Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Favourite or Cult Status Discontinued Scents.

The boys just had a thread like this so what can we dredge up from our memories or wardrobes?

A few suggestions to start :-

Jolie Madame - Balmain
    Quadrille & Le Dix - Balenciaga
    Uninhibited - Cher
    Tendre Poison - Dior
    Gucci EdP
    Habanita - Molinard
    Farouche - Nina Ricci
    Incense - Norma Kamali
    Mystere - Rochas
    Chunga - Weil

queen of the universe

Default Re: Favourite or Cult Status Discontinued Scents.

All of vintage Weil is a cult as far as I'm concerned. Secret de Venus bath oil might be the cult-iest of all, if the prices asked on ebay are to be believed. I snagged an ounce for about $100, far below any other asking price I'd seen. How does it smell? Like eating gingersnaps in a barbershop, in a good way. I really did use it as bath oil. Down to the last drop (see before and after

At the risk of eliciting a weary chorus of , "oh, that again...", there's Mollie Parnis. While branded eponymously, is listed as a Weil at perfumeintelligence.co.uk. Anyone who knows me on basenotes knows my mad search for my signature, first purchased in 1978. A peachy galbanum bomb, nothing else like it. I love it to this day.

P1040057.jpg
    P1040096.jpg
    P1040099.jpg
    Last edited by jujy54; 9th February 2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: add photos
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Blog Entries

How much of a partner is the Gucci EDP to the Gucci Pour Homme I of the same era? Is anybody here familiar with both?

GPHI is pretty much history, but it's definitely cult on Basenotes. I was lucky enough to snag a bottle while I still could. I'm wondering if the ladies' scent is anything like it. Sounds like it has a cult, too!

PS - LOVE THE STEINWAY

Gosh, this is gonna be a long list; so many of my favorites qualify for this thread. Although I'm not really so sure about their *cult* status, they're all discontinued, but I still wear most of them quite frequently, so in some cases it could be a cult of one, lol. And don't worry jujy, you're definitely not alone - I'm always yammering on about my discontinued loves.

Yves Rocher 8e Jour, which imo is a *masterpiece*, a radiant and warm, ambery floriental.
    Fabergé Babe, my favorite drugstore classic, it's bright and sunny, crisp with hyacinth and warm with oakmoss. I've gotta believe that it was influenced by...
    Capucci's Yendi, another vivacious and citrussy green floral with hyacinth. I *adore* hyacinth!
    The original Calvin Klein for women, the first fragrance I chose and bought for myself, and it disappeared from the shelves soon after. It's a chic and elegant, mossy and rosy floral aldehyde.
    Deneuve, another masterpiece, this actually shares a lot of notes with Babe, but is *much* more complex, and absolutely *loaded* with oakmoss ...utterly glamorous.
    Revillon Detchema, the rosiest, most ladylike, downright *prettiest* aldehydic floral I know of ...Grace Kelly in a deep pink twinset.
    Royal Copenhagen Flora Danica, a gorgeous, velvety, extremely well-blended, luxuriously creamy floral-chypre.
    Gucci No1, a wonderfully spicy and carnationy floral aldehyde on a chypre base ...like a bolder L'Air du Temps.
    Gucci No3, perhaps my favorite classic chypre of all time, chic, green and sophisticated.
    L'Arte di Gucci, a sexy and sultry rose chypre, deep, dark, earthy and mossy.
    Guerlain Iris Ganache, my most recent addition to this woeful list of discontinued beauties, the most luscious iris I know, and my favorite *almost*-gourmand.
    Mystère de Rochas - although on a chypre base, this really wears as an oriental on me, and it's got something lovely and furry and animalic going on that reminds me of dark brown kitty fur that's been warming in the sun.
    Avon Occur, a classic, feminine 50s-type floral aldehyde. I always imagined Laura Petrie wearing this.
    Avon Topaze, another beautiful, warm and mossy floral aldehyde, but this one seems to have something softly leathery going on.
    Priscella Presley Roses and More, a gorgeous rosy floral bouquet with a chilly "florist case" start that I just adore.
    Molyneux Vivre, yet another impeccable floral aldehyde on a chypre base, this reminds me a bit of VCA First.
    Ralph Lauren Tuxedo, a sexy, leathery floral aldehyde ...on a chypre base. (I really like these.)
    Cartier So Pretty, a luscious *fruity* floral chypre, it's got an unfortunate and twee name, but the perfume is sooo luxurious ...perfeclty soignée.
    Guerlain Nahema, which doesn't always work for me, but when it does it's a thing of utterly gorgeous rosiness.
    Guerlain Parure, a rich, bold and plummy, bitter chypre, only for the confirmed oakmoss-lover.
    Jean Marc Sinan Sinan, another deeply earthy and herbal, bitter green chypre, angular but warm, completely androgynous and dead sexy.
    Charles of the Ritz, a beautiful floral aldehyde that I *used* to have and adore, but I don't have it now so I'm always on the lookout for new-old-stock.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 9th February 2014 at 03:30 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Among ladies fragrances:
    Laura Biagiotti Venezia (though the versions of this for both genders were apparently re-released)
    almost anything by Gabriela Sabatini
    the underrated German fragrance Extase Musk (apparently produced by Muehlens/4711 or whoever owns 4711)- a discontinued musky and luxurious powerhouse chypre fragrance for almost niche quality and subtlety at budget prices
    two fragrances by Yves Rocher- Ispahan and Eau de Vetyver (the latter far more an unisex but stunningly elegant yet simple to wear by both genders, due to the extreme naturalness of fresh, vibrant, invigorating green notes).
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 9th February 2014 at 04:22 PM.

