Code of Conduct

Default Worst price & hype increases after discontinuation or reformulation?

While understanding, for the most part, the increase in collectability of objects when they become rare, or at least appear to become rarer, the increase in price for fragrances after discontinuation or reformulation is intriguing. Reading old reviews and posts, there is occasionally a similar pattern where the fragrance is initially not very popular, acknowledgment of discontinuation happens, old stock slowly leaves shelves, and then it happens where the market recognizes that only secondary sellers are moving the product and prices jump. But it seems that these bottles are being bought at inflated prices for use, and not to maintain in new-in-box condition. Not being very experienced with fragrance, your picks for the most egregious cases would be helpful in looking further into this, if you consider this a valid observation anyway.

For reformulation, there at least seems to be sales, and therefore popularity, which would mean continued production & use. Though driving up the price on the older version indicates that it was underpriced the entire time of availability. For discontinuation, some scents seem to have not been so popular to begin with. Their change in price and desirability does not appear to be driven purely by the perceived quality of the product without heavy, heavy influence from the fact that it is in limited supply. The increase in price for previously mass-market scents might muddle things for discussions on pricing, material quality, and how it correlates to niche vs designer, although I suspect most would think it isn't relevant and cannot impact their viewpoint.

Default Re: Worst price & hype increases after discontinuation or reformulation?

Whether justified or not, vintage Patou Pour Homme is a good example of a fragrance that skyrocketed in price after being discontinued. Even though a good reformulation, if not the same IMO appeared, elevated prices remain for the vintage scent.

(4121)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Worst price & hype increases after discontinuation or reformulation?

M7 is a popular one.

What was once rubbish is now fantastic due to it's rarity and enormous price tag.

Hence -- a reformulation appears and people go mad over it.

Maybe it's all manipulated by the Houses? It's a sales ploy!

By man by D&G "By man" ...yes the Zebra looking one!
    Last edited by magnus611; 12th February 2014 at 03:03 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Gucci Rush, Envy & Pour Homme.

Apart from seconding mainly the Gucci scents, surprisingly also a discontinued Axe variation called Inca. Not the likeliest choice, yet a simple body spray bottle, not even the aftershave version (while an EDT of this was never released) is garnering prices that could easily buy full bottles of niche.

Rive gauche is one of the worst for this. They reformulate the juice so it's inferior in every way compared to the vintage. Then they give you less juice whilst charging you more than double for the pleasure.

Always look for the vintage tin can version if you want Rive Gauche in your collection or you will be sorry.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ultrared by Paco Rabanne was just released in 2008 I believe and prices are at $200!!
    Valentino V also which is not worth that amount IMO

And then there is Cuiron.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I chuckle at those dozen or so Cuiron bottles rotting on eBay almost 3 years now.

for swap/sale:

I'd nominate Gucci Pour Homme (2003). Not because it's a bad fragrance -- it's certainly not -- but because it wasn't hailed as a big masterpiece until after it was discontinued. I remember before that it would come up as a "pretty good" designer incense/wood scent, which it is. Of course it had its fans who thought the world of it, but these days its reputation has ballooned in its absence. It's good, but not as good as the eBay prices and "we miss it" memories would suggest.

M7 comes to mind.

There's a slightly better and readily available but far more expensive option with Tom Ford Oud Wood.

Gucci Pour Homme 2003 is a funny one. I bought 2 bottles back in late 2012 at Sephora, but by then it had been discontinued and was disappearing, so I really had to call around to find that second bottle. $72/100ml each. A few weeks later, I spotted it on ebay for $260. Wow. Prices calmed down after a while though, but still, it's a pricey one to buy now.

Pure Malt and Pure Havane were pretty hilarious. Then they were discontinued, prices went ape on ebay. I feel bad for people who paid over $250 a bottle, especially once Mugler started selling them again. Ouch.

That being said... you don't have to buy any of this stuff. Whether or not a fragrance is worth what someone is charging is something only you can decide. Smell the juice, look at the price and ask "Would I pay that much in order to own it?" Even at inflated prices, I think some scents are worth it - especially since some are a heck of a bargain at regular retail prices. I think Dior Homme is a perfect example of a scent that smells better and wears better than its price suggests. If it were discontinued, prices would easily jump to over $250 on ebay, and people would pay it. I also think that if Dior Homme and DHI had never been released, either of them could be released today as part of Dior's Prive line, and people would pay those prices. Luckily, Dior Homme is easily found for not that much money.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    M7 comes to mind.

There's a slightly better and readily available but far more expensive option with Tom Ford Oud Wood.
    That's a matter of opinion.
    I think vintage M7 blows Oud Wood away.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    By man by D&G "By man" ...yes the Zebra looking one!

