Code of Conduct

Default I just wanted to be cool. review of A*Men / Angel Men

I learned my lesson.

This stuff just ruined my day. I've been reading some of the reviews on this and thought I'd swoop by the mall at lunch and spray some on to see for myself. One tiny little squirt on my wrist; really, that's it. I'm back here at work and the whole office is pissed off at me. My presence is filling the building. I've tried to wash it off twice but it's still hitting me like a punch in the face. Everyone knows it's me. This is like a cruel practical joke. Forget the "notes" or whatever. People are starring and I have a meeting in an hour. This would be funny if I could get it off. But I can't. I'm a little bit embarrased.

Make sure you spray yourself at least 6 times before you go to work. You'll get noticed. Chicks will dig you. Your boss will love it.

(just kidding. don't ever do that.. really.)

Maybe onion will get it off.

Default Re: I just wanted to be cool. review of A*Men / Angel Men

Somebody said "the dry down is magic". Dude. Really? I won't make it to the dry down.

I did that on a bus a few times. I think the first time was with Lonestar Memories. I usually walk around and browse other shops for a while in order to let a scent settle... but it was starting to rain. As soon as I sat down on the bus... whoooo... Lonestar Memories decided to become Lone Passenger On A Bus Memories, except that I wasn't alone. The bus was packed, and my scent was filling every available bit of air. Oof!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Thank you for the laugh. I needed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PROJECTIIINNG. Seriously. I'm killing it right now. I'm about to go into this meeting reeking like a mother.

If Chuck Norris and Willy Wonka had a bastard love-child, this is what he would smell like.

Exaggerate much? One tiny little squirt on your wrist? Cmon man.

It is powerful stuff granted, but three sprays works just fine for me and lasts the whole day.

(4089)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It is very much a love/hate scent..
    We learn something new everyday..
    Did you get 1 compliment?

I did, actually. But I think it was mercy.

Haha, I pretty much had the same experience.

My bottle was delivered to work. I put a single spray on my arm and I was instantly knocked out. I went back to my desk and I was getting choked out. I had to quickly run to the restroom to wash it off before people think I was a weirdo.

Subsequent wearing I haven't experienced the same intensity, maybe I got use to it. But it wasn't for me, its too in your face scent and have sold it on.

I smelt someone wearing Pure Malt today at the supermarket and it was strong, like he just recently applied. But more than likely its been on him for the past 8 hours.
    Last edited by jhericurls; 11th February 2014 at 10:02 PM.

I understand what you have been through. Angel Men is one of the worst fragrances I have ever had the misfortune to smell.

Nice fragrance. Just not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jhericurls View Post
    Subsequent wearing I haven't experienced the same intensity, maybe I got use to it.
    I think there's a lot of truth to that. When I first sampled Interlude Man, I was shocked by the smoke. Now, I barely even notice the smoke at all. The difference between then and now is that, now, I know the fragrance. Remember how bitter your first cup of coffee was? Or your first beer? The first sniff of a new fragrance can be that way too, where one aspect seems to outweigh all others, until you get used to it - or get to know it and, thus, learn it.

Sometimes the opposite can happen too. When I first sniffed Gucci Pour Homme II, I was absolutely blown away by the tea. It smelled like a manly chai. Now that I've gotten to know the fragrance so well, it doesn't wow me as it once did. Oh, it's still great, but I've lost the wow factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I understand what you have been through. Angel Men is one of the worst fragrances I have ever had the misfortune to smell.
    I've never actually worn A*Men yet. I've smelled it, but never worn it. I tried Taste Of Fragrance a few months ago, and scrub a dub dub. Oof. It wasn't for me!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I think there's a lot of truth to that. When I first sampled Interlude Man, I was shocked by the smoke. Now, I barely even notice the smoke at all. The difference between then and now is that, now, I know the fragrance. Remember how bitter your first cup of coffee was? Or your first beer? The first sniff of a new fragrance can be that way too, where one aspect seems to outweigh all others, until you get used to it - or get to know it and, thus, learn it.

