Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default S.O.T.D. - Tuesday, 11 February, 2014.

Hi everyone - have a great day!

Ancient Resins - Aftelier.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Tuesday, 11 February, 2014.

Morning All,

Chanel's Cuir de Russie (Exclusifs EdT) today.
    I had an odd dream this morning involving a very elegant, female double-agent who was wearing l'air du temps. That's about all I can remember.
    Aaannnyyyway, wishing everyone a good day.

Perhaps just as well, gandhajala

No dreamy affairs for me this morning... an alarm clock set before dawn.
    Plenty of Sous le Vent all over my upper body - how I like the big time splashing, right Xscent?
    Have a good day all!

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    No dreamy affairs for me this morning... an alarm clock set before dawn.
    Plenty of Sous le Vent all over my upper body - how I like the big time splashing, right Xscent?
    Have a good day all!
    What a start! Seriously Larimar and G you're killing me here, splashing Sous le Vent and spritzing CdR. Men around my way need to pick up their game.

Larimar you are such a tease but I'm in admiration of you doing it right.

Jon you enabled well. VdN extrait going on my buy list.

Danieq such sad news, take care and big hugs to you both.

Teardrop, Frou Frou and Mr Roses hope you all are feeling better.

ErinK and Mike head on over anytime you like, the guest suites will be ready for you. All the good stuff is in the cellar, spritz and splash away and while you’re here I’ll stuff you full of food and wine too.

Saminlondon I don’t have Berg (will rectify, promise). Tristan and Isolde then?

Trilby Lark keep meaning to mention that you smelt wonderful! I’m often on a leather kick and CdR was love at first sniff for me.

Off to the ballet tonight a mixed programme including a work inspired by Romeo and Juliet set to the music of Radiohead. Very annoyed today when I found out Tamara Rojo (my girl crush) will be performing in Brisbane when I'm in London. This is so endlessly frustrating, I have been trying to see her for years.

In Bois des Îles today and twinning G in Cuir de Russie tonight. Have a lovely day everyone.

Last edited by Xscent; 11th February 2014 at 10:39 AM. Reason: something strange going on with my formatting
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Very annoyed today when I found out Tamara Rojo (my girl crush) will be performing in Brisbane when I'm in London. This is so endlessly frustrating, I have been trying to see her for years.
    There was something of an exodus from the Royal Ballet a couple of years back when Tamara et al left to join the English National Ballet. At the time, many (myself included) were pretty bummed, but it actually worked out well for Covent Garden, creating some much needed space for others. She is a wonderful dancer, though.

Basenotes Plus

Shalimar

Best to all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Hello all,

Morning all! We have had our first snowfall of 2014 - not really settling,
    but very cold.I am wearing Heliotrope Blanc by Piver and watching some of
    the Winter Olympics.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    ErinK and Mike head on over anytime you like, the guest suites will be ready for you. All the good stuff is in the cellar, spritz and splash away and while you’re here I’ll stuff you full of food and wine too.
    Can we make it a trio ?. This sounds like my kind of establishment

Scent twins today too ! - great minds

Your double agent, G - codename Mimipenny ?
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 11th February 2014 at 10:56 AM.

queen of the universe

Thanks to our dear bogsc, I am sampling a "newish" iteration of Bandit. It strikes me as having swapped out civet for cumin and it works. The tobacco note is like an unlit cigar, leafy and aromatic more than smoky. FB worthy and less than 40 years old! (How often do I say that?) Another question: why would I waste this on a day spent with middle-schoolers? A: It's my force field!

Pleasant day to all.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Tuesday, 11 February, 2014.

samples
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Blog Entries

Wow kewart, you have snow?

Wet & windy again here this morning, although the sun is out right now.

Wearing Peau d'Espagne for a day of pottering, after a luxuriously long lie-in.

Have a good day, everyone!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling LesNez Manoumalia this morning
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Hi, everyone -

Day two (nearly unheard of for me) in the lovely Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver. Scratching an olfactory itch for me at the moment. Now, if I can just manage a steamy perfumed dream a la gandhajala and wiggle my way into the food/wine/scent fest over at xscent's, I'll be an exceptionally happy camper.

