Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2 new fragrances from guerlain -- warning

They have been specifically created for children and will retail at £215 a bottle in Harrods

The name will be 'Petit Guerlain'

That's all I know at the moment. I think there maybe some sweetness involved.

Any more info or comments? Will you be treating your young?

Default Re: 2 new fragrances from guerlain -- warning

It's just one fragrance, different bottle colors for boy or girl.

petitgpiece.jpg
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 11th February 2014 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    They have been specifically created for children and will retail at £215 a bottle in Harrods

The name will be 'Petit Guerlain'

That's all I know at the moment. I think there maybe some sweetness involved.

Will you be treating your young?
    Something to consider perhaps for my grandchildren. Thanks for the info.

(4083)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post

petitgpiece.jpg
    Oh -- ok, thanks -- I read it wrong

There will be buyers -- Harrods know their clientele

Banned
    Blog Entries

At that price..
    Just get em some Superman or NBA cologne..
    Burberry Tender Touch maybe..

Crazy that someone would buy their small child a $350 fragrance, when the kid will probably end up spritzing it on the cat.

Crazy that someone would buy their small child a $350 fragrance, when the kid will probably end up spritzing it on the cat.
    Ha -- or just directly into their mouths

There maybe some safety gimmick on the bottles?

The bottles are pretty. Without knowing anything about it, that design doesn't seem intended to appeal to children, but rather to be aimed at the high-end baby gift market. Those gifts you give to new parents -- in this case, to new parents who have everything. It's much prettier, if less practical, than a "Diaper Genie."

I feel the whole thing is utterly tasteless, and am surprised that a company as sophisticated as Guerlain would ever think of doing such a thing. Above all else, and never mind the smell (which is the same?) never forget it MUST be blue for a boy and pink for a girl. Never too soon to enforce those artificial stereotypes. And if you don't love your child enough to pay such an inflated price; you deserve to die in agony.

Blog Entries

That's $353! Holy cardboard that's a lot of money for something that's probably very light and barely noticeable. For the kid who has everything and the doting parents who have too much money.

If I lived in Downton Abbey then a half a dozen of those new Guerlains would go down well with his Lordship & family.

At least the target market will be too young to complain about projection, longevity, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    At least the target market will be too young to complain about projection, longevity, etc.
    You're right about that!....lol

But they will be able to complain about reformulation while still at a tender age! "I remember when I was 3 this had much brighter top notes".
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Good point, zatarain

Blog Entries

So true! Cute, too. Also I'll bet North West will have some.

The best part of this fragrance is the creation of this thread. I lol'd. Cats and the captive target market...my kids at 3 would've loved one with a top note of mac and cheese, heart of gummy bears, and a soothing base of root beer. All their favorite weekend foods as a comforting week day spritz ritual. Only worthwhile if it comes in a box with a cheap toy which this one clearly does not. Probably a Tiffany rattle or some such nonsense.

Somehow, I suspect this will be a repurposed Eau de Lingerie (or, as zatarain points out, reformulated!)

I don't know the sales of EdL, but I suspect the intended audience of wealthy, Pratesi linen owners didn't bite (either because they were more anglophones than francophone, or because it's the maid who washes and folds linens, or both).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Above all else, and never mind the smell (which is the same?) never forget it MUST be blue for a boy and pink for a girl. Never too soon to enforce those artificial stereotypes.
    Right! This hurts the most.

Is this just a repackaging of the old Petit Guerlain (circa 1994) into bee bottles? I think I have a decant of this somewhere. You can probably still find it here and there for much less (and no pink and blue).

It's a relaunch of Petit Guerlain, which was available in eau de toilette and alcohol free eau de senteur. I guess this is just the EdT, sold at a much higher price.

That bottle is just the standard oval bee atomizer that all the colognes, Après L'Ondee, Chant d'Aromes, Mouchoir de Monsieur, etc come in.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personally, I don't think children should wear scent. Grown-up things should remain a rite of passage to be anticipated. I also object to the pink/blue gender stereotyping. Not a fan at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Personally, I don't think children should wear scent. Grown-up things should remain a rite of passage to be anticipated. I also object to the pink/blue gender stereotyping. Not a fan at all.
    Could not have said it better.

guerlain petit.jpg

I'm horrified. It's distressing, to say the least. I thought they had abolished this sort of thing years back. I may faint.

Clunk.

See, there, I did. I'm okay now, I think. Still feeling a bit shaky though. Who do I sue?

