Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Favourite or Cult Status Discontinued Scents.

L’Occitane Voyage En Méditerranée Ladunum De Séville (now sadly discontinued) amber sweetness, almost raw honey note some smokiness and that slight soured powder and a hint of herbal aniseed.

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Great listings!!!

My picks will be the below (most are probably mentioned on previous posts):

Nina Ricci Farouche & Bigarade
    Molyneux Vivre
    Sisley soir de lune
    Caron Fleurs de Rocaile
    Puig Estivalia
    Quadrille, Rumba, Michelle from Balenciaga
    Emilio Pucci Miss Zadig
    Carven Robe d'Un Soir & vtg Ma Griffe
    Hermes Caleche

Is Sisley Soir de Lune discontinued???
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    Is Sisley Soir de Lune discontinued???
    Nope, just checked - my error...Still in production.

Oh, pfffff, pfffffffff.....
    I have no doubt that a gorgeous scent like SdL will be discontinued, but I don't have the budget to stock up on it right now.....
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Nina Ricci Nina
    Nina Ricci Fleur de fleurs
    Armani Woman
    Eau de dürer
    I was going to add Eau de Patou (but this has been recently relaunched. Let's see how it smells. Much more expensive though).

I'm a little put out this morning. When I received my newsletter from Fragrantica today they had an article by Elena Vosnaski who has the web site Perfume Shrine. The article was rather lengthy (for Fragrantica) and talked about how useless it was to chase vintage perfumes either on-line or at flea markets. She says the perfumes will age and change no matter what you do and those of us that chase them are wasting our money (my interpretation of her words). I realize that perfumes do change but some of them are pretty stable and are beautiful. It would be interesting to see what some of you think of the article. I accept the part about the packaging as valid based on what I know about manufacturing.

Just go to Fragrantica.com. It's on their front page.
    Last edited by BetsyMeszaros; 16th February 2014 at 05:47 PM.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Vint...ose--5174.html

Here's the article.

It sounds like she's been burned several times and gotten some bad juice. It happens.
    Last edited by kumquat; 16th February 2014 at 05:47 PM.

Excellent, that means less competition for me when I chase vintage juice.
    It happens, I have a vintage Miss Balmain EdT that's definitely off. I have brought some very dodgy bottles of vintage Houbigant Chantilly, and that always seems to be fine.
    Last edited by FrouFrou; 16th February 2014 at 06:01 PM.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Just brought a vintage Hermès Amazone, looks 70s, factory sealed in real cellophane! That's very long ago now... It's gorgeous!
    Maybe she wants to have less competition too }
    And of course the manufacturers don't want for us to chase old vintages instead of buying their latest sugar.
    And how else will I get my oakmoss fix???? Unless they start making better perfumes I have no other choice.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

Some juice is better than others. Here's the Balmain to get- shhh, it's a secret-

Last edited by kumquat; 16th February 2014 at 06:02 PM.

Wat? Where?????
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

I find these on Ebay sometimes- never pay more than $40. They're tiny. pure parfum.

Ah, I am awaiting one of these. I always loved the pure perfume best, I want to smell it again so much! I want a huge big bottle though....

The first love of my life....

And I am sick an tired of people saying stuff like this is for ''mature women''!!! I fell for Miss Balmain when I was 15 and mentally I have hardly aged since then and I still love it!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Although chronologically I have caught up I suppose....
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

Age limits on perfume wearing is ridiculous. I have no interest in that.

The trick in buying vintage is to buy it sealed in the box if possible, or with the box, or at least one that's not too dark in color. (the one in the photo is pretty dark, but it has the box, so it's a toss up.) I also try very hard not to overspend and get really caught up in the holy grail thing. I've only done it a very few times. And when I did, it was for VERY special sauce. And, I got pretty good deals, too. Sometimes the stuff may have been stored badly, I got burned on a $100 bottle of 'Deneuve'. It is rank- spoiled. I can't even give it away because I don't want someone to sell it. Another person will get ripped off. These are the risks of buying blind.
    Last edited by kumquat; 16th February 2014 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Age limits on perfume wearing is ridiculous. I have no interest in that.

