Code of Conduct

Default Tobacco Vanille reformulation?

Hey all!

I'm brand new here. Been reading for a LONG time but only just registered. This forum is what sparked my interest in scents and since first reading topics on here my collection has grown to over 30 scents!

I tried to find an answer to this but failed (even from a google search) but i HAVE read that Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille was reformulated a few years ago. My question is - what changed?

The first decant i ever bought of TV i found to be a projection, sillage and longevity BEAST. Lasted EASILY 24 hours on me and i had random people on the train coming up to me and complimenting me on the smell. Tobacco note was quite subdued but the creamy vanilla was SUPER strong and brilliant. I literally had more than one girl tell me they want to eat me. The thing i liked about it the most was that i'm a smoker and my mother (who is an ex smoker and can't STAND the smell of people who smoke) started to notice that it was "eating" the smell of cigarettes on my clothes. Interesting phenomenon as she's especially sensitive to the smell of cigarettes on people - although from research i did find that vanilla "eats" smells and you can put vanilla essence in a fridge to get rid of bad smells...

But i digress...

I then went ahead and bought 50ml of it. No cheap feat. But disappointingly the cologne i received was not the creamy, beautiful, edible vanilla that i once tried. At first spray there was a spicy tobacco note that, to this day, makes me sneeze every time i spray it. It dries down to a creamy vanilla but the strength just isn't there. It lasts an hour or three on my skin tops and people don't notice any more. I even asked a girlfriend of mine if she had smelled the vanilla on my recently and she said no.

SO what gives? Is the first one i received the old one or the new one? Is there any way to tell which is which before i buy it? I can't go and buy it in a store as i don't want to spend $400 at once...

Also, sorry for the really long first post but this has bothered me for a while!

Cheers.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tobacco Vanille reformulation?

I have not heard of any reformulation but then again it's not like Tom Ford will say it's weaker..
    Maybe the seller had a bottle that was improperly stored for a long period..
    As you mentioned TV has tremendous projection..

That's what i've heard but this "new one" also has a much stronger tobacco note. A spicy tobacco that's overpowering at first spray! Then it just... disappears.

My original thought was improper storage but could that really account for a completely different composition on the scent?

Basenotes Plus

I didn't know about the reformulation. On me, it's spicy vanilla with tobacco in background. On clothing, 2 days later, more tobacco, less vanilla. I am getting great projection & longevity.

Wasn't aware that there was a reformulation of this either. Have tried it recently and to me it seemed the same as I remembered it.

(4069)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Haven't heard anything about a reformulation. As previously mentioned, the fragrance may have bee improperly stored.

Seems as strong to me as always

Sounds like a 'moody' version to me -- where or who did you buy it from?

It's funny, I was just searching for a thread on this the other day! So I had a decant that I got a couple of years ago, and another I bought more recently. I just finished the first one, and it was the beast others have described. I actually got a complaint about it last time I wore it (and only with a couple of sprays). On first wear of the second/newer decant, it seems different. More tobacco, less super-sweetness, and not as potent. It could be the second decant isn't legit, but I actually think it smells nice, of the same TF quality, and isn't far from the other decant at all. Just...softer. My first reaction was "is this a reformulation?!"

It's never been reformulated. It smells the same as it ever has. I still have a little bit left of my very first bottle, and smells exactly like my new one.

I don't know of Tom Ford reformulating anything. He just discontinues perfumes when their time is up.

Doubtful, but hopefully it no longer smells like a candle.

Quote Originally Posted by BenDayDot View Post
    It's funny, I was just searching for a thread on this the other day! So I had a decant that I got a couple of years ago, and another I bought more recently. I just finished the first one, and it was the beast others have described. I actually got a complaint about it last time I wore it (and only with a couple of sprays). On first wear of the second/newer decant, it seems different. More tobacco, less super-sweetness, and not as potent. It could be the second decant isn't legit, but I actually think it smells nice, of the same TF quality, and isn't far from the other decant at all. Just...softer. My first reaction was "is this a reformulation?!"
    This pretty much sums up my experience entirely. First one was AMAZING and the projection monster everyone was talking about.

These days, 4 sprays - neck, stomach (under shirt) chest (shirt) and back of the neck and i've legitimately gone and asked friends if they can smell it and one of them said they'd thought i'd stopped wearing it. There's DEFINITELY soemthing different. The tobacco is much stronger, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Seems as strong to me as always

Sounds like a 'moody' version to me -- where or who did you buy it from?
    "moody" version? Not sure what you mean by that...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGee View Post
    "moody" version? Not sure what you mean by that...
    As in it may be funky somehow, gone bad or otherwise.

Interesting....

One of my complaints about TV is the nuclear projection and overpowering vanilla. Perhaps IF it was reforumlated and the vanilla was tamed down and added more tobacco, then I'd actually welcome the change. Tobacco has always been one of my favorite notes. Of course, this is one of the few heavier fragrances that my pregnant wife actually tolerates (actually...she loves this one).

Having said that, I tend to agree with the notion that you got an "off" bottle somewhere.

My 100 ml bottle came in on Friday, 3 days ago directly from Neiman Marcus online, which would make it as new as they come. Today is the first day I'm testing it. I will compare with my samples when I get home. I have one sample from Nordstroms tester into atomizer sample, and one 4ml sample from eBay. On the Nordstroms sample, I did notice exactly what everyone was describing: tobacco with Vanilla, transforming to a vanilla dry down. I will post back later tonight. But so far, I applied one spray to each wrist and one to the chest at 8:15am. It is 1:18 pm 5 hours later, and I still smell it just as much as I first sprayed it on this morning. So there are definitely no longevity problems with this new one from NM.

I am home. 10 hours later, I can still smell the fragrance on my skin and it's still projecting, although it is slightly weaker now but still noticeable and projecting. I was able to test all 3 on different parts of my skin, all smell the same. The one I own smelling the strongest, but maybe because it sprays out more per spritz due to bottle size.

FWIW, batch codes for each are: mine/Neim Marcus (AB3 manuf. Nov 2013), Nordstroms (B93 manuf. Sept 2013), eBay (A53 manuf. May 2013).The dates are all kind've newish so not sure how much that helps, but I have no problems with projection and still lasting/going strong.

Ok, update: I decided to give my newer decant of TV a fuller wearing, and I realize what my issue was: new decant is a rollerball, and so I think my initial application was just much more sparing than what you get with a spray. I dabbed a little more generously, and now I'm getting something much more like the effect I was familiar with. Longevity has been fine too. It seems I joined in the reformulation speculation a bit prematurely

How much juice do the actual bottles spray out? Sparingly, moderate, or heavy?

The reason I ask is because I have a decant of TV that I think is sub-par. I have the same issues as the OP. Its not nuclear like ive read. Maybe there is a bad bottle or two floating around out there.

There's definitely two different tv's.. or possibly the top notes dissipate from the flacon from exposure to air idk. But i tried one from a 1.7oz spray at saks & it had a vibrant cherry tobacco top & dried down to a rich vanilla with dried fruits. Then i got a sample from a 8oz flacon (4ml glass vile) and it was straight vanilla from the start. Also got a split of the same vanilla top. So the op isn't imagining things. So guys that had the tobacco top notes and guys who got vanilla top notes.. what did you try? Decant/sample or spray bottle?