Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Insanely Underpriced Gems

Dana Tabu $30 from a physical store, got mine for about $18 on sale though.

"Architect" by Oriflame is cheap as bag of chips (ok, a bit more expensive), but puts many mainstream frags to shame!

Gaultier2

Last year I got 300ml of Tabac for less than 35 bucks SHIPPED TO BRAZIL!!! Thats fairly cheap for a fragrance that could be named "Chanel n5 Pour Homme" and costs 86usd 100ml.

Tobacco 1812
    Le Couvent des Minimes Eau des Missions Botanical Cologne of the Missions
    Mont blanc individuelle
    Pinaud citrus musk cologne/splash

Quorum! Hommage a l'Homme Lalique, Versace l'Homme!

My bottle of Nikos Sculpture arrived yesterday and I gotta say this is one seriously underpriced gem!!!

I bought my last bottle of Quorum online, just for 3 €...

That's quite insane!!!

Further surprisingly under-priced discovery: have noticed that Joop Homme Wild retails a little below 20 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Encre Noir - it goes for about $35 for 3.4oz, but it's worth $100+. There have been comparisons of it to Chanel Sycomore - I don't find it all that similar really, but I have to say while Sycomore is indeed great and I have a big bottle, I find Encre Noir extremely enjoyable in its own right and perfectly wearable any time, any place, dressed up or down. If you like vetiver, this one is one of the best ones out there, regardless of the price.

Burberry London - I don't care for most Burberry fragrances, but this one is very well made. Soft tobacco leaf, smooth, very nice. Often overlooked little gem.

Mr.Blass by Bill Blass - I just picked up a 4.2oz bottle for $14.99. OMG, this one is just amazing in this price range, it's easily worth 5 times this price. It's sort of in the same boat as Carven Homme scent and quality wise, with a slightly stronger leather note. Totally a hidden gem, you'd never expect this quality for 15 bucks (with free shipping to boot!). This one is an INSANELY underpriced gem.

Carven Homme - discontinued, and prices on eBay have already gone up to around $100, but there are couple people here on BN who have stocked up and are offering it at still very decent prices ($40-ish?). It's somewhat similar to another BN favorite, Gucci Envy (and somewhat similar to Mr.Blass, see above).
    About Mr. Blass, I'm curious on this one too and I'm about to order a bottle.

Fashion designer Michael Bastian actually helped this one come to fruition when he was working at Bill Blass before starting his own line, and he mentions it as his signature evening scent.

http://affairwithmb.wordpress.com/20...chael-bastian/

Here is the excerpt:
    "For night, I wear this cologne I did for Bill Blass which unfortunately never saw the light of day (although someone recently told me they saw a billboard for it in South America). It was called Mr. Blass, and is amazing– very heavy and masculine with leather, patchouli, tons of carnation and this new musk the perfumers developed called Human Musk which smells incredibly real and dark and sexy–"

When it comes to fragrances, I have never believed that price = quality.

However, I will list two fragrances that I find completely excellent, and you are able to find them for less than $30 (depending on size).

Body Kouros
    Rochas Man
    Versace Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Further surprisingly under-priced discovery: have noticed that Joop Homme Wild retails a little below 20 USD.
    Wow, it's dropped that much already huh?! I was stoked to get my bottle for low to mid $30 about 6 months ago...and I agree, it's really very good.

Cuba Gold

Quote Originally Posted by mdclx View Post
    I bought my last bottle of Quorum online, just for 3 €...

That's quite insane!!!
    Love Quorum. Hate the poor longevity (on me).
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Never tried the original Quorum, but Quorum Silver is an awesome fragrance at any price.

Sent from Richard's Ipad

When will somebody mention ab spirit silver? I got mine from scenting.com for 24 bucks. Good fragrance

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo0119 View Post
    When will somebody mention ab spirit silver? I got mine from scenting.com for 24 bucks. Good fragrance
    Seconded, although you overpaid, I got mine for $23

Burberry London - I don't care for most Burberry fragrances, but this one is very well made. Soft tobacco leaf, smooth, very nice. Often overlooked little gem.
    I agree, Burberry London is the only one I ever found interesting. Very smooth.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

I'm going to throw in Original Penguin. Very nice. I got 1 oz for $6 at TJs

A few great ones for the price or any price:

Lanvin Homme Sport - Fantastic projection and longevity. Smells awesome and probably the best sport scent I've ever smelled or owned.
    Samba Skin - 100% dead ringer for Thierry Mugler's Pure Havane. Actually the tobacco is more pronounced and has a touch of cinnamon. A steal.
    Zino Davidoff - Might not be for everyone, but I love this one.
    R by Revillion - Heard of Nautica Voyage? Maurice Roucel also made this and it smells like Plat. Egoiste with tonka bean. Another steal.
    Maxim's Pour Homme - A great spicy/woody/floral that's getting harder and harder to find.