Oh, my list is going to be quite long too!
    I miss Cristobal (Balenciaga), the original Rive Gauche (YSL),
    Theorema (Fendi), Nombre Noir (Shiseido), Feminite du Bois (Shiseido),
    Casaque (Jean d'Albret), Un Jour Se Leve (Yves Rocher), Aqua Manda (Goya),
    Ispahan and 8ieme Jour (also by Yves Rocher) and lastly, Omnia by Bulgari.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Blog Entries

The original Magie Noire de Lancome.

And the original Monsoon fragrance, later known as Coty Wild Lagoon.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

You will laugh, and I'm not sure I'd wear it today, but here goes: the original Ralph Lauren Lauren. It holds an indelible place in my memory -- the smell, the bottle, even the ads. It's what everyone my age wore in the late 1970s and early 1980s. I still remember it fondly.

In Re: Ralph Lauren Lauren.

Mocha, I have it and love it. I think I even wore it one day last summer and realized it was really quite good. I like it a lot better then the new RL things.

Must wear it again some time soon. Totally forgot about it.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Not sure these are cult favorites but they don't seem to last long on e-bay.

Laura Ashley No. 1
    Gucci Envy
    Houbigant Essence Rare

I think anything by Houbigant is a cult classic. People grab it and go with it.

Also the original White Shoulders by Patou before it was sold and there is always the original Evening in Paris.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

Charles of the Ritz is one that I really miss. I haven't smelled it since I was a teen. My friend turned me on to it at our largest dept store. It was heavenly, and so grown up! An ambery chypre. Something like Givenchy III crossed with Vol du Nuit.

Of course there are some re formulations that have been tragic- Rive Gauche, Cabochard & Chanel no.19, for example.

Mona di Orio's Nuit Noir- was killed by Luca Turin's unjustifiably cruel criticism.
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th February 2014 at 08:52 PM.

No need to be sheepish about that one, Mocha - Lauren is a fantastic green floral ....a fruity one actually, before "fruity florals" were a thing. I've loved it since its release, though what I still occasionally wear is the original early-80s edc. But it's still available, which is why I didn't include it ...along with many other available-but-reformulated-beyond-recognition perfumes, such as Vent Vert. But since it has suffered from such poor reformulation in the last decade or so (along with Safari and Polo) I believe the original probably is deserving of cult status.