The way I understand it a lot of people have consistently asked Guerlain for this kind of stuff. I guess they got tired of hearing about it and decided to make it available to those who want it. A little perfume on a kid is harmless. Most of the storage and application will likely be done by discerning adults who frequent Guerlain boutiques, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    I feel the whole thing is utterly tasteless, and am surprised that a company as sophisticated as Guerlain would ever think of doing such a thing. Above all else, and never mind the smell (which is the same?) never forget it MUST be blue for a boy and pink for a girl. Never too soon to enforce those artificial stereotypes. And if you don't love your child enough to pay such an inflated price; you deserve to die in agony.
    Absolutely. Ugh!

Yes -- tacky was the first adjective that crossed my mind and not a little exploitative at £215

However, If the price had been around £30-40 it might have been quite cute

petitgpiece.jpg
    Pink and blue gender marketing? Sod off, Guerlain.

Basenotes Institution

I liked Petit Guerlain when I first smelled it years ago.

It was done by Olivia Giacobetti, if I remember correctly.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Prefer my children to smell powdery and a tad dirty.

Pink/blue for girls/boys is offensive (to toddlers?) now or why the outrage?
    Last edited by Rüssel; 12th February 2014 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Prefer my children to smell powdery and a tad dirty.

Pink/blue for girls/boys is offensive (to toddlers?) now or why the outrage?
    If you have to ask, I give up.

Dior does the same with their baby collection. Pink & blue.

for swap/sale:

Man, that's about the same price as a new bottle of Derby..... Wow...

I don't agree with children having fragrance but if you are going to do it what's wrong with the pink/blue thing. No boy wants a pink fragrance bottle and vice versa.

So why do they need to be either blue or pink?
    They could all be red, or green or something

Here in America, blue is for a boy and pink is for a girl. What are the standard colors for children in England, lpp?

The trend for some years has been to avoid compliance with stereotyping via standard colours, mossyoakpen - free choice is quite commonly accepted here these days.
    Post 14 confirms this.
    Last edited by lpp; 12th February 2014 at 07:55 PM.

In the nineteenth century pink was for boys and blue was for girls, Pink was considered way too strong a color for girls, far more suitable for boys, and the light blue was a nice soft delicate color for girls.
    These things are all arbitrary.
    Except perhaps the mistaken idea that girls are more ''delicate'' than boys.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

It seems like Guerlain could've been more creative than to use the pink/blue color scheme. If, as lpp says, in England the pink/blue gender typing is not popular, then I suppose the market is U.S. Just a guess. I don't know about customs in other countries. I avoid the pink and blue trap when I buy baby accessories for my friends. As far as children wearing perfume? Hmmm, I don't know. Most children are perfumed in some way starting when they are infants with scented powders, soaps, shampoos, and salves. I like the idea of designating perfume as a grown-up grooming product.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyoakpenn View Post
    I don't agree with children having fragrance but if you are going to do it what's wrong with the pink/blue thing. No boy wants a pink fragrance bottle and vice versa.
    So why do they need to be either blue or pink?
    They could all be red, or green or something
    Here in America, blue is for a boy and pink is for a girl. What are the standard colors for children in England, lpp?
    Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    In the nineteenth century pink was for boys and blue was for girls, Pink was considered way too strong a color for girls, far more suitable for boys, and the light blue was a nice soft delicate color for girls.
    These things are all arbitrary.
    Except perhaps the mistaken idea that girls are more ''delicate'' than boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    It seems like Guerlain could've been more creative than to use the pink/blue color scheme. If, as lpp says, in England the pink/blue gender typing is not popular, then I suppose the market is U.S. Just a guess. I don't know about customs in other countries. I avoid the pink and blue trap when I buy baby accessories for my friends. As far as children wearing perfume? Hmmm, I don't know. Most children are perfumed in some way starting when they are infants with scented powders, soaps, shampoos, and salves. I like the idea of designating perfume as a grown-up grooming product.

Blue is for boys, you get that?!!??!?

* shoves stereotype down child's throat *

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Is it really popular in the US, too? The whole thing is a misstep. Lovely fragrance and bottles, colours not so much. Then, you add the price....

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Yes -- tacky was the first adjective that crossed my mind and not a little exploitative at £215

However, If the price had been around £30-40 it might have been quite cute
    I love the scent, I would have picked up a pink one for myself at that price, possibly. I wouldn't buy it for a child though but not at all at that cost no matter. thankfully I have an almost full old bottle already!

I'm guessing that the target audience is well-to-do, conservative, bourgeois Parisians - who are not exactly known for breaking out of the mould.

(I've just gone in for a bit of stereotyping myself, of course - but that's entirely different ...)

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Blue is for boys, you get that?!!??!?

* shoves stereotype down child's throat *

Haha - my daughter always looked adorable in lime green....