Ever actually try it?

a REAL one? haha

Candies for Men. $150 a bottle. LOL.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Escada Pour Homme , is another one that has skyrocketed , certainly not worthy of the price thats being asked .
    Basala , long gone now is still good value at $250 , niche prices .
    cheers

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Dior Collection Privee. Prices in Europe were at €160 for the 500ml size approx. six years ago.... they have risen to over €400 and the bottle size has been reduced by 20%, (the 500ml bottle has been replaced by a 400ml bottle). LVMH dirty tricks....
    .....AND in this case it has nothing to do with reformulation or discontinuation....
    LVMH self inflated prices.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Blog Entries

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

I bought a big bottle (4.2oz) for just $75 a couple of years ago. Now, it's going for $160+ on ebay. Not as expensive as By Man by D&G, but it's still pretty high, IMO.

Maybe it's a case of you don't know what you have til it's gone?

I'm sure tons of people liked Envy, but not enough to matter apparently. So when it disappeared, we heard about it here in basenotes. Otherwise no one really cares.

Not many people have even heard of M7. The comparisons to Oud Wood don't make any sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Not many people have even heard of M7. The comparisons to Oud Wood don't make any sense to me.
    I agree with this. I don't think they smell alike at all. If anything, Oud Wood actually has a (synthetic) oud note, whereas with M7 has always read to me as an oud accord as a whole.

Viva la Free Market! Viva Shrewd Sellers! I think it's cool when savvy fragrance fans figure out the market value of discontinued fragrances and make handsome profits from them. This kind of stuff gives all fragrance collectors something to hope for. Seriously, who doesn't dream of finding that the stuff you bought at cheapo discount prices is suddenly worth a fortune? Right on to the sellers. If you don't like the idea of collectors making money in shrewd deals, don't buy from them. Your disapproval is certainly not going to affect market forces at large. Are we somehow operating under the mistaken impression that fragrance buying and selling is a public service? Seriously now, stop it. It's a business like any other. May you someday make a handsome profit on a fragrance you bought low and sold high. We should all be so lucky.

Sales on the secondary market is not really a legitimate business, unless one is duly reporting profits to the IRS. Market inefficiencies and swings in consumer tastes and preferences are simply realities, not things to necessarily be celebrated, and certainly not to be relied upon. And as a consumer, I have no particular desire to see prices rise. We should all be lucky, but none of us are, as luck is illusory.

And this is beyond the questions posed at the outset.

Quote Originally Posted by maricle View Post
    Sales on the secondary market is not really a legitimate business, unless one is duly reporting profits to the IRS.
    F*CK the IRS!

Oh snap.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Just did a sold item search on ebay and several bottles have sold recently, at what I consider be high (if not very high) prices. This is even the case for scents that don't get BN hype, so I think there is a minor phenomenon here, at the very least. It may not be enough to concern major companies (one way or the other), but there are just too many sales of a bunch of discontinued scents to call it all hype (and as I said, this is even true for scents with little or no BN hype or hype from any site, TMK).

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Ultrared by Paco Rabanne was just released in 2008 I believe and prices are at $200!!
    Valentino V also which is not worth that amount IMO
    That's shocking that a fragrance that was pretty much unknown and average at best would sell for that much. I remember smelling it and thinking it was ok, but $200. Really????

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Rive gauche is one of the worst for this. They reformulate the juice so it's inferior in every way compared to the vintage. Then they give you less juice whilst charging you more than double for the pleasure.

Always look for the vintage tin can version if you want Rive Gauche in your collection or you will be sorry.
    Great point....I have the tin can version and love it...
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Which is fantastic and worth every penny I paid....
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

M7 and DHI

I think we all complain about the prices until we find one of those fragrances at a really low price. I have two bottles of By Man. One which I use and the other which is boxed and sealed, this one I paid £30.00 for after finding it at the back of a Chemists fragrance cupboard. I could pretty much ask what I like for it if I went to sell it. But I probably won't. I was desperately short of money at the back end of last year, toyed with the idea of selling it, but just couldn't!

Also picked up a 100ml original formulation M7 for £50.00 a few weeks ago, I could sell it for three times that, but I won't, the original formulation is just too good to risk not being able to source another.

I've also picked up other originals in recent times, Versace L'Homme for £30, Rochas Macassar for £20 both of which I could sell for more than I paid as they are both sought after - not so much as By Man or M7 but the market price is starting to rise for both of those.

Gucci PH is one I am looking for a decent 100ml for, as I am running low on it, but as people have noted, the prices are getting silly.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Great point....I have the tin can version and love it...
    I also have the tin can version, bought from Walmart for a cool $25 only about a year ago. It was a mainstay there
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

All of them and they can keep them. It's esp pathetic when former bargain bin scents suddenly become expensive, e.g. Arpege pour Homme.