Here's an ad that should take you back a few years ...when I was a kid I wanted to *be* Kristin "Clotilde" Holby when I grew up.

Charles of the Ritz was an aldehydic floriental, kumquat, most closely related to the original Oscar de la Renta, to my nose. I'd give *anything* to come across one of those sleek burgundy canisters these days.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Phew, glad it's not just me who likes the original Lauren. And great ad, Evangeline. I have smelled various later version(s) of Lauren over the years, but I find them so changed that it's silly that they are called by the same name. To me, it's gone.

In general, I've come to accept that perfumes we love will always be changed and even discontinued. I tend to be overwhelmed by how many good to great perfumes we can buy currently, not to mention the new ones that keep being made. I can't keep up. And I like to keep the bottles I own to a very small number. So I have resisted the urge to focus on vintage classics that are gone. But I do miss some, and I love reading about ones that other people miss.

Blog Entries

I wore Lauren. Yes, it was charming, violet leaf wasn't it? Very fresh and distinctive.
    I never smelled Oscar de La Renta, so not sure about the comparison. I'm sorry I never bought a bottle of CotR!​ (Kicking self vigorously!)

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Gosh, this is gonna be a long list; so many of my favorites qualify for this thread. Although I'm not really so sure about their *cult* status, they're all discontinued, but I still wear most of them quite frequently, so in some cases it could be a cult of one, lol. And don't worry jujy, you're definitely not alone - I'm always yammering on about my discontinued loves.

Yves Rocher 8e Jour, which imo is a *masterpiece*, a radiant and warm, ambery floriental.
    Fabergé Babe, my favorite drugstore classic, it's bright and sunny, crisp with hyacinth and warm with oakmoss. I've gotta believe that it was influenced by...
    Capucci's Yendi, another vivacious and citrussy green floral with hyacinth. I *adore* hyacinth!
    The original Calvin Klein for women, the first fragrance I chose and bought for myself, and it disappeared from the shelves soon after. It's a chic and elegant, mossy and rosy floral aldehyde.
    Deneuve, another masterpiece, this actually shares a lot of notes with Babe, but is *much* more complex, and absolutely *loaded* with oakmoss ...utterly glamorous.
    Revillon Detchema, the rosiest, most ladylike, downright *prettiest* aldehydic floral I know of ...Grace Kelly in a deep pink twinset.
    Royal Copenhagen Flora Danica, a gorgeous, velvety, extremely well-blended, luxuriously creamy floral-chypre.
    Gucci No1, a wonderfully spicy and carnationy floral aldehyde on a chypre base ...like a bolder L'Air du Temps.
    Gucci No3, perhaps my favorite classic chypre of all time, chic, green and sophisticated.
    L'Arte di Gucci, a sexy and sultry rose chypre, deep, dark, earthy and mossy.
    Guerlain Iris Ganache, my most recent addition to this woeful list of discontinued beauties, the most luscious iris I know, and my favorite *almost*-gourmand.
    Mystère de Rochas - although on a chypre base, this really wears as an oriental on me, and it's got something lovely and furry and animalic going on that reminds me of dark brown kitty fur that's been warming in the sun.
    Avon Occur, a classic, feminine 50s-type floral aldehyde. I always imagined Laura Petrie wearing this.
    Avon Topaze, another beautiful, warm and mossy floral aldehyde, but this one seems to have something softly leathery going on.
    Priscella Presley Roses and More, a gorgeous rosy floral bouquet with a chilly "florist case" start that I just adore.
    Molyneux Vivre, yet another impeccable floral aldehyde on a chypre base, this reminds me a bit of VCA First.
    Ralph Lauren Tuxedo, a sexy, leathery floral aldehyde ...on a chypre base. (I really like these.)
    Cartier So Pretty, a luscious *fruity* floral chypre, it's got an unfortunate and twee name, but the perfume is sooo luxurious ...perfeclty soignée.
    Guerlain Nahema, which doesn't always work for me, but when it does it's a thing of utterly gorgeous rosiness.
    Guerlain Parure, a rich, bold and plummy, bitter chypre, only for the confirmed oakmoss-lover.
    Jean Marc Sinan Sinan, another deeply earthy and herbal, bitter green chypre, angular but warm, completely androgynous and dead sexy.
    Charles of the Ritz, a beautiful floral aldehyde that I *used* to have and adore, but I don't have it now so I'm always on the lookout for new-old-stock.
    Great post, Evangeline!