And god help any boy who does; not natural is it?

Captain, is pink and blue popular in Canada?

Good one, hedonist!

On that note, not long ago I bought a little jacket for my dog. It was a hurried purchase one evening because I wanted to get it before our current cold snap set in the next day. The only garment that fit her was an item that came in either navy blue with a baby blue "bone" appliqué, or dark magenta with a light pink appliqué. I was at a loss because I didn't like the pink/blue scheme, but ultimately I bought the blue one. Of course, my dog had no say in the matter, but she's always preferred function over form anyway.

Some things in this world are what they are for many great reasons and its best left that way.....

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    I'm guessing that the target audience is well-to-do, conservative, bourgeois Parisians - who are not exactly known for breaking out of the mould.

(I've just gone in for a bit of stereotyping myself, of course - but that's entirely different ...)
    I think you nailed it with use of the word, "conservative".

Some things in this world are what they are for many great reasons and its best left that way.....

And everyone is entitled to their opinion, so we'll return to the thread topic of the launch of two new fragrances now please.

Well, on to actual discussion about perfume. Has anybody smelled this fragrance? It seems as though a few posters have smelled Petit Guerlain - how does that one smell?

Although there seems to be more releases along this line lately, It's hardly a new concept: http://tinyurl.com/babiesstink

I have no interest in trying Petit Guerlain. If there was a fragrance that captured the scent of a baby's head, I'd be very interested though. Maybe Brosius will come up with something.

Blog Entries

Eeek, don't give them any ideas! Don't want any nuts trying to make an enfleurage like in that awful book.

Hopefully nobody actually sees these as gifts for toddlers - they're obviously for adults. Just imagine the little kid who gets this instead of, say, a Tonka dump truck. I'd have been crushed. My truck was green, by the way

Blog Entries

For that amount of money you could get a nice dog or just donate to the animal shelter.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post

Great point!

Well, on to actual discussion about perfume. Has anybody smelled this fragrance? It seems as though a few posters have smelled Petit Guerlain - how does that one smell?
    I have it in the old bottle, I think it’s a few years old now. I still haven’t reviewed it because I’m still getting to know all the notes and stuff and what it is I’m actually smelling. But, I can say it sort of smells like Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo…now, why a French company would know that smell or want to make a perfume with that scent, I’m not too sure. Is/was that product a world wide phenomenon? It always amazed me how it was in no way “tear free”. heh. Back to the scent, it’s sharp and soapy - in no way weak or soft like you would imagine it - being for children after all. I DO think it’s meant for children and being marketed to parents as such but that it’s in no way appropriate because of its strength. I love all things Guerlain so I bought it from a friend who was going to return it. I love it because it’s unique but I wear it very rarely. I did so before my shower today (after catching up on this thread) and it was decidedly too sharp for my mood. (Adding...I did review it I see...not sure what I smelling though heh. I'll edit it when I have it figured out...)

Captain, is pink and blue popular in Canada?
    Well, like a lot of things, we’re probably somewhere in between the US and the UK. XD When my son was a baby 13 years ago I did dress him in yellow and blue and I doubt many still would put a boy in pink. It is what it is I suppose. :\
    Last edited by Captain; 14th February 2014 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Great point!

I have it in the old bottle, I think it’s a few years old now. I still haven’t reviewed it because I’m still getting to know all the notes and stuff and what it is I’m actually smelling. But, I can say it sort of smells like Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo…now, why a French company would know that smell or want to make a perfume with that scent, I’m not too sure. Is/was that product a world wide phenomenon? It always amazed me how it was in no way “tear free”. heh. Back to the scent, it’s sharp and soapy - in no way weak or soft like you would imagine it - being for children after all. I DO think it’s meant for children and being marketed to parents as such but that it’s in no way appropriate because of its strength. I love all things Guerlain so I bought it from a friend who was going to return it. I love it because it’s unique but I wear it very rarely. I did so before my shower today (after catching up on this thread) and it was decidedly too sharp for my mood. (Adding...I did review it I see...not sure what I smelling though heh. I'll edit it when I have it figured out...)

. :\
    Johnson and Johnson baby powder fragrance is (was) one of the most influential fragrances in the world. Everyone knows that J&J is the smell of clean babies. Of course a savvy French company would be aware of that.

Basenotes Plus

That is assuming the shampoo has the same scent as the powder, I'm not sure it does. At the very least, it's more soapy.

Judging by all the attention these new Guerlains are getting here I think they are going to sell quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    That is assuming the shampoo has the same scent as the powder, I'm not sure it does. At the very least, it's more soapy.
    Sorry, you were talking about the shampoo fragrance; I got confused!!