GPH II would top my list for elegant and classy. I consider Eau des Beaux to be more of a casual scent and I wouldn't classify its spiciness as "daring". Burberry London is great but again, would come in second to GPH II, IMO.

These are somewhat similar to the two fragrances that you've posted and they're not going to be very hard on the wallet: Obsession Night for Men and Acqua di Gio: Essenza.

Obsession Night does invoke the same feeling of night as Bottled Night does bit it's a bit sweeter with a smooth, dark musk effect. Acqua di Gio: Essenza is a citrus blend flanker with a grapefruit note in it that gives it somewhat of a sour citrus smell.

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    I own all three and while I'd consider all to of them to be warm, GPH II would top my list for elegant and classy. I consider Eau des Beaux to be more of a casual scent and I wouldn't classify its spiciness as "daring". Burberry London is great but again, would come in second to GPH II, IMO.
    Great! This is the information I am looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by steve0580 View Post
    These are somewhat similar to the two fragrances that you've posted and they're not going to be very hard on the wallet: Obsession Night for Men and Acqua di Gio: Essenza.

Obsession Night does invoke the same feeling of night as Bottled Night does bit it's a bit sweeter with a smooth, dark musk effect. Acqua di Gio: Essenza is a citrus blend flanker with a grapefruit note in it that gives it somewhat of a sour citrus smell.
    I've tried Bottled Night once but I didn't like it. I am talking about the regular Boss Bottled. That's the one I like. Acqua di Gio I think I've tried, but isn't this more of an aquatic instead of what I'm looking for? For me the problem with aquatics is that I can't smell them anymore after half an hour. So they are not good for me.

Bleu de Chanel?
    Beauty is in the nose of the beholder.

Great! This is the information I am looking for!

I've tried Bottled Night once but I didn't like it. I am talking about the regular Boss Bottled. That's the one I like. Acqua di Gio I think I've tried, but isn't this more of an aquatic instead of what I'm looking for? For me the problem with aquatics is that I can't smell them anymore after half an hour. So they are not good for me.
    Sorry, I misread that.

Acqua di Gio: Essenza does have an aquatic flair to it but much less so, in comparison to the original, because of the added grapefruit note. With that note, it becomes more of a citrus fragrance.

Blog Entries

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...i/Vetiver.html

Mazzolari Vetyver or Mazzolari-Mazzolari. Both are stunningly good. You can order samples from LuckyScent. The nice thing is you can go to 'fragrances' and search for a type- 'woody' for instance, and see recommendations. The reviews are helpful, too.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...i/Vetiver.html

Mazzolari Vetyver or Mazzolari-Mazzolari. Both are stunningly good. You can order samples from LuckyScent. The nice thing is you can go to 'fragrances' and search for a type- 'woody' for instance, and see recommendations. The reviews are helpful, too.
    Thanks, and these do fit the description as mentioned in my first post?

Blog Entries

Yes, warm spices. These are rich and complex. Worth the money, IMO.

Allright, thanks! Then I'll add them to the list

Well, so far I've got some fragrances to try... well if I can find them that is...
    Thanks for the replies and if you who's reading this has got another good suggestion that fits my description as mentioned in my first post, please let me know!

warm spicy

chanel egoiste - spicy - woody - sweet
    dior dune - sandy - woody
    locitanne eau d bavx +1 - sweet - warm

Thanks! Added to my list!

+1 for Eau des Baux

Well, a little update...

I was able to get some samples based on your suggestions. I was very lucky to find a random very friendly perfumery who send me a sample of Eau des Baux by mail.

Besides Eau des Baux I went to 2 stores and was able to find samples of Chanel Egoiste and Dior Dune. And after in one store I was told Fahrenheit Absolute was discontinued, I was able to find it in another store. Can anybody tell me if it is discontinued?

Anyhow, after I explained in the stores what I was looking for, I also got a sample of Dior Homme Intense and Dolce Gabana The One.

So my list of samples is:
    - Dior Dune
    - Dior Homme Intense
    - Dolce Gabana The One
    - Fahrenheit Absolute
    - Chanel Egoiste
    - Eau des Baux

So tonight I tried Dior Dune and Dior Homme Intense. Dior Dune has some nice soft sugary sweetness in it, but I would not describe it as spicy. It doesn't smell strong either. It's more of a body scent. Well, then time to test Dior Homme Intense. My expectations were quite high after reading and viewing some (video)reviews, where it was described as the best fragrance ever and as a "babe magnet". But damn... this thing smells strongs... I'm not exactly sure what is in this fragrance, but it gives me a sort of headache feeling... some strange note which I can't define, is causing this... When I smelled it on a piece of paper in the store it actually smelled quite nice, but now that I have it on my skin... ooooh, I don't like it! This weird note is not good for me.... I think you could daze someone with it :-/ Does anyone else recognize what I'm saying?

Well, I thougt it would be nice to share my experiences so far... Hope you enjoy it

All this effort to keep you guys updated.. and not 1 reply

Glad you're enjoying a sampling adventure. That's one the best (or most fun) parts of the whole fragrance hobby, in my experience.

I wanted to strongly recommend you check out Dior Homme (the original EdT, not the Sport or Eau for Men flankers). Based on what you've already enjoyed, and the combination of classy-but-easygoing that you're looking for, I think it'd be perfect. Note that it's the same perfumer (originally) who later created Spicebomb, so there's some family resemblance, but Dior Homme does not go into the very sweet "candy" direction that Spicebomb does; the dry lavender and iris cut the sweetness of the cacao base. It's fantastic stuff.

Enjoy all your sniffing.

Thank you!!!

Do you mean the "normal" Dior Homme, or Dior Homme II?
    Dior Homme II I can't find anywhere around here

And is the Dior Homme you are talking about also a bit spicy? I like the spicy smell of my Jaipur Homme EdP and it would be great if I could find it in another fragrance, combined with the warmth and freshness as in Boss Bottled...

I'd try No. 032 Bay Rum by C O Bigelow and Opium pour Homme by YSL, ideally in the EdP. Both spicy and somewhat sweet but not sickeningly so.

Thanks for the tip. I'll add it to my list

Thank you!!!

Do you mean the "normal" Dior Homme, or Dior Homme II?
    Dior Homme II I can't find anywhere around here

And is the Dior Homme you are talking about also a bit spicy? I like the spicy smell of my Jaipur Homme EdP and it would be great if I could find it in another fragrance, combined with the warmth and freshness as in Boss Bottled...
    Dior Homme is only very lightly spicy (some cardamom), but more it's about a masculine take on iris (the iris is bookended by bergamot/lavender in the opening, and cacao/vetiver/suede in the heart and dry down). The effect is a restrained sweetness.

There's no Dior Homme II (are you thinking of Gucci Pour Homme II?) but it's had a number of flankers, like Sport, Intense, Cologne, and Eau for Men. My recommendation is the original. You should be able to find it at Sephora.

Thanks for clarifying! You were correct... I was confused by Gucci Pour Homme II.

Does Dior Homme smell like Dior Homme Intense? Because this one I didn't like. There's a strange smell that gives me a sort af headache... could it be the iris?

Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense are indeed similar, though Intense is sweeter and a bit more dense. It's like an emphasis of the base of Dior Homme. If you didn't like DHI, there's a good chance you won't like Dior Homme. That said, in my experience Dior Homme is a grower. If you sample it a few more times, or wait a few months and try it again, you may find yourself liking it. Enjoy!

Allright, thanks!

+1 Opium Pour Homme
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Ambre Sultan
    Absolue pour le Soir
    Bois du Portugal
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Xerjoff Casamorati 1888
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal
    Bruckner Aoud 1
    Naomi Goodsir Or du Soreil
    Chanel bois des Iles

Eau Duelle
    -Warm
    -Spicy
    -Sweet
    "As perfume doth remain In the folds where it hath lain, So the thought of you, remaining Deeply folded in my brain, Will not leave me: all things leave me: You remain."

-Arthur Symons

Blog Entries

Personally, I tried Eau des Baux ​and I couldn't wash it off fast enough. Loud and annoying. Not familiar with the others.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Personally, I tried Eau des Baux ​and I couldn't wash it off fast enough. Loud and annoying. Not familiar with the others.
    Really? I haven't tried it yet, but it makes me curious. So typical. Fragrances are so very personal. This proves it all. I'll think I'll try it tomorrow.

I haven't tried Eau des Baux either but loads of members here have spoken highly of it.

Blog Entries

Yes, I was excited to find this in Omaha and almost bought it blind. Luckily, I sprayed some on and waited a bit. I saved $56.

Allright, so I tried Fahrenheit Absolute. It's actually quite nice, but I do think it's a body scent and I do not get the spicyness as I get in Jaipur Homme. I also tried Dolce&Gabane The One. I smell some sweetness in the background and I do smell something you could consider to be spicy, but it reminds me of fruit. It's some sort of fruity spicyness. I am more looking for the peppery spicyness (I don't know how else to describe it) as in Jaipur Homme. The One more reminds me of some fruit. It smells quite heavy. Can you guys who have tried (one of) these fragrances agree with what I'm saying? I'm not the best smeller so I wonder if it makes sense what I'm saying.

Tomorrow the last 2 samples, Chanel Egoiste and... Eau des Baux!

Allright guys...

Tonight I will be sampling these 2:
    - Chanel Egoiste
    - Eau des Baux L'Occitane

Today I went to the stores and got myself these samples:
    - Opium pour Homme YSL (as adviced by some of you)
    - Kouros YSL
    - Annayake Tomo
    - Hypn˘se Homme Lancome

What do you think, which will be the winner of these 6 fragrances? Which one fits my description best? Warm and sweet like Boss Bottled and spicy like Jaipur Homme? Who will win this competition?

Should I give you another update later on? Or is nobody really interested in these updates? Please let me know...

Blog Entries

I'm curious to hear about the 'Eau des Baux' !

Original Santal is warm to me...some spice as well. Not my favorite scent, but it may fit your criteria. It's a solid scent for cooler weather.

I sampled Eau des Baux this weekend and found it very pleasing.

+1 on Original Santal.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Xerjoff Casamorati 1888
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal
    Bruckner Aoud 1
    Chanel bois des Iles

Should I give you another update later on? Or is nobody really interested in these updates? Please let me know...
    Keep em coming!!
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Xerjoff Casamorati 1888
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal
    Bruckner Aoud 1
    Chanel bois des Iles

Blog Entries

What's your rating for Egoiste and for Eau des Baux?

Allright, here we go.
    Please do remember I don't have the best nose and I'm kinda new to this, but I'll try my best

Well, let's start with Chanel Egoiste. I watched a video-review of it, stating that it is a confident fragrance for a guy in a suit. And yes, I think that description fits it quite well. Did I get spice? No, actually not. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the sugary/vanilla like sweetness in combination with subtle (what I would like to call) leather. And actually... that was good! However, the fragrance smelled kinda "flat" and dry. How shall I say this... I could smell the fragrance quite good, but it is very static, not dynamic. It just sits there and does nothing. After an hour or so I got a very subtle fruity smell and the sugary leathery sweetness started to disappear. Now, about 2 hours later, I can hardly smell it. So longevity is not the best. So, it's not the best fragrance (for me), although I liked the sugary leathery smell in the beginning.

On to Eau des Baux. Is it what I was hoping for? Unfortunately... it is not. Does it smell spicy? Yes it does, but it is another sort of spicyness than the spicyness in Jaipur Homme. Besides the fact that it smells different, this one is less fresh and more powdery. In my thoughts I would expect an Indian seller on a market to smell like this (although I've never been to India, but this is what comes to mind). Or maybe it could be an ingredient on this market. So is this thing sweet? No, it's not. I have to do my very best to get a touch of sweetness, but that is far far far in the background. In my opinion this fragrance can not compete with Jaipur Homme EdP.

So, that was kind of a dissapointment. However, I also learned something. That is that I liked the opening of Chanel, with the sugary vanilla leather smell. This was really well done. I didn't like the fact that the smell disappeared so soon, and I didn't like the fact that I smelled something fruity after an hour, but the vanilla leather thing... it was nice! And this vanilla sweetness, is something I like in Jaipur Homme and Boss Bottled as well. So, this makes me wonder... should I be looking for a combination of Boss Bottled and Jaipur Homme, or as I described it earlier, a combination of vanilla sweetness with a spicy touch? Or should I be looking for the vanilla, sugary leather fragrance as in Chanel Egoiste, but longer lasting and with some extra freshness, or something else maybe? Fact is that I keep coming back to the sugary vanilla... and the combination with the leather (as in Egoiste) was not bad at all. However, Egoiste was quite static and dry... but it makes me wonder if there are better alternatives.

Well please let me know if you liked my "reviews"

Blog Entries

Maybe you should try some more Chanels.

Maybe... suggestions are welcome. Did you like the "reviews"?

Blog Entries

Very good. Thorough and descriptive. It should help you to decide. It definitely will help you get some more ideas.

Yes, and I hope it helps others as well!

Blog Entries

The first time I smelled Bois des Iles I was really smitten. It has a creamy 'gingerbread' note. You also might try Cuir de Russie- a floral leather. A new leather I like very much is MDCI- Cuir Garamante, ​I don't know if it meets your requirements but it is very smooth and creamy.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...a%5FAurea.html

You might like this delicious dark amber scent.
    Last edited by kumquat; 18th February 2014 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks for your tips! Problem is most fragrances are not available here. I can buy from ICI Paris and Douglas (do you know these?). These are stores for a "mainstream" public. Only the well known brands are available. Maybe I'll go to a specialised perfumery one day. I think that's a better way to find what I'm looking for.

Blog Entries

Where are you ?

At home!

.. in The Netherlands

Blog Entries

http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/?___store=english

Here is a great European site for samples and full bottles. I'm sure there are others.