How about Avon Candid?

Or Alfred Norell Norell?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Norell, another sleeper scent! The vintage is superb. The recent is dreadful. I happen to have quite a nice stash of this. New old stock. I don't think it's d/c though, is it?

Does anyone one know what Jill Sander no. 4 smells like? It is d/c I'm pretty sure. I happened to get a bottle at TJMax (blind). The prettiest tuberose!

Fendi-Fendi, a d/c sleeper scent. I bought this cheap early on. Now it is obscenely expensive. A wonderful woody oriental with chutzpah!
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th February 2014 at 10:12 PM.

WEll

My most loved and wanted is Ellipse Jacques Fath - lost more than 3 auctions on ebay, next step is selling car I guess in order to get it

Then goes Hermes Doblis

Mystere de Rochas - yes, love that one

Original Montana by Montana

Gucci Envy - had 5 bottles - they were going FAST

Nature Millenaire
    by Yves Rocher *cries* - great memories-happy times

Armani Sensi - so sensual...

Venis Yves Rocher

Le Feu d'Issey Issey Miyake

QuiProQuo
    Gres

I am afraid tomorrow I will write 20 more names

Last edited by Lyuba; 9th February 2014 at 10:34 PM.

Favourites of mine and discontinued were:

Jacques Fath - Canasta
    Molyneux - Vivre
    Balenciaga - Cialenga
    Jean Patou - Câline

Carven - Ma Griffe the original
    Guerlain - Parure

These were all lovely chypres.

These days Azzaro - Eau Belle Was discontinued. I still have a bottle, but there is NO replacement in sight!

I also would like to smell (don't laugh) Apple Blossom again, it makes me reminiscent of my sub-teen days.
    Last edited by Puma; 9th February 2014 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Does anyone one know what Jill Sander no. 4 smells like? It is d/c I'm pretty sure. I happened to get a bottle at TJMax (blind). The prettiest tuberose!
    Here in Germany its still available, it certainly is not discontinued.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    Here in Germany its still available, it certainly is not discontinued.
    Fantastic! You are lucky. I don't think it is here in the US.

Also -
    Madame Carven
    Vivara
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th February 2014 at 10:44 PM.

Gosh, so many memories coming back with these - and please do mention those re-formulated beyond recognition - for me, Caleche is definitely one of those.

Cabochard - Gres.
    I know its still available but ...

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Lyuba View Post
    WEll

My most loved and wanted is Ellipse Jacques Fath - lost more than 3 auctions on ebay, next step is selling car I guess in order to get it

Then goes Hermes Doblis

Mystere de Rochas - yes, love that one

Original Montana by Montana

Gucci Envy - had 5 bottles - they were going FAST

Nature Millenaire
    by Yves Rocher *cries* - great memories-happy times

Armani Sensi - so sensual...

Venis Yves Rocher

Le Feu d'Issey Issey Miyake

QuiProQuo
    Gres

I am afraid tomorrow I will write 20 more names

Lyuba I will very much miss Envy. Down to my last 30ml bottle, I know you can still find it but sad none the less. GHPI one 50ml bottle left of spicy pencil shavings. Nuda disco'd and getting hard to find a bottle of jasmine sambac and squashed ants.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Gosh, so many memories coming back with these - and please do mention those re-formulated beyond recognition - for me, Caleche is definitely one of those.
    Ysatis, although I like the reformulation

Cabochard, what a pity!

