Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Valentino Uomo Tested.....

Today I had the opportunity to test this. Upon the first spray I thought, this is.... REALLY good.
    I tested on a test strip. Five hours later and this still smells incredibly strong on the strip.
    I am somewhat impressed with this fragrance. It manages to achieve what so many of today's fragrances don't achieve. It is a mixture of everything and therefore difficult to describe. Like most of todays outputs it is trying to please everyone....."generic", but where all the others have failed miserably, this one has achieved that goal in a slightly better fashion and possbly with higher quality components, (?).
    Last edited by david; 11th February 2014 at 10:18 PM.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Default Re: Valentino Uomo Tested - FANTASTIC FANTASTIC FANTASTIC !!!!!

It's made Olivier Polge and I read it has similarities to dior homme. Your opinion? I love DH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    It's made Olivier Polge and I read it has similarities to dior homme. Your opinion? I love DH
    It has absolutely nothing to do with Dior Homme, ( which I am also very fond of ). It has a touch of gourmand warmth and possibly the merest hint of something cognac/ boozy. It's really hard to describe because everything is in there !
    Warm and elegant would be my description, but without the Dior Homme powder note.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to try it, I LOVE the bottle!

Post Thanks / Like

Is this only available in UK?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Paper is so much different than on skin..
    I never do the strips..

testing on paper and skin are very very different.

IMO its almost the same as DH, at least the opening is almost identical, when it settles down this is more about chocolate/hazelnut and not vanilla/cacao.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your impressions, david. I believe it hits the UK shelves tomorrow and I'll definitely be giving it a try at the earliest opportunity. Undecided about the bottle - it's certainly different .

Post Thanks / Like

The scent reminded me of Dior Homme, as well as Victor and Rolf´s Spicebomb. After testing on my skin I must say I like it. Not sure if i love it. One of the better recent releases I must say, altough the bottle is a little too much for me.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I too got the Dior Homme vibe. It's sweeter, though, and less about iris after a while. It's a different kind of sweetness to DHI though - I quite couldn't figure it out. It's not bad, I tell you that - probably one of the strongest designer releases in quite a while, and the bottle looks decent as well.

I might go back for a retest, but I still feel like my heart belongs to Dior Homme - seeing as I own and love DHI and kind of want to COLLECT THEM ALL OHMYGOD ...

Post Thanks / Like

A more synthetic copy of Dior Homme with some Armani Code-ness in the dry down. Nothing special for the market and nothing fantastic as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Paper is so much different than on skin..
    I never do the strips..
    I always rely on strips rather than skin. In the south France the food is extremely rich, containg loads of garlic,onion achovies etc., which all heavily influence the skin. I find paper strips the purest way to test a fragrance.
    All the professional perfumers I know here in France also use paper strips rather than their own skin, for this reason.
    Last edited by david; 9th February 2014 at 03:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    A more synthetic copy of Dior Homme with some Armani Code-ness in the dry down. Nothing special for the market and nothing fantastic as well.
    I don't get Dior Homme, (though I only own and know the intense version). I find this very different. This fragrance does not contain any of the make-up/ powder note of Dior Homme.I agree with you and others that this direction has been done before, and when I use the word fantastic I am referring specifically to the drydown which seems to me to far superior to most of the recent offerings. I do get the Spicebomb connection which somebody mentioned, but I much prefer this to Spicebomb. The gourmand warmth works very well.
    I guess we all perceive fragrances differently. This is just my personal view.

Post Thanks / Like

Just blind bought this (50ml) for £37, the special offers ends tonight so had to bite the bullet. I like DH a lot but not keen on Spice Bomb.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a pretty good price for 50 ml, and worth it in my opinion. Congratulations, nice find.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I don't get Dior Homme, (though I only own and know the intense version). I do get the Spicebomb connection which somebody mentioned, but I much prefer this to Spicebomb. The gourmand warmth works very well.
    I guess we all perceive fragrances differently. This is just my personal view.
    Thank god we all perceive things differently! I don't let people's differing opinions bother me all that much.