The trick in buying vintage is to buy it sealed in the box if possible, or with the box, or at least one that's not too dark in color. (the one in the photo is pretty dark, but it has the box, so it's a toss up.) I also try very hard not to overspend and get really caught up in the holy grail thing. I've only done it a very few times. And when I did, it was for VERY special sauce. And, I got pretty good deals, too. Sometimes the stuff may have been stored badly, I got burned on a $100 bottle of 'Deneuve'. It is rank- spoiled. I can't even give it away because I don't want someone to sell it. Another person will get ripped off. These are the risks of buying blind.
    Kumquat you said that very well. My thoughts exactly. I have bought some beautiful vintage things realizing of course there was a risk. Some of the things I've bought were things I wore when I was younger and when I opened them they were exactly like I remembered. The only thing I would do differently from you is to buy them still in the packaging. I've great lucky with almost full open bottles.

When I cleaned out my mother's house I found a bottle of Shalimar EDT in the watch bottle in my old room in the back of a drawer. It had been mine. The smell was just as wonderful as always.
    Betsy
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Laura Biagiotti Venezia (though the versions of this for both genders were apparently re-released.
    They re-released the eau de perfume and an eau de toilette version, unfortunately it is not so deep and full as the original, you can compare it to the original Opium and the reformulated version, Venezia gets an R.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post

Dior Dune
    I don't know how often Dune has been reformulated but my newest bottles (already some years old now) smell the same as when it came out, so I am lucky I guess.

I want to add Gloria by Cacharel to the list.

Wonderful walk down memory lane. I would add several more, Tuvache's Jungle gardenia from the 60's-70's, no one can duplicate that
    Tuvara, which was very similar to Youth Dew, and Nectaroma, a delicious fruity flowery marvel. Also Sumatra, a dense jungly melange of musk and flowers that was amazing. From Dana, 20 Carats, spicy and rich in every way, Emir, a woody-chypre of immense creativity, and the virginal allure of Platine, all flowers and innocence. I miss Lanvin's original Rumeur, so autumn, so woodsy, apples and fire, De Markoff's Enigma, so grown up, chypre at its best. Simonetta's Incanto, Italian to the max. The original 60's formulas of Guerlain, caron, Evyan, Lanvin, Rochas, Weil, Mary Chess, Matchabelli, Frances denney, Borghese. I want Femme, Ecusson, Tigress, Opium, Jolie Madame, Zibeleine Secret de Venus, Magie Noir, Quadrille, Abano. Has anyone smelled the original Bandit? I have, and it was to die for. Ecusson Bath Oil sent rivers running down the walls. I used to mix civet oil with the 70's Fracas, and men would follow me home. That's the feeling I want to feel when I smell a fragrance.

My main two are Metallica and Iris Ganache, fortunately,I have more than enough of both stashed to keep me going. There are others but they are the 2 I never want to be without.

I try not to get attached to discontinued fragrances since, well, it seems a little futile. I do, however, experience pangs of disappointment every time I think of Nina Ricci's Farouche (already previously mentioned) :'(

Other cult/fave discontinued scents as I see it: Dolce & Gabbana By, Guet Apens, Parure, Apres l'ondee parfum, Rochas Byzance, Gucci No. 3, Shiseido Inoui, Giorgio Armani Armani & Gio, Fendi, Nombre Noir (haven't tried that last one but it's cult!).

Reformulated beyond recognition: Caron Tabac Blond/Farnesiana/Poivre/probaby all the urns, Jean Patou Joy, YSL Opium, Coco, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Jicky, Poison, Miss Dior (the *real* one)... Wait, we might as well list ALL the classics here. The Carons are the most tragic, though; at least the Guerlains and Miss Dior are still great perfumes in their own right.

This is my favorite sort of thread as I desperately miss some of these old scents. Weil was such a glorious house, and if I could time travel, I'd sneak back and buy up all those 9.99 bottles of Zibeline, Weil de Weil and Antilope I used to see. One Perfect Rose is another beauty and I have few bottles of that from an auction, so I can still appreciate it's splendor. Another I miss is Audace which was lovely and did not hang around long. Balenciaga's Cialenga was a great scent,and I also covet original Vent Vert...sigh. Cult status certainly goes to One Perfect Rose, Zibeline and maybe My Sin by Lanvin which was once so iconic.

Here's a few more to add to the list, well, they're the ones I love anyway.

Lanvin My Sin
    Shocking de Schiaparelli
    Bal a Versailles
    Weil Zibeline, Antilope
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Quote Originally Posted by chypre View Post
    I try not to get attached to discontinued fragrances since, well, it seems a little futile. I do, however, experience pangs of disappointment every time I think of Nina Ricci's Farouche (already previously mentioned) :'(

Other cult/fave discontinued scents as I see it: Dolce & Gabbana By, Guet Apens, Parure, Apres l'ondee parfum, Rochas Byzance, Gucci No. 3, Shiseido Inoui, Giorgio Armani Armani & Gio, Fendi, Nombre Noir (haven't tried that last one but it's cult!).

