Code of Conduct

Default Scents for a smoker?

I know this has been done before - but it's been a while and new scents are around all the time and people become more knowledgeable. So instead of resurrecting an old thread i thought i'd start a new one!

Please refrain from "don't smoke" etc. I know i shouldn't smoke. Yes i've tried to quit.

Scents that either cut through cigarette smoke or don't fight with it. For instance, i've noticed most fruity or fresh scents don't work well for me. Combines to form this rotten fruit in an ashtray kind of vibe. Vanilla scents i've noticed work well, as with darker and heavier scents.

Preferably something not too niche that will still be appreciated by the average person?

I realise this is incredibly specific but i've been reading Basenotes for a long time and i know people here have great insight into perfumes and can be really helpful!

Cheers!

Default Re: Scents for a smoker?

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather.

Well I am FAR from the expert but I am a former smoker and know what you mean (I just quit about 2 and a 1/2 years ago and I was a heavy smoker) - anyway - I find that complimentary scents work well - some of these could be Versace Dreamer, Quorum, Pure Havane, Aramis Havana, Cubano Gold, Cuba Gold, Cuba Red, Jasmin et Cigarette, Estee Lauder Mustang, CK One Shock and many others that feature tobacco as either a soft or prominent note - those should give you a few to try though, most are very affordable too and easily found.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Being a smoker myself
    GPH
    D&G PH
    Tom Ford TV
    Pure Malt

D & G Pour Homme
    The Dreamer
    Joop

Also I have a friend who smokes and wears Dior Homme Intense and this smells quite good with smoke

I'm no longer a smoker so this is just a stab in the dark, but I think Creed Royal Oud might work well with cigarette smoke.

Good suggestions already. In general, male perfumes from the 70s and 80s were designed with smokers in mind, most men used to smoke back then. And in fact, they tend to be powerhouse, darker things. Examples of classics from the era include not too expensive things like Aramis, Aramis 900, Azzaro pour homme, Paco Rabanne pour homme, Kouros.

cacio

Hard Leather by LM Parfums - can cut through anything.

(4051)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Investigate Volutes by Diptyque. According to the story on their website, Volutes was inspired by the aroma of swirling spirals of cigarette smoke on a ship deck.

Encre Noire
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Having dated a smoker, something about cigarette smoke vastly improves the mediocre Ralph Lauren Romance Silver...or maybe it was just him...

Mugler Pure Havane or Sonoma Scent Studio Winter Woods.

Aramis Havana.

Rose 31
    Versace Man

Boss N1
    Michael by Michael Kors
    Pure Malt

There was literally an identical thread not very long ago. I guarantee not one new fragrance has been launched since then. It even featured the same type of "don't lecture me" Intro.

Sound Scents

+1 Havana by Aramis

My recommendation is seeking out a bottle of the discontinued Davidoff (original) if you can find it on eBay... It compliments a smoker quite well.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

+1 for Pure Havane.

I knew a guy that smoked and was always getting compliments on his cologne....which was the vintage Polo (green) of all things! For whatever reason, it worked for him.

I'd recommend Tom Ford's Italian Cypress if you wanted to try it now. Much smoother and more contemporary than Polo.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ns-L-deCerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Another one for Havana.

I smoke cigars regularly... Platinum Egoiste seems to compliment. The metallic note is actually useful in this case.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Two over many: Hilde Soliani Bell'Antonio and the mythical Aramis Havana. Don't forget also Jacomo de Jacomo, Casbah, Michael for Man by Michael Kors, Acqua di cuba, Cigar by Remy Latour, C&S Cuba, Pure Havana, Tabacco Toscano and in my opinion also Basala.
    Last edited by Darvant; 11th February 2014 at 12:26 PM.

Not a smoker but +1 on Quorum. Very inexpensive so worth a shot. I can't see it *fighting* with cig scent.

Pure Havane or Tobacco Vanille

I don't advocate for smoking but my step-father(smoker) rocks Drakkar or Aramis Aramis for men and boy he exudes masculinity and would say epitomizes a men's man odor.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Polo (Green)

I enjoy Alfred dunhill for men (1934) mixing with good tobacco smoke. I roll my own cigarettes not so much to smoke them, but more so i can get my favorite smoke smell. Peter stokkabye Norwegian shag is my favorite.

At some point I'll try smoking a dunhill while wearing dunhill '34.. For that British throwback feel.

Echo on the Dunhill & Davidoff recommendations. I'll add Vermeil for Men... the bottle mimmicks a giant lighter.

vermeil for me.jpg
    Simplex Sigillum Veri