I got vintage Quorum for some 20 EUR/50 ml and that's surely a gem. Another underpriced good scent - not a "gem", though, just better than expected - is Arrogance Uomo, some 10/15 EUR (75 ml) in many shops here. My guilty pleasure, but I like to wear it!
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Slumberhouse - Ore
    Parfum d'Empire - Cuir Ottoman
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Geo F Trumper - Curzon

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

My sales - WORLDWIDE | Vtg Signoricci 1 & Signoricci 2 - EDT 200 ML BNIB | http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...DT-200-ML-BNIB

Yatagan-Caron
    Paris Hilton(don't know what it's called but comes in blue bottle)
    Third Man-Caron
    Bogart Pour Homme

Pino Sylvestre - $5 ? (one of the most comforting winter fragrances)
    Axe Musk - $4 ? ( beautiful retro barbershop powdery rose)
    Pure Cacao $7 ? ( most beautiful chocalate perfume I have ever encountered)
    Roxanne $10 ? (superior blend of Chanel no5)
    Mont St Michel, Cologne Fracheur Intense $10, (the most beautiful eau de cologne I have ever smelled)....edp strength and lasts forever.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Revlon That Man

Cereus no.7 currently under $25 on ebay

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    ...Pure Cacao $7 ? ( most beautiful chocalate perfume I have ever encountered)....
    Pure Cacao .... Sounds like something I'd enjoy. But it looks like it is hard to find. Do you know a place where to buy it online?

Basenotes Junkie

Default Insanely Underpriced Gems

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Pino Sylvestre - $5 ? (one of the most comforting winter fragrances)
    Axe Musk - $4 ? ( beautiful retro barbershop powdery rose)
    Pure Cacao $7 ? ( most beautiful chocalate perfume I have ever encountered)
    Roxanne $10 ? (superior blend of Chanel no5)
    Mont St Michel, Cologne Fracheur Intense $10, (the most beautiful eau de cologne I have ever smelled)....edp strength and lasts forever.
    Thanks for your mention of Mont St Michel David. I have purchased a FB of the Fraicheur Intense online, blind. For the price, what's the worst that could happen? And this is one of my favorite frag categories, so the potential upside surprise was too tempting. Never heard of this line before, so thanks for the heads up!
    Last edited by JourneymanDave; 8th June 2014 at 03:31 AM.

Basenotes Junkie

Oh, I would add Ungaro pour L'Homme III to this list. $23 for a 4.2oz FB. I've never sniffed the earlier versions, which were apparently superior, but they are now discontinued and prices driven up by scarcity.

Encre Noir - it goes for about $35 for 3.4oz, but it's worth $100+. There have been comparisons of it to Chanel Sycomore - I don't find it all that similar really, but I have to say while Sycomore is indeed great and I have a big bottle, I find Encre Noir extremely enjoyable in its own right and perfectly wearable any time, any place, dressed up or down. If you like vetiver, this one is one of the best ones out there, regardless of the price.

Mr.Blass by Bill Blass - I just picked up a 4.2oz bottle for $14.99. OMG, this one is just amazing in this price range, it's easily worth 5 times this price. It's sort of in the same boat as Carven Homme scent and quality wise, with a slightly stronger leather note. Totally a hidden gem, you'd never expect this quality for 15 bucks (with free shipping to boot!). This one is an INSANELY underpriced gem.

Carven Homme - discontinued, and prices on eBay have already gone up to around $100, but there are couple people here on BN who have stocked up and are offering it at still very decent prices ($40-ish?). It's somewhat similar to another BN favorite, Gucci Envy (and somewhat similar to Mr.Blass, see above).
    Great post. I would add Ungaro III ($22 for 3.4 oz on Amazon), one of Jacques Polge's early classics. You could probably find it cheaper elsewhere.

Off the beaten path, Elsa 1776 is a great leather scent. Costs $43, but you get 8 ounces.

Budget Italian brands/houses like Tesori d'Oriente or L'Erbolario- might have mentioned them again in the past or similar threads or even hinted at them before within this thread, but cannot overlook two reliable sources for underrated and under-priced gems.

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    Thanks for your mention of Mont St Michel David. I have purchased a FB of the Fraicheur Intense online, blind. For the price, what's the worst that could happen? And this is one of my favorite frag categories, so the potential upside surprise was too tempting. Never heard of this line before, so thanks for the heads up!
    Where did you order the Mont St. Michel?

Donimo

Kenzo POwer