Sometimes the opposite can happen too. When I first sniffed Gucci Pour Homme II, I was absolutely blown away by the tea. It smelled like a manly chai. Now that I've gotten to know the fragrance so well, it doesn't wow me as it once did. Oh, it's still great, but I've lost the wow factor.

I've never actually worn A*Men yet. I've smelled it, but never worn it. I tried Taste Of Fragrance a few months ago, and scrub a dub dub. Oof. It wasn't for me!
    There we go. 4 hours of this stuff - now I love it! (just kidding. I hate it.)

But that's true though. It explains why my mother can't smell cigarette smoke. I also wondered what people did before deoderant. Either they never noticed the b.o. or they were constantly gagging. (the sort thing I think about)

I personally like A*men. Yes even for fans, the tar note can be very insisting sometimes.

The only reason i didn't buy a second bottle is because i found a much better perfected A*men in: Pure Malt (specifically the 2013 version).
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel C. View Post
    Somebody said "the dry down is magic". Dude. Really? I won't make it to the dry down.
    I love gourmands, including most of the Mugler flankers. But I can't stand trying to get through the first 4 hours of tar/patchouili stank bomb to get to the dry down. To each his own but IMO its pointless since the flankers get straight to the good part.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

So what happened in the meeting?

About a week before Christmas I had to stop into a store for what I thought was a "quick" errand. About 45 minutes before I went in I applied 3 sprays of A*Men (wasn't planning on being indoors much). Man, I was stuck in the longest line waiting to purchase a gift card and man, that store f#$kin wreaked. I honestly felt bad for the other customers.

A*Men is very strong stuff for sure! Sorry to hear about your experience - over-spraying can certainly create an uncomfortable situation, and work is one of the worst places to have that type of situation.

Quote Originally Posted by scotch06 View Post
    So what happened in the meeting?

LOL!

Good question, I think we'd all like to know.

A*Men is fantastic, but the strength of the fragrance puts a lot of people off.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    LOL!

Good question, I think we'd all like to know.
    HA. That's actually where I got the compliment. (hear that sjg3839?) It was probably my cocktail of Versace PH and A*Men. I may be on to something there. I did manage to reach that dry down after applying a KFC handi-wipe to the affected area. It was, however, less than "magical".

HA. That's actually where I got the compliment. (hear that sjg3839?) It was probably my cocktail of Versace PH and A*Men. I may be on to something there. I did manage to reach that dry down after applying a KFC handi-wipe to the affected area. It was, however, less than "magical".
    Glad you finally got a compliment. Man, I bet that KFC fried chicken smelled really good ( joking).

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Glad you finally got a compliment. Man, I bet that KFC fried chicken smelled really good ( joking).
    gourmand

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Perfume Guy View Post
    +1 above ^ ^ ^ ^

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Perfume Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    +1 above ^ ^ ^ ^

I have heard a lot of good things about the Thierry Mugler A*Men / Angel Men flankers. I have a Pure Malt sample coming in the mail. (ebay. hope it's good)

P.s. jhericurls I'll be sure to crack it open @ home.. just to be safe.

A*Men may have many virtues (and I seem to be insensitive to them), but subtlety is not one of them.

Rookie lol jk
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

There is a time and a plae for every fragrance--even the most wretched (in which case time and place would be at home for your own pleasure / interest / knowledge / analysis whatever).

I actually like A*Men, opening and drydown, although I only own a 2ml sample.

However, I once went to an extremely nice restaurant with my wife for a special occasion (I get to do this maybe once a year), and the guy at he next table was reeking of A*Men, and although it did not ruin the dinner per se, it just took more concentration and abstraction to enjoy the food.

For me, A*Men works in the evening, when you are going out to a bar, a smoke-filled club, or maybe a walk in the forest or at home alone. I wouldn't wear it to work or to an intimate date. But that's just me.

