Code of Conduct

Default YSL La Nuit De L'Homme strengths?

I did a blind buy of YSL La Nuit De L'Homme in the Le Parfum strength and whilst I've been ECSTATIC with the fragrance it sits REALLY close to my skin. Are all the formulations like this?

I'd also get the EDT strength if it's got better projection and longevity...

But the thing is... My understanding was the strengths of fragrances went like this:

Extrait
    EDP/Le Parfum
    EDT
    EDC

I would have thought the Le Parfum would be super strong in both projection and sillage... Am i completely wrong? Can someone clear this up for me?

Default Re: YSL La Nuit De L'Homme strengths?

From my limited experience I have found that EDP generally sits closer to the skin but has better lasting power.

EDT strength fragrances seem to project more but don't have the same longevity.

An example of this would be Terre dHermes. I have la Nuit in EDT and don't find it to have great projection and / or sillage but others will say the opposite.

Was my SOTD yesterday (EDT version)...definitely easy on the trigger with that one. Here is a breakdown:

Parfum: also called extrait, is the highest concentration of perfume. A perfume may contain 22-30 percent oils*and high grade alcohol, and a slight amount of water. Parfum is the most expensive type of perfume. Any mixture lower in oils is known as an eau.

Eau de Parfum: is composed of 15-18 percent of essential oils with a slightly weaker alcohol and water.

Eau de Toilette: is a much thinner dilution of the same materials, containing approximately only 4-8 percent of essential oils, in an even weaker alcohol and water mixture.

Eau de Cologne: for men or women, or aftershave, is further diluted, about 3-5*percent of essential oils, in an*even still weaker*alcohol and water mix.

Eau Fraiche: a cologne or splash with a purer alcohol.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

A popular misunderstanding......
    A perfume/ EDP wears closer to the skin than an EDT/EDC in general.
    Evaporation of alcohol > evaporation of perfume oil.

Thanks for all the answers but i'm still really confused...

I have EDP's that have tremendous projection and sillage... Perfect example is the Tom Ford private blend line. They're all EDP's and they are MONSTERS on my skin. I have YSL M7 is EDT and it doesn't project as well... Nowhere near. The my La Nuit in Le Parfum sits the closest to the skin out of any of them...

So i'm confused as to the distinction.

On my skin, The extraits generally project the best followed by the EDP and then the EDT.

(4074)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Could just be your skin. Some fragrances project and last longer on some, where others it may not.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGee View Post
    Thanks for all the answers but i'm still really confused...

I have EDP's that have tremendous projection and sillage... Perfect example is the Tom Ford private blend line. They're all EDP's and they are MONSTERS on my skin. I have YSL M7 is EDT and it doesn't project as well... Nowhere near. The my La Nuit in Le Parfum sits the closest to the skin out of any of them...

So i'm confused as to the distinction.
    Different lines/companies and different fragrances react differently, not only on specific people but also based on ingredients/pyramids.

Dependence on the diffusion of the aroma chemical or natural ingredient, the amount of alcohol, the amount applied, the environment, your skin, etc., something from company A) whilst being an EdT, (and in some cases, maybe an EdC) will perform better, (ie: more longevity, projection/sillage) than an EdP or even an extrait from company B.

So La Nuit EdP from YSL may have less longevity and/or projection that something like Habit Rouge EdC from Guerlain, (just a quick example off the top of my head).

You can use things like unscented lotion as a base, application on clothes and hair and an extra dose of the fragrance as a help. Also be mindful about where you are applying the fragrance. You may have some nose fatigue if there is a lot applied close to your nose.

I initially thought aht La Nuit EdP was a weakling too but people commented several hours after application, (thankfully positively) and I was able to perceive it decently over 12 hours after application and when I went to wash my shirt, almost a week later, the fragrance was sill quite prevalent which was certainly a surprise to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    On my skin, The extraits generally project the best followed by the EDP and then the EDT.

(4074)
    This is how it should be

Banned
    Blog Entries

Some not many EDC versions project more than extraits..
    Dunhill 34 is a great example..

hey man u know i was going to buy it actually but i told the sales man that i want to try it first and i did tried both EDP and EDT and let me tell you something hyped hyped and hyped both sits really close to the skin and after maybe 2 hours they disappear so i am glad that i tried it and did not blind buy it maybe it went under reformulation and just died

so for me its a pass (both of them)

The EDT version of this fragrance is already quite strong in my opinion, the EDP only adds additional projection and strength to basically (almost) the same notes.

I've never had a problem with the EDP!!! From my experience most EDP's have better staying power!!! There are those EDP's that seem to be weak... Or weaker... On my skin the EDP is best!!!