Reformulated beyond recognition: Caron Tabac Blond/Farnesiana/Poivre/probaby all the urns, Jean Patou Joy, YSL Opium, Coco, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Jicky, Poison, Miss Dior (the *real* one)... Wait, we might as well list ALL the classics here. The Carons are the most tragic, though; at least the Guerlains and Miss Dior are still great perfumes in their own right.
    Fendi is a big loss to fragrance lovers
    Yes. The poor Caron's! How I love Poivre and Narcisse Noir. Another one I never hear about, ever, was Robert Piguet's Musc Blanc. It is very special.

Aqua Manda has come out again check ebay uk its about £40 no idea of the smell sorry

Thats sounds like the retail price...
    http://www.aquamandaperfume.com
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

This thread is one of my favorite subjects. I agree with so many of your posts. Others have inspired me to create a list of fragrances to look for. My list includes:
    -Mystere, Rochas (has anyone smelled the new?)
    -Rive Gauche, YSL
    -Armani, Armani
    -Cabochard, Gres
    -Vent Vert, Balmain
    -Haston, Halston (doesn't get a lot of love but I think it was truly a great scent)
    -Gucci III, (I have a pretty good vintage bottle of edt. It's gorgeous.)
    -Metal, Paco Rabanne (this one is on my wish lust)
    “Let the beauty we love, be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.” -Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by sunny82 View Post
    This thread is one of my favorite subjects. I agree with so many of your posts. Others have inspired me to create a list of fragrances to look for. My list includes:
    -Metal, Paco Rabanne (this one is on my wish lust)
    Hyacinth galore.

Thanks to Cacio for introducing to me.

for swap/sale:

Norma Kamali Incense & Slumberhouse Baque.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I neglected to mention another old favorite from Molyneux, although most from this wonderful old house have been axed, Gauloise is one I really used to love ...though I never "got" the cigarette thing, I'm sure that had something to do with its demise. Fête was another good one.

Oy, now this is a whole different can o' worms! I'll just stick to the ones in my own wardrobe.

Let's see...

Dior Dune and Miss Dior
    Krizia K de Krizia
    Patou 1000 and Sublime
    Givenchy III
    Coty Emeraude
    Halston
    Caron Infini
    Ralph Lauren (as already mentioned) Lauren and Safari
    Ungaro Diva
    Balmain Vent Vert, Miss Balmain and Ivoire
    La Perla La Perla
    YSL Opium and Rive Gauche
    Calvin Klein Obsession
    Rochas Femme and Lumière
    Worth Je Reviens
    Jean Desprez Bal à Versailles
    VCA Gem (this might actually be entirely gone)

...there are *so* many more, but I can't be sure without double-checking whether they've been reformulated, or if they're entirely gone or just in limited distribution, so I'll leave it at that, but I'm sure others will have lots more worth mentioning.
    This is very similar to my list.

I'm very lucky to own vintage parfum of Miss Dior, Dune, Givenchy III, Miss Balmain, Opium, Gucci No 3, Ivoire and Obsession, but there are loads that I see up for grabs that I simply can't afford.

I've come to the conclusion that the way to guarantee that a perfume is discontinued is for me to fall in love with it.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Cadolle No9, Paris base underwear company made it back in the 1920s. Gorgeous fragrance I have a mini of the edt and the full size edp.
    DONNA

SFMedusa said "I've come to the conclusion that the way to guarantee that a perfume is
    discontinued is for me to fall in love with it.
    "

Me too! And don't forget lipstick shades are the same way. One moment on my lips and it's gone from all make-up counters forever.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

Oh so true, Betsy!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two!
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

I can hardly believe that Coty Wild Musk Oil is not on the list. Had to add that one!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    Ysatis, although I like the reformulation

Also discontinued:

Youth Dew Amber Nude
    I had no idea Youth Dew Amber Nude was discontinued. I'm quite a fan and have an almost full bottle of it plusthe body lotion. How sad.

For us it's Karmala, from Avon's Mark line. Hands down. This is up to US$40-75 on Ebay and it only cost about $15 new, so that's quite an increase. I bought bottles for both my grown daughters from some Avon LABC up in Ohio before they were gone, so we each have one. We will miss it when all used up. I wouldn't put it at 'cult status' but it was only out for about a year and has been discontinued for 9 and still people talk about it, still being sold on the ebay. Not bad for an under $20 scent.