Once upon a time, way back when there would only be 3-4 bottles sitting atop my bureau, I bought a bottle of A*Men when it first came out. I went through it in maybe 8 years. I only remember ever applying 3-4 sprays underneath an undershirt. Wore it anytime/anywhere and only once got a negative comment... it was towards the very end of the bottle, we were working a trade show and moving around a lot, it exploded enough so that an ex-marine co-worker from another branch of the company, who I'd just met, caught all the patchouli and pegged me for 'hippie hold out from the seventies'. His words. We laughed about it over some beers a few years afterwards.

More recently, I fell into a local Nordstrums at lunch, spritzed some TF Urban Musk on one wrist and White Musk on the other. The White Musk is pretty floral and I was rather self-conscious the whole afternoon. I'll never do the 'lunchtime spritz' with anything again. Especially on exposed skin.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    Exaggerate much? One tiny little squirt on your wrist? Cmon man.
    Yup

I sprayedsome on my woollen jacket sleeve at Christamas and its still there.

Basenotes Plus

A*Men and Joop were two fragrances that the bands I was in back then used in far too much quantity.

I remember showing up to the club with five guys that all smelled like one large JOOP bomb.

subtlety was not one of our strong suits back then.

When shopping for fragrances, it's card only.....for 99% of the stuff i sample. MAYBE one fragrance makes it onto my wrist, and only a very small spritz.

Someone might be able to make some money by manufacturing some "fragrance away wipes" that could be sold to department stores and cosmetic counters (if it's indeed possible)

When I first sampled A*Men I did not care for it, but after the dry down I really started to like it. I think it is very nice. It's all subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFammo9 View Post
    Rookie lol jk
    You got that right man. That's exactly what I was thinking. Rookie mistake.

I have a Pure Malt sample to be delivered Thursday or Friday. So tell me straight up, should I even consider trying this for the first time Friday night (Valentine's), dinner with my wife? or should I take KFC wipes just in case?

A*Men is strong, quite strong, but not THAT strong. You're exaggerating a bit or you just really subjectively perceive it in such manner.

If you ever have that problem in the future, use rubbing alcohol to get the scent off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Lol, A*men is some pretty bad stuff, imo. I sampled one squirt, my husband said it smelled of nasty take-out food. I agreed, awful. Pure Malt is better, not something I would want a bottle of but it's better than A*men. Squirt Pure Malt on paper to sniff before trying on skin maybe.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

A*Men is way strong compared to the flankers. PM is kind of medium, and Pure Havane and TOF are really kind of subdued. YMMV of course.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Lol, A*men is some pretty bad stuff, imo. I sampled one squirt, my husband said it smelled of nasty take-out food. I agreed, awful. Pure Malt is better, not something I would want a bottle of but it's better than A*men. Squirt Pure Malt on paper to sniff before trying on skin maybe.
    Good advice. Sounds like I may save the Pure Malt for pool at Dave and Busters on Saturday and go with The One DG for Valentine's.

I once tried to show my girlfriend how great A*Men was. I kept swearing that once it "dried down" it would be great, it took a full scrub with soap and hot water, and then a few hours. She agreed that it smelled fantastic but it wasn't worth the time it took to transition.
    1) Chergui (Serge Lutens)
    2) Dior Homme Intense
    3) Aventus (Creed)
    4) Allure Homme Sport (Chanel)
    5) La Nuit De l'Homme (YSL)

While it's true that Pure Malt and Pure Havane are less, em, challenging than A*Men, and perhaps project a bit less flamboyantly, both have a similar cheap, synthetic, sort of crass vibe to me. As a blogger recently pointed out, Pure Malt smells like malt liquor (Colt 45 anyone?) not like scotch whisky. And Havane is syrupy (cloying) cherry and vanilla. These aren't the "living the fine life of whisky, leather armchairs, and cigars" refined fragrances they're marketed as, that's for sure. For what they are, they're fun and fine enough, but I find the whole line a bit immature and tacky in the end.

Ridiculous.

