Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Insanely Underpriced Gems

Frags that are so cheap that you would not mind paying twice or 3 times as much for them!!

Lanvin Avant Garde - $22
    Versace Dreamer - $ 25

Those are the cheapest prices on Ebay for the 3.4 oz bottles..
    If I had to I would pay double for the Lanvin and maybe triple for Dreamer..

What are some of yours?

Default Re: Insanely Underpriced Gems

I wouldn't say "insanely" , but it's indeed underpriced based on what you get.

I think you already know what i'm gonna write : 24 Gold
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post

I can see 24 Gold being a $100 frag..

I agree with Lanvin Avant Garde being a great choice. I have some other fragrances coming in the mail so maybe I'll add them to the list but as of right now:

Burberry London can be found for $30 for a big 3.3 oz. tester on Beauty Encounter.
    Fleur du Male $27-$35 on Amazon
    Jungle Pour Homme $40 on Amazon
    Silver Shadow - Davidoff $19 for 1.7 oz. on Amazon
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him $30 for 1.7 oz. on Amazon
    Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme $33 or less on Beauty Encounter
    Michael Jordan Legend $15 for 3.4 oz. on Amazon
    L'Essence de Cerutti $23 for 1.7 oz. on Amazon
    Cerruti pour Homme 3.3 oz. on Amazon through Perfumania for $15
    Last edited by Ronin; 10th February 2014 at 05:53 AM.

Balenciaga pour Homme is very reasonably priced on eBay, given its quality.

Rive Gauche Pour Homme, when I bought it a year or so back, was around $30 on Amazon.

Oscar For Men is similarly priced, and good stuff, as is Zirh Ikon.

I also remember not paying all that much for Bvlgari Black on Amazon.

Basenotes Plus

Encre Noir - it goes for about $35 for 3.4oz, but it's worth $100+. There have been comparisons of it to Chanel Sycomore - I don't find it all that similar really, but I have to say while Sycomore is indeed great and I have a big bottle, I find Encre Noir extremely enjoyable in its own right and perfectly wearable any time, any place, dressed up or down. If you like vetiver, this one is one of the best ones out there, regardless of the price.

Burberry London - I don't care for most Burberry fragrances, but this one is very well made. Soft tobacco leaf, smooth, very nice. Often overlooked little gem.

Mr.Blass by Bill Blass - I just picked up a 4.2oz bottle for $14.99. OMG, this one is just amazing in this price range, it's easily worth 5 times this price. It's sort of in the same boat as Carven Homme scent and quality wise, with a slightly stronger leather note. Totally a hidden gem, you'd never expect this quality for 15 bucks (with free shipping to boot!). This one is an INSANELY underpriced gem.

Carven Homme - discontinued, and prices on eBay have already gone up to around $100, but there are couple people here on BN who have stocked up and are offering it at still very decent prices ($40-ish?). It's somewhat similar to another BN favorite, Gucci Envy (and somewhat similar to Mr.Blass, see above).

Samba skin. A $15 version of pure havane. Also j's exte man smells real similar to dhi at a fraction of the cost.
    Last edited by Maxpower99; 10th February 2014 at 07:06 AM.

Now that the Muglers have come back down to the regular price, I think Pure Havane and Pure Malt are very well priced, especially if you can get them at a discount place, like Fragrancenet.

Other great deals:

Burberry London (but buy an atomizer to reapply because it's pretty much gone in 1-2 hours)
    Cereus # 4 and 7 used to be $125.00 fragrances. They are both nice fragrances and and can be found very cheaply on eBay.
    Rive Gauche
    Aramis Havana
    Gendarme by Gendarme
    L'Occitane Eau des Baux
    Parfums de Nicolai Cologne Cedrat
    Parfums de Nicolai Cologne Sologne
    Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts
    Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien
    Le Couvent des Minimes Eau des Missions Botanical Cologne of the Missions
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...emons-Batucada

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post

Mr.Blass by Bill Blass - I just picked up a 4.2oz bottle for $14.99. OMG, this one is just amazing in this price range, it's easily worth 5 times this price. It's sort of in the same boat as Carven Homme scent and quality wise, with a slightly stronger leather note. Totally a hidden gem, you'd never expect this quality for 15 bucks (with free shipping to boot!). This one is an INSANELY underpriced gem.

).
    +1

Blind bought this because of reviews and the price was so low. Was not disappointed.

Bulgari black $30
    Rive gauche $40
    Old spice $10
    Versace Dreamer $30
    Most Burberry $30 - $50
    Ted Lapidus Altimar $20
    Nautica Voyage - $15

These are Australian prices which are very cheap considering that we generally pay more for fragrances here.

Cerruti pour homme
    Rochas Man
    Versace The Dreamer

Solara For Men $8 net. Don't need extras though.