L’eau d’Hiver notes: Bergamot, honey, heliotrope, jasmine, angelica, iris.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Mona Di Orio Oud

(4065)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Hello everyone -

I'm back in the luscious magnolias of L'Instant again, edp, and it's soooo good. I tell ya teardrop, I didn't know it was possible but I think it's even more beautiful now than when I was last wearing it a lot ...probably because it reminds me of *you* now.

Y'all have a wonderful day!

Terry - if any of your *other* bottles are seeking a new home, I'm sure I could make room for a few of them ...poor, neglected dears.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 11th February 2014 at 01:16 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir by Dior

Hello all.

Essence Musc Eau de Parfum Intense
    by Narciso Rodriguez
    DONNA

Blog Entries

For the 3rd consecutive day ....

SotD - Royal Oud by Creed (from a decant)

Good afternoon.

Farnesiana EdP for me today.

Have a nice day
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Good morning, good smelling people. Mure Et Musc Extreme. Just as I run out, Neiman Marcus (who send the most outrageous spam of any store -today an opportunity to get a $1500 gift card with purchase of $10,000...Who spends ten thousand dollars at the mall?) mailed the advert for their Beauty Tote event, making me realize that the big bottle of MEME lasts me exactly one year, yikes. I have never seen it discounted so a beauty tote is good enough incentive I guess.

Good morning!

jujy, LOL @ your "force field!" I know you need a good one for rascally middle schoolers.

Jon, gorgeous pic. Oh, to be there now. We have another winter storm warning for today/tonight/tomorrow.

OK, Xscent, twist my arm a little bit why don't you? Perfume, check. Wine, check. Delicious foodstuffs, triple check. I think I drooled a bit reading your invitation. Last night for dinner I had a couple-ish glasses of wine, French bread, and sharp white cheddar. Someone at work this morning asked me, "Who eats dinner like that??" I was thinking, "I think all my BN friends would agree that was an excellent dinner. So there." Also, your Radiohead R+J ballet sounds super cool - do give us a lil report tomorrow.

Joining several of y'all in Chanel today: velvety clouds of No.5 edt for me. Thinking of my mother. I found out last night she will be having a surgery on Friday to remove a papilloma. So thankful I already had a trip home scheduled this weekend.
    Last edited by ErinK; 11th February 2014 at 01:42 PM.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Hello all,

I am facing the world in Tuscan Leather this fine day. I pulled the trigger on it last night and got a ton of samples from the wonderful Nordstrom SA: Neroli Portofino, Noir, Noir de Noir, Tobacco Vanille and White Suede. Some multiples and a couple deluxe samples. No SA bashing here! Naturally I sprayed some TL on in the car on the way home. I didn't realize it's a gourmand as in Beef Jerky (in a good way). I must have been hungry for dinner which coincidently was homemade oxtail soup.

Xscent: I think Cuir de Russie just wet my whistle for the stronger stuff but I am sure there's a proper time and place for each of my lovely leathers. On another note, I don't know what you've got going with Tristan and Isolde but it's my all time favorite opera.

Quarry: I was thrilled to see your post yesterday that we are soul sisters in our mutual love of Marni and Tuscan Leather. Next week is my one year anniversary of joining Basenotes and I've smelled a lot and learned a lot in that time. But I think I am just beginning to zero in on my authentic and true fragrance personality.

Have a great day!
    Last edited by Trilby Lark; 11th February 2014 at 01:45 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm in Evelyn today and off soon to watch a movie with Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Can we make it a trio ?. This sounds like my kind of establishment

Scent twins today too ! - great minds
    Jon great minds indeed! And of course you are invited bring Jenny too. I have space for everyone and a few Islay beauties on hand for afterwards.

ComDiva making room for you as well, not to worry I’m a notorious over caterer.