I like the recent Dior homme eau, for example, but understand people who claim that it is too generic or safe. It is indeed a safe workplace scent that, in my view, is simply a cut above your typical designer fare... and sometimes we are so focused on what is "new" that we can just forget to appreciate something that just smells good and adds a little something special to one's environment.

At any rate I am happy to hear your positive opinion of this particular scent, because maybe somebody else would really like it and then second-guess their own opinion once they hear the chorus of naysayers... it's good to have that positive reinforcement! I, for one, can't wait to test it out.

I always rely on strips rather than skin. In the south France the food is extremely rich, containg loads of garlic,onion achovies etc., which all heavily influence the skin. I find paper strips the purest way to test a fragrance.
    All the professional perfumers I know here in France also use paper strips rather than their own skin, for this reason.
    Wait. What? I don't understand. Wouldn't this be precisely the reason you'd want to test on skin? You do wear perfume on skin, don't you? How can you know how it will perform on skin if you don't test it on skin?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Is this one coming to the U.S.? You've really piqued my curiosity! I'd love to try it.

Would be game to try this also should I cross paths with it.

(3997)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

This one won't be here till next year, very upsetting. I want to try this out

Where can we get it?

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Wait. What? I don't understand. Wouldn't this be precisely the reason you'd want to test on skin? You do wear perfume on skin, don't you? How can you know how it will perform on skin if you don't test it on skin?

Some wear on their clothes also..

Post Thanks / Like

I should get round to trying it. Its been out for a while now.

Not to digress but I think they use strips because bodily-real-estate becomes very challenging after 4 perfumes.

Otherwise then you're either smelling two perfumes at the same time (sprayed close to each other on your arm) or doing yoga in your lab....
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    Some wear on their clothes also..
    Technically, we all end up with it on our clothes. I'm wearing Rose 31 today, and though I only sprayed my skin, it's definitely on my shirt too. And it smells fantastic!

i totally agree with you even if thousands people here in europe are blamin on it cos' they find it very similar to dh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by absynthium View Post
    i totally agree with you even if thousands people here in europe are blamin on it cos' they find it very similar to dh
    I don't get this whole Dior Homme thing. I just don't get it ??.....this smells nothing like Dior Homme. That whole powder/ make-up/ lipstick thing is missing. The first impression I got upon spraying was a gourmand warmth totally different to DH with possibly the merest hint of something boozy/ fruity. I certainly got Spicebomb vibes throughout the whole process of this fragrance. Two days on and the test strip still smells strongly, but very generic and now rather boring.
    I have only given this one shot and my initial impression was very positive. I need to give it further tests and I may well change my opinion.
    As far as testing on strips goes I have already tried to explain why I and others prefer this method. To each his own....

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing.....
    I do love basenotes but.....this has not been included in the directory here. On fragrantica it is listed with a detailed description of notes and the concept behind the fragrance
    ....and already has 43 reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried Uomo out yesterday and saw there was some similarity between this and Dior Homme. But overall the composition is different enough for me to consider getting this in the future (especially if I can find it for a good price). Unfortunately I was testing out about four different scents so I definitely need to test it again on its own.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it today and it is *extremely* similar to Dior Homme. How anyone could think otherwise is beyond me. It's at least 85% Dior Homme, with maybe a little more nuttiness, cocoa and less "powder". It's really quite lovely. Soft, elegant and persistent.

The bottle, which I thought looked quite tacky in the promo shots, looks much, much better in reality.

Definite thumbs up from me!
    Last edited by Riverwide; 10th February 2014 at 11:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

85% Dior Homme, with maybe a little more nuttiness, cocoa and less "powder".
    That does sound magnificent.

Post Thanks / Like

Might try if I see it, even though Valentina has put me off this house.

I want this and can't believe we will see it stateside in 2015!!??!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Valentino Uomo Tested....

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    I tried it today and it is *extremely* similar to Dior Homme. How anyone could think otherwise is beyond me. It's at least 85% Dior Homme, with maybe a little more nuttiness, cocoa and less "powder". It's really quite lovely. Soft, elegant and persistent.

The bottle, which I thought looked quite tacky in the promo shots, looks much, much better in reality.