The women's Angel is even more potent, and I can't imagine a whole office acting like little kids if a woman showed up wearing it.

By the way, I've just read every post in this "Review" thread, and not one description of A*men is to be found.............including my post.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It is powerful stuff granted, but three sprays works just fine for me and lasts the whole day.

(4089)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    Yup
    Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    A*Men is strong, quite strong, but not THAT strong. You're exaggerating a bit or you just really subjectively perceive it in such manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Ridiculous.

The women's Angel is even more potent, and I can't imagine a whole office acting like little kids if a woman showed up wearing it.

By the way, I've just read every post in this "Review" thread, and not one description of A*men is to be found.............including my post.
    Regards,
    Renato
    ^^^^^^ This.

One Tiny Little Squirt ?
    Squirt this...Squirt that...What are we talking about here ? Nitroglycerine ?
    This fragrance is not even as potent as it used to be...

What happened next ?
    Don't tell me...I already know the story... After a whole day at the office and a few casualties later, when you went back home Lassie was expecting you...but unfortunately one of its puppies got too close and passed out...poor little thing was unaware of the preventive nuclear perimeter around your persona...

Perhaps, try 4711 Eau de Cologne...but remember, a half-spray tops...and not even directly on your body...spray in the air and walk through...

It wasn't Lassie. It was Old Yeller. And yes, we had to put him down.

photo.JPG

My Pure Malt sample just arrived. Dare I pop the cap here at work? Just kidding everyone. Please, give me a break.

Got it on ebay for $11.59, free shipping. 5ml sprayer is full, comes in a velvet looking little bag. Pretty classy looking sample. Impressed so far. I did smell the cap and it smells great ("magical", for you A*Men lovers). I won't be giving my unqualified reviews at this time, other than a thums up or down once I try it, but I'll be sure to let you know what I think.

Got it from healthy_center seller on ebay. I'll definatly be buying from her/him again. Let me know if you've dealt with this seller before.

photo.JPG

My Pure Malt sample just arrived. Dare I pop the cap here at work? Just kidding everyone. Please, give me a break.

Got it on ebay for $11.59, free shipping. 5ml sprayer is full, comes in a velvet looking little bag. Pretty classy looking sample. Impressed so far. I did smell the cap and it smells great ("magical", for you A*Men lovers). I won't be giving my unqualified reviews at this time, other than a thums up or down once I try it, but I'll be sure to let you know what I think.

Got it from healthy_center seller on ebay. I'll definatly be buying from her/him again. Let me know if you've dealt with this seller before.

Yes I have used healthy_center quite a few times. I ordered the same 5ml pure malt from them right before Christmas. If you look on Amazon, they have some other items they sell there that might interest you. Lately, I have been buying Aventus decants from them and it's all been quality stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by scotch06 View Post
    Yes I have used healthy_center quite a few times. I ordered the same 5ml pure malt from them right before Christmas. If you look on Amazon, they have some other items they sell there that might interest you. Lately, I have been buying Aventus decants from them and it's all been quality stuff.
    Stuff's pretty potent. Stuck my finger in the cap and I can't stop sniffing it. (that sounds wierd) I'll definately be ordering from them again. Puttin Creed right up on the top of my list. The little 5ml sprayer is nice. Actually looks like 5mls in there. 2 bucks an ml is a price I can live with. Although if the Pure Malt turns out as good as the preview I'll be looking for the big one. (make it up to my co-workers.. j/k)

Stuff's pretty potent. Stuck my finger in the cap and I can't stop sniffing it. (that sounds wierd) I'll definately be ordering from them again. Puttin Creed right up on the top of my list. The little 5ml sprayer is nice. Actually looks like 5mls in there. 2 bucks an ml is a price I can live with. Although if the Pure Malt turns out as good as the preview I'll be looking for the big one. (make it up to my co-workers.. j/k)
    Nice. Yeah I just picked up the 2013 Pure Malt from Fragrancenet, and am considering picking up a backup.