Trilby Lark we have some opera fans on this thread. I was listening to Verdi yesterday and joked to Saminlondon (who is partial to German operas) to cover his ears. I played Tristan and Isolde today. Have you tried Puredistance M? Gorgeous spicy leather.

ErinK planning on a similar dinner tomorrow night, love a good cheese platter, my weakness is blue cheese and the riper the better. The main event was ‘Radio and Juliet’ was a modern take on the story told via flashback to the music of Radiohead (very cool!). The production was very stripped down which showcased the sharp and detailed choreography (Edward Clug) brilliantly. There were three more pieces (The Sofa/ Mono Lisa/ Epic Fail) and each was really well done. Mono Lisa has some sensational acrobatics, just wow!

Enjoy your day teardrop, sounds really lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    There was something of an exodus from the Royal Ballet a couple of years back when Tamara et al left to join the English National Ballet. At the time, many (myself included) were pretty bummed, but it actually worked out well for Covent Garden, creating some much needed space for others. She is a wonderful dancer, though.
    G, good to know there has been positives, I heard about the exodus and Sergei leaving in 2012. Should have gone to see them dance when I had the chance, that would have been magic.

Last edited by Xscent; 12th February 2014 at 07:36 AM.

Thanks everyone for your kindnesses yesterday. They are appreciated. Family is recovering, hurting but recovering. We'll be bringing dinner and friendship this evening. Hoping to be a balm.

I'm sampling Musc Koublai Khan today.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Xscent - Tristan would do very nicely. Thank you

Lemming-like, I went for Vol de Nuit 2103 extrait today. Sooo good! I wonder whether I should host a split? Would there be enough takers, I wonder?
    Last edited by saminlondon; 11th February 2014 at 03:14 PM.

Mike, you sweetheart, thank you for posting the link to the video (I'm ridiculously inept at linking to stuff here, for whatever reason) -- and for watching it. It's truly one of the best short films I've ever seen (and I say that with only a bit of alumnae bias ). It's amazing how much emotional depth and heart the filmmaker packed into 8 minutes. I love it -- and I'm glad I'm not the only one who cries.

(((danie))), (((Frou Frou))), and anyone else in the mood for hugs.

Today I'm wearing the lovely VC&A Bois d'Iris, but it's largely vanished after only 2.5 hours (and that's with 5 sprays!!). I'm glad I got the decant before shelling out for the bottle. I really enjoy BdI, but at that price, I may just get a back-up bottle of Iris de Nuit, and a bottle of one of ErinK's Infusion d'Iris. Which concentration do you like best, ErinK? I vacillate, but I'm most drawn to the Absolue and the EDP.

R&J ballet with Radiohead? Sounds like an interesting combo.
    Lol, Robin, 10k for a chance to win 1500 bucks? Sounds like a great opportunity, lol.

Lady Million, one of hubs faves.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

Frederic Malle-
    Iris Poudre

Xscent, I feel for you! There was this play I wanted to see and it was always playing where I happened not to be!
    I miss London, I lived there for three years while at the Royal College of Art. I so want to go back for a few weeks, and now I moved to Dallas! Maybe I can persuade the Q to go this summer.

Evangeline, you are so noble, so self-effacing... to be willing to take care and provide a good home for neglected bottles....

Robin-inFl, hilarious! Yeah why not just pop over the the Neiman Marcus and spend $10.000.... Nutters! It's insulting actually. In so many dfferent ways.

For me: I am fine again today, will be careful with food though. I tried to spritz my vintage Amazone again ths morning, a little spritz came out but nothing more and some of the juice just dribbled underneath the sprayer. Any ideas what I can do about it?
    So my SotD is still vintage Amazone by Hermès.

This is me and my horse, riding sidesaddle
    Last edited by FrouFrou; 11th February 2014 at 03:42 PM.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Kumquat, love your picture! Perfect!
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Mmm, loving all these irises today!