(4019)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Bogart Witness comes to my mind. Fragrancenet currently has 1 oz. bottles for less than $12 with a coupon code.

Not insanely cheap, but fragrances I would pay triple what they are going for:

Kenneth Cole Black
    Perry Ellis 360 Red
    Dirty English
    Nautica Voyage
    Ambre Baldessarini
    Versace Man Eau Fraiche

I agree! How's that Oud Edition working out?
    Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post

The Aramis range (pretty much)

Bottega DV Pour Homme
    Yohji Homme -- Re-issue
    Anything by 'Laboratory'

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I agree! How's that Oud Edition working out?
    It's very nice. You basically take the original 24 gold and add woody/spicy to it :

Opening : 24 Gold + Cinnamon and nutmeg

Heart : 24 Gold + tons of birch

Drydown : 24 Gold + birch and agarwood
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Mauboussin M Generation is my favorite 100ml for under $50, hands down.

Blog Entries

Diesel Plus Plus Masculine by Diesel - $15 for 2.5 oz
    Rive Gauche Pour Homme by YSL (tin can) - $25 for 4.2 oz
    Zino by Davidoff (script lettering) - $15 for 4.2 oz

Cuba Gold
    Cuba Red
    Michael Jordan Legend
    Yacht Man Blue
    Paris Hilton's Just Me (yes I like it and it gets compliments even from strangers for some reason)
    Jeanne Arthes Cotton Club or Supercharged
    Burberry London
    You could easily get all of these for around $80.00 and have a pretty ok "rotation"

Carven Homme - discontinued, and prices on eBay have already gone up to around $100, but there are couple people here on BN who have stocked up and are offering it at still very decent prices ($40-ish?). It's somewhat similar to another BN favorite, Gucci Envy (and somewhat similar to Mr.Blass, see above).
    Where did you find Mr. Blass that cheap? last I looked it was $25+ if I remember right.
    Who sells Carven Homme? That sounds interesting
    "All the best perfumes in history have something that smells like garbage in them; that's what keeps drawing you back."

Perfumes from PdE are precisely that especially Ambre Russe, Wazamba, cuir ottoman!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by expressway View Post
    Where did you find Mr. Blass that cheap? last I looked it was $25+ if I remember right.
    Who sells Carven Homme? That sounds interesting
    Mr.Blass - eBay. Most sellers have it in $20-50 range but some fragrance store had them brand new, shrink wrapped last week listed for $14.99 with free shipping.

Carven Homme - see the for sale forum, ericrico has a few bottles listed there.

Some of the most underrated and, at the same time, (both female and male) underpriced masterpieces are, in my opinion:

Le Dix by Balenciaga
    Je Reviens by Worth
    Ungaro II
    Most fragrances by obscure and affordable German houses like Marbert, Hildegard Braukmann, even the highly popular Muehlens (the latter with a few "obscure zones", less best-selling, but even more worth experimenting)
    Pierre Cardin Iris Sauvage and Cedre Ambre
    Maroussia and Authentic Maroussia by Slava Zaitsev
    most Dali fragrances, especially pour Homme and Le Roi Soleil
    L'Erbolario Neroli
    Revlon Fire&Ice Men
    Yardley Citrus&Wood
    Capucci pour Homme
    Silences de Jacomo
    Tabac by Maurer&Wirtz
    G Man by Gainsboro
    Carlo Colucci Uomo and Uomo Mare
    some of the Zara scents, especially Cedarwood
    Daniel Hechter Caractere

and quite few more, the more I think about it.

Totally agree with the Yardley and tabac and other ones Ken mentioned, also with the "little local gems" angle - it's not always big names and big marketing and some exotic ingredient that makes something good - sometimes, it's just that it simply smells good.

Patrick of Ireland and the re-issue of Yohji Homme are both extremely good value but let's not shout about it in case someone hears and figures it might be time to bump the prices up

I still think the Nicolai line is very reasonably priced considering the quality on offer, but of course that depends ultimately on whether you like the stuff.

Tiffany for Men is also a good buy - the quality of creativity (subjective) and ingredients (objective) in this composition are stellar - I am just waiting for them to get the memo from IFRA so if you haven't at least tried it don't say you weren't warned - something this good just cannot last given the current climate in the industry . . .

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Zino for $15?? The vintage with script lettering? Please tell us where we can buy it! You can't even get the reformulation for less than $24 on eBay.

Chopard Noble Vetiver -- $17 from FragranceNet. Tester bottle with cap. This is not the best vetiver around, but for the price? Superb.
    Lalique Encre Noire - $29 from FragranceNet. Tester bottle with cap. Superb deal!
    JC Dirty English - $26 from FragranceNet. Full bottle. Decent price. Underrated frag, IMHO.
    Last edited by cytherian; 10th February 2014 at 05:42 PM.