L'Air du Temps, beyond recognition

Also discontinued:

Youth Dew Amber Nude
    Last edited by Puma; 10th February 2014 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Great post, Evangeline!

How about Avon Candid?

Or Alfred Norell Norell?
    Thanks, Prim! I remember Candid - an exuberant orange blossom, isn't that right? And you're right about Norell too - I've had the same bottle since the 80s so I can't imagine why I neglected to mention it ...though I certainly don't wear it very frequently, so maybe I felt bad about trotting it out for a "favorites" list, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    I also would like to smell (don't laugh) Apple Blossom again, it makes me reminiscent of my sub-teen days.
    Nobody's going to laugh Puma, and if they do then they just don't know what they're missing. Some of my most beloved and cherished fragrances are from unlikely sources, including drugstore brands as well as Avon and celebrity scents. Thankfully, the nose doesn't care where they come from, only that they smell good and make us happy.

I like the current Ysatis, too ...but boy, the *vintage* is sooooooo good!

I neglected to mention another old favorite from Molyneux, although most from this wonderful old house have been axed, Gauloise is one I really used to love ...though I never "got" the cigarette thing, I'm sure that had something to do with its demise. Fête was another good one.

Oy, now this is a whole different can o' worms! I'll just stick to the ones in my own wardrobe.

Let's see...

Dior Dune and Miss Dior
    Krizia K de Krizia
    Patou 1000 and Sublime
    Givenchy III
    Coty Emeraude
    Halston
    Caron Infini
    Ralph Lauren (as already mentioned) Lauren and Safari
    Ungaro Diva
    Balmain Vent Vert, Miss Balmain and Ivoire
    La Perla La Perla
    YSL Opium and Rive Gauche
    Calvin Klein Obsession
    Rochas Femme and Lumière
    Worth Je Reviens
    Jean Desprez Bal à Versailles
    VCA Gem (this might actually be entirely gone)

...there are *so* many more, but I can't be sure without double-checking whether they've been reformulated, or if they're entirely gone or just in limited distribution, so I'll leave it at that, but I'm sure others will have lots more worth mentioning.

This was weird stuff - it's been re-introduced after a long break recently but is probably different.

http://www.aquamandaperfume.com/t/AboutUs
    Last edited by lpp; 10th February 2014 at 08:39 PM.

Blog Entries

So Opium and Ivoire ​are discontinued?

How about putting an 'R' after the scent if it's only re formulated.

^^ Nope, just "reformulated beyond recognition" along with all the others on that list. They're still available, but those two even have entirely new packaging.

Have to mention this one.

Blog Entries

Have to mention this one.

What in the world is this?

It's one that I'd like to track down, kumquat - although that's pretty unlikely!
    I love the bottles.

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...46%26bih%3D960

Blog Entries

Huh, that's a new one, really sexy!

Sonia Rykiel 7s Sense

How I miss it , I had ONLY mini but its unforgettable fragrance

from someones blog

Sonya Rykiel's 1979 creation, 7e Sense is a play of sparkle and darkness, of overripe sweetness and sharp spiciness. The lighter side of 7e Sense is composed of bubbly aldehydes, of tingly piquancy of coriander and carnation, of the seeming innocence of jasmine and narcissus. The dark side is represented by sinfully luscious prunes (the note I adore in perfume), peach and honey, by the languid ylang and the indolent rose. The two lines run through the composition, sometimes parallel, sometimes intertwining, with the second one eventually taking over and ultimately finding its closure in a lush, animalic, fantastically sexy, nocturnal base of amber, musk, civet, patchouli and castoreum. Brooding and smoldering under its deceptively calm surface, 7e Sense is one of the most sensual fragrances I have encountered.

I still didnt try even Vivienne Westwood's Libertine((((

Sounds lovely, Lyuba - never tried it but used to wear some of the clothing, including the best belt ever.
    Last edited by lpp; 10th February 2014 at 09:43 PM.