ExtremeK, that's too bad about Bois d'Iris; it lasts a lot longer on me than 2.5 hours. I was lucky enough to get a partial bottle from a seller here on BN for a steal. My favorite Infusion d'Iris is the EDP. I actually didn't care too much for the Absolue, which surprised me.

kumquat, you smell great! What a beautiful painting.

Edit to comment on Frou's GORGEOUS photo - you must have posted while I have been composing this reply. That sweet beautiful smile on your face (I love to see someone smiling with their eyes), the costume, your hair, the pearl earrings, that wonderful horse. I love it!! Thank you for sharing!
    Last edited by ErinK; 11th February 2014 at 03:57 PM.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Knize Ten. A true love.

Good morning! I'm braving 0 degree weather in Chergui and tall boots.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I had an odd dream this morning involving a very elegant, female double-agent who was wearing l'air du temps. That's about all I can remember.
    Dreaming of moi perchance?

Happy coincidence, I chose Bois des Iles this morning, too! DH is adding up the numbers to do our taxes, so he's sitting nearby and BdI has his seal of approval.

Nice notions:
    Xscent: “Over caterer.”
    Jujy: “Force field.”
    Trilby Lark: Happy almost anniversary. Enjoy the journey.
    Frou Frou: You look like a Nordic warrior princess.

Haven't been watching the Olympics, but have heard oodles of sad stories about the accommodations, including no pillows?! How's an athlete supposed to get a good night’s sleep. I love my small cadre of feather pillows.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Institution

FrouFrou: Try this: http://www.ehow.com/how_5832630_remo...#ixzz1kPrXOR1p
    saminlondon - you will LOVE VdN extrait. It's fantastic!
    ComDiva - I am almost all out of my L'Eau d'Hiver mini bottle. I will miss it when it's gone. Although I get a similar vibe from my Apres l'Ondee
    Trilby Lark - when Tom Ford released his Private Blends, eons ago, I bought a 12-pack sampler from The Perfumed Court. I was one of the 1st BN'rs to smell all of them then (they were only sold in his Madison Ave boutique for the 1st few months). Tuscan Leather was one of the first that I fell in love with. Love that car-interior-meets-raspberry note. Enjoy!
    Xscent - I am jealous at all of the cool social events you attend. Very eclectic. I attended something similar years ago, when the Merce Cunningham Dance Company did a piece with Sigur Ros playing live.
    ExtremeK - you're welcome. I hope more people see that video. It's adorable & very uplifting. And if I had to choose one version of Infusion d'Iris it would be the Absolue.

Wearing (from a decant from 30 Roses):

Aqua Allegoria Flora Nerolia by Guerlain

That hit of jasmine, in the top, is almost narcotic. It brought a smile to my face when I sprayed it on. To quote helg from Perfume Shrine (who is a big fan of AAFN):
    Guerlain captured the ethereal vapors of steam off these delicate, ravishing blossoms and married them to a pre-emptying summer jasmine (middle-ground indolic) and the faint whiff of cool frankincense burning inside a Greek Orthodox church preparing for the country's most devout celebration: Easter. The citrusy aspects of frankincense compliment the fruitier aspects of neroli. Musk in the form of synthetic Cashmeran is anchoring the effect on skin. Guerlain's Flora Nerolia (a part of the original line up in the Aqua Allegoria line in 2000 composed by perfumer Mathilde Laurent) is like a snapshot of late Lent in Greece and for that reason is absolutely precious to me.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mauboussin Histoire d' Eau

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    saminlondon - you will LOVE VdN extrait. It's fantastic!
    I do love it! I'm just wondering how big a bee bottle I can get away with (and whether anyone would share it with me ).

Basenotes Plus

Now that's what I call a Bond Girl

SotE - Versace Black Jeans.

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 11th February 2014 at 06:48 PM.

Blog Entries

Aw, thanks Evangeline! l always think of you when l wear it, too.

Xscent; thanks, l had a lovely day. And l also love the "over-caterer" phrase; please count me in for that get-together!

Erin; that sounds like a great dinner to me.