Cartier Roadster (on discount)

Chergui (Amazon has it listed for $65 with free shipping)
    +1 on Eau de baux
    +1 on Rochas Man
    Lolita Lempicka au Masculin (I have seen it for as low as $35 on Amazon)
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    Amouage Interlude Man
    Pure Distance M
    Creed Royal Oud
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Absolue Pour le Soir
    MDCI Chypre Palatin
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Ronia J Oud Assam
    Goti Smoke Essenze

Banned
    Blog Entries

CK Shock - 6.8 oz for $30 is insane

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Zino for $15?? The vintage with script lettering? Please tell us where we can buy it! You can't even get the reformulation for less than $24 on eBay.
    +1, I paid more than twice that per ml for a script lettered 75ml, and it was the best price around after a few weeks of watching listings on & off. Have also never seen RG for $25, though it was often posted about being at Wal-Mart for that price. A fragrance store situated a decent drive from here has 4.2 bottles for exactly twice that.

JC Dirty English - $26 from FragranceNet.

FOR SURE - LOVE Dirty English - I have "hoarded" 5 30ml bottles of this stuff

I bought Declaration d'un Soir recently for $38 new in box for the 100ML. I thought that was a pretty sweet deal.

Agree with Avant Garde! Also love Diesel Plus-Plus at $15 and think Amen TOF for less than $50 for a tester bottle is a great deal as well. And as mentioned Paris Hilton Just For Me, Kenneth Cole Black, MJ Legend and Cuba gold/prestige/wild heart all very good for ridiculously cheap prices!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I agree with Lanvin Avant Garde being a great choice. I have some other fragrances coming in the mail so maybe I'll add them to the list but as of right now:

Burberry London can be found for $30 for a big 3.3 oz. tester on Beauty Encounter.
    Fleur du Male $27-$35 on Amazon
    Jungle Pour Homme $40 on Amazon
    Silver Shadow - Davidoff $19 for 1.7 oz. on Amazon
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him $30 for 1.7 oz. on Amazon
    Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme $33 or less on Beauty Encounter
    Michael Jordan Legend $15 for 3.4 oz. on Amazon
    L'Essence de Cerutti $23 for 1.7 oz. on Amazon
    Cerruti pour Homme 3.3 oz. on Amazon through Perfumania for $15
    I saw this deal over the weekend for Cerutti PH and couldn't resist!

Duplicate
    Last edited by bigbz; 10th February 2014 at 08:02 PM.

Blog Entries

I always have to mention Old Spice. when I bought some a couple of years ago it was about $8. It is a yummy floral with some clary sage and some kind of fruit, but not the annoying bubblegum kind. Anyway, for $8-9 how can you go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I always have to mention Old Spice. when I bought some a couple of years ago it was about $8. It is a yummy floral with some clary sage and some kind of fruit, but not the annoying bubblegum kind. Anyway, for $8-9 how can you go wrong?
    Agreed

Easily 24 Gold.

In addition, Bijan Nude for Men. It's like pure ivory soap and it keeps you smelling like you just got out of the shower, all day long. You can get a 75ml for $15 or less. The only problem is the bottle design. All the Bijan bottle designs for men are odd. The bottle looks like facsimile giant woman's ring.

If the folks at Bijan read this, I have to ask: WTF? What genius came up with a design like that for a men's fragrance? I like wearing it but I wouldn't want to display the bottle. You might be able to increase your sales if you came up with a better looking bottle for the guys.

Quote Originally Posted by maricle View Post
    +1, I paid more than twice that per ml for a script lettered 75ml, and it was the best price around after a few weeks of watching listings on & off. Have also never seen RG for $25, though it was often posted about being at Wal-Mart for that price. A fragrance store situated a decent drive from here has 4.2 bottles for exactly twice that.
    I suspect he was just bragging about deals he got below market value. These are NOT current market prices and are even below the going rate when they were more affordable too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    I saw this deal over the weekend for Cerutti PH and couldn't resist!
    You should like it. It's fresh and delightful. Nothing original but that's not a bad thing because all that counts is that it's cheap and it smells great! For $15 for a 3.3 oz. bottle this is a huge bang for the buck.

Kenneth Cole Black

The title is "insanely underpriced gems," not fairly good deals !

This can change quickly, and is mostly the case on ebay. At local discounter stores, you'll sometimes get a good deal, but for example if you already have some Tobacco Vanille or Pure Havane (or even Michael for Men by Kors), as many BNers do, are you really going to get excited about Avant Garde for $22?

I think 50 ml of Devotion for men on ebay right now for about $14 total is great, if you like Envy for Men type scents, but otherwise what i'm mostly seeing here are what I'd call "good deals," at best.