Oh, I remember those Lyuba, though I'm not familiar with either of them, smell-wise. But I can't even imagine all the fabulous perfumes that disappeared before I had even heard of them, much less got a chance to sniff them.

I almost completely forgot the original Miss Dior Chérie, the very first one with the incredible popcorn note! None of those Miss Dior Chéries even exist anymore, but this one was really something special, and almost impossible to find just over a year after its release as it had already been reformulated, inexplicably *without* the famous popcorn note that everyone raved about. It's definitely got a cult following, and it's *heavily* counterfeited, so finding an authentic one is almost impossible - I'd never buy one off the internet. I have *one* bottle and I'm sure it's the only one I'll ever have.

This is the one I'm talking about -

and here's the original ad campaign with Riley Keough (that's Lisa Marie Presley's daughter) -

I remember around 10 years ago my friend gave it to me...old version one..she hated it, I hated it till migraine as well, my younger sister got it and was happy)))

I also miss Shiseido Feminite du Bois
    Gucci Gucci Eau de Parfum

Paco Rabanne Calandre - crazy money

Where from to get SO MUCH money so we could buy at least 30 ml of each?...

*sigh*

Valentino Very Valentino

Can not find Indienne Nights Sherrer (not sure I spelled it right though)
    Last edited by Lyuba; 10th February 2014 at 10:15 PM.

This was a strange one...

This was a strange one...

Haha, what is that lpp?.. where do you take these photos with cute bottles from?..

O! Fendi Asja! Can not see it anywhere!

Ha - they're 'borrowed' with help from Google, Lyuba

The yellow one was called Kiku, by Faberge.

By Guy Robert, 'One Perfect Rose' - La Prairie

and Merefame by Menard.

Last edited by lpp; 10th February 2014 at 10:43 PM.

These days I got panic-stricken after I discovered that my backup bottle of Cabochard had been bereft of its oakmoss.

So I quickly bought backup bottles of Calandre, which I love, love, love, as well as Y. I fear they could discontinue these cult fragrances in the near future for the oakmoss. Can someone tell me if these are already unavailable in the U.S.?

Hey lpp, what is this, Fragrantica?? Why don't you tell us something about these rare perfumes? I remember seeing Kiku and One Perfect Rose, but I've never set eyes on the other one - were these favorites of yours?

Evangeline - Kiku was one that I bought for the 'bottle' in the 1970's but could never actually wear...people here still buy the empty bottles. It was very strong and 'yellow'.
    Acqua Manda was very strange stuff indeed - I had the bath stuff but it was so 'stickily' strong - never had anything like it before or since but it's probably been tamed a bit now! It wasn't a refreshing sort of citrus at all.
    From memory - if you concentrated oranges & threw in some other strong stuff....
    It's been re-introduced 'though as it was very popular.

The Guy Robert ones I haven't tracked down yet.
    Last edited by lpp; 10th February 2014 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks! There's something quite intriguing about Mérefame, an almost-but-not-quite-familiar something that's ringing a very distant bell ...I'll have to do some digging.

I've been interested in Merefame because it's by Guy Robert & it would be nice to be able to sniff all of his one day, but it's one of those long-term projects.

Yep, that it's by Guy Robert and that it's from 1979 are both things that interest me.

It's in the directory; here are the listed notes ...a surprisingly brief list for '79.

Top Notes - Bergamot, Rose, Ylang ylang
    Middle Notes - Gardenia, Jasmine
    Base Notes - Iris, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla

More digging is required.

Blog Entries

Puma, you should definitely hoard those. We can't get oak moss here any more.

queen of the universe

Evangeline,

oh, yes, or, better, mais oui, Infini!

I'm the lucky owner of the vintage extrait.
    P1030778.jpg
    Last edited by jujy54; 11th February 2014 at 03:18 AM.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Puma, you should definitely hoard those. We can't get oak moss here any more.
    Yes, kumquat, I already did. But I also had to grab all the roundish bottles with the Caron juice in them, almost all of the EdT/EdPs.
    I want my Carons in oldfashioned bottles! The new square ones I do not like. For this month I am practically broke.