Definite thumbs up from me!
    I don't see a particular connection between this and Dior Homme. Where is the similarity ?,,,,no powder, no lipstick/ make-up note, no cocoa..... There is a disntinctive hazelnut/nutella note and a cappuccino coffee note but it has nothing to do with cocoa. I would say 85% Spicebomb.

Edited >>....after the first full wearing I now get the Dior Homme connection loud and clear - apologies Riverwide.

....after a second wearing I am now less impressed with this because of it's typical modern generic "mish-mash" superficiality - ie, trying to please everybody. I still prefer Valentino Uomo to Spicebomb, but this line has been towed too many times now.
    ...time to explore new fields....
    I am now more in agreement with AntonPan and his views on this.
    Last edited by david; 12th February 2014 at 07:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Valentino Uomo Tested.....

Well my Valentino Uomo is here

To sum up this is a less sweet, woody/spicy version of Dior Homme Intense, its very dark and rich without the iris. At the start you get the a dark chocolate, sweet spicy woody. As it begins to drydown the chocolate begins to fade a bit and the spicy woods with a hint of cinnamon comes through (this is why its compared with Spicebomb but its nothing like it. There's a floral vibe that Spicebomb doesn't have). After that it becomes a darker, richer DH with hazelnut.

Overall if you like DHI I can see you liking this.

7.5/10
    Last edited by jhericurls; 2nd April 2014 at 08:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I keep changing on this one.....
    today I gave it the first full wearing, (three sprays on the chest). I love the opening. It's very sweet, warm and there's sweet iris note that works almost like violet. Some reviewers on fragrantica also mention the violet like note.
    About 15 - 20 mins in and I'm starting to get huge wafts of Dior Homme, which I did not get when testing on a strip - followed later by even stronger wafts of L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Eau Extreme, (including that very disinctive note that some detect as powdered cocoa and others as furniture polish). The LIDGE phase lasted for the majority of this wearing. Towards the drydown I'm getting the Spicebomb vibe.

I really enjoyed this first full wearing, so it has gone back up in my opinion, though I certainly agree with others who say it is generic and lacks originality.
    ....it's a clever concept though, taking the most distinctive elements out of three best sellers and creating a new fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, generic or not, mainstream or not, it really sounds great.

I mean, if Dior homme or Dior homme intense is now defining "generic," then count me in for generic fragrances!!

Post Thanks / Like

It's very sweet, warm and there's sweet iris note that works almost like violet. Some reviewers on fragrantica also mention the violet like note.
    Yeah, I'm definitely getting the violet.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post

I mean, if Dior homme or Dior homme intense is now defining "generic," then count me in for generic fragrances!!
    I don't think its as good as DHI, also it doesn't seem to have much longevity. We give it a full days wear tomorrow.
    Last edited by jhericurls; 12th February 2014 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jhericurls View Post
    To sum up this is a less sweet, woody/spicy version of Dior Homme Intense, its very dark and rich without the iris. At the start you get the a dark chocolate, sweet spicy woody. As it begins to drydown the chocolate begins to fade a bit and the spicy woods with a hint of cinnamon comes through (this is why its compared with Spicebomb but its nothing like it. There's a floral vibe that Spicebomb doesn't have). After that it becomes a dark creamy vanilla.
    today I gave it the first full wearing, (three sprays on the chest). I love the opening. It's very sweet, warm and there's sweet iris note that works almost like violet. Some reviewers on fragrantica also mention the violet like note.
    About 15 - 20 mins in and I'm starting to get huge wafts of Dior Homme, which I did not get when testing on a strip - followed later by even stronger wafts of L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Eau Extreme, (including that very disinctive note that some detect as powdered cocoa and others as furniture polish). The LIDGE phase lasted for the majority of this wearing. Towards the drydown I'm getting the Spicebomb vibe.

I really enjoyed this first full wearing, so it has gone back up in my opinion, though I certainly agree with others who say it is generic and lacks originality.
    ....it's a clever concept though, taking the most distinctive elements out of three best sellers and creating a new fragrance.
    You guys are doing a good job of confusing me here!!!

I read jhericurls comment and think "OK, this may be one I'd really like!"....then I read David's comment and I'm like "Uhh....well, maybe not".

