Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Oud Wood

Just entered the world of expensive fragrances (at least, expensive in my eyes!) and really love the smell of Oud Wood. So tempted to pull the trigger but every time I sample it, it seems to fade really quickly. Im surprised at this given the price bracket. Should I not worry about this and buy it anyway or is there a longer lasting alternative?!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tom Ford Oud Wood

Oud Wood is not a longevity monster..
    If you love it so much get an atomizer so you can spray throughout the day..

My suggestion would be the same as Tony's. I would get a $20 decant or small amount of the fragrance, wear it for a while and see if it's worth your $200. Personally, longevity is a big deal for me when spending top dollar on something expensive...but others here don't see an issue with it.

There are plenty of other westernized oud scents out there, so you might want to explore a little more before the purchase (especially at that price).

If you don't care too much about the synthetic take on the genre, you might look at the MFK ouds, the Kilian ouds, the Bond ouds, the Montale ouds. None of them smell much like oud (nor does the Tom Ford), but they're all respectable scents with solid lifespans. The Montale line seem to be some of the strongest available (lots of aroma chemicals in them), but they also have like forty "oud" variants or something.

If you wanted to look at scents that are perhaps closer to what oud actually smells like, you might look at Phoenicia.

To me, the Tom Ford is a nice scent with respectable projection / longevity -- meaning you're not forcing everyone in your presence to breath it in! But yes, it's quite a price for something that doesn't seem to perform as well as others. Good luck on the search!

Welcome!

It lasts decently on me, but as usual, longevity can vary across people; at those prices.

More importantly, if you've just started into niche, there are now dozen of niche ouds and several threads here discussing them. While the TF is good, you may actually prefer other ones. At those prices, it's worth smelling a few things around before committing. For instance, I find Dior Leather Oud much superior.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Welcome!For instance, I find Dior Leather Oud much superior.
    It's WAY superior, but be warned, OP, this one takes a little more bravery!

MdO's Oud is also very good indeed, although it's super pricey. Slumberhouse's Vikt is a very unusual twist on the genre, too.

I also really like Oud Wood. It seems to last on me. Leather Oud is indeed a great fragrance but as stated above it wears a bit differently. You can also explore a split of Oud Wood to start out with.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Thanks for the friendly replies. I was hoping there would be a UK split of Oud Wood available on the forum but no such joy. I have 50ml of Aventus Creed coming from Kron off his splits thread which I am looking forward to. I have to be careful with stronger ouds as although I love them, my missus does not share the same opinion!!! At least the TF oud is very subtle meaning it passes to wife test!
    Last edited by plantpot50; 12th February 2014 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plantpot50 View Post
    Should I not worry about this and buy it anyway or is there a longer lasting alternative?!!
    As has been suggested, less costly options might be a better choice and this way you might in the interim find something that appeals to you more.
    (4131)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I have to be careful with stronger ouds as although I love them, my missus does not share the same opinion!!! At least the TF oud is very subtle meaning it passes to wife test!
    Well, as much as I'd argue that you should wear what you like, taking your other half into consideration is smart! Given this, why not take a sniff at Creed's Royal Oud? It's neither oud nor royal, but it's a nice MOR spicy wood scent. Totally safe, totally easy to wear. Not much personality or character, but it doesn't really need it. And then pick up Realoud Feral from Phoenicia to balance things out a bit!

Well I bit the bullet today and bought a bottle of Oud Wood! I need to stay out of Selfridges for a little while now

So much for all of that good advice...

Enjoy your purchase.

Congrats and enjoy, it's an absolutely delicious fragrance.

Could of saved 40-50 on eBay

It's a matter of opinion what is "superior". I don't think Leather Oud is superior to Oud Wood at all.

And performance is also subject to different body chemistries. I get excellent performance out of Oud Wood. Easily 12 hours or more. The first 4-5 being the time it projects the most.
    It is not a projection monster on me, but I definitely know I'm wearing it and so do others.

Since it doesn't seem to work for you, you should probably look at a few other ones. Problem is I can't really think of anything that's like it.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    There are plenty of other westernized oud scents out there, so you might want to explore a little more before the purchase (especially at that price).............But yes, it's quite a price for something that doesn't seem to perform as well as others.
    Definitely.

And Oud Wood isn't nearly as good as its predecessor M7. Kind of a sad little fragrance even by Tom Ford's low standards.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    ".... I find Dior Leather Oud much superior.
    Putting it mildly.

________

Think this was actually intended as one of those Tom Ford prank threads. They're now on par with the low levels of consciousness consistently displayed by the Creed babies. Only difference is that's the generation that still wants fragrance to be anti-fragrance.
    Last edited by pluran; 14th February 2014 at 01:19 AM.

After a 'proper wear' of it today, it does seem to have pretty good staying power. Its by no means a Monster but I can definitely still smell it after 8 hours. Very pleased with my new purchase. I didn't buy off ebay as I had some credit left on a gift card from Selfridges, and there is no nicer feeling than walking out of a posh department store with your new purchase!
    Next on the list.................Tobacco Vanille

Basenotes Plus

Wink Re: Tom Ford Oud Wood

Next on the list.................Tobacco Vanille
    Indeed. Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    It's a matter of opinion what is "superior". I don't think Leather Oud is superior to Oud Wood at all.

And performance is also subject to different body chemistries. I get excellent performance out of Oud Wood. Easily 12 hours or more. The first 4-5 being the time it projects the most.
    It is not a projection monster on me, but I definitely know I'm wearing it and so do others.

Since it doesn't seem to work for you, you should probably look at a few other ones. Problem is I can't really think of anything that's like it.
    Same reaction here with this beauty and agree with suggestion couldn't put it better✔️
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "