Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Favourite or Cult Status Discontinued Scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I neglected to mention another old favorite from Molyneux, although most from this wonderful old house have been axed, Gauloise is one I really used to love ...though I never "got" the cigarette thing, I'm sure that had something to do with its demise. Fête was another good one.

Oy, now this is a whole different can o' worms! I'll just stick to the ones in my own wardrobe.

Let's see...

Dior Dune and Miss Dior
    Krizia K de Krizia
    Patou 1000 and Sublime
    Givenchy III
    Coty Emeraude
    Halston
    Caron Infini
    Ralph Lauren (as already mentioned) Lauren and Safari
    Ungaro Diva
    Balmain Vent Vert, Miss Balmain and Ivoire
    La Perla La Perla
    YSL Opium and Rive Gauche
    Calvin Klein Obsession
    Rochas Femme and Lumière
    Worth Je Reviens
    Jean Desprez Bal à Versailles
    VCA Gem (this might actually be entirely gone)

...there are *so* many more, but I can't be sure without double-checking whether they've been reformulated, or if they're entirely gone or just in limited distribution, so I'll leave it at that, but I'm sure others will have lots more worth mentioning.
    This is very similar to my list.

I'm very lucky to own vintage parfum of Miss Dior, Dune, Givenchy III, Miss Balmain, Opium, Gucci No 3, Ivoire and Obsession, but there are loads that I see up for grabs that I simply can't afford.

I've come to the conclusion that the way to guarantee that a perfume is discontinued is for me to fall in love with it.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'
    Currently wearing: Piper Leather by Illuminum

Cadolle No9, Paris base underwear company made it back in the 1920s. Gorgeous fragrance I have a mini of the edt and the full size edp.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

SFMedusa said "I've come to the conclusion that the way to guarantee that a perfume is
    discontinued is for me to fall in love with it.
    "

Me too! And don't forget lipstick shades are the same way. One moment on my lips and it's gone from all make-up counters forever.
    Betsy

Blog Entries

Oh so true, Betsy!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two!
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

I can hardly believe that Coty Wild Musk Oil is not on the list. Had to add that one!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    Ysatis, although I like the reformulation

Also discontinued:

Youth Dew Amber Nude
    I had no idea Youth Dew Amber Nude was discontinued. I'm quite a fan and have an almost full bottle of it plusthe body lotion. How sad.

For us it's Karmala, from Avon's Mark line. Hands down. This is up to US$40-75 on Ebay and it only cost about $15 new, so that's quite an increase. I bought bottles for both my grown daughters from some Avon LABC up in Ohio before they were gone, so we each have one. We will miss it when all used up. I wouldn't put it at 'cult status' but it was only out for about a year and has been discontinued for 9 and still people talk about it, still being sold on the ebay. Not bad for an under $20 scent.

Hi all,
    What a trip through some of my favourites! So many I miss.. Mystere, for one. Thank you all. One fragrance I don't see here (perhaps because it's Canadian?) Is Pure Moment by Alfred Sung. For those of us scouring fragrance sites and eBay it has cult status. It's a marvellous fragrance - I honestly got tons of compliments from complete strangers when I wore it. Sadly the Sung house put out a chemical, aldehyde hot mess called Pure, which makes me gag. Still mourning Pure Moment to this day. The closest I've come is the Bulgari line, but there is still something missing..

[QUOTE=Evangeline;3067375]I neglected to mention another old favorite from Molyneux, although most from this wonderful old house have been axed, Gauloise is one I really used to love ...though I never "got" the cigarette thing, I'm sure that had something to do with its demise....QUOTE

I just came across this post and I thought I better tell you, Evangeline, that the name of this perfume has got nothing to do with the cigarettes.

A Gauloise is a woman who comes from Gaul, which geographically today comprises mainly France and Belgium.
    Currently wearing: Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

Welcome to Basenotes, isarcat!

Thank ye! Excited to have found you.. I love love scent

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    I just came across this post and I thought I better tell you, Evangeline, that the name of this perfume has got nothing to do with the cigarettes.

A Gauloise is a woman who comes from Gaul, which geographically today comprises mainly France and Belgium.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I neglected to mention another old favorite from Molyneux, although most from this wonderful old house have been axed, Gauloise is one I really used to love ...though I never "got" the cigarette thing, I'm sure that had something to do with its demise....
    Well yes, thanks, I know that, which is why I stated, "I never got the cigarette thing...". I never suggested the connection to the nearly identically named cigarettes (also named for a Gallic woman, btw) was necessarily *intentional* on the part of Molyneux, but it was a commonly perceived connection nonetheless...

I suppose I might have elaborated by explaining that I would have at least expected a tobacco or ashtray note in a perfume named for a cigarette, so other than the packaging (which does indeed recall a pack of smokes) I never got what the small controversy was about (though, as I did suggest, it wasn't exactly a marketing success, which could very well have something to do with looking like cigarettes) but that would have been a bit irrelevant and off-topic, however interesting we may find it.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Thanks for this post, Evangeline - very interesting indeed!
    Currently wearing: Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    Ah, I am awaiting one of these. I always loved the pure perfume best, I want to smell it again so much! I want a huge big bottle though....

The first love of my life....

And I am sick an tired of people saying stuff like this is for ''mature women''!!! I fell for Miss Balmain when I was 15 and mentally I have hardly aged since then and I still love it!
    I agree. I only have the newer EDT, but Miss Balmain strikes me as a happy, young fragrance. I always feel more cheerful when I wear it. I would love to find the parfum, but every time I find one on ebay, I get outbid. The problem is that the scents marketed to young people these days seem to be fruit cocktail or sugared up florals.
    “Let the beauty we love, be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.” -Rumi

My favorite cult/discontinued:

-Rive Gauche (r)
    -Gucci 3
    -Rochas Mystere (r)
    “Let the beauty we love, be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.” -Rumi