"It's less sweet than DHI....dark and rich without the iris".....then...."It's very sweet and there's a sweet iris note".

jhericurls makes it sound like it's a little more manly and David makes it sound like it's somewhat feminine. Like I said...you guys are confusing the crap outta me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    You guys are doing a good job of confusing me here!!!

I read jhericurls comment and think "OK, this may be one I'd really like!"....then I read David's comment and I'm like "Uhh....well, maybe not".

"It's less sweet than DHI....dark and rich without the iris".....then...."It's very sweet and there's a sweet iris note".

jhericurls makes it sound like it's a little more manly and David makes it sound like it's somewhat feminine. Like I said...you guys are confusing the crap outta me!
    Sorry to confuse. I'm the first to admit if I get things wrong.....I don't have a problem with that. These are my initial impressions and are prone to change. I find the opening of this fragrance personally very sweet, but in a positive way. I wouldn't say feminine. In fact this kind of sweetness will really attract the girls...of that I am sure !!! I do find the powder / lipstick/ make-up note of Dior quite feminine. I also find fragrances such as the classic Largerfeld for Men lean towards feminine, but I don't have a problem with them and wear them myself.
    I find VU far less feminine than DH because the powder is removed and replaced by gourmand sweet warmth.
    I think people read and interprate perfumes very differently.
    I have gone from > love, to > dislike, to > love on this one over three trials. It's early days and I may well shift again...
    ....I have a feeling you will love this one.
    Last edited by david; 12th February 2014 at 10:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post

I don't find Dior Homme generic. I find it earth-shatteringly ground breaking. Revolutionary and very daring - in a way that Fahrenheit and Insense were. Generic are the aftermath of fragrances that are copying and mixing elements of all the most successful recent fragrances and producing hybrids. I find Bleu de Chanel, Spicebomb, Midnight in Paris and Valentino Uomo to be generic. Not Dior Homme.
    Dior Homme is, (was ?...) totally unique.
    Last edited by david; 12th February 2014 at 10:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't find Dior Homme generic. I find it earth-shatteringly ground breaking.
    Cool, this is exactly what I think as well... but I guess what I wanted to say is that I also just like the way Dior homme smells, and so if a scent "in its wake" comes and modifies it here and tweaks it there, that still seems a worthy project for me... not "ground breaking" but a "refinement," which also has its place in the annals of olfactory art.

Post Thanks / Like

This appears to be all over the high street now so I have just tried it. I too am getting a DHI similarity - so much so that I don't think I'd need to own both. However, I find this much more foody than DHI - almost liquid Tiramisu ! chocolate, nutty , slightly liqueur. Very nice if you like sweet foody fragrances. I'm not picking up on any woods though and its categorised as woody. I've only been wearing it an hour though.

Post Thanks / Like

It has absolutely nothing to do with Dior Homme, ( which I am also very fond of ). It has a touch of gourmand warmth and possibly the merest hint of something cognac/ boozy. It's really hard to describe because everything is in there !
    Warm and elegant would be my description, but without the Dior Homme powder note.
    Hi, does the bottle come with a cap?
    Merci!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    Hi, does the bottle come with a cap?
    Merci!
    No cap

I think I'm starting to go off this fragrance, only done about 3 wears.
    What coach Rob says determines what I spray

I think I'm starting to go off this fragrance, only done about 3 wears.
    Uh oh...international slang difference alert!

What is meant by "go off" of something?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    Uh oh...international slang difference alert!

What is meant by "go off" of something?
    "Going off" means starting to get bored/beginning to dislike.

Its very similar to Dior Homme but you get chocolate/coffee instead of iris. But it just doesn't seem as nice as Dior Homme.
    Last edited by jhericurls; 26th February 2014 at 06:59 AM.
    What coach Rob says determines what I spray

"Going off" means starting to get bored/being to dislike.

Its very similar to Dior Homme but you get chocolate/coffee instead of iris. But it just doesn't seem as nice as Dior Homme.
    OK, gotcha...thanks for that clarification!

Yeah, I think that seems to be fairly common when it comes to fragrances, and why a lot of people have a large collection, to break up the monotony of wearing the same thing over and over....in hopes that something doesn't become boring.

This is one that I'd actually be interested in sampling, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will be available in the states anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Own the 100 ml version.