FrouFrou; that photo is amazing! And l swear your horse is smiling for the camera.

Twinning with several of you lovely people in Bois des lsles this evening; the last of my sample.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Dreaming of moi perchance?...
    Mais, bien sûr, Mme. Q !

Jicky (extrait) tonight.
    Best to all.

Champagne and Miss Piggy... *swoon*
    More splashing of Sous le Vent tonight.
    Where is dear Wolfie? I hope she is well.
    Sam, if I hadn't bunkered some Vol de Nuit Extrait already I'd have been game for your split.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    I do love it! I'm just wondering how big a bee bottle I can get away with (and whether anyone would share it with me ).
    Ah, going for the big guns, eh? Wow, good luck.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hey y'all -

Well, I do hate to ever be the bearer of bad news or make y'all feel obligated to sympathize (really, I'm okay) but my aunt, my mârraine, died suddenly last night and my mother is inconsolable, which is difficult to witness as I've only seen her cry about five times in my life. But even in her grief, she's got to deal with contacting relatives, arranging the funeral, and settling all the things that must be settled now, and she needs help, so we'll be flying to France this afternoon. I'm just waiting for Tony to take us to the airport (me and Mom - he and Dad will be joining us later this week.) She lived in Angers, so that's where we're going and I imagine we'll be staying in her house ....her big, sad, empty house. She had dogs ...I wonder what's being done with them. Anyway, I have no idea how long it's going to take or even when or where the funeral might be, so I guess I could be gone for a while. Y'all take care, be well and be happy. Bye. xo

Oh, and I'm out of magnolias for now and back in roses, Shiseido's White Rose, beautiful and radiant enough to have a comforting presence and sheer and soft enough for a long, probably crowded, international flight.

Oh, FrouFrou - is that Al Tarq? He's magnificent, and you look absolutely splendid up there! I've also been meaning to tell you that I love "Pom in the sink". I don't paint much anymore but when I did, it was usually to paint one of my cats.

I've also been wondering where Wolfie is - hugs to you ((Wolfie)), wherever you are.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 11th February 2014 at 07:30 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Evangeline, we will be thinking of you and your family. We'll miss you, of course. All best, heartfelt wishes.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Plus

Thoughts and best wishes with you and yours, Mrs E - my sincerest condolences.

Blog Entries

(((((((((Evangeline))))))))) my love & thoughts go out to you & your family. Take care & remember we'll all be thinking of you.

Jil Sander Feeling Man

Evangeline my deepest sympathy to you and yours. Safe travels.

Blog Entries

Yes, Evangeline, my thoughts are with you and your mother. So sorry to hear the sad news.

Evangeline, very sorry to read about your loss. Al my sympathy for you and your mother.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry to read that, Evangeline. She cannot have been very old, your aunt. Your poor mother!

((Mike)), you smell marvelous!

(((Evangeline))), sending hugs and wonderful memories to you and your family. I know it is hard to see your mother grieve. She's so lucky to have you there for her.

In No.19 EDP this evening.

Hugs to Evangeline and more for Danieq. Prayers going out your way.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Yes guys - sympathy to all of those in need of some

So sorry for your loss Evangeline. Thoughts and prayers follow you across the Atlantic.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

So, I found a cute dog, who was running loose as I was driving and ran across the street in front of me. I followed him and he was very friendly. He didn't have a collar. I didn't know what else to do, so I called animal control. He ended up being chipped but they brought him to the shelter anyway. I called to see if there was an update and sure enough the owners are picking him up! I am happy, as I wasn't sure if I should have handed him over to animal control but there wasn't much other options. Thank God for microchips, really, they are so great.

Wearing a Clarins scent, from a sample, not sure which one.
    Last edited by kalli; 12th February 2014 at 12:10 AM.

Well done, kalli - microchips may cause the occasional abscess but the benefits far outweigh that.
    We had a van full of stolen dogs recovered locally as the thieves didn't know the chip info., - they sell them if they're gun dogs, breed them if possible or use them for fighting.