Blog Entries

By Guy Robert, 'One Perfect Rose' - La Prairie

and Merefame by Menard.

Menard just does cool bottles - I almost want to sniff it just to see if it's as awesome as it looks!

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Yep, that it's by Guy Robert and that it's from 1979 are both things that interest me.

It's in the directory; here are the listed notes ...a surprisingly brief list for '79.

Top Notes - Bergamot, Rose, Ylang ylang
    Middle Notes - Gardenia, Jasmine
    Base Notes - Iris, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla

More digging is required.
    Cool, thanks Evangeline

Red - it's so easy to see why people collect bottles

Cool, thanks Evangeline

Red - it's so easy to see why people collect bottles
    I love bottles but if they all would look different but smell the same - pfffff)))

The gem is inside!)

Very true, Lyuba!

At least the bottle would be nice if the contents had spoiled 'though

Bottle-wise I love Salvador Dali Le Roy Soliel, but also I love to wear it, cult one for me as well, one of most unusual spicy-oriental scents I have got

You can see features on the sun-face - eyes, mouth, eyebrows - made like flying birds

This perfume bottle was designed by Salvador Dali at the request of the Schiaparelli company, and made by Baccarat. In the year when World War II came to an end, Dali used the sun to symbolize the joy of peace regained and incorporated it into an image of Louis XIV, the Sun King, who represented the glory of France. Thus, the perfume bottle named "Le Roy Soleil "came into existence. This is one of the most famous and valuable perfume bottles ever produced by an artist.

Still can not get hold of more than just mini - by Montana Just Me
    Love the bottle and the scent

I had read many good things about Just Me and as soon as I saw it on the box cover, I had to have it. It did not disappoint. It opens with a madly cheerful dish of fruit cocktail dressed with citrus zest and dominated by sugared pineapple, a radiant burst of sunshine. Pineapple more than any other fruit, any other thing, is sunshine you can smell, bright and angular, penetrating and caressing. If this sort of thing doesn't make you happy, then I don't even know how your nose works: the smell of pineapple always brings a smile to my face.*

The top seamlessly flows into a warm jam-and-chocolate floral with an emphasis on "warm": this is practically tropical, with the spiny, pineapple-y brightness lingering well into the heart of the scent, and has "summer day" written all over it. Eventually the radiance vanishes altogether and the scent segues into a smudgy, salty, vaguely leathery drydown that lies very, very close to the skin. You wouldn't call Just Me a proper leather scent, because the leather doesn't appear until very late in the game, but a fragrance has to end with something. That doesn't even matter: from start to finish, Just Me is gorgeously proportioned, charming, and most of all, so much fun!

Lovely post about Just Me - from here
    http://1000scents.blogspot.co.uk/201...1_archive.html

I had fun reading that as well, familiar feeling when you read different nonsense on different sites about fragrances and their notes))

Lots of negative or just empty reviews about Gres House - hommage a Greta Garbo and hommage a Marlene Dietrich, I bought them all anyway, all in minis and few managed to get in full size 60 ml bottles

About scents I also have very good opinion, it might be simple , from the beginning, but they are much more then it seems (at least to those who left reviews that I have read)
    Around 4 of them I really liked a lot and enjoy wearing

Adore the style of mini and the big ones, most sleeky and comfortable to hold - the bottle and packaging were designed by the Parisian design studio Aesthete.

In reality and by touch they even nicer!

Anne Klein II

What my wife wore when we met. So warm! So classy! She still has the bottle, which is nice, but it doesn't quite smell the same. (Maybe not so surprising for a 25-year-old bottle. )

Blog Entries

Arpége- R
    Estée Lauder- Private Collection- R
    Coty Chypre- ​R
    Aprés L'Ondée- R
    Last edited by kumquat; 11th February 2014 at 03:30 PM.