Nice heavy bottle with sharp glass edges, solid glass. Well built.
    Well composed scent. Almost niche like in quality.

The scent however is not long lasting, weak projection, 5-7 hours longevity.

Safe scent for the office. If you find Dior Homme/Intense too femme and loud, this is for you.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

It's in stock at my local Nordstrom. Picked up a sample today. Not bad stuff. Reminds me of the scent of expensive department stores.

Wow. I don't even see it listed on Nordstrom's site. Interesting. I'd love to give this a sniff.

The connection to Dior Homme is a lot closer to Dior Homme Eau For Men than regular DH. Possibly a case of Molecule Of The Year syndrome. In any case, so far so good. I could see springing for a full bottle, even though it's veering a little into A&F Fierce territory, like DHEFM.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 1st March 2014 at 11:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    The connection to Dior Homme is a lot closer to Dior Homme Eau For Men than regular DH. Possibly a case of Molecule Of The Year syndrome. In any case, so far so good. I could see springing for a full bottle, even though it's veering a little into A&F Fierce territory, like DHEFM.
    What's the price it's listed for?

Edit: Already see it available on ebay for $77 with shipping.
    Last edited by NYCBoomBoom; 2nd March 2014 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    The connection to Dior Homme is a lot closer to Dior Homme Eau For Men than regular DH.
    I'll have to try this one...but just from looking at the note breakdown, I find this kind of hard to believe.

Vaentino Uomo

Top - Bergamot, Myrtle
    Middle - Roasted coffee beans, chocolate, hazlenut
    Base - Leather, Cedar

Dior Homme Eau for Men

Top - Moroccan grapefruit, Calabrian bergamot, Crimean coriander
    Middle - Tuscan iris
    Base - Virginian cedar, Amber

Dior Homme

Top - Bergamot, Lavender, Sage
    Middle - Iris, Amber and Cacao
    Base - Leather, Vetiver, Patchouli

I tested it out, its a nice fragrance, its very similar to DH/DHI but with a more creamy sweet smell.
    The bottle is very artistic. Over all for 95 dollars I think its a very good fragrance but its main problem is that it will forever live in the shadow of Dior Homme/Dior Homme Intense.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=vinramani09;3109691...........its very similar to DH/DHI but with a more creamy sweet smell...........[/QUOTE]

Since Dior Homme Intense is just Dior Homme with three times as much vanilla, Valentino Uomo sounds more like something you'd eat than wear. A real bonbon as Edmond Roudnitska would say. Sounds like a no go but I'll be trying it. Perfume 2014..................

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried it w/o knowing what it was, etc. Reminded me of chocolate and hazelnut.

Similar to DH for me, could say they are in a smae category, but I wouldn't say they smelled like one and the same. To me it was somewhere between DH and Play Intense, but without some underlying notes that are present in both. Can't compare to DHI as I haven't tried that before.

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

the opening...It's very sweet, warm...
    About 15 - 20 mins in and I'm starting to get huge wafts of Dior Homme, which I did not get when testing on a strip - followed later by even stronger wafts of L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Eau Extreme, (including that very disinctive note that some detect as powdered cocoa and others as furniture polish). The LIDGE phase lasted for the majority of this wearing.
    I fully agree with these points. Don't judge this one on a quick spray at the department store! It starts off very sweet, I thought 'oh no, not another tooth-rotter' but this wears off within 30 mins or so and it ends up somewhere between Dior Homme and LIDG (closer to the former than the latter). And it lasts all day. I think it is very nice, even though I still prefer DHI.
    Disclaimer: idk lol

Yes after several wearings, i do get the Dior homme vibe in the opening. It's actually identical for the first 15 minutes, but with an added touch of bergamot.

After that, it changes into a creamy hazelnut and gets thicker and less sweet as time goes by, then it turns leathery sweet in the drydown.

Average projection for me with a good longevity of 8+ hours.

It's really nice, but last night I wore it side by side with slumberhouse ore...Well I wish I didn't...

Sent from Galaxy Note 3
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

So I bought a 1.7oz of Nutella and hot chocolate for $75. I love it!!! Was my SOTD, got 2 comps.