Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Tuesday, 11 February, 2014.

Frederic Malle-
    Iris Poudre
    Currently wearing: White Flowers by Creed

Xscent, I feel for you! There was this play I wanted to see and it was always playing where I happened not to be!
    I miss London, I lived there for three years while at the Royal College of Art. I so want to go back for a few weeks, and now I moved to Dallas! Maybe I can persuade the Q to go this summer.

Evangeline, you are so noble, so self-effacing... to be willing to take care and provide a good home for neglected bottles....

Robin-inFl, hilarious! Yeah why not just pop over the the Neiman Marcus and spend $10.000.... Nutters! It's insulting actually. In so many dfferent ways.

For me: I am fine again today, will be careful with food though. I tried to spritz my vintage Amazone again ths morning, a little spritz came out but nothing more and some of the juice just dribbled underneath the sprayer. Any ideas what I can do about it?
    So my SotD is still vintage Amazone by Hermès.

This is me and my horse, riding sidesaddle
    Last edited by FrouFrou; 11th February 2014 at 03:42 PM.
    www.aafke-art.com

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Kumquat, love your picture! Perfect!
    www.aafke-art.com

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mmm, loving all these irises today!

ExtremeK, that's too bad about Bois d'Iris; it lasts a lot longer on me than 2.5 hours. I was lucky enough to get a partial bottle from a seller here on BN for a steal. My favorite Infusion d'Iris is the EDP. I actually didn't care too much for the Absolue, which surprised me.

kumquat, you smell great! What a beautiful painting.

Edit to comment on Frou's GORGEOUS photo - you must have posted while I have been composing this reply. That sweet beautiful smile on your face (I love to see someone smiling with their eyes), the costume, your hair, the pearl earrings, that wonderful horse. I love it!! Thank you for sharing!
    Last edited by ErinK; 11th February 2014 at 03:57 PM.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Knize Ten. A true love.
    Currently wearing: Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Good morning! I'm braving 0 degree weather in Chergui and tall boots.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I had an odd dream this morning involving a very elegant, female double-agent who was wearing l'air du temps. That's about all I can remember.
    Dreaming of moi perchance?

Happy coincidence, I chose Bois des Iles this morning, too! DH is adding up the numbers to do our taxes, so he's sitting nearby and BdI has his seal of approval.

Nice notions:
    Xscent: “Over caterer.”
    Jujy: “Force field.”
    Trilby Lark: Happy almost anniversary. Enjoy the journey.
    Frou Frou: You look like a Nordic warrior princess.

Haven't been watching the Olympics, but have heard oodles of sad stories about the accommodations, including no pillows?! How's an athlete supposed to get a good night’s sleep. I love my small cadre of feather pillows.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Institution

FrouFrou: Try this: http://www.ehow.com/how_5832630_remo...#ixzz1kPrXOR1p
    saminlondon - you will LOVE VdN extrait. It's fantastic!
    ComDiva - I am almost all out of my L'Eau d'Hiver mini bottle. I will miss it when it's gone. Although I get a similar vibe from my Apres l'Ondee
    Trilby Lark - when Tom Ford released his Private Blends, eons ago, I bought a 12-pack sampler from The Perfumed Court. I was one of the 1st BN'rs to smell all of them then (they were only sold in his Madison Ave boutique for the 1st few months). Tuscan Leather was one of the first that I fell in love with. Love that car-interior-meets-raspberry note. Enjoy!
    Xscent - I am jealous at all of the cool social events you attend. Very eclectic. I attended something similar years ago, when the Merce Cunningham Dance Company did a piece with Sigur Ros playing live.
    ExtremeK - you're welcome. I hope more people see that video. It's adorable & very uplifting. And if I had to choose one version of Infusion d'Iris it would be the Absolue.

Wearing (from a decant from 30 Roses):

Aqua Allegoria Flora Nerolia by Guerlain

That hit of jasmine, in the top, is almost narcotic. It brought a smile to my face when I sprayed it on. To quote helg from Perfume Shrine (who is a big fan of AAFN):
    Guerlain captured the ethereal vapors of steam off these delicate, ravishing blossoms and married them to a pre-emptying summer jasmine (middle-ground indolic) and the faint whiff of cool frankincense burning inside a Greek Orthodox church preparing for the country's most devout celebration: Easter. The citrusy aspects of frankincense compliment the fruitier aspects of neroli. Musk in the form of synthetic Cashmeran is anchoring the effect on skin. Guerlain's Flora Nerolia (a part of the original line up in the Aqua Allegoria line in 2000 composed by perfumer Mathilde Laurent) is like a snapshot of late Lent in Greece and for that reason is absolutely precious to me.
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mauboussin Histoire d' Eau

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    saminlondon - you will LOVE VdN extrait. It's fantastic!
    I do love it! I'm just wondering how big a bee bottle I can get away with (and whether anyone would share it with me ).