Halston Man Amber. Though harder to find now, a couple years ago it was widely available for 25-35 dollars online, which is an absolute steal.
    Horizon, by Guy Laroche. While I don't think you can get it for literally $1 anymore, it's still a great little scent that is very affordable.

Revert Eco, $10 at rue21 stores. Long-lasting sweet citrus-wood smoothie that really is a gem at its price (supposedly made of natural fragrance oils).

Banned
    Blog Entries

I just won a barely used bottle of Phaedon Grisens 3.4 oz for 42 bucks - free shipping!!
    That qualifies for insane!!

^ Congrats, but this thread isn't about hard to land fantastic scores; it's about gem fragrances that are low priced that anyone reading this can go out and buy.

^ Congrats, but this thread isn't about hard to land fantastic scores; it's about gem fragrances that are low priced that anyone reading this can go out and buy.
    Yes, things that can be had pretty much any day at any Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Gordman's etc or in any local drug store or department store for the most part - OR low price niche gems that are readily available (Sometimes they are regional)

Blog Entries

Zino for $15?? The vintage with script lettering? Please tell us where we can buy it! You can't even get the reformulation for less than $24 on eBay...
    Quote Originally Posted by maricle View Post
    Purchased it from a local store near where I work; owner had dozen of it on sale, along with other bottles. I purchased one as a gift for a relative.

I suspect he was just bragging about deals he got below market value. These are NOT current market prices and are even below the going rate when they were more affordable too.
    Sounds like I made someone jealous of my purchase (3 months ago). I was always under the impression that the price of Zino (script lettering) was just around $30 (the store's regular price), which is still cheaper than the ones most people see. Hence, my original post.

Last edited by del; 11th February 2014 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    I just won a barely used bottle of Phaedon Grisens 3.4 oz for 42 bucks - free shipping!!
    That qualifies for insane!!
    Ah, the excitement of the sweet eBay deal! It sounds like this thread was initially about everyday bargains, but it's hard not to share a good score now and again! Perhaps the best thing would be to keep this one more about the everyday deals so that we can all track them down, though. With that said, congrats on the eBay find!

For me, some of the best deals can be had at Lush. Not only are their scents super creative and unique, they're made with top-shelf materials that would make even the most pricey niche brand blush. Most of them can be had for between $15 and $45, too. One of them (BoG) competes with some of the most pricey scents I own.

Sounds like I made someone jealous of my purchase (3 months ago). I was always under the impression that the price of Zino (script lettering) was just around $30 (the store's regular price), which is still cheaper than the ones most people see. Hence, my original post.
    Well, I can relate. I picked up an older 75ml bottle for $15 shipped off "that auction site" because it was listed under "collectibles" instead of "health & beauty"--no bidding competition. But in monitoring auctions these days I've seen a lot of 125ml bottles of the new stuff sell between $23~$37.

Where in NJ is this store? I'm curious to know if I'm in range.
    Last edited by cytherian; 11th February 2014 at 03:47 AM.

Midnight in paris

Coty Wild Woods is about $10.

Madini Oils Musk Pierre and Ambargris are $15 each.

Christian Lacroix Tumulte pour Homme used to be available at Ross for $15. I think it's probably about $35 now, but it's still not bad at all, if you like cedar.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Christian Lacroix Tumulte pour Homme used to be available at Ross for $15. I think it's probably about $35 now, but it's still not bad at all, if you like cedar.
    Wow, if you can get it for $35 - GET ME SOME - I'll gladly pay for your trouble and shipping costs!! It hasn't sold for this much in years. It goes for about $140 for a 3.4oz bottle on eBay these days. Even the small 1oz bottles go for about $60... I have one 50ml bottle and one small 10ml(?) mini, it is indeed a great little cedar/incense gem. Love this one.

Wow, if you can get it for $35 - GET ME SOME - I'll gladly pay for your trouble and shipping costs!! It hasn't sold for this much in years. It goes for about $140 for a 3.4oz bottle on eBay these days. Even the small 1oz bottles go for about $60... I have one 50ml bottle and one small 10ml(?) mini, it is indeed a great little cedar/incense gem. Love this one.
    I stand corrected.

Bergamotto Marino
    Midnight in Paris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Coty Wild Woods is about $10.

Madini Oils Musk Pierre and Ambargris are $15 each.

Yes! Madinis rock!

Nautical Voyage

caron yuzu man £14.95 from allbeauty

Idk about triple for Dreamer I'm selling mine for $20 pretty much full. Just not my type of juice, a little too synthetic for my taste. At first I liked it but then it started getting to me and felt like it smelled a little outdated for these modern timesand my wardrobe. Definetly gets some love on here though.
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.