Basenotes Plus

Now that's what I call a Bond Girl

SotE - Versace Black Jeans.

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 11th February 2014 at 06:48 PM.

Blog Entries

Aw, thanks Evangeline! l always think of you when l wear it, too.

Xscent; thanks, l had a lovely day. And l also love the "over-caterer" phrase; please count me in for that get-together!

Erin; that sounds like a great dinner to me.

FrouFrou; that photo is amazing! And l swear your horse is smiling for the camera.

Twinning with several of you lovely people in Bois des lsles this evening; the last of my sample.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Dreaming of moi perchance?...
    Mais, bien sûr, Mme. Q !

Jicky (extrait) tonight.
    Best to all.

Champagne and Miss Piggy... *swoon*
    More splashing of Sous le Vent tonight.
    Where is dear Wolfie? I hope she is well.
    Sam, if I hadn't bunkered some Vol de Nuit Extrait already I'd have been game for your split.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    I do love it! I'm just wondering how big a bee bottle I can get away with (and whether anyone would share it with me ).
    Ah, going for the big guns, eh? Wow, good luck.
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hey y'all -

Well, I do hate to ever be the bearer of bad news or make y'all feel obligated to sympathize (really, I'm okay) but my aunt, my mârraine, died suddenly last night and my mother is inconsolable, which is difficult to witness as I've only seen her cry about five times in my life. But even in her grief, she's got to deal with contacting relatives, arranging the funeral, and settling all the things that must be settled now, and she needs help, so we'll be flying to France this afternoon. I'm just waiting for Tony to take us to the airport (me and Mom - he and Dad will be joining us later this week.) She lived in Angers, so that's where we're going and I imagine we'll be staying in her house ....her big, sad, empty house. She had dogs ...I wonder what's being done with them. Anyway, I have no idea how long it's going to take or even when or where the funeral might be, so I guess I could be gone for a while. Y'all take care, be well and be happy. Bye. xo

Oh, and I'm out of magnolias for now and back in roses, Shiseido's White Rose, beautiful and radiant enough to have a comforting presence and sheer and soft enough for a long, probably crowded, international flight.

Oh, FrouFrou - is that Al Tarq? He's magnificent, and you look absolutely splendid up there! I've also been meaning to tell you that I love "Pom in the sink". I don't paint much anymore but when I did, it was usually to paint one of my cats.

I've also been wondering where Wolfie is - hugs to you ((Wolfie)), wherever you are.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 11th February 2014 at 07:30 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Evangeline, we will be thinking of you and your family. We'll miss you, of course. All best, heartfelt wishes.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Plus

Thoughts and best wishes with you and yours, Mrs E - my sincerest condolences.

Blog Entries

(((((((((Evangeline))))))))) my love & thoughts go out to you & your family. Take care & remember we'll all be thinking of you.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Jil Sander Feeling Man

Evangeline my deepest sympathy to you and yours. Safe travels.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran
    Currently wearing: Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Blog Entries

Yes, Evangeline, my thoughts are with you and your mother. So sorry to hear the sad news.
    Currently wearing: White Flowers by Creed

Evangeline, very sorry to read about your loss. Al my sympathy for you and your mother.
    www.aafke-art.com

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry to read that, Evangeline. She cannot have been very old, your aunt. Your poor mother!

((Mike)), you smell marvelous!

(((Evangeline))), sending hugs and wonderful memories to you and your family. I know it is hard to see your mother grieve. She's so lucky to have you there for her.

In No.19 EDP this evening.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Hugs to Evangeline and more for Danieq. Prayers going out your way.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Yes guys - sympathy to all of those in need of some

So sorry for your loss Evangeline. Thoughts and prayers follow you across the Atlantic.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

So, I found a cute dog, who was running loose as I was driving and ran across the street in front of me. I followed him and he was very friendly. He didn't have a collar. I didn't know what else to do, so I called animal control. He ended up being chipped but they brought him to the shelter anyway. I called to see if there was an update and sure enough the owners are picking him up! I am happy, as I wasn't sure if I should have handed him over to animal control but there wasn't much other options. Thank God for microchips, really, they are so great.

Wearing a Clarins scent, from a sample, not sure which one.
    Last edited by kalli; 12th February 2014 at 12:10 AM.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Well done, kalli - microchips may cause the occasional abscess but the benefits far outweigh that.
    We had a van full of stolen dogs recovered locally as the thieves didn't know the chip info., - they sell them if they're gun dogs, breed them